Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what build system
intern manually running tasks by hand
some gigantic proprietary system that only runs on windows
random link to github project with no commit in 3 years
goku
View Results

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

thats the one reason why i was interested in that CDS server because it does builds and deployments as a dependency graphs with gates that block the flow until something triggers it.

and the build can be defined in the code itself.

this is absolutely what i want more of and i have yet to figure out a pleasant solution, but i can usually hack something together with jenkins

and by that i mean i actually use jenkins-job-builder and make sure everything is under revision control. i feel like most jenkins hate, like so many things, is driven by using it in ways that are way too bespoke and unwieldy. like, maybe you don't need a zillion plugins for something that could be accomplished with a shell script that's actually testable and maintainable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

I'm not reallly aware of a better solution.

rotor posted:

Again, that doesn't mean it's good.

this echoes my thoughts on make, with which i have done amazing and possibly torturous things

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
anyone used automation they *liked* to automatically merge approved pull requests in GH? i'd used bors a long time ago and the new generation (bors-ng) looks pretty great for automatically batching up lots of merge requests (i.e. you don't do it manually anymore), waiting for CI to mark your batched commits as good (on a staging branch), and then fast-forwarding master. so no more crazy logjam of 'urgh well i have to wait 20 minutes for CI to pass before I can merge this next PR, at which point master has changed and I have to update my branch and let it re-pass CI before I can even hit the merge button, and then do this for all of my other goddamn PRs'

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
mostly what crip said but ultimately it's that people work on feature/fix branches and our test suites take just long enough (they're not really That Long) that it requires more manual janitoring than it should on the part of engineers to actually get something in once it's been reviewed/approved; imo it's reasonable to want some automation around doing the actual integration outside of 'the tests passed the last time i ran them'

ultimately it strikes me as pretty sane to batch that stuff up and test them on a staging branch anyway when you've already tested branches independently; i like that bors-ng is smart enough to bisect back on any failures to report whatever actually caused issues with integration. the smoothest shops i've ever worked at also batched up merges instead of every single (merge) commit getting its own release, but i could see lots of arguments depending on how you wanna do things

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i am also a weirdo that kinda likes monorepos most of the time because the alternative is often even less manageable and leads to more confusion and anguish

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
totes, mostly i just want to remove the janitorial aspect of submitters having to talk amongst themselves to figure out when they can *actually* get merged long after the consensus is that it's fine and safe

welp i'm gonna play with bors-ng and hope for the best; in the long-run, yeah, shortcuts to skip unnecessary tests for everything but F.I.N.A.L. M.E.R.G.E. sounds like the right direction to further reduce turnaround times

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
yup, most ci systems today seem to believe that docker is the beginning and the end of all things and it's a big reason i hate travis/circle/etc.

jenkins: it's still fine, and the flexibility won't force you into hacky situations like the above

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Bloody posted:

docker is "works on my machine" taken to its logical conclusion

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

MononcQc posted:

you can do some really good layering and caching with docker, and it makes a huge difference if you have someone on your team who understands that poo poo vs. if you're just wiring garbage together like I would.

lol more like you can do that and completely ignore reproducibility of builds and pretend that managing all the artifacts that go into an image don't matter so good luck deploying to production when one of the zillion services you depend on at build-time suddenly become deploy-time deps

sorry i'm not yelling at you here i'm yelling into the clouds

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

using docker images from a hash instead of a tag to build your poo poo is so much nicer than any other mechanism

true, and true with pretty much any dependency really

not that many people do it :( feels like every day I hear about a new outage due to floating deps

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
totally, and ideally injecting actual values from that hash some other way

fwiw i completely agree with the earlier take that vc-backed docker-the-company is not to be trusted, and personally i'd rather use any other container runtime

at least the image format is standardized, and yeah, never don't be mirroring deps- including images- internally. i'm liking artifactory as a one-stop-shop for that kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Helianthus Annuus posted:

at my old job, the NPM guys wanted to charge us 90k per year to run our own NPM mirror on-site

we got artifactory instead lol

lmao

that explains why we just migrated from npm on-site to artifactory then