Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what build system
intern manually running tasks by hand
some gigantic proprietary system that only runs on windows
random link to github project with no commit in 3 years
goku
View Results

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
alright so i'm at the end of my wits and i want to take an automatic rifle and fire 30 rounds into our bamboo server because it's such a steaming poo poo pile of trash that was suggested and approved behind my back years ago.

however, i'm in the position to have complete control of all tech decisions at my company, and i'm going to force everyone to learn something new here because bamboo sucks. it's slow as poo poo, it can't handle project dependencies in a sane way, and everything about it is just horrible.

i know there's gotta be something good out there (lol)

so if you had your way, with complete control over the decision, what build system would YOU use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

loving lol

jenkins

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i just use ant, op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i guess the title should have been "build servers" not "build systems" but whatever

i just need to be freed from this prison

i looked at ovh's CDS: https://ovh.github.io/cds/ which seems kinda cool but i've never heard of it before.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

oh i see, ok i guess that I feel that jenkins is least bad? although it's still very bad.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i used travis once and it seemed not awful but also seemed like it had too much magic in it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

i used travis once and it seemed not awful but also seemed like it had too much magic in it

travis got sold to a company that immediately fired almost all the engineers and then it had multiple day downtime

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my opinion on builds and configuration management generally is that if the entire rest of the earth is to suddenly turn to molten slag except for your office, and for some reason you still have power, you should be able to build and deploy normally.

The thing where people rely on this host of third-party, off-prem services (github, npm, travis, etc) to simply build and deploy their own software is insane to me.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah i would never use off-premise stuff, plus, we can't, due to requirements dictated by certain global powers

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I'm actually pretty OK with bamboo tbh

I ran a Jenkins server for a while to manage my team's builds, it was OK but very fiddly and hard to get right

Eventually I migrated to our company-wide Bamboo server. Overall it works pretty good, plus IT janitors it and that's a plus in my book

Use it with exclusively remote build agents though - using local agents is setting yourself up for a whole new world of bullshit

op, does your dept keep the Bamboo server up-to-date? Atlassian develops it pretty actively

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2019

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jenkins kinda sucks

idk op maybe gitlab ci?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i looked at ovh's CDS: https://ovh.github.io/cds/ which seems kinda cool but i've never heard of it before.

generally i feel like wedging your Special Business Processes into someone elses Cool Framework after the fact is always gonna be a hassle and feel awkward

honestly i feel like just rolling your own in this instance might not be the worst idea, but obvy i don't know your requirements.

quote:

i just need to be freed from this prison

YOSPOS: i just need to be freed from this prison

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

honestly i feel like just rolling your own in this instance might not be the worst idea, but obvy i don't know your requirements.

please for the love of god

do not do this

those that come after you will be guaranteed to curse your name as they wade through your mess of shell scripts and cron jobs

Unless your goal is to be the CI janitor until you quit, use a system that your QA team can help manage, and your IT team can support

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

alright so i'm at the end of my wits and i want to take an automatic rifle and fire 30 rounds into our bamboo server because it's such a steaming poo poo pile of trash that was suggested and approved behind my back years ago.

however, i'm in the position to have complete control of all tech decisions at my company, and i'm going to force everyone to learn something new here because bamboo sucks. it's slow as poo poo, it can't handle project dependencies in a sane way, and everything about it is just horrible.

i know there's gotta be something good out there (lol)

so if you had your way, with complete control over the decision, what build system would YOU use?

no. there are no good build servers because theres only one good build system (maven) and you cant use it with .NET.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we use maven but its currently invoked by bamboo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

those that come after you

they don't work here yet, i say gently caress 'em.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just use make, op. it runs everywhere. my build server is a script that watches git and runs make.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

just write python, op. dont need to build anything :smug:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we use bamboo at work and it seems alright, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenkins is funny because you need a plug-in to replace the blue balls with green ones.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

does anyone anywhere use groovy for anything that isn't jenkins? because i fuckin hate it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we use maven but its currently invoked by bamboo

build something yourself that just runs maven builds.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

rotor posted:

does anyone anywhere use groovy for anything that isn't jenkins? because i fuckin hate it.

rundeck. which can also be used like jenkins i guess

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

I just use make, op. it runs everywhere. my build server is a script that watches git and runs make.

make is good

custom build servers are bad, don't do them

not even once

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

make is good

custom build servers are bad, don't do them

not even once

make is good but running make on a remote machine is bad

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
for me, build nirvana is:

- bamboo turns on my AWS build machine
- bamboo tells it to run a build
- the actual build is as easy as 'make all', make is good for wrapping other complex junk
- bamboo archives the results
- there's a manual step that promotes and publishes the builds

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

for me its:

an ant script gets triggered as a post-commit hook and emails me the results.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

we are previously on only jenkins and a lot of shims that force stuff not in java to build via jenkins

jenkins and our git repo also hook into each other to make snapshot builds while working on a tag and branch

we are now moving to people making docker containers of everything that self build and deploying to kubernetes, but this is still mostly backed by jenkins and maven compiling the project and pulling in the jar or package from jenkins to the docker repo

it works pretty well

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

make is good

yeah if you want to have only one build config per source tree and also intermediary build files littered across your entire source tree
its not the seventies anymore grandpa

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zlodo posted:

and with that attitude it never will be.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

rotor posted:

The thing where people rely on this host of third-party, off-prem services (github, npm, travis, etc) to simply build and deploy their own software is insane to me.

Yeah but it also makes collaboration really easy which is why it's so attractive

bestbrents
Dec 2, 2002

Pillbug
I've been using the open source version of drone.io for a while. It's basically like travis/circleci which all the cool kids are using these days but you can host it yourself, its kubernetes native so easy to host, you can test your builds locally on your laptop using their cli, and each build 'step' is just a command in a docker container so you can look at the code if you're stumped. I will never go back to jenkem.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Zlodo posted:

yeah if you want to have only one build config per source tree and also intermediary build files littered across your entire source tree

Make is good for wrapping other things, because literally its whole job is to run shell scripts.

Use CMake, autotools, or whatever - they're all good too. But it's nice having a top-level Makefile that you can use to kick off your cmake commands and junk.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Yeah but it also makes collaboration really easy which is why it's so attractive

yeah but collaboration implies there are other humans and as we all know this is a recipe for disaster

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Zlodo posted:

this is some amateur level poo poo, son. learn make and use it like a pro.

Poopernickel posted:

Make is good for wrapping other things, because literally its whole job is to run shell scripts.

this is literally the opposite of its job.

kids these days

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

op can you describe your needs more (# builds, # developers, particular builds system or test results needs, etc etc)

also how has gocd not been mentioned yet, is it actually worse than jenkins

gocd was what i was looking longingly towards as a point release upgrade of the jenkins ec2 cloud plugin was deadlocking the entire jenkins build queue 3-5 times a day for a week because the shoemaker refuses to wear or make shoes for their family and test their loving builds

it still doesnt seem to have great github PR building support though

the truth is everything is terrible and it’s a matter of what sucks the least

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
we do almost everything with declarative jenkins pipeline builds + docker and it's not exactly simple to setup, but it's nice. like thousands of devs on dozens of teams with wildly different needs and all builds go through the same infra. java, c++, python, iOS, android, jabbascript, etc. spits out an artifact and

just pipeline + a Jenkinsfile you can version control is amazing cuz you no longer have to click through Jenkins build config history to find out who the fucker was who changed the config and now the goddamn build is broken again!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah pipelines are pretty good if you have to have something like that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Maven status: still bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Also rip if your company uses bamboo, it’s not bad apart from maven but the world will punish you forever for using it and not Jenkins