Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Aw man, I was so close to the end on my 13th run. I had a broken spear-bounce build that combined Ares, Artemis, and Athena for tons of AoE crit damage and doom. I lost my extra lives during the stupid 2v1 and took too much chip damage in the tiny rooms to safely take on the final boss. I don't think I'll ever manage to get that build again :(

Anyway, I totally forgot about this game until I saw it on Steam last night and instabought it. This game has all the features that are like crack to me. I'm already clocking 9 hours. I've been wanting a new Bastion-like experience for a long time, and this is basically rogue-lite Bastion. I'm also digging the grim-while-also-lighthearted setting.

I spent all my blood thinking I'd keep getting it for clearing the first world, but that stopped after 5. Do you ever getting new sources of blood, besides trading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

dmboogie posted:

you get more blood from beating the final boss; and after you beat the game you can get more boss drops by adding various difficulty modifiers to your run

Ah, so you're basically stuck with whatever you spent it on until you beat a run? Dang. Oh well, I could've done worse with them. I maxed out the regular spear, which is fine if you get good special mods.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Had a pretty good run combining jolt and poison, as they were pretty easy to keep applied for the damage multiplier. Made it nearly to the end, except idiotically, I didn't plan for phase 2.

My least used god has got to be Poseidon. In fact, I don't think I've even seen his symbol in several runs.

Also, Than and Zag need to just kiss already.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Should I be saving my ambrosia? I haven't had any opportunity to use it, whatever that is. I figure it's like super-nectar, but haven't ever seen it be usable. Really tempted to trade it in for more blood.

Also, wooh, finally did my first clear on my 20th try with a poison bouncing doom spear build. Then I followed up with another clear on a bouncing doom shield build. Third was a spinny poison shield build. Now I'm trying to branch out from things that rely on doom, poison, and bouncing...

Had fun with a Poseidon Aspect homing barrage build, and I would've cleared if I didn't lose too much life on this stupid poo poo:

During the fight, at least 4 of my 7 bloodstones got stuck. I think out of all the mechanics in the game, casting could use a bit more love and QoL adjustments. For one, it would be nice to have a pointer for when they inevitably get thrown way off screen.

Another build I almost cleared with was an Exagryph Eris build that used the slowdown upgrade and dash blades. Got me through Elysium pretty well, but apparently I didn't have anything to stunlock the rear end in a top hat Styx mobs.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

dmboogie posted:

when you give someone enough nectar, you'll need entirely amborsia from that point on to advance their storyline

Ah, I've been pretty stingy with my nectar.

So is this how you get Than to make out with me? If so, I know who's getting all my juice.

Is there any non-storyline benefit to it? Like that bottom row in the keepsake storage?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Am I missing something, or are most of the bow Daedalus upgrades pretty meh? I've tried several of the attack modifiers, and none stick out to me as that powerful or opening up crazy synergies. The triple shot was especially awkward and disappointing.

Hera bow is pretty cool though.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Meiteron posted:

The upgrade that gives +4 arrows to your special is pretty core to builds that use the second bow type that makes your arrow flurry all home in on whatever was last hit with a regular arrow.

The special modifiers are ok. It's the three I've tried that alter the primary fire: Triple Shot, Twin Shot, Flurry. I haven't tried Explosive Shot yet, but that ones seems like it would combo well with Hera and an AoE cast.

A Cup of Ramen posted:

Alternatively flurry attack and just play it like a infinite ammo rail and stack on hit effects lol.

I tried Flurry and the RoF was too slow for my taste :/

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Brightman posted:

Yeeeeaaaahhh, I didn't quite understand the weapon aspects and thought you had to upgrade the first tier before getting the second. So I have 3 bloods in Styg for Zag and then some more in Nemesis, and then 1 in the aegis for the chaos aspect... Whoops? I figured it out but I dumped a bunch in the Zag aspect for styg that I never use.

Really wish I could respec most of that. Guess I need to make do with what I've got until I can get more through other means, but I'm tempted to start over almost, except I'm like 20-30 runs in...

I didn't know blood would be limited until winning the first run, so I spent mine all on the basic spear. I eventually beat it with the spear, but quickly did it again with just one point of Chaos Shield. I also just completed a run with one point in Poseidon Sword. So you're definitely not screwed.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just did my first bow clear with a Zeus/Poseidon build to spam knockback-bolts with the special. Was pretty fun, even though I didn't have the optimal bow for the job.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Broke my time record with an infinite-ammo-rocket-special Eris build which felt awesome, but I can't help but think it spoiled all future adamant rail runs for me by eliminating the two most annoying parts of the weapon.

