Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Last Celebration posted:

No one ever at any point feels Guan Yu, the common consensus even like eight months later is that it’s the only Just Plain Bad aspect in the game and the devs have and continue to massively overrate healing on demand, cause poo poo, even with like -25/20/15/10/5% HP it would be on par with the other hidden aspects.

Some people really like Guan Yu. It’s very polarizing and I’m definitely anti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If you're going to use Dio with the Hidden Shield definitely go with Stygian Soul imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Here's an example of a really strong build with Beowulf + Trippy Flare, he goes into a couple of mirror options, other boons, and hammers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY42CJs159Q&t=391s

It's not the only way to use that aspect but maybe this will help give you an idea of how to make it shine.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Just keep in mind that some boons work better with slower attacks that do lots of damage and some boons shine with quicker attacks where you can get a lot of hits in. DIonysus might not very good on a sword or spear, but he can do very well on other weapons like the fists*

*although I actually don't really like him on the fists because his hits max stack way too quickly imo. Zeus and Demeter (with that one that bursts at 10) are really good though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I usually shoot for around 250 HP and after that I stop prioritizing hearts, but everyone has their own comfort zone

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
TBH I usually don't find the greater calls to be worth it for the most part.

Artemis though...

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I only take the levels if I already have my core boons in place with some rarity on them

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mescal posted:

This is basically the only "before you play" advice that matters. Talk to achilles every time. Secondarily, get the +HP or +Death defiance trinket. Will get you to your first clear faster.

This, but also get the harp as early as you can and play it before every run. No gameplay benefit, but you have to practice on that thing for a long time before you get the next bit of dialogue in that side-plot

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lightning is a deceptively lovely choice on Charon's special for primarily that reason.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Off the top of my head, Ares is the only one that truly doesn't work on Chiron's special, but you can pick up a supporting boon that fixes that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Garrand posted:

I mean, Persephone is Hades' niece so yeah, that kind of stuff isn't really a worry anyway

the gods are all sorts of hosed up

In Hades they just throw the word “foster” in a lot to get around this. Like Zeus is Demeter’s foster brother and so on

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
basically you start the game at the lowest point in his personal relationships save for Achilles and Nyx.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think the couch is needed for Hypnos.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

priznat posted:

How is the Beowulf shield? I just unlocked that one.

It's very cast-centered. I'm a big fan of running with Dio and the regenerating bloodstone mirror skill, but it's definitely a much different playstyle than the other shields. I think Zeus aspect is probably "better" but that one never really worked for me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Since I've beaten the game once and I have already picked a lot of the Fated Prophecy Boon choices already, now my goal is to experiment with specific builds and play styles in mind for fun and profit.

Right now, I'm focusing on a sniper crits style with the Chiron Bow. Even before getting to Asphodel, I've been doing obscene damage with a charged shot + special follow-up with Artemis Boons that give extra seeking arrows and bigger chances for crits plus Demeter Slow on Attack buff for good measure.

Are there any recommended Gods that have good synergy with this play style? I'm considering seeking out the Athena Deflect dash as a safety measure since it's pretty OP on any build, but maybe I should consider Ares too? I don't think I really want Poseidon knocking enemies around, even though it's normally super fun on a dash-and-smash melee build, especially in the Styx sewers levels.

Also, just want to add that my experience using the Rail has helped me feel more comfortable when going to the Bow and embracing a long-range play style. I really have to give the game credit for helping you to avoid staying fixated on a specific initial play style or set of Boons and gently incentivizes you to experiment around with unfamiliar weapons and Boons. As other posters have mentioned before, you might be surprised and find a new Boon or play style you end up really liking! :D

In case you haven't already tried this combo, try using Aphrodite on the attack with the Heart Rend Duo Boon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RatHat posted:

Yeah for those who don’t know, Aphrodite gives the biggest % damage bonus. Artemis is the lowest(aside from Zeus, Dionysus, and Ares which don’t give an attack bonus at all) but comes with 15% crit which more than makes up for it. Most highest damage builds use one of those two. Poseidon, Demeter, and Athena give a lower damage bonus but come with some upside(Knockback, Chill, and Deflect) which can be the basis for some specific builds.

And then Heart Rend causes your critical hits to do more damage to weak enemies, so for Chiron you’re tagging them with an Aphrodite attack and then letting loose a rain of boosted crits and you rack up damage pretty quickly.

Chiron has a lot of fun builds (I like Demeter on special too, with arctic blast)

Rama took some time to get used to but I had some success doing the Aphrodite/Artemis build again but in reverse (Artemis on attack)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Khizan posted:

The big thing here is that you need to use your first six blood carefully, because you will not get access to more of it until you kill the final boss.

