Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

eightysixed posted:

I’ve done almost 70 and still haven’t even gotten out yet :argh:

Old Dun Cow posted:

If you want to finally beat dad, try a Demeter/Artemis laser crystal cast build. Basically you just focus on getting chill on the laser, the added cast diamond from Artemis and the Duo boon that makes the laser track faster. Then you just lay down unending laser crystals while everything crawls around dying. If you get the Demeter boon for triggering an explosion on 10 chill stacks, even better.

Another option that works well for a lot of people: Use the Aegis. The charge attack will block until you let go of the button, and it will block anything he throws at you. You can get a good rhythm going where you block an attack, charge into him, dash away and face him again with the shield up, repeat as necessary. When he summons his minions, concentrate on taking them down first. Dionysus' cast is also pretty good at hitting him over the big pillars if you're on the opposite side. Another thing I find helpful is to go for safe "big damage"-style greater calls, like Aphrodite, Artemis, or Poseidon.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

So, hints for beating Asterius and Theseus:

To start with, as has been said focus on the bull first. He follows after you, so draw him away from Theseus toward the ring outside the pillars. When he does his jump attack, dash towards and under him, then hit him when he lands. If he charges at you, dash through one of the large pillars so he crashes into it, stopping him. In the meantime, Theseus is going to be charging up a spear throw at you; again, being on the opposite side of a pillar is going to foil him. So: your best bet for the first part of the fight is to use hit and run tactics on Asterius, sticking close to the pillars to evade attacks. Once he gets to half health, his axe attack gets a three-beam spread attack; this shouldn't change your strategy much, just try to keep behind him as much as possible. Keep dodging those spears; learn the timing of the throw, and the farther you are from Theseus the better, since his spear has to travel farther.

Once you have Asterius down, you'll have to close in on Theseus. He carries a shield, so you can't effectively hit him from the front. Watch his movements: if he walks away, he's going to set up for a spear throw. If he advances on you, he's going to do a spin attack. You know how to dodge spears by now; you just have to do it from a closer distance so you can hit him from behind as he walks away to set up for his next throw. If he goes for a spin attack, keep you distance until he does his windup, then dash laterally from the direction of his attack so you can get back in and hit him. When you get him down to half health, he'll switch things up a bit: he'll call on a god to aid him. He'll never use one who is aiding you, so keep that in mind. All of the calls start with numerous shots directed at your location, so just run until the attack ends and you shouldn't get hit. After that, the attack pattern will depend on which god he is using: Artemis and Athena are probably the easiest to dodge, as their attacks don't reach the edge of the arena. As for getting hits in on Theseus, it's going to be a bit harder, but his base AI doesn't change at all. If you have any Cthonic Companions yet, now is the best time to use them; the same with greater calls. A tactic I like to use is to spend the fight against Asterius building up my call meter, whittle Theseus down to half health, then bust out my greater call and Cthonic Companion in succession, which will generally knock him out, or at least leave him near death.

And if you're mostly using the sword, I honestly recommend trying other weapons. In my experience it's the hardest one to use effectively.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I started a new file a couple days ago, and got my first victory on attempt #9, with the sword. Well, not so much with the sword as with the Lightning Rod boon. I don't think I took so much as one swipe at Hades himself with the thing. I really need to figure out how to get OBS to record smoothly on my machine; I recorded the whole playthrough but it's unwatchably choppy: more a series of disambiguated stills with sound playing over them than an actual video. :sigh:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is the game's final boss beatable on your first run or are there impossible roadblocks that force a couple restarts?

Incoherence posted:

It's possible (there's a whole speedrun category for it), and because the writers thought of everything, there's specific dialogue for it. The first run kinda restricts your boon selection, though, so between that and having none of the darkness abilities, it's fairly challenging to complete.

