Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

When I last played Theseus and Asterion were the final bosses. Should I just start a new save? Apparently I was halfway through a run because when I loaded it up Zag strolled into the hydra's chamber and commented that it looked different. The whole game looks and feels great, I'm just going to have to learn to play it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SKULL.GIF posted:

Curse of Longing is one of the stronger Duo boons but I found it actually lead to some bad play on my part trying to keep Weak up constantly instead of just continuing to play normally.

If you get that one blessing from Aphrodite that extends the duration of Weak, then THAT'S game winning with CoL.

Quoting from pages back because I just finished a run with this loadout on the bow and it was definitely game winning. I got weak on attack and hammer upgrades that gave me rapid fire shots that bounced between enemies (although it removed the charged shot). Doom on special with tons of pom power so I just alternated between the two rapidly which generally kept both debuffs on the entire room. I finished with all my DDs intact and didn't even take damage from Hades until he started busting out the mega lasers near the end of the fight.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Flipswitch posted:

Try with the rapid fire hammer? The bow is really good. All of its aspects are great imo.

There's also a hammer which makes shots rebound to nearby enemies. If you get both of those they're incredible at spreading debuffs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Can someone explain Alecto's rage gauge, by the way? I'm almost 100 runs into this game now and I still don't get it. She permanently rages out at 30% health or so, fine, but before that, what does the rage gauge do? I've never seen it go above about 20% or so.

If it maxes she gets a speed boost and starts using all her abilities in quick succession. She has an ability that fills a chunk of it and it gradually fills over time / as she takes damage, but if you're able to burst her down quickly she won't get a chance to fill it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Really good with Exagryph too, just scored my first win with that weapon using it and a hangover boon. Dash into range BRRRAP, dash away while everything dies.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I find it really funny that Sisyphus is presented as a simple stoic character when in mythology he was incredibly devious. He pissed off Zeus so much that he got sent to be chained up in Tartarus before he was even dead, but Sisyphus pulled some Bugs Bunny poo poo on Thanatos by asking him to demonstrate how the chains worked and then running away. Thanatos only got out because Ares came downstairs to find out why the gently caress no-one was dying in wars any more.

Sisyphus also had a trick up his sleeve for when he actually died. He secretly told his wife not to give him a funeral and instead to strip him naked and throw him into the street. Then down in Hades, Sisyphus convinced Persephone that he should be allowed to go and haunt his wife until she gave him a proper funeral, and when she agreed he ran away again. That was the stunt that got him the boulder gig.

If he wasn't also incredibly evil and murderous I'd say that Sisyphus owned, although I guess compared to most of the Greek gods and kings he's not too bad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I decided to try actually using my rerolls for once and went for a Poseidon build on the spear. Anything hit by the throw turned into a high velocity pinball, flying around the room and exploding. Most of the small rooms in Styx were over with a single button press. It also got me to realise how effective poms are when you really focus on making a particular boon your main damage dealer.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Strobe posted:

The bow with the Athena boon for special deflect is broke as gently caress but maybe that'll even out once I start turning up the heat, I guess?

It's really good in certain circumstances (it trivialises the miniboss room full of witches in Asphodel for example) but other boons such as doom or hangover might be better in terms of raw damage output. All depends on your build.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Haha wow the pom accessory counts every tiny room in Styx as an encounter. That feels really overpowered but I'll take it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Jetrauben posted:

the maenads were known for indiscriminate violence

Including against one gentle but stupid goth boy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Tender Bender posted:

What are some tips for dealing with Styx? I loving hate it, it's so cramped and the rats with their poison pools and the loving spitting satyrs send me into a panic and all the cool collected stylish killing strategies I'd been honing the whole run go out the window. Every run I get hosed up and lose way too much health in those tiny rooms if I'm not running with a ranged weapon.

In addition to what everyone else has said, Styx punishes the previously fairly solid strategy of randomly dashing away when threatened, because it's so dense that you stand a decent chance of ending your dash on a trap or next to another enemy. It's easy to panic and start dashing like crazy in the small rooms but you're generally up against 3 or fewer unarmoured enemies, clumped up enough that you can keep them all stunlocked with weapons and a bit of cast thrown in.

The boss rooms are a bit tougher, while you have more room to move you get more thrown at you. Look for the marks on the floor where the guillotine blades will fall and learn where the sawblades shoot from so you don't end up running into them while rushing to cure poison. I like to use my Call as soon as I have one bar charged in these rooms, depending on the boon it usually knocks out at least one high value target and gives me some breathing room.

Or as others have said, run a Poseidon build. Knockback absolutely wrecks everything in Styx.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Codeacious posted:

Five-path Styx is the only reason I don't run max Tight Deadline. It's an RNG element that creates a massive swing in run length.