BabyRyoga posted:

The other utterly broken combo I found was Poseidon's knockback dash, slam into walls to deal 300% damage, and the heroic "Your knockback's can knockback additional times" effect. Stack with the Hermes ability that gives you like 4 extra dashes and you can just spam dash on an enemy to do like 3000 damage. Doesn't work too well against bosses, though.

Heh, yeah I had a build that spammed Poseidon dash and did 500+ wall damage. I was clearing Styx rooms in seconds. Barely did poo poo to bosses, and I didn't complete the run...

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 21, 2019

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ugh, what is with runs occasionally having atrocious boon distributions, and can anything be done about them (if you don't have rerolls)? I just wanted to do a lightning gas cloud bow build. My offers were almost exclusively Dionysus and Ares, who have almost no synergy. Does picking a god's boon make them way more likely to appear later on, at the expense of the other gods?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

It seems that way. It was the first time I came back (died) after unlocking the last weapon (rail).

Now I'm not sure what to actually upgrade. None of these enhancements sounds all that impressive and titan blood is extremely limited.

They don't seem much at first, but they can really change up your playstyle. Especially the Poseidon sword and Hera bow. Before unlocking them, I barely used cast. One of my favorite builds used the sword to repeatedly shotgun things to death with Aphrodite's cast.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Any idea what the missing monster from this list is? (Spoilered just in case, but it's not really a big spoiler). I've done 50+ runs by now and whatever it is just has never popped up. From where it is in the list I assume it's in the last area, but I have no idea what it could be or why it isn't spawning.

I'm gonna guess based on its location, a boss version of the snakehead or the bombpot.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Knockback damage for trash mobs, Zeus duo for single target dps

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

Rupture is really good for taking advantage of the darkness mirror ability that deals extra damage if 2 or more status effects are in an enemy. It lasts a good while. Having a damage tick every 0.2 seconds is pretty nice, too.

Mzbundifund posted:

That's a good point, Rupture is a great way to add boss damage to a Poseidon heavy build

Yeah, I pretty much try to stack two curses whenever possible. Obviously jolt becomes an incredible pair with the Zeus/Poseidon duo, as that causes both to be applied for the same action. With point-blank bow specials, it gets crazy.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

How does the RNG work anyway? It seems like it's determined before you even leave the house, since quitting a run and starting over will give you the same exact choices. I dunno if it works across weapons, but it definitely happened to me when restarting runs with the same one.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Is Athena's a good choice for a cast-focused build?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Dashing out of spear spin is a game changer. Not only does it make it safer to hit with, it makes the effective AoE twice as big. You can also charge in the middle of a spawn and use it to end your spin somewhere safe.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I'm still too lazy to figure out how to beat Theseus or the shield spirits without brute forcing through their shields.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Magitek posted:

...yet. This game is like Gilligan’s Isle — we all know he’s going to be stuck here after every run. There’s a lot of different ways the story could arrive at him failing to achieve his goals every time

This is my favorite one

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

kaschei posted:

I bet the people who can’t stand the default bow or Exagryph are stuck without a point and click interface!

There's aim assistance for ranged weapons on gamepads. Sometimes it's annoying when I actually don't want to aim at something, but for the most part it makes using those weapons a breeze.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Well, I think I've about experienced 99% of what the game has to offer at the moment after 60 hours. Can't wait for the next update. It really scratched the action RPG itch that so few games can satisfy for me nowadays. This and Wizard of Legend are pretty much it. I wish I could find one that controlled similarly to those, but were more traditional and less rogue-y in terms of character progression/permanence.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

You gently caress with hyper light drifter? Might still be too progressiony, idk.

I did play a bit of that a few years ago and liked it. I should pick it back up and finish it, but I'm honestly a little afraid to have to re-learn wtf is going on again. I've got a backlog of similar indie games I need to finish. But I wouldn't say they're particularly the kind of gameplay I'm craving.

I think I want something that, like Hades, is about killing progressively stronger hordes of mobs and perfecting your build. But the only other games I can think of like that are Diablo/PoE/Titan Quest and I can't stand the point-to-click controls.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Does it need to be hack and slash? Slay the spire is the only other recent thing I've cracked out like this to. This game feels like isometric rogue legacy imo.