You could always trade Ambrosia too if you really need to. You'll need a fair amount of it eventually, but that's not for a good long while and by then you'll have access to more of it and Titan Blood anyhow.

^Yeah, some of the prophecies give it out too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

RatHat posted:

Wow Blizzard shot(the Poseidon/Demeter duo boon) is a lot better than the description makes it sound.

Also am I missing something about Aspect of Chaos? I’ve seen so many people calling it stupidly powerful but I don’t get it. It’s not bad but I wouldn’t even call it the best shield aspect.

IIRC it got nerfed at some point early on

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I probably played the lyre like 10-15 times between runs and it felt like it took like 30-40 runs to finish it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Phenotype posted:

That's what I bought it for -- I like having a game or two installed on the hard drive that I can just fire up and jump into a quick session between doing other things. Every time I've fired up Hades, though, it's turned into an hour-long session and I don't end up doing the other thing.

Ah yes, the "one more run" trap

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Klyith posted:

The keepsakes are pretty orthogonal to weapons. Obviously there are some keepsakes that only work with some weapons. (Ex using the feather on a ranged weapon isn't great because ranged weapons are slower to clear rooms, and the butterfly can be tricky for melee if you're not really good at the game). But other than the feather & butterfly, which you need to use the whole run, the thing that keepsakes are best at is buffing & controlling the run itself. A good boon is far more powerful than any of the generic buffs like distant memory.

The most basic keepsake pattern IMO is Coin Purse / Chaos Egg -> mid-run god control -> styx-specific keepsakes

Coin purse: it's the most boring keepsake, but it buys you an extra boon for your run. It's the most effective keepsake of the lot.
Chaos Egg: if you don't have the mirror fully unlocked and max health upgrades, the egg is very nice for both avoiding a big chunk of damage and getting a better boon. Chaos boons are great and you want to get them early. Once you've got the mirror powered way up the egg kinda loses value.

God control: after tartarus you want to have an idea of where your build is going. You've got a hammer upgrade, 2-3 gods set, probably a chaos boon, and hopefully some of them are starting to stack up. At this point you can look ahead and think about the Duos and other combos that will make you OP. Force a new god to get on a path you want, or force a god that you already have if they have a lot of pre-reqs or stacking boons.

If you don't need god control, putting the Pom Blossom on for all of asphodel & elysium is really good.

Styx keepsakes
Spiked collar or lucky tooth: when you're still new-ish at the game and not carrying a full set of DD into the boss fight
Evergreen acorn: is both defense and offense because ignoring hits means you don't get interrupted while attacking
Broken spearpoint: if you hate the Styx tunnels more than the boss fight itself, this one is great for that. A lot of styx damage is DoTs (poison, snake lasers) which the spearpoint blocks.
Charon's Hourglass: risk/reward but has really high potential. Wells are pretty common in the tunnels, but the items decay super fast. The hourglass can let you carry a damage or speed buff item into the boss fight which is potentially amazing. Or you might get crap from the wells and it's useless.

Yeah, just going off of this with my own opinions, Coin Purse is basically a free boon so it's a great one to start with. God keepsakes can also be a good choice if you have a specific build in mind you're gunning for since you can get that started right off the bat. IMO this is also the best place to go with Pom if you're going to do it since, IIRC, Tartarus has the most encounters.

Coin Purse is still good in Asphodel if you haven't taken it. Also, a good place to pick a God keepsake. Duster/Hourglass/Collar is good here and in Elysium if you have trouble keeping your health up. I think keepsake choice here is really a lot more flexible than Tartarus or Styx, so it's really going to depend on the specifics of how you run is going.

I'm a little more offensively-minded, so for Styx, I'll take Orpheus's keepsake for extra ranged damage or Meg's earrings for the 40% damage boost at low health. If you're more defensive, I highly recommend either the Bracers or the Acorn.

The Butterfly one is kind of niche, IMO, because while it works really well if you get it high, you're probably already killing it at this game if you're doing that consistently.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Party Boat posted:

Each of the little rooms in Styx counts for the pom blossom so you get the most out of it there. It's also worth remembering that rooms without encounters (such as the shop or Chaos' realm) don't count towards its total.

I'm pretty boring and tend to go with god trinkets in Tartarus / Asphodel until my build's together and then it's pom pom pom

Sure, but I think at that point there are other keepsakes that give you a higher return on your value than the Poms do.

