Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Gears of War 2

Gears of War 2 was a very popular game. I couldn't go anywhere without hearing about it or Gears 3. I'm also a huge fan of cover-based shooters, so I should've jumped right on that Cole Train. I didn't though, because I was too busy playing many far weirder shooters. Things like Dark Void, Operation Raccoon City, Mindjack, and so on. I even got around to Sleeping Dogs long before I finally played Gears 2. After finally having sat down and experienced it, I can say I at least understand the hype and popularity.

What is Gears 2 like?

Gears 2 is a third-person shooter that largely revolves around taking cover from enemy fire and returning fire of your own. Sounds simple, yeah? This game and its associated series are what popularized the “cover-based” shooter: Games where you enter arenas and are expected to spend a majority of the time popping around between walls and scenery to gain an advantageous position on your enemies. The merit of this sub-genre is hotly debated, but I think it's fantastic. Having dedicated places to take cover for yourself and the enemies really creates a sense of “gaining ground” and adds a strategic element to every shoot-out. I won't say that Gears 2 does the cover mechanics the best, but it does them well and the controls are intuitive.

Why this one?

The original Gears of War was more atmospheric and a bit slower, focusing on world-building and subtle tension. Gears 2, on the other hand, is a shooter. You shoot in it. I'm playing this one because I like shooters and I want to shoot things more often. The original game is its own work and should be appreciated on its own merits, but not a lot gets accomplished in its story. I'll fill you in on the gaps a bit as we play.

What kind of LP is this?

Post-commentary. I'll know where I'm going, what I'm doing, and what enemies spawn where, so it won't look like I'm running around clueless. It's not my favorite game, but it is well-designed, so I want to make it look good.

And just in case no one's seen the game before, somehow, please try to avoid spoilers. Though I strongly suspect most people will have experienced the story in some format already.

Videos

Welcome to Delta

Desperation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm interested in this game but Gears really soured me on cover-based shooters because it felt like every game after its release tried to ape its graphics and atmosphere.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I'm interested in this game but Gears really soured me on cover-based shooters because it felt like every game after its release tried to ape its graphics and atmosphere.

I can't remember too many games that were too similar aside from Quantum Theory, but I'll do some research and maybe bring up any others I find in future videos.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I can't remember too many games that were too similar aside from Quantum Theory, but I'll do some research and maybe bring up any others I find in future videos.

Several did. They were mostly forgettable. The two that percolate in my brain as "gears of war style cover shooting" is Wanted (The game based on the movie based on the comic) and Dark Sector.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Calax posted:

Several did. They were mostly forgettable. The two that percolate in my brain as "gears of war style cover shooting" is Wanted (The game based on the movie based on the comic) and Dark Sector.

Wasn't Dark Sector in development long before Gears? I'll boot it up since I have it around here and check it out. I'll buy that Wanted has a similar visual and gameplay style, but I don't own that one yet.

I'm more talking about games that mimicked GoW's style so closely that it's a case of "money over creativity". I adore most cover-based shooters, so I'm aware of GoW inspiring the creation of a new sub-genre.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

You could try Gears Granddaddy Killswitch for the PS2 (CliffyB said that Killswitch was the origin of the cover shooting mechanic)

There's also the 50 cent games, and one could argue Army of two traces it's linage to Gears.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Along with Time Shift, albeit only for the first level. this was done to please publishers. Though that's only for atmosphere, not actual mechanics.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Calax posted:

You could try Gears Granddaddy Killswitch for the PS2 (CliffyB said that Killswitch was the origin of the cover shooting mechanic)

There's also the 50 cent games, and one could argue Army of two traces it's linage to Gears.

Army of Two is definitely similar to Gears, played that one recently. I've always wanted to try KILL.SWITCH, but never got around to it. Winback had cover shooting long before it did, though.

SSNeoman posted:

Along with Time Shift, albeit only for the first level. this was done to please publishers. Though that's only for atmosphere, not actual mechanics.

Was TimeShift an FPS? I always get it confused with HAZE.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Was TimeShift an FPS? I always get it confused with HAZE.

