Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

echinopsis posted:

Despite Dijkstra's famous judgement in 1975, "It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration",[11] BASIC was one of the few languages that was both high-level enough to be usable by those without training and small enough to fit into the microcomputers of the day, making it the de facto standard programming language on early microcomputers.

Dijkstra was a fack-idiot (I didn't find an English translation for fakki-idiootti so I lent you the word, no need to thank me) who cared more about an aspect of ADP (automatic data processing) that literally doesn't matter, i.e. "good programming" and poo poo on the only important aspect, i.e. the ability to produce working and useful software quickly and easily.

He sucks and is a big doodiehead.

BASIC is extremely good and cool and great and has allowed me to actually do useful things with computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not saying other programming languages are bad, except literally all object-oriented languages as they, unlike BASIC, result in human-unreadable code. COBOL is good for what it does. So is assembly code as it is linguistically exactly the same as BASIC proper. e: Well I guess it's actually the other way around, obviously.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dijkstra's problem was that he was coming from a soft science point of view trying to "solve" a non-problem in a hard science, i.e. linguistics.