Yeah, it's technically doable, but really hard. A lot of it comes down to how much health you can get hold of, the boons you get, and your own personal skill with the sword. That last factor is probably the most difficult part to get past, because the base sword just isn't that good until you can invest some titan blood in it: there's no ranged damage option without boons apart from your single cast charge, and attack animations are long enough that you're more prone to taking hits. You don't have a lot of flexibility during your first run.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I know it's established that they are very much not welcome in the House, but I think DLC that added Tisiphone and Alecto there (hell, make it a contractor purchase) would be fun.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

That's quite a good build. I usually don't go for Athena's cast, but with the duo boon, multi-target throws and damage on return, I imagine it clears out chambers quickly.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My second file has been going pretty well so far. I got my first win with the sword on run 9, so I decided what the heck and to just keep rotating through sword->spear->shield->bow->fists->rail, raising the heat by one after each cycle. So far I've won 18 out of 33 attempts. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Just had a run earlier combining Talos fists with a Poseidon-boosted special. Not the most lethal build I've ever had, but it did the job and the yo-yo effect was certainly entertaining.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Last night I managed to get the Rocket Bomb/Cluster Bomb combo for the Rail. It's absolutely ridiculous. I lost two charges of Death Defiance on Hades just because I wanted to get in close and see how fast I could finish him off; with Demeter's special and a few other general damage-boosting boons I was doing roughly 1000-1200 per attack if all the rockets hit.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I finally beat Extreme Measures 4 for the first time. Took me four attempts; the first two I didn't even make it to the final phase of the fight. I probably would have beaten the third attempt had I remembered the I still had my CC summon available, it was that close. Success in that fight seems really build-dependent, at least with the sword.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Riven posted:

Is there anything in this game more reliably satisfying than saving up a fully charged Aphrodite or Artemis call, then right as Theseus makes his call just ending him immediately?

“Neat trick Theseus, I can do that too, but better.”

I like doing this with the Ares call, just for the schadenfreude of watching the initial attack flurry from his call do absolutely nothing while I stand there draining his health. It's even better doing this after hearing him gripe at me about destroying his precious chariot.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Riven posted:

Oh yeah that sucks, it’s the worst. I only let calls loose once the minions are cleared.

For me it depends on what he summons. If it's a bunch of void stones and one of the Elysian warriors, I'd consider it a cast well spent just to get the field cleared and Hades open to damage again that much faster.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Just got the second Skelly prize a couple days ago. That's all the achievements for me!

Now I just have to do a 32 heat run, do all the badges, and buy a few more things for the house, and this file will be done!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Well, I finally beat the game with 32 heat earlier today, using Zeus shield. I think the most surprising thing about it was how relatively unremarkable my build was:

I think the biggest difference was made by the defensive boons; having both damage resistance and stronger Weak effects went a long way, particularly since I had no heat points in increased damage or reduced healing. Also I lucked out in a couple of ways: I didn't have to face either of the dual miniboss fights in the final area, and Hades' phase 1 summons were easy to deal with. Offense was pretty balanced and well suited to fighting with the Zeus shield; the basic pattern that worked best for me was to use the special, then follow up with a bull rush-dash strike combo.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Another very important thing to do is to get all of the rank badges. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm working on it.

Also did this a couple of times:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

The Zombie Guy posted:

Over a hundred runs in, and the game is still charming me and making me laugh.

Hermes does a pretty good impression.

I think my favorite is "Cerberus licks endlessly at something on the floor."

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

raditts posted:

Man, what are some strategies for phase 3 of EM Hades? None of the other bosses are that hard (and it's honestly easier imo to dodge EM Theseus) and his regular two phases aren't that different, but re-doing phase 2 again except you can barely loving see anything makes it a lot more challenging! I had a Exagryph loadout with flurry shot, chain lightning, and that artemis ability that shoots out seeking arrow when you hit and I felt bad for every other enemy in the game the way I bullied the poo poo out of them, and EM Hades still got me in phase 3 because it's a lot harder to shoot what you can't see, especially when blind firing means cracking open a jar full of hands.

