Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what build system
intern manually running tasks by hand
some gigantic proprietary system that only runs on windows
random link to github project with no commit in 3 years
goku
View Results

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gazpacho posted:

Maven status: still bad

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maven rules and is the only good build system.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Share Bear posted:

a lot of shims that force stuff not in java to build
Sums up the build situation at my lastco pretty well

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

Maven is the clearcase of build systems

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is clearcase really good? ive never used it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

convention over configuration can suck my rear end

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
convention over configuration just means the configuration is hardcoded

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jenkem

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i had to write a bamboo plugin that let me define a static file to drop into the build directory of a project right before it builds. for whatever reason the suggested mechanism in bamboo is to write a bash script that generates the file.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

write a bash script

good advice imo

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

rotor posted:

yeah but collaboration implies there are other humans and as we all know this is a recipe for disaster

didn't think about that

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maven's good, outlook isn't

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i had to write a bamboo plugin that let me define a static file to drop into the build directory of a project right before it builds. for whatever reason the suggested mechanism in bamboo is to write a bash script that generates the file.
Alternately use bamboo to send a signal to the build command (via env var, command line) telling it to drop the file. (This assumes a build tool that can readily be instructed to do particular use-case specific tasks at specific times)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
hosted CI = no

don't do it, not even once

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
jenkins pipelines are a big improvement over the old approach of configuring things in the bad web ui, but the fact that they're a pipeline rather than a dependency graph is awful and makes a lot of our builds take 2-3x longer than they would otherwise.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
just stop building your code

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

just type "make clean all" and go get a coffee

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

how is it better than dotnet??

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Plorkyeran posted:

jenkins pipelines are a big improvement over the old approach of configuring things in the bad web ui, but the fact that they're a pipeline rather than a dependency graph is awful and makes a lot of our builds take 2-3x longer than they would otherwise.

thats the one reason why i was interested in that CDS server because it does builds and deployments as a dependency graphs with gates that block the flow until something triggers it.

and the build can be defined in the code itself.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
a server for credit default swaps? is your startup looking for investors :getin:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

drone rules jenkins drools

it took like 1-2 hours to get working from scratch (with the k8s integration) across a bunch of repos and most of that was me screwing up the hooks config

no more stupid flakes from CI that’s built on a foundation of sand (no offense rotor)

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 21, 2019

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaggar posted:

let me put it this way: it is very bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kazinsal posted:

this guy gets it

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

let me put it this way: it is very bad

he’d love it then

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

if someone finds a good one let me know because we just click build in VS lol

Shaggar posted:

it's incredibly bad, like just astonishingly bad.

example from when we had it: there was precisely one guy that was the clearcase admin or whatever and you had to go to him to fix any problems, one day I couldn't access anything so I mailed him and 2 days later he just came back with "idk I think your profile is hosed" and it never worked again. reinstalls, new profiles, didn't matter.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

alright so if not maven what am I supposed to use to build my trash java apps?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

dont build them at all, tia

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

dads friend steve posted:

alright so if not maven what am I supposed to use to build my trash java apps?
gradle, which can be a DSL when you need a DSL but also allows you to say "now do this" because the apache foundation actually hasn't thought of everything that a build system might ever need to do

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

oh my god no

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
go on

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

it sounds like ANT where I need to understand each projects bespoke build process instead of relying on the tool enforcing a consistent system that works in all realistic cases

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I guess I should add that I view it as a feature that maven forces you to conform to it and enforces a fairly high barrier to entry (building your own plugin) to diverge

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
gradle provides modules that can be configured similar to maven using far more efficient and readable syntax (lol @ hand-edited xml)

however it is magical thinking to suppose that these pre-existing modules will always cover the emergent needs of any organization and for those cases gradle lets you go procedural as needed, reusing parts of those modules at the level where they are indeed reusable

maven's architecture is that any emergent need has to be captured immediately as a plugin, before you can proceed at all. you don't get to express it procedurally at first so that you can feel out the requirements and what the configuration points are. this pushes you to create "reusable" plugins that are not in fact reusable and should be done over, but we know that necessary do-overs have a way of not ever happening

(though in observed practice people will just hack in an antrun goal rather than create a plugin, while crossing their fingers that it doesn't conflict with maven's "opinions" about goal sequencing, because bro there's a friggin deadline)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

unless there’s some hidden manual for mvn args that don’t suck, gradle is much better ootb

my shell history is full of

mvn clean package -DskipTests=true -am -pl :the-package-I-actually-want

followed by

mvn clean package -DskipTests=false -amd -pl :the-package-I-actually-want

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I know that pain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

how is it better than dotnet??

in every way.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
More like circumvention over configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

gradle provides modules that can be configured similar to maven using far more efficient and readable syntax (lol @ hand-edited xml)

however it is magical thinking to suppose that these pre-existing modules will always cover the emergent needs of any organization and for those cases gradle lets you go procedural as needed, reusing parts of those modules at the level where they are indeed reusable

maven's architecture is that any emergent need has to be captured immediately as a plugin, before you can proceed at all. you don't get to express it procedurally at first so that you can feel out the requirements and what the configuration points are. this pushes you to create "reusable" plugins that are not in fact reusable and should be done over, but we know that necessary do-overs have a way of not ever happening

(though in observed practice people will just hack in an antrun goal rather than create a plugin, while crossing their fingers that it doesn't conflict with maven's "opinions" about goal sequencing, because bro there's a friggin deadline)

lol this guy is dumb as gently caress and is a great example of how not understanding maven is a sure sign of a terrible programmer.

theres no such thing as an "emergent need" in java development. if you think you have some new an unique build requirement you actually don't. you don't understand what you're doing and you need to stop and rethink things.

even if you did have some "emergent need" it would only be because you have developed some completely new concept in which case you should put it in a plugin so it can be tested separately from your builds and reused consistently across all of your projects. if you don't understand why this is important, you 1) didn't have an emergent need and 2) don't understand what you're doing.

When you are copying and pasting procedural build code from project to project then congrats you loving dumb poo poo you're doing exactly what maven does but 100x worse because you will never be consistent and changes made to the process for project B will never make it back to project A.

dads friend steve posted:

it sounds like ANT where I need to understand each projects bespoke build process instead of relying on the tool enforcing a consistent system that works in all realistic cases

correct. gradle is dogshit for morons.