Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i tried to program core war in qbasic once, managed to draw a title screen and then realized i had no idea how to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

idk what the motivation was. Honestly at the time the idea of a robust, complete, free, well-documented toolchain & stdlib was sort of revolutionary so
and memory managed, don't forget memory managed. the main credible alternative at the time was C or C++ and with those the class spends half its time chasing memory errors

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pascal was not memory managed and i believe, in the language as standardized, you could not even use its dynamic memory support for variable length arrays

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
getting back to the thread topic, visual basic probably would have been a reasonable option for schools to use at the time but microsoft was not really pushing it into education because it was already well on its way to business adoption

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i enrolled in a basic programming class in TYOOL 1994 because the engineering program had a core programming requirement and the course used qbasic. the first day the instructor went through an overview of the DOS environment that included configuring the prompt to show the working directory. DOS prompt formats use "$d" as the format code for the directory and when the instructor got to that part he said "now type string d."

it is reasonable to believe that tim paterson chose the dollar sign for that purpose because he had a basic programming background and that seemed like a natural way to indicate a variable within a format. but i already wasn't excited about taking a basic course in 1994 and the idea that an instructor would say "string" and just expect people to understand a dollar sign irritated me enough to go enroll in the CS department's pascal course as a substitute

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 9, 2019

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't regret it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Lol that anyone teaches operator overloading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
its true that dijkstra was a hopeless math nerd but he was also looking back from algol 60 which was revolutionary in a way that can be hard to appreciate. BASIC was trying to solve the problems of 1950s languages without the benefit of the work that algol had already done, much like PHP trying to make webdev easy without knowing anything about PLs or especially how subversion "fixed" CVS by hacking changelists on top of it