Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd like to think in 2019 that the mentality of "The show must go on!" would have died, but sadly I don't think this not being the case is even particularly unique to wrestling/WWE.

The mythologizing of past incidents of wrestlers finishing matches despite terrible injuries hasn't helped. Angle coming back out to that triple threat clearly completely loving out of it, Daniel Bryan destroying the Wyatt Family but having zero memory of it, Austin rolling up Owen to win his match despite having a broken neck etc, all these things still get brought up today by wrestlers, fans and often WWE themselves as signs of how tough and resilient and dedicated the wrestlers are, when they've actually just potentially put themselves and sometimes others at the risk of paralysis or death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kazuchika Okada gets people to lose their loving minds when he hits a dropkick. It's all about timing and presentation, but the wrestlers themselves need some latitude to be able to learn and develop these skills and build up a relationship with the audience. WWE's micro-management really severely curtails that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WatermelonGun posted:

dude you’re cool and bring a lot of cool info to the table but holy god please condense

It's a drat good read and we're not in danger of running out of page space so :words: away, IceAgeComing!