Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what build system
intern manually running tasks by hand
some gigantic proprietary system that only runs on windows
random link to github project with no commit in 3 years
goku
View Results

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
alright so i'm at the end of my wits and i want to take an automatic rifle and fire 30 rounds into our bamboo server because it's such a steaming poo poo pile of trash that was suggested and approved behind my back years ago.

however, i'm in the position to have complete control of all tech decisions at my company, and i'm going to force everyone to learn something new here because bamboo sucks. it's slow as poo poo, it can't handle project dependencies in a sane way, and everything about it is just horrible.

i know there's gotta be something good out there (lol)

so if you had your way, with complete control over the decision, what build system would YOU use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i guess the title should have been "build servers" not "build systems" but whatever

i just need to be freed from this prison

i looked at ovh's CDS: https://ovh.github.io/cds/ which seems kinda cool but i've never heard of it before.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

rotor posted:

i used travis once and it seemed not awful but also seemed like it had too much magic in it

travis got sold to a company that immediately fired almost all the engineers and then it had multiple day downtime

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah i would never use off-premise stuff, plus, we can't, due to requirements dictated by certain global powers

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
we use maven but its currently invoked by bamboo

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i had to write a bamboo plugin that let me define a static file to drop into the build directory of a project right before it builds. for whatever reason the suggested mechanism in bamboo is to write a bash script that generates the file.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Plorkyeran posted:

jenkins pipelines are a big improvement over the old approach of configuring things in the bad web ui, but the fact that they're a pipeline rather than a dependency graph is awful and makes a lot of our builds take 2-3x longer than they would otherwise.

thats the one reason why i was interested in that CDS server because it does builds and deployments as a dependency graphs with gates that block the flow until something triggers it.

and the build can be defined in the code itself.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Shaggar posted:

maven hatred boils down to 2 groups:
1) Im too loving stupid to understand xml
2) Im too loving stupid to understand software development

everyone in group 1 is also in group 2

shaggar was right

Gazpacho posted:

i have never seen any other build tool that demanded more developer attention and babysitting than maven. even the build system developed for windows NT (a boatload of cmd scripts driven by nmake) managed to be more intuitive

you are an embarrassment to your profession

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Captain Foo posted:

lmao if you have to build code

lmao if you dont

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

dads friend steve posted:

I have no good answer to the question above, but I do have a question of my own: how is it that you have PRs all to the same repo and at such a frequency that you have that problem to begin with? Like how is that happening so often you need automation?

I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? Agile!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
this week im going to take the plunge and experiment with CDS https://ovh.github.io/cds

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
oh? perfect :getin:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
using docker images from a hash instead of a tag to build your poo poo is so much nicer than any other mechanism

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can understand why generic public hub images don't do that, but if you are doing any stuff internally you better have your own set of images.

Just because the docker hub sucks sometimes doesn't mean the whole stack is bad, the technology and tool work just fine if you are willing to put a few hours aside to set up your base build images.

You really should have your Dockerfiles start like this:
code:
FROM repo.yospost.bithc/build/base:1.0@sha256:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
so you have a tag defined and it's human readable but you are still pinning it to a specific version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
artifactory rules but their pricing is outrageous.

having to buy the most expensive license @ ~$15k/year just to get S3 storage support is ridiculous.