My main advice would be: get good enough at the first two phases that you can go into the third with all of your Death Defiance uses intact on a consistent basis, then go ham on him. Bring along Antos or Mort, go with Artemis or Aphrodite calls and hit him with full charges. Catch him with these while he's stopped and trying to recover his health, wasting his time. Make sure you can stack up two or more status effects on him for the bonus damage. Basically, focus more on winning the damage race than on trying to dodge his attacks and you should be able to outlast him--he start s phase 3 with reduced health and doesn't get any invincibility time-outs like he does in the first two. Good luck, EM Hades is tough!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I personally would find it amusing if the Furies had been transformed into the Eumenides in the interval between games and were still incredibly salty about it.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

sorry but you're not finished until you've done 32 heat

Also have to get the "Unseen One" rank badge. Only took me about 430 runs! :shepicide:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Got the credits on Escape number 33. It was a pretty decent run with Zag fists and Plume, with Dionysus and Rolling/Sturdy Hammers on the light attack, and the Dio/Ares duo DoT. I'm only slightly mad that I didn't get to .fight Dad at the end, he gave me a free W. When I really wanted to test that build out against the last boss, I probably would have melted him.

Also I wish I did that run on a higher heat, marked some more annoying prophecy challenges off.

The real pro strategy is to make that particular escape your 32 heat run.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 19, 2024

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I picked this up over the weekend, have tried only two runs so far. My first impression is a good one; it's more of the same but different, and I'm looking forward to playing it more. I think it has a somewhat steeper learning curve, but not that much more--IIRC with the original game it took me over 50 runs to get my first win. I remember dying repeatedly to the Inferno-Bomber miniboss when I first began; likewise my second run of this game ended with the tree mini-boss (I forget what it's called). Its attack pattern is easy enough to learn and I don't think it will take me more than a few tries to beat, but we'll see.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Have I really only played 16 attempts? It feels like more. At any rate, I just got to the Sirens for the first time and got completely trashed by them. There never seemed to be a safe spot in the arena at all. That said, I loved the concept and designs for them. I lol'd.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Overall my only criticism of the portraits is that a lot of the gods have this really stiff "posing for a military photo" look, where in the first game they were more dynamic. I'm trying to make sense of Zeus's facial expression, which seems to imply someone just farted in an elevator he's stuck in.

I remember a lot of people had this criticism when early portrait artwork was being revealed. Having played the game for a week now, I see where the criticism is coming from and to an extent I agree, but on the other hand I can see the reasoning behind the change--the gods are, in fact, at war and are therefore dressed and posing in a more military mode. I just hope they come up with good artwork to replace what I assume are placeholders for the Keepsakes and Charon. Hopefully Narcissus gets a makeover too, a guy that handsome deserves one. :wink:

So, last time I posted I mentioned that I first got to the Sirens on my 16th attempt. That was incorrect, it was my 11th attempt (I had 16 Grasp). Thanks to the thread's advice, I did make it past them on my next attempt only to be stopped by the Infernal Beast. Eventually I did make it all the way to Chronos on my (actual) 16th attempt, but couldn't get past his first form. I still feel like I could have and should have done so, even on my first try--he's incrtedibly predictable and I had a really good build going that melted everything and left me taking little to no damage--the dagger/sickle combo with Hephaestus Attack and Sprint (also the "vent" delayed attack and his Legendary boon, plus the cooldown on the attack effect was reduced 5 seconds), Demeter Special, Hestia Cast and the Healing Hex with something like a third of its "tech tree" (can't remember the name of it) filled in. I could heal myself something like 10 times by the time I got to him, I just couldn't burn through my magic points fast enough to keep up with the damage--I found myself getting more sloppy as the fight went on. I really thought I could get past the first form going into the fight, especially after I cleared out the first round of his minions with barely a scratch.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

dmboogie posted:

i like putting heph's big hit on whichever of my attack or special isn't my primary damage dealer that run; he's never my first choice but if i haven't run into a hera or demeter to give me an on-hit debuff it usually works out fine

mostly loving the new cast! i do wish odysseus was a little livelier, he has some good moments (like his hot springs scene) but i was really expecting him to have a little more spice

moros is similarly subdued but i find the contrast of his very nice and polite manners with him being a Doom God funny enough to get a pass

I like that Eris is a litterbug. The Sower of Discord doing petty little poo poo to annoy people for no real reason is just :discourse: