Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what build system
intern manually running tasks by hand
some gigantic proprietary system that only runs on windows
random link to github project with no commit in 3 years
goku
View Results

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

alright so i'm at the end of my wits and i want to take an automatic rifle and fire 30 rounds into our bamboo server because it's such a steaming poo poo pile of trash that was suggested and approved behind my back years ago.

however, i'm in the position to have complete control of all tech decisions at my company, and i'm going to force everyone to learn something new here because bamboo sucks. it's slow as poo poo, it can't handle project dependencies in a sane way, and everything about it is just horrible.

i know there's gotta be something good out there (lol)

so if you had your way, with complete control over the decision, what build system would YOU use?

no. there are no good build servers because theres only one good build system (maven) and you cant use it with .NET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we use maven but its currently invoked by bamboo

build something yourself that just runs maven builds.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maven rules and is the only good build system.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
is clearcase really good? ive never used it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

how is it better than dotnet??

in every way.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

gradle provides modules that can be configured similar to maven using far more efficient and readable syntax (lol @ hand-edited xml)

however it is magical thinking to suppose that these pre-existing modules will always cover the emergent needs of any organization and for those cases gradle lets you go procedural as needed, reusing parts of those modules at the level where they are indeed reusable

maven's architecture is that any emergent need has to be captured immediately as a plugin, before you can proceed at all. you don't get to express it procedurally at first so that you can feel out the requirements and what the configuration points are. this pushes you to create "reusable" plugins that are not in fact reusable and should be done over, but we know that necessary do-overs have a way of not ever happening

(though in observed practice people will just hack in an antrun goal rather than create a plugin, while crossing their fingers that it doesn't conflict with maven's "opinions" about goal sequencing, because bro there's a friggin deadline)

lol this guy is dumb as gently caress and is a great example of how not understanding maven is a sure sign of a terrible programmer.

theres no such thing as an "emergent need" in java development. if you think you have some new an unique build requirement you actually don't. you don't understand what you're doing and you need to stop and rethink things.

even if you did have some "emergent need" it would only be because you have developed some completely new concept in which case you should put it in a plugin so it can be tested separately from your builds and reused consistently across all of your projects. if you don't understand why this is important, you 1) didn't have an emergent need and 2) don't understand what you're doing.

When you are copying and pasting procedural build code from project to project then congrats you loving dumb poo poo you're doing exactly what maven does but 100x worse because you will never be consistent and changes made to the process for project B will never make it back to project A.

dads friend steve posted:

it sounds like ANT where I need to understand each projects bespoke build process instead of relying on the tool enforcing a consistent system that works in all realistic cases

correct. gradle is dogshit for morons.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
maven hatred boils down to 2 groups:
1) Im too loving stupid to understand xml
2) Im too loving stupid to understand software development

everyone in group 1 is also in group 2

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the purpose of a build system is to build code the same way every time. if "your management" thinks they want randomized builds then that's idiotic and no build system would make that a design feature.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fiedler posted:

the correct answer is azure devops.

azure devops uses yaml which is the worst of all choices.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild should go in the dumpster and Microsoft should write a maven.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
msbuild and nant are equivalent so it would be pointless to switch. they need declarative builds