Given the game's natural appeal for speedrunners I'm really surprised they put something like that right at the end of a run. I realise there's RNG throughout but it's the type you can adapt to and work with, not "gently caress you, you do a bunch of extra rooms".

If I had to fix it I'd maybe give Charon a purchasable satyr sack detector that indicates the correct room. That might break things a bit though because I think it's coded to never be in the first one you try?

Edit: aha, the speedrunning guide confirmed what I'd suspected about EM Lernie being faster because all the heads are packed together

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 1, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Aww.

https://twitter.com/Sad_e_Lonely/status/1311712728483090432

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Broken Cog posted:

Can we all agree on that the Hades call is the worst of the bunch?

I've not tried it but it would have to be really loving good to justify taking up the trinket slot. Can it even be powered up by poms?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This is what the wiki has. I like how they've phrased it:

quote:

To complete Cerberus' favor, he must be pet a minimum of 20 times. (Pets given before the final favor lock was added to the game are not applied to this total, so fortunately you are required to pet him another 20 times)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah when Theseus hits his second phase he summons blasts and his attacks get the relevant god's effect. It's just less noticeable with the others as he actually has to hit you first.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I really like getting the flurry cast from Hermes, especially if I've got grandma lasers or zeus bolts going. All you need is a split second pause between dashes and BRAP

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's a really good "gently caress everything in this 90 degree arc in front of me" button

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Honestly a lot of it comes down to personal preference. The sword and the fists are probably "tougher" if you're struggling with the game because they require you to get right up on enemies and dodge away if you see an animation tell. Bow and gun obviously don't have that issue although they require you to aim (to some extent) and time some attacks.

Back in early access I got a lot of wins using the shield with the hammer upgrade that made its special rebound to lots of different enemies. I was able to pair that with boons like Dionysus or Ares and stack effects on whole rooms without really aiming, which meant I could concentrate on dodging.

Edit: Athena dodge boon is a really good one, especially if Hermes gives you a good extra dodges boon

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 5, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fists can also get broken if you max Aspect of Zagreus, use Hermes' keepsake and get his boon that gives additional dodge chance. Paired with the mirror talent that gives you extra dodge chance when you dash just before an attack, you can get dodge chance above 100% - just dash once and then have effective invincibility for several seconds. Requires a lot of setup though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The reload button being on the right stick is really awkward. I switched it with the codex on left bumper and my gun game got way better.

There's also a hammer upgrade that makes the gun fire three rounds bursts and removes the need to reload, which makes it much more viable for getting quick shots off between dashes.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

A good Poseidon set up will clear half the rooms in Styx before anything has a chance to attack you.

For Theseus and Asterius, kite Asterius around the perimeter of the arena, using the pillars as cover or dashing when Theseus throws his spear. The best times to get damage in are just after Asterius does his leap attack (but be careful once he's below half health as he can start spamming it) and after his charge attack. Theseus is annoying but much easier to handle when you're not dodging the raging bull.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Eurydice's keepsake is also excellent if you're finding that you're okay through the normal stages but eat poo poo against bosses. Until I got the pom it was my main one.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I think that's the case. There is a weird exception to chaos / infernal gates taking you forward which is if one spawns in the room before the pre-boss shop. When you leave Erebus / Chaos' realm, you'll go to the shop rather than straight to the boss, which means you get a bonus chamber.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hades - a pantheon that's hotter than hell

The rocket launcher upgrade has its place, it's much quicker than the bomb so you get fewer whiffed shots on quick enemies. If you also get the cluster bomb upgrade it's ridiculous, I had both of those with Poseidon boons and it was great for maintaining distance from enemies.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Waltzing Along posted:

What is the key upgrade?

The contractor has an upgrade that gives you a free reroll every time you get a key.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Not going to lie, that Wand of Gamelon Zag is really tempting for a new avatar

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Was the double attack added to the Theseus and Asterius fight later? I played a bunch when they were the final bosses and I never saw it until I'd got a bunch of clears in 1.0.

