Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

RayFowler posted:

Unfortunately it seems like I can't PM the mods unless I have a platinum account here.

Hello! I do not want to just add Master of Orion to the title, please let me know the exact title you want and the icon you want, and I will do it right now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

VideoGames posted:

Hello! I do not want to just add Master of Orion to the title, please let me know the exact title you want and the icon you want, and I will do it right now :)

How about... "Remnants of the Precursors, a modernization of the original Master of Orion" ?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Heck yeah new thread title

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
version 2.17 is now out.

The key upgrade in this version is there are now 3 selectable AIs to play against: the base AI plus two tougher AIs made by modders.

"Modnar" has made a tougher AI that remains immersive in gameplay while "Xilmi" (better known as AIL of Pandora fame) has made a tough AI that ignores personality and plays to win.

There are other improvements as well. Patch notes here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/mdwtcv/beta_217_is_here_with_significant_ai_improvements/

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
I would like to let everyone know that I am setting up a mailing list for those who want a reminder about the 1.0 release and the crowdfunding campaigns for the boxed set and sourcebook.

Details here: https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/mn0l7s/new_rotp_mailing_list_for_releases_and/

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RayFowler posted:

I would like to let everyone know that I am setting up a mailing list for those who want a reminder about the 1.0 release and the crowdfunding campaigns for the boxed set and sourcebook.

Details here: https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/mn0l7s/new_rotp_mailing_list_for_releases_and/

That sounds really good. Thanks.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Version 0.91 is now out. Our first foreign translation (Greek) is now in the game. 21 more to go!

Step by step towards 1.0.

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/mnpvx2/remnants_of_the_precursors_version_091_is/

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
For those Windows users who balk at installing Java, and for anyone who likes to have the latest and greatest version, update 0.93 of Remnants of the Precursors is now available.

Also, the German translation is now available.

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/nq2xaf/version_093_of_remnants_of_the_precursors_is_now/

Here’s an example of some of the new Alkari artwork… you see this when you incite a rebellion on an Alkari colony.

RayFowler fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 1, 2021

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Just wanted to let everyone know that my massive 6+ year indie development project has reached its conclusion.... Remnants of the Precursors is finally released!

Here is a descriptive post I made about the game that the 4XGaming community on reddit decided to sticky:

https://old.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/ro17o0/remnants_of_the_precursors_is_officially_released/

I hope you guys give it a shot! It was really turned into a great game. It's competely free, so there's no reason to not try it out!

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

RayFowler posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that my massive 6+ year indie development project has reached its conclusion.... Remnants of the Precursors is finally released!

Here is a descriptive post I made about the game that the 4XGaming community on reddit decided to sticky:

https://old.reddit.com/r/4Xgaming/comments/ro17o0/remnants_of_the_precursors_is_officially_released/

I hope you guys give it a shot! It was really turned into a great game. It's competely free, so there's no reason to not try it out!

This looks absolutely fresh. Playing this tonight

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RayFowler posted:

Hey Ray, been following and playing for a long time and just wanted to say congratulations on the official release! I've had tons of fun with it

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I remember when you posted something about this years ago. I appreciated the effort then and but was not very impressed, though to be fair you were not nearly as far along and 99% of all fan projects or games which you see stuff from are never finished. I tried it again last night....

WOW!

You did a really amazing job here! You should be very proud of what you made!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 4, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Oh hell yes, I know what I'm playing next

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't wait to bury the galaxy in Sakkra corpses for the glory of the Sakkra empire once more!

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks for all of the kind words! I've been very busy now as I am shifting gears to work on Release 2. I appreciate all of the feedback and I can assure you that I take every post seriously.

Thanks again.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Started playing this today and I love it. I played MOO1 a ton as a kid, and this just feels right.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Downloaded this, can't wait to try it. Always heard MoO1 was legendary but never played it myself.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017
Just released an update, version 1.02:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/ryhpz1/release_102_is_now_available/

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Oh wow. I have probably played MoO1 more than any other 4X game besides Civ4. I will most definitely download this. Thank you!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I must make a shameful confession. Just over two years ago I took first post itt to say "I'll download it OP". I then followed up by also taking the second post itt to say "Klackons are my favorite".

But I did not play the Klackons. I did not even download the game. It was a complete fraud. I was a fraud. But no longer!

