Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Picked this up a couple days ago and had trouble putting it down, always gotta see what's in the next room.

I've made it to the final fight twice and beat it on the second go, I think around 20 runs. Is there a way to check? Both times using the shield which probably teaches me bad habits but eh, it worked. Had aphrodite on attack, ares on special, a weakness +duration boon and doom constantly re-applying on weakness so I could just pop both debuffs and hold block in their face while doom did its thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Just managed a second escape using chirons bow (hangover + extra shots from hammer sure is fun) and now I want to look at melee weapons. I'm guessing fists want either demeter or dio. I'm theory crafting sword and thought aphro or ares on special but idk about attack. Demeter or Artemis would probably work pretty well?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Ah cool cos I was considering running crit/weak on the sword. Sometimes I dont wanna think about making sure I have 2 effects on for maximum dps. I haven't actually bothered switching that talent yet, only need 100 darkness for my 3rd defiance now

Also do attack boons also affect dash attacks?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
The progression is fun tho. Went from how the gently caress do I ever beat these two to ok, I can win but I have lost all my lives and now its ugh this fight takes a while get me to styx already

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Cleared with the rail and spear, sword is a tricky bastard tho

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I got lucky on sword with backstab + attack chaos mods and Artemis so I slapped on the backstab keepsake and shanked my way to victory hitting for 5-600. I've cleared with all weapons now and some heat 1 plus got the credits.

Hades spear probably my favorite weapon tho but only if I get the size increase hammer

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Hera bow: take dionysus' keepsake, get his cast boon, press cast 3 times and one shot pretty much anyone except bosses

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Tried hidden spear today and it's an absolute fucker. Was doing fine until I got to a choose your god room and lost two DDs. When things go south they go south fast. Careful kiting got me though elysium bosses but buyback never popped up, then limped the rest of the way to dad and got downed in like two shots. Dunno what to do with it, I carried the feather duster through most of it due to a lack of better ideas but idk maybe myrmidon bracer would do better.

Also got hidden shield after that tho which is a blast. Slowly working my way up the heat levels, had a very fun run with hera bow using crit cast, hermes hooking me up with exactly what I needed like shards returning automatically with a reduced timer plus exit wounds from artemis

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Getting to the point now where in doing stupid poo poo:

Hades spear
Poseidon attack
+ damage and range, - charge time on spin hammers
Extra damage on first hit talent
Extra attack damage from chaos

Dash into the middle of the room, hold attack for a second then watch the entire screen of enemies pinball into the walls and die instantly. Unfortunately this sucks poo poo on bosses and I died at dad but had a blast on the way there

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Experimenting with the mirror yields all sorts of interesting stuff, I absolutely blitzed a run using extra damage on first hit instead of backstab, cast regen and also FF. Picked hera bow with dio cast and instagibbed everything. Even dad went down in like two 30 second phases

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Shumagorath posted:

I thought Festive Fog didn't work on bosses?

I switch between FF and PS depending on which weapon is giving the 20% bonus, since if it's based on strong single hits or multiple fast hits I'm going to pick all my boons accordingly.

It doesnt but the base damage on dio cast is huge. Tbh the fog is useless 90% of the time cos nothing survives the nuke anyway

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Shumagorath posted:

k nevermind Dionysus, I just picked Poseidon's cast for the first time at run 94 :catstare:

Ooer I'll have to try, was sour on poseidon for a long time but having some fun with it these days. Also need to farm darkness (still) to swap the fated authority talent so I can do stuff like fish for an extra DD from athena.

Then again maybe not since I just picked up slay the spire on sale as I'm always 3 years late to the party on these things, hades included

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
What if the underworld is upside down

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
will daddy ever love me

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah the special or charged special or something. Idk I tried it once and said never again

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Had hidden sword, artemis attack, backstab hammer and a chaos backstab boon. I slapped tiny vermin for 1500 damage in one go, did not know that could happen.

Also finally got around to unlocking hidden rail and eeeeeehhh. I suppose it didnt help that I started with a demeter keepsake then didnt see her again until elysium. Damage just felt pretty low

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I failed the first heat level of the timed pact a few days ago. Idk what happened, I'd had a few drinks and maybe I spaced out and watched TV for a bit, also pretty sure I got 5 sacked that run. I just remember seeing 30 seconds left all of a sudden and frantically trying to kill the last boss. It was down to the wire iirc, a few more hits would have done it.

Fastest clear is 21 mins, that was a hidden sword + athena attack run. I'm only at the stage of pushing 6-8 heat on the different weapons though

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

priznat posted:

How is the Beowulf shield? I just unlocked that one.