I thought it was linked to story progress because the first time I saw it was just after Theseus had fallen out and made back up with Asterius but that's pretty far on in their story. Maybe it needs proximity between the two to trigger and I was kiting Asterius well enough that it couldn't?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Sounds like someone hasn't been believing in Bouldy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've been keeping track of my chamber numbers over the last few runs and it seems that area length is very reliable. The Furies always turn up in chamber 14, Lernie in chamber 24 and Theseus and Asterius in chamber 36 (I saw someone a while back post that Asphodel feels short compared to the other areas and that's because it is - it only has 6 normal encounter chambers as opposed to 11 in Tartarus and 8 in Elysium). Styx is weird because of its variable length but a full clear of it is about 24 encounter chambers, and because every trip back to the Temple counts as a "new" chamber you'll usually fight the final boss in chamber 69. A "standard" run will look something like the below:

1: Tartarus entrance
2-12: Tartarus encounters
13: Shop
14: Furies
15: Stairway
16: Asphodel entrance
17-22: Asphodel encounters
23: Shop
24: Lernie
25: Stairway
26: Elysium entrance
27-34: Elysium encounters
35: Shop
36: Theseus and Asterius
37: Stairway
38: Styx entrance
39: Temple of Styx
40-44: Tunnel 1
45: Temple of Styx
46-50: Tunnel 2
51: Temple of Styx
52-56: Tunnel 3
57: Temple of Styx
58-61: Tunnel 4
62: Temple of Styx
63-67: Tunnel 5
68: Temple of Styx
69: Final boss

You might notice that one of the tunnels is only 4 chambers long instead of 5. On this run it happened to be the only tunnel with a miniboss at the end of it (the other miniboss encounter was overwritten by the satyr sack room) but I'm unsure if miniboss presence is what makes the tunnel shorter or if it's just random.

Chaos and Erebus gates both increment the chamber counter as normal so they are "alternate" chambers instead of extra ones... with one exception. Chaos / Erebus can't kick you directly into a boss fight, so if a gate spawns in chamber 12/22/34 you'll still go to the pre-boss shop next and all the numbers thereafter will be one higher than normal. This means that gates in these chambers are more valuable, although in Chaos' case it guarantees you'll be carrying some kind of hinderance into the boss room.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

If you've got Bastion on Steam definitely give it a go. It's probably the Supergiant game that's closest to Hades in moment to moment gameplay and the story is fairly simple but told with bags of charm.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I don't think you'll get many people saying that Hades isn't their best game - it certainly is for me going off how many hours I've poured into it. Bastion is still easily one of the best indie games of its generation and an absolutely incredible first title for a studio.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Fedule posted:

My Farthest Chamber count is currently at 77 so I don't really know what's up with that.

I just checked mine and it's 78. I wonder if it counts the transitions as you return in the end credits. Feels kind of pointless to have the counter after you've cleared the game.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Does Theseus have more HP or does he just have a shorter phase 2? Because if it's just a shorter phase 2 it's arguably easier in that aspect as well.

He has 9000 HP in standard mode and goes into phase 2 at 50% (4500) and 12000 in EM3 where he goes into phase 2 at 33% (4000). But his chariot is easier to hit from behind so that extra HP disappears fast.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This might not be new to anyone but since we're on the subject of the development process, Danny O'Dwyer did a five part series of documentaries on just that. The first part came out alongside the game's early access launch in December 2018 and the final one released last month when the game hit 1.0.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-THgg8QnvU4JEVov1tMlFThNYS92F8uC

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Ciaphas posted:

don't think I like hidden aspect exagryph very much :(

The rhythm of it feels even more awkward than normal exagryph, especially late game where opportunities to plant your feet and fire are few and far between. I just ended up taking Poseidon dash and loads of other boons to make that more effective including the Zeus duo one. I didn't fire at all in the final fight and only got hit once.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

They have an extended period after they attack where they don't turn. If you're struggling to get the timing down with attacks just dodge behind them and shotgun them in the back with the special. They're still really annoying and the reason I prioritise any hammer upgrade with piercing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2fe2pauer4

This guy is doing 30 minute videos breaking down each weapon by aspect, hammers and boon choices. Just sword and spear for now. I'd be interested if some of the more experienced players could say if they disagree or agree with his picks.

I had a look at his channel and he's unsurprisingly focused on speedrunning / high heat runs. That doesn't make any of his advice necessarily bad, but I would say that even his bottom tier picks can be worked into really strong builds at low heat.

He seems to have a really thorough knowledge of the various weapon aspects, I learned a few things from watching.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

SettingSun posted:

According to the wiki you can't get Charged Volley on Chiron (or Rama).

You also can't get it if you've picked Relentless Volley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Dumb question that there probably isn't an answer to: has anyone nailed down around when in the timeline of Greek mythology the game takes place? I guess the Trojan War is the most recent event referred to? Ares talks about an ongoing war but unless I've missed something I don't think we know any details about it. Zagreus also refers to Arthur as a future wielder of the Stygian blade, which puts paid to any notion that it might be set in our present.

I realise the real answer is "late enough in Greek mythology that any notable character we want to pull in is dead and in Hades" but wondered if anyone with a better knowledge of classics than me had narrowed it down.