Today is the day of the redemption. The day I make good on the promise I made so long ago. I downloaded the game, OP. I'm playing it. To make up for the shameful abrogation of my duties, I will also post about it in the 1000 Page Thread so all my posting pals know about it too!

I'm playing the bugs!

I'm exploring the stars!

I'm settling new worlds!

I'm meeting spooky dudes!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Wow I just noticed this thread and I am definitely going to download this and give it a whirl. I spent so much time in my youth playing Master of Orion and I'm so looking forwards to trying this out!

e: Gonna star this thread so I don't forget about it.

Dumb Sex-Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 9, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
MOO1 is real cool and I respect how abstracted the planet management is in favor of actual grand strategy. That said, and I mean no disrespect to this remake since it's true to the original by design and intent, will you eventually add optional QoL improvements from MOO2 and other later games? I mean specifically the ability to actually refit your ships to newer models, which IIRC was not a thing you could do in MOO1. That was pretty much the one thing holding me back from enjoying MOO1.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Just gave this a spin this morning with a quick game in a small galaxy. Pretty much immediately got boxed in and eventually the crystal people got elected leader of the universe. Never played the originals but I had fun with this.

Few things:

Like the other poster suggested, the ability to upgrade already existing ships would be really nice. Seems like it already asks if you want to upgrade your bases so it just seems logical to me to allow the same for ships.

Every single turn I had the same leader pop up and frame my spies for sabotage and threaten dire consequences. Every single turn I ignored the threat and nothing ever happened other than I would get the same pop up on the very next turn. It really dragged the speed of play down.

I locked my Eco spending at 0 and, like the framed spy screen, every single turn I had a pop up reminding me my Eco spending was locked at 0 and this pop-up locked out all other controls until I dealt with it. I don't need a reminder about my spending levels every single turn, I set them, I know what they are! This was even more annoying than the spy screen and was a major nuisance to deal with.

e:
oh yeah galaxy shape "spiral, four-arm, rotation 2" kinda looks like a swastika lol

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 9, 2022

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

MOO1 is real cool and I respect how abstracted the planet management is in favor of actual grand strategy. That said, and I mean no disrespect to this remake since it's true to the original by design and intent, will you eventually add optional QoL improvements from MOO2 and other later games? I mean specifically the ability to actually refit your ships to newer models, which IIRC was not a thing you could do in MOO1. That was pretty much the one thing holding me back from enjoying MOO1.

That's not about QoL. It would be straightforward to allow an auto-refit concept to ship designs but that would then remove an important strategic element to the game.

The scrap-and-rebuild approach forces you to make a hard decision about when is a good time to make a switchover in your ship design, so you often wait until your potential new design is a enough of an improvement to justify scrapping your old ships. If you do it too frequently, you are wasting money trying to constantly maintain a state of the art fleet. If you do it too sparingly, your fleet may become obsolete compared your enemies.

When you have auto-refit, this entire strategic element is lost. Refitting your fleet is now reduced to basically paying a tax on learning new ship technologies. Learn new tech, pay refit tax, and that's it. It's a non-decision and might as well just happen automagically without the tax.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Proletarian Mango posted:

I locked my Eco spending at 0 and, like the framed spy screen, every single turn I had a pop up reminding me my Eco spending was locked at 0 and this pop-up locked out all other controls until I dealt with it. I don't need a reminder about my spending levels every single turn, I set them, I know what they are! This was even more annoying than the spy screen and was a major nuisance to deal with.

That's interesting because most players unintentionally lock their Eco to a point where it generates waste, which is almost always a negative, which is specifically why the reminder was put in place. What was your strategy in producing waste in your colonies?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

RayFowler posted:

That's interesting because most players unintentionally lock their Eco to a point where it generates waste, which is almost always a negative, which is specifically why the reminder was put in place. What was your strategy in producing waste in your colonies?

Diverting maximum resources to weapons research lol

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Every single turn I had the same leader pop up and frame my spies for sabotage and threaten dire consequences. Every single turn I ignored the threat and nothing ever happened other than I would get the same pop up on the very next turn. It really dragged the speed of play down.

This is also interesting because the second warning for spying always puts the AI on a war footing and at that point you won't get any warnings for spying or anything else. They will just build up fleets for attack and then declare war on the turn their fleets strike.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Diverting maximum resources to weapons research lol

F

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

RayFowler posted:

This is also interesting because the second warning for spying always puts the AI on a war footing and at that point you won't get any warnings for spying or anything else. They will just build up fleets for attack and then declare war on the turn their fleets strike.

I spawned on a pretty sparse arm of the galaxy and the aggressor AI only managed to settle a single planet at the very farthest periphery of my traversable territory, far beyond where I could actually colonize myself. There was a third AI that had colonized pretty much 90% of the rest of the galaxy and whose territory cut my galactic arm off from the rest of the galaxy. I would've assumed the aggressor could've just built ships at the lone colony and invaded me that way but maybe the distance was too great for them too?

Idk, I don't think I have a save file to send either. I was playing on completely default settings, I just started a new game, picked Human, and away I went.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

RayFowler posted:

That's not about QoL. It would be straightforward to allow an auto-refit concept to ship designs but that would then remove an important strategic element to the game.

The scrap-and-rebuild approach forces you to make a hard decision about when is a good time to make a switchover in your ship design, so you often wait until your potential new design is a enough of an improvement to justify scrapping your old ships. If you do it too frequently, you are wasting money trying to constantly maintain a state of the art fleet. If you do it too sparingly, your fleet may become obsolete compared your enemies.

When you have auto-refit, this entire strategic element is lost. Refitting your fleet is now reduced to basically paying a tax on learning new ship technologies. Learn new tech, pay refit tax, and that's it. It's a non-decision and might as well just happen automagically without the tax.

Good poo poo.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I agree that refitting existing ships might be a modern convenience now but it really does effect strategy. Do I make new ships now or wait a few more years until that new tech comes in? Is that new tech a big enough jump to warrant a new ship design? etc.

Also I seem to be able to get constant warnings about espionage from AI but they never wardec me because of it, even if "espionage" is in red because of the warning. So I basically spy with impunity regardless of my race. I play on Normal/Hard if that means anything.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Fhqwhgads posted:

I agree that refitting existing ships might be a modern convenience now but it really does effect strategy. Do I make new ships now or wait a few more years until that new tech comes in? Is that new tech a big enough jump to warrant a new ship design? etc.

Also I seem to be able to get constant warnings about espionage from AI but they never wardec me because of it, even if "espionage" is in red because of the warning. So I basically spy with impunity regardless of my race. I play on Normal/Hard if that means anything.

There are two stages to them going to war. The first stage is when they decide to go to war. They don't tell you; they just start preparing. Once they are ready and launch their attack, they will announce the war on the turn their invasion fleet arrives.

If, however, they change their mind before that fleet arrives, they call off the attack and you are none the wiser. If they are unable to muster an attacking force (e.g. you are destroying them left and right), they will never formally declare war.

The point of this is to avoid the situation in most 4X games where the AI declares war on you, does nothing for 20 turns, and the asks for peace.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Cool I won! I played on easy so not too hard. Chryslonoids seem really strong - being able to just colonize everything from the start means a big leg up early on.

Thank you for making this - it's great. Exactly the right level of detail without getting bogged down in 10,000 different toggles and settings and stuff. I never played MoO but this reminds me of spaceward ho in a good way.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

What am I supposed to do about rebellions? I had a key planet rebel, so I sent a ship over and in the 5-6 turns it took to get there the rebellion had grown to 4 planets. The ship finally got there and there wasn't even anything he could do.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gotta transport population/troops to ground combat revolutions.

RayFowler
Apr 30, 2017

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What am I supposed to do about rebellions? I had a key planet rebel, so I sent a ship over and in the 5-6 turns it took to get there the rebellion had grown to 4 planets. The ship finally got there and there wasn't even anything he could do.

The first time a planet rebels, an advisor will pop up and suggest (hint) that you send troops to quell it. You need to take them out with ground transports.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You can't just bomb your own people from orbit, OP! That's a war crime. No wonder they are rebelling!!!

You have to conscript a counter force of loyal citizens to be sent offworld so they meatgrinder each other by the millions in hand to hand combat. That's how civilized people handle these kinds of things!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Important question: does ground combat have the rad MoO2 display

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Important question: does ground combat have the rad MoO2 display

I don't remember what that was but the ground combat looks like this, OP.

The units on each side do their little animations like gun shooting or sword swinging and start dying until someone wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah that's it! Definitely going to try this out tonight, excited for some not garbage 4X