Yes, IIRC they both are. Except of course Time Shift is actually creative and good unlike HAZE

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kill.Switch is okay, but Gears definitely improved the formula in my opinion. Gears 2 just made it even better.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Yes, IIRC they both are. Except of course Time Shift is actually creative and good unlike HAZE

I don't know much about HAZE, but I came into possession of it at some point. I liked the cover art.

Dash Rendar posted:

Kill.Switch is okay, but Gears definitely improved the formula in my opinion. Gears 2 just made it even better.

What do you think Gears 2 improved on, from the original Gears? I know some people disliked Berserkers and the Kryll, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

What do you think Gears 2 improved on, from the original Gears? I know some people disliked Berserkers and the Kryll, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Yeah, Berserkers never troubled me much and as a big fan of Vin Diesel's Riddick movies, I always enjoyed the Kryll more than most. I just always felt Gears of War 1 was a bit rough. Great game, don't get me wrong. I sunk hours upon hours into it. My old roommates and I played that game up and down, bugs and all. It was our first cover shooter experience (I checked out Kill.Switch after the fact) and we dug the hell out of it. Co-op was our biggest draw, obviously. Warts and all.

Gears of War 2 just felt that much more polished. The gameplay felt tighter, the weapons felt better, the graphics were more lush (and colourful, if we're being honest), and the story was just that much tighter. The details felt more polished. The optional tutorial mission with Carmine, for example. Just well told. We enjoyed playing it just for the hell of it, even though we were familiar with the game. The characters just had that much more depth.

I might say that Gears of War 1 is a 4/5 star game. It was real good. Real drat good--it just didn't feel polished like some other games. It was rough around the edges and it showed. Gears of War 2 felt like what Gears of War 1 wanted to be. Only I'd give GoW 2 a 4/5 stars too. While it did everything better than the first, in my opinion, I never felt that it broke off and became its own thing. It was polished, sure, but that original wow factor that I got from GoW 1 had already faded.

Still, I loved the game. I never played GoW 3 or beyond, 'cause I wound up selling my 360 before I could get my hands on it. It's probably the only game I miss. That and the Halo series--but now that that's all on PC, that only leaves the first few Gears games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dash Rendar posted:

Yeah, Berserkers never troubled me much and as a big fan of Vin Diesel's Riddick movies, I always enjoyed the Kryll more than most. I just always felt Gears of War 1 was a bit rough. Great game, don't get me wrong. I sunk hours upon hours into it. My old roommates and I played that game up and down, bugs and all. It was our first cover shooter experience (I checked out Kill.Switch after the fact) and we dug the hell out of it. Co-op was our biggest draw, obviously. Warts and all.

Gears of War 2 just felt that much more polished. The gameplay felt tighter, the weapons felt better, the graphics were more lush (and colourful, if we're being honest), and the story was just that much tighter. The details felt more polished. The optional tutorial mission with Carmine, for example. Just well told. We enjoyed playing it just for the hell of it, even though we were familiar with the game. The characters just had that much more depth.

I might say that Gears of War 1 is a 4/5 star game. It was real good. Real drat good--it just didn't feel polished like some other games. It was rough around the edges and it showed. Gears of War 2 felt like what Gears of War 1 wanted to be. Only I'd give GoW 2 a 4/5 stars too. While it did everything better than the first, in my opinion, I never felt that it broke off and became its own thing. It was polished, sure, but that original wow factor that I got from GoW 1 had already faded.

Still, I loved the game. I never played GoW 3 or beyond, 'cause I wound up selling my 360 before I could get my hands on it. It's probably the only game I miss. That and the Halo series--but now that that's all on PC, that only leaves the first few Gears games.

I love seeing posts like this about why people love games, it makes my day. It's why I make these videos. Ironically, Gears of War 2 feels a lot different to me, tone-wise. More of an action film and less of a black, artsy traversal around a broken Eart-... I mean Sera. I prefer Gears 2 mostly because there's more shooting in it. Even if I hate the vehicles.

Speaking of Kill.Switch, I was really impressed by how atmospheric and downright brutally cold that game was in its narrative. Sharp cuts from dramatic flashbacks and broken memories to unapologetic violence.