Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.chicagotribune.com/real...ted~curatedpage

quote:

Former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama continue to expand their real estate holdings outside Chicago, with the closing Wednesday of their $11.75 million purchase of a seven-bedroom, 6,892-square-foot mansion on 29.3 acres in Edgartown, Massachusetts, on Martha’s Vineyard.

Public records in Dukes County, Massachusetts, show that a land trust that bears the name of the estate’s street address paid $11.75 million for the estate and also took out a $7.05 million mortgage from J.P. Morgan for the property. The trustee of that trust is James F. Reynolds, a lawyer in Edgartown.

The Obamas bought the estate from Boston Celtics lead owner Wyc Grousbeck and his former wife, Corinne, who first had listed it for $22.5 million in 2015 and then cut their asking price to $16.25 million in August 2018. In July, they cut their asking price to $14.85 million.

The Grousbecks paid $3.15 million for the property in 1998 and built the mansion several years later, according to public records. The architectural firm that designed the mansion was Brandenburger Taylor Lombardo Architects of San Francisco, according to the Vineyard Gazette.

The Grousbecks’ listing agents, Gerret Conover and Thomas LeClair of LandVest Martha’s Vineyard, declined to comment on any aspects of the sale. They only were willing to say 2019 was a year full of record sales on Martha’s Vineyard, along with generally strong interest from buyers for properties on the island.

The Obamas had rented the estate this past summer and had been longtime summer guests on Martha’s Vineyard, renting homes there for all but one of the years that they occupied the White House. Features in their new mansion include eight baths, vaulted ceilings, a living room with a stone fireplace, a master suite with a fireplace and a private sundeck, an outdoor fireplace, a pool and two guest wings. The L-shaped property also has a private beach and a boathouse on Edgartown Great Pond, which is in the southeast corner of Martha’s Vineyard.

The other two properties that the Obamas own are their six-bedroom, 6,243-square-foot mansion in the South Side Kenwood neighborhood, which they purchased for $1.65 million in 2005, and their nine-bedroom, 6,441-square-foot mansion in Washington, D.C.’s, Kalorama neighborhood, which they purchased from onetime White House press secretary Joe Lockhart and his wife, Giovanna, in 2017 for $8.1 million.

Also, earlier this year, Michelle Obama rented a seven-bedroom, 12,800-square-foot contemporary-style mansion on Swallow Drive in Los Angeles’ Hollywood Hills, which has an open-air shark aquarium, a humidor room and a movie theater. That mansion remains on the market for $22.9 million.

The Obamas’ Martha’s Vineyard purchase first was reported by the Vineyard Gazette.

absolute meritocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
make that money, obama

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hope and change

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
*counting $400k salary times 8 on fingers, repeatedly, growing increasingly confused and flummoxed each time*

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

weird for someone who supposedly believes in climate change to buy a house so close to the sea, that artificial shoreline won't do much against a real storm surge today, let alone in ten or twenty years

unless..... [thinking in silence for six hours straight] wow it would be hosed up if he didn't believe any of the poo poo he said he did, huh

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
when do you think obama was invited to his first elite sex party

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

What exactly do you think it was that the choom gang was really up to?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SpaceGoku posted:

weird for someone who supposedly believes in climate change to buy a house so close to the sea, that artificial shoreline won't do much against a real storm surge today, let alone in ten or twenty years

unless..... [thinking in silence for six hours straight] wow it would be hosed up if he didn't believe any of the poo poo he said he did, huh

He's gonna scam someone into buying the home op

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Lawman 0 posted:

"America's first black president shat upon this ivory inlay toliet".

Yeah, some dipshit will pay premium for that.

