Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

I feel like NJPW does it right by promoting few singles matches per year and mainly promoting multiman tag matches in house shows/undercard matches, but do we have any definitive data on that?

I'd also point to the touring schedule. New Japan should finish the year having done 176 shows, by my counting they should have had 136 wrestlers appear on them (excluding the shows in America promoted with ROH because I don't want to have a list of people who worked for New Japan in 2019 to include Bully Ray) but 62 of them were on less than 8 shows, either the lucha crew who came over for Fantasticamania, or guys who were only on the New Japan events in Australia, the UK or USA.

So if you take the example of Shingo Takagi, who worked the most shows of anyone on the roster by my counting (153 out 176), he managed 23 singles matches on the year & only 4 of those were outside of the Best of the Super Juniors or G1 Climax tournaments, 37 tag team matches & the rest of his matches coming in multiman tags. For comparison, Ricochet worked 151 matches for WWE this year, 68 were singles matches, another 20 were triple threats, fatal fours, etc, multiman singles matches, 42 tag team matches & the rest various multiman tags. Or Seth Rollins, 105 singles matches out of 143 matches across the year.

I'd like to see New Japan give guys more down time, more tours off for example, but yeah, there's no way their schedule isn't less rough on the body than the WWE schedule. Especially when you consider travel into the mix, you're not finishing a show then having to jump into a car & drive to the next town, you just get on the bus and can switch off completely until it's time to get off. Seems much more tolerable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU