Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the worst was when they decided that Java was a great teaching language.

"Ok guys everything is an object. Except for primitives. Oh and strings are objects even though we treat them like primitives"

"Ok there's no operator overloading except for when there is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FACT: my first programming language was postscript because I'd heard printers used it and i needed to print some things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

quakec was a lot of fun as well

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol did they actually think java was a great teaching language or was it just "well java is THE FUTURE so we should just get people started on it anyway and then everyone will be prepared for THE FUTURE"

idk what the motivation was. Honestly at the time the idea of a robust, complete, free, well-documented toolchain & stdlib was sort of revolutionary so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

and memory managed, don't forget memory managed. the main credible alternative at the time was C or C++ and with those the class spends half its time chasing memory errors

I think as a teaching language the main alternative at the time was Pascal which iirc was also memory managed?? idk it's been a long time.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

OldAlias posted:

is R a p-lang

i feel like it's a dsl

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you know what was good imo? Delphi. And I say this having written exactly two delphi programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

better that kids learn it in the classroom than on some streetcorner