Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
writing a poo poo rpg on my calculator to own the libs my gpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

pram posted:

it helps if youre working on something you care about

this. just work on stupid hobby poo poo that sounds fun in a friendly language

such as basic :v:

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 6, 2019

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

The Management posted:

program in assembly, it’s the best

there's no need when BASIC is close enough to the metal for anyone

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Gazpacho posted:

i enrolled in a basic programming class in TYOOL 1994 because the engineering program had a core programming requirement and the course used qbasic. the first day the instructor went through an overview of the DOS environment that included configuring the prompt to show the working directory. DOS prompt formats use "$d" as the format code for the directory and when the instructor got to that part he said "now type string d."

it is reasonable to believe that tim paterson chose the dollar sign for that purpose because he had a basic programming background and that seemed like a natural way to indicate a variable within a format. but i already wasn't excited about taking a basic course in 1994 and the idea that an instructor would say "string" and just expect people to understand a dollar sign irritated me enough to go enroll in the CS department's pascal course as a substitute

that seems like an overreaction. you didn't have to fly off the handle and do something crazy out of spite

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I enjoy being a basic nerd because pumpkin spice lattes are delicious and uggs are fun