OTOH, that "mansion" looks like a McMansion from the outside, just with more room. Can't even make a good looking house for $insane these days.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lawman 0 posted:

maybe not, I sat in on some of my liberal beach city's special climate action committee meetings. Their review found that paving over everything has already created pavement ovens a few miles inland that are going to bake their poor to death. They could stop approving more high rises and reduce that ny building more green public spaces like parks, but they're opting to spend most of their funds to either build seawalls or compensate the rich home and landowners that risk losing their beach front property in the next 20 years
Obama won't need to sell his property if we just pay to hold back the sea as long as possible, then compensate his family when we fail to lol

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Dec 6, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
doesn’t look like a very defensible position. lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks Obama :)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joey Steel posted:

OTOH, that "mansion" looks like a McMansion from the outside, just with more room. Can't even make a good looking house for $insane these days.

at a certain point you gotta figure this is the deliberate neoliberal aesthetic

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Obama handed free reign of his administration to the powers of finance, and they took care of him real well.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

horseshoe home

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this is the perfect place to see Emma Watson beatbox for Lin-Manuel Miranda's rap on gender equality

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Joey Steel posted:

"America's first black president shat upon this ivory inlay toliet".

Yeah, some dipshit will pay premium for that.

Yeah say what you will about his plutocrat bosses but those guys actually have some style

The virgin neoliberal versus the chad Putinite

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah say what you will about his plutocrat bosses but those guys actually have some style

now's as good a time as any to link up Betsy Devos' mansion with 13 porches and a yacht dock built into it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Victory Position posted:

now's as good a time as any to link up Betsy Devos' mansion with 13 porches and a yacht dock built into it

:barf: our education system had to die for that piece of poo poo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

if grover had a lot more money and a lot more time, the eventual result of his haus would be that maison

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
it's close to the ocean. good

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Al! posted:

it's close to the ocean. good

drat. nice. osama bin laden sea burial/obama secret muslim joke. very sly........

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Victory Position posted:

this is the perfect place to see Emma Watson beatbox for Lin-Manuel Miranda's rap on gender equality

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it is absolutely the Obamaest kind of house you could get: it can't look too fancy or interesting because that would be gauche and placing an idiosyncratic personal vision over vaguely defined middle class aesthetics; it shows total contempt for the idea of building with the future in mind because the now is supposed to be forever; and yet it still costs $20 million, somehow.

all it really lacks is a CIA blacksite in the gardener's shed and I'm sure they'll get that fixed up quickly.

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 6, 2019

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it is absolutely the Obamaest kind of house you could get: it can't look too fancy or interesting because that would be gauche and placing an idiosyncratic personal vision over vaguely defined middle class aesthetics; it shows total contempt for the idea of building with the future in mind because the now is supposed to be forever; and yet it still costs $20 million, somehow.

all it really lacks is a CIA blacksite in the gardener's shed and I'm sure they'll get that fixed up quickly.

It's so bland you can tell he really is a white man trapped in a black man's body.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Still amazed at how much trevor sucks

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

more like trevor moa

get it, because he is like a extinct flightless bird

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Percelus posted:

more like trevor moa

get it, because he is like a extinct flightless bird

Great crossword clue, tyvm

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Uncle Wemus posted:

Still amazed at how much trevor sucks

These books pair perfectly

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Coolness Averted posted:

These books pair perfectly

trevor noah: born a class traitor

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Victory Position posted:

pringles can of shame
9 (probably more) styles of windows
disproportionate and unneccessary columns
the house has two different styles of columns, at that
too many planes on the roof

it's like a collage of everything in mcmansion hell

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

why the 6 bedrooms?

they have only 2 children and the girls have already left the nest

i don’t understand

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

are the obamas swingers? do they have many overnight guests?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Flowers For Algeria posted:

why the 6 bedrooms?

i don’t understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFJBd40Awo&t=18s

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Even more confirmation for Obama's basic taste in everything.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheDemocratParty.jpg

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Those fireplaces in the distant corners of the house are gonna be real useful in a new england winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flowers For Algeria posted:

why the 6 bedrooms?

i don’t understand

watch succession, or also entourage works too. rich people travel in packs.