That's been on my list of games to get into, and this endorsement will probably push me into getting it before the sale ends. But it's not quite the void I'm trying to fill. I definitely want something actiony, H&S, and all that jazz that makes you feel godlike when crushing hordes of monsters, but with more character permanence. I've played tons of great action games, but lately they're all doing the Rogue Legacy "get as far as you can with one life" thing, whereas I want to make tons of alts with different builds for however I'm feeling. D3 does give that visceral satisfaction, but the controls aren't twitchy enough, and the same goes for its progeny. Has no one really thought to make a Diablo clone with tighter controls? (except Westwood 20 years ago, RIP)

I guess I could just pick GW2 back up to satisfy my altoholism until the Trials of Mana remake comes out.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

A lot of Dionysus' boons are pretty situational, but I do find poison to be an easy curse to keep applied for the +50% damage. Weak is the other easy one, which is why they make such a good pair. <insert wine pairing joke>

The other gods require either more investment to get access to their curse (Zeus, Athena, Poseidon) or the curse itself isn't meant to stay constantly applied (Ares, Artemis)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Dias posted:

Achilles Spear is good because it's a dash attack that usually leaves you in backstab range, but you have to be a bit conscious of where you're throwing it. If you keep teleporting to a weird place, recall it and chill, sometimes the game just doesn't play ball. Extra backstab damage is already pretty relevant, some Artemis buffs can make it hit for 200+ damage while you get behind enemies. Out of all spears I think it's the best pick because the mobility/range ratio is pretty good.

Sounds like someone hasn't found out how to use spin attack effectively.

Although, I haven't used Achilles spear at all, and those tips (:v:) might get me to try it out.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Also an entire weapon variant that focuses on manual reload.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I never pick support fire because it's hard for me to gauge how much it helps. Also, the last time I picked it, I got really disappointed that the bow special didn't proc it multiple times.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

One duo I never seen get mentioned, but is surprisingly good, is Zeus/Athena. You wouldn't think a duo that solely added an affect to a specific cast would be a gamechanger, but it enabled one of my easiest clears.

RE: Poseidon. Zeus/Poseidon with all the right boons is one of my favorite combos in the game, but yeah Poseidon feels really lackluster otherwise. His duos with Aphrodite and Dionysus feel really worthless when you get them late game, which is the most likely time. Hell, I think I got the pom one once around the halfway point and still didn't get an opportunity to use it until the freebie you get in Styx. I hope Demeter gets some good duos with the gods who are lacking in that department.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wall slams are really satisfying against those shield bastards in Elysium, even unbuffed.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Does anyone else keep completely forgetting that summons are a thing? I can think of a few close runs that ended on the last boss where I almost certainly would have won if I'd just remembered that Bouldy existed. They're like elixirs in Final Fantasy games where I'm saving them for some future difficult encounter but end up putting them out of mind completely.

I have 70 hours clocked, and the only time I remembered they were a thing, I completely whiffed. Maybe I'll use them regularly once I've invested ambrosia into them, but so far I've been hoarding the bottles for NPCs and occasional blood trades.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

How do you get Nyx to unlock the sword? I've done like six runs since updating and nothing.

Also gently caress shield guys in Elysium forever. And the chariots with a melee build.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Poseidon also wrecks those rear end in a top hat shield spirits, so I have a soft spot for him.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

How does Daedalus spawning work? I know the game tries to get you two hammers, with the second being in Elysium. If you skip a shop offer, does that mean you're hosed until Elysium, or will you get a chance again before then?

Ciaphas posted:

Someone talk me up on the Spear or its aspects, because none of it really appeals to me :geno:

Zeus aspect and learning to dash out of charge attack

Magus42 posted:

Speaking of duos... not even out of tartarus...

Grats on your easy clear

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

To clarify, I meant if you get a hammer offered in the shop and you skip it, did that count as your "one of two" chances to get one?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I picked Hades 1 back up after playing a lot during EA but not after 1.0 release. My plan was originally to "complete" the game then move right onto 2 (i.e. unlock everything, upgrades/quests). But now, I'm itching to get into 2 after seeing all the fun everyone's having. I'll happily play the games in tandem, since they're different enough experiences. I just don't want to get too spoiled about story stuff.

I've gotten to the credits, but is there anything past that that would be spoiled by starting Hades 2? If so, how much more of 1 would I need to play to get a complete story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Getting through Hades 1 epi faster than I thought, so I'll probably just finish it up before starting 2. Is there anything locked behind maxing out all the keepsakes, or is it just the achievement? I really don't want to use some of them...