Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
these days the kids are learning programming with javascript and python. that's hardly much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

RustyKnight posted:

I started to learn to code about a year ago and i started with javascript, now i moved to c++ basics and i still cant do poo poo, i am terrible computer toucher and i wish i could have enthusiasm to actually have fun with writing programs, any suggestions what could i do that would be entertaining? Right now it all seems like a chore.

come up with something that sounds cool and fun to make, and then make it

though javascript and c++ both excel at giving you tons of rope to accidentally hang yourself with, actually coding the poo poo is ultimately going to be a bit of a drag no matter what language you pick. instead think about it at a level or two up from that - how you're going to design and architect it, how you're going to divide up the functionality into pieces and connect them together

personally, I have a lot of fun screwing around with retro console programming. it's self-contained and limited enough to help you avoid a lot of common problems with personal projects, like scope creep and dependency hell, and it's both complicated and highly interactive so even small amounts of progress are immediately satisfying and rewarding. and working in assembly is a good way of learning why basic computer science concepts matter, which to me is a lot more important than learning what they are