But tbh I've never been a big pom guy

Also, Chaos Egg (and I'm certain of this from my time trying to get that goddamn legendary) has no impact on how often the Chaos gates show up. That's a big part of why I'm not a huge fan of it.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 3, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
What are you using it with? I'd stick with a ranged weapon for that if you're not already

E: I did mine with a Zeus'd up Aspect of Eris. I imagine Lucifer might work pretty good with that too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

(Dusa relationship spoiler question)

Does anything happen if you let Dusa keep the ambrosia? I already have 20, so I'm not sure if it changes future dialogue by letting her keep it instead.

Nope. Just make the decision you feel is right

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Klyith posted:

I love that the game's character for Ares wasn't "complete idiot rear end in a top hat" like a lot of modern takes. He's a psychopath who loves blood and killing, and thinks that he's really cool. You can feel that this guy is a nasty & dangerous fucker, not a trivial buffoon.

IIRC that depiction of Ares goes all the way back to Ancient Greece, but mostly because those depictions were being written by Athenians and Ares was heavily associated with Sparta.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
On the one hand Artemis is very easy to manage imo. OTOH I keep picking her and she’s taking it more and more personally

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 19, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I will confess that if I don't have the option of one of the special boosting hammers on Chiron I will happily pick the one that lets me fire the attack without charging just to speed up my tagging.

I know it's not an optimal choice.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The dash attack is the real star of the hidden fists imo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Flayer posted:

I took it as not a reference to a specific war, rather the warring nature of mankind.

Or they could tie it into a fantasy DLC where Alexander the Great joins the cast (although I guess Achilles already has the gay Greek warrior niche covered).

I definitely got the vibe that there's been some sort of surge in intake during the timeframe of the game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Pretty much. You may have to go a little out of your comfort zone for a couple of the prophecies but that's basically everything in a nutshell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

You know who else was done with Hades? Zagreus. But he persevered and now he lives with his parents and gets to bang the person he considered his half-brother by blood until like two days ago.

Half is pretty good by Greek God standards.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

My blanket advice for bosses is to slow down just a little. The boss fights have more of a rhythm to them with a mix of telegraphed attacks that leave them extremely vulnerable, attacks that put you on the back foot and need to be dodged or otherwise countered, and then a few where you can keep the pressure up but it requires a comparatively trickier mix of offense and defense.

Even having well beaten the game and worked up a big win streak I still sometimes get ahead of myself and just want to mash mash mash.

Yeah, you're not under a time limit in Hades* so don't feel pressured to go in for an attack if you feel dicey about it. Feel free to step back and focus on evading until you can get a clean hit in. As you get better you'll developed a pretty good sense of when to attack and when to pull back and you'll develop a nice little boss rhythm of your own.

*Until you choose to be

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Fight Skelly but for real

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Bad Purchase posted:

i would buy a dlc that swaps out the greek names for roman names just so that i can finally teach myself which god is which in both pantheons

Let's see if I can get these

Hades = Pluto
Zeus = Jupiter
Poseidon = Neptune
Athena = Minerva
Aphrodite = Venus
Artemis = Diana
Ares = Mars
Dionysus = Bacchus, I think?
Hermes = Mercury
Demeter = Ceres

I don't know the cthonic ones off the top of my head.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

IAmThatIs posted:

I think it's interesting how different weapons mesh with different people. I'm stuck at 2 heat with the shield and gloves, and am 5+ with the others. The bow especially I'm a maestro with haha

I cannot vibe with the spear (other than as a caster with Achilles)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Beowulf + Festive Fog, baby!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It's a small thing but just the fact that each time there's a bonus on one particular weapon, even if I'm not really looking to grind out some darkness, is enough to keep me mixing it up.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It also has really good damage so even if the effect doesn’t work out quite the way you want it’s not like it’s a wasted action.

Although I’m an Artemis man myself

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Item Getter posted:

Well I was able to escape the first time after doing 2 more runs with the gun, on the successful one I had the cluster+rocket bomb which someone else in the thread mentioned. Although I guess the rocket is not really compatible with aspect of eris. Just cluster bomb by itself works very well with it though.
I guess after getting out once I'll just use random weapons/whatever one has the darkness bonus for a bit.
Is the sack for Cerberus always at the end of the 2nd door you go down in Styx or is it random?
I kind of forgot that Cast existed until getting the Demeter one, are any of the other ones good?

Ares can be insanely good if you build it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
PLUTO - You can still pet one of the heads of Kerberos* (but it's a different one)

*I know, but they already used the roman name!