Tried it once with dio cast and it was ok. Tried again with aphro cast and that was pretty savage but at the end of the day it's a shield, safe and slow. I prefer the bouncy aspect

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Really though I just forget to use those things in almost every run.

Extremely same

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Plus the game reminds you to use them. Theres no helping some people

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Just tried EM4 for the first time, wont be doing that again for a while

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Alright I'm down with guan yu aspect runs now, the special murders stuff. Last one I did was nail biting tho, entire run had poo poo boons and hammers so damage was not good. Running on a time limit and got 5 sacked, time ran out on phase 2 and was down to last DD and 20% hp when I won

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Chaos can also offer some savage backstab bonuses too, very nice for sword runs when you find the 200% backstab hammer. Getting a rare attack boon combo'd with something like hestia rail produces mega numbers

I pretty much always take the jump down to chaos unless it's late elysium and even then I will still consider it. Idgaf about rocking up to meg with a curse on

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any recommendations for what kind of boons to put on weapon aspects you load crystals into like Hera and Beowulf? I'm not used to this playstyle so I'm experimenting around to see what works. The latter seems especially strong based on what I've seen so far!

For hera, take dionysus cast, make sure you have the 3 stone talent and not the regen. Laugh as you launch mini nukes everywhere

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah it's pretty cool. I like pinballing scrubs with poseidon on it but pretty much any attack boon can work on it. Maybe not dio

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Flayer posted:

Coming off a 31 win streak to get merked by loving Lernie when I tried Guan Yu for the first time. How on earth do you use this?! Spam the special and dance around? The life steal on the spin attack seems pretty worthless and the set-up time to get it off is horrendous.

I find it's only useable with full titan blood to offset the hp loss. Dont bother with the spin unless it's a no risk option, take boons and hammers that pump up your special. The special hits like a truck. I ragged on guan yu when I first tried it but now it's my fastest clear.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Sure, and the Chiron bow does x damage, and the fists have x dps, its whatever you feel like using

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I just run butterfly or the pom blossom cos I'm lazy. Occasionally I'll put in enough thought to equip distant memory on a ranged weapon

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Red Oktober posted:

Demeter's call lines are absolutely terrifying.

I will take everything away chills me every time.

Yeah but I havent heard it in forever cos I have finally trained my brain to use one bar calls for demeter, zeus and dio every time. Sometimes I even remember to use my companion

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

rocketrobot posted:

Ah, I haven't unlocked that yet. I only just unlocked the rail and was underwhelmed.

I gets better as more aspects appear

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
The RNG lets you discover weird poo poo. Sometimes it just doesnt work out and you're a bit gimped but hey, it's good practice. You'll get there. Also the more stuff you unlock the more you can influence the RNG, though mostly I just roll with whatever shows up

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

John Murdoch posted:

Well that was a bit awkward. I was doing that Gilgamesh Gloves run and felt like I had a really crappy build. Not bad necessarily, just nothing really meaningfully synergistic. I knew going in that the Hades fight was going to be an extended slug match (or I'd bait myself into instant death by maiming him at the wrong time). I got to just waltz out instead. That was my 10th win. Cue credits. :toot:

I just finished a run with it but I don't get the fuss. The bonus damage wasn't worthless but it was also very...there. Is there a build that can really abuse the gimmick for all its worth? Or are there some specific hammer/Hermes upgrades that make it pop off?

Also my big tip for Theseus (and really all of the bosses but especially him): Just slow down a bit. Unless you're fighting against the clock, you can play it carefully and win without too much fuss. Dude only has two attacks, both of which are extremely patternized and leave him open for counter-attacks. It sucks that sometimes you RNG into just the worst call, but otherwise just take a breath, dodge all the circles, then go back to the pattern.

Hestia: max the titan blood level, kill god. Pick whatever boon pumps up the base damage by a lot: aphro, demeter but at full blood it's not really important

A lot of aspects are garbage until you fully invest

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Upgraded range aphro cast with the hermes rapid cast boon is like an auto shotgun, it rules

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Cleared 20 heat easily and decided screw it, I'm not going to gradually work my way up anymore and have tried a few 32 heat runs. It's like when you first play the game all over again going poo poo, this is hard and getting a little further each time.

Also idk what it is about Alecto, I swear these days she kills me more than anyone else, though I'm not at the point where I'm turning on EM4 yet I guess. Her blade rifts and fog are nasty

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah very little dialogue shows these days I just want what I assume is a third skellie statue.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I found hidden gun aspect poo poo if you're using a controller as you can't detonate orbs reliably unless you have zeus on attack

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
32 heat finally knocked off, took around 10 attempts. Hestia w aphro attack is pretty reliable. Ready for Lades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Pretty sure my fastest run ever was with hidden spear. Exploding special can do bonkers damage