Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Got the game a few weeks back. I'm making steady progress with my fated list of prophecies, having cleared all the legendary boons and about half of the duo boons. Can reliably clear the game on lower heat levels now. But for the life of me, I simply can't complete the "get all boons from Poseidon" prophecy. I'm specifically talking about getting the boon that is only available when you have Poseidon's cast (Rip Current). I'm wearing his keepsake, but even with using one reroll on default by now, I get offered Poseidon's call in less than 50% of all runs in the very first room. And when I finally pick it up, the option to pick Rip Current never comes up :mad:

I know it's just bad RNG, but I feel like venting. Other than that, it's a great roguelike. I really love the progression system between runs, and the characters and their interactions are outstanding. Never thought that a roguelike would be my second favorite RPG this year, after Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous (I know it was released a while ago).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snoremac posted:

So who else has to go up to their friendly shade after the Elysium fight every time?

Every time, and in those rare cases that Zagreus has nothing to say to our friendly shade, I'm sad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There simply has to be a way to reunite Achilles and Patrocles, right? Do I just need to have more conversations with Nyx? She helped me find Orpheus' and Sisyphus' contracts, but lately we mostly spoke about Persephone's return.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Captain Walker posted:

Why should I care about +1 dash if my dashes don't knock away shots (Athena) or enemies (Poseidon)?

On a related note, are any of the other dash boons worth using? Artemis seems like she'd be ok with most weapons, but the rail dash-strike is just the rail normal attack with less mobility after the dash.

If you use the mirror talent that grants you +40% damage against targets that are under two status effects, and you have only one status effect on your attack/special/cast, it can be very worth it to take Demeter's or Dionysus' dashes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bowmore posted:

how long until the sleepy styx watcher person decides I can give them ambrosia?

They need to have a certain number of conversations with their brother, who will praise them for their improving work ethic. So it might take a while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's crazy how addictive this game is. I have all achievements but one, max ranked all my keepsakes and companions, maxed out all relations, and I'm in the process of maxing all the weapons. But there's still so much to do, like decorating the House, catching more fish to complete the Codex, caving in the face of the so called Champion of Elysium a few... dozen more times, unlocking all songs, etc. It really helps that the sessions are so short, about 40 minutes if you count talking with everybody after a run. And I can only redecorate the House of Hades when dad is in attendance, otherwise I would miss a sarcastic quip! But I'm doing one or two runs each day, and it really ads up. It's also as engaging and exciting as the first few runs, it's an amazing game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

poly and open-minded posted:

I sprained a finger (not playing Hades) and now I can't play Hades. This is hell Hades

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Divine dash is the best general boon, right? Some other boons are better with certain weapons and builds, but I feel like you can never, ever go wrong with divine dash.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TACD posted:

Why the gently caress are there suddenly 50 new posts in the HadeOH MY GOD

gently caress yeah, I was super pleasantly surprised, too.

A female PC is great, getting to meet more of the Greek gods is cool, and the combat looked just so slick. I'm very much looking forward to this. I hadn't even hoped for a sequel, but it's such a good thing that they decided to break their "no sequels" policy for Hades.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It seems like Hades might be imprisoned underground, so that's not an impediment to Zagreus helping out. We're probably starting on the surface and going down this time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Rewatching the trailer, as a big Hades fan, I can't believe I didn't immediately pick up that Melinoë was Zag's sister, considering she barefoot and has flaming feet! At least that musical cue before she reveals her mismatched eyes was instantly recognizable.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I didn't know I needed bearded Zagreus, but it's so obvious in hindsight.

His sister also has a really badass visual design. I can't wait to slaughter monsters left and right with her.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Whats with the green translucent arm for the new protagonist?

We don't know yet!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TheWorldsaStage posted:

gently caress me.

I adored Hades. Every single thing about it. I couldn't finish it because how it made my hands feel. I want to play Hades 2 but I already know what's up :(

Isn't there a god mode that significantly easier? The story and characters alone are worth experiencing imho, even if you can't really participate in the combat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can we get a new thread title? Something funny that includes "HADES 2 ANNOUNCED!" or something like that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What do we do to get the thread title changed? Report the OP who came up with Hades 2: Lades?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
With Apollo confirmed for Hades 2, it would be really weird if his twin sister wasn't in it also. It was already weird that Artemis came without her brother in the first game. They confirmed that at least some Olympians would return, naming Zeus as one. If their titan dad was the big antagonist, it would make sense that Zeus and Poseidon return. But that only makes Artemis' return more likely, since there should be a ton of fun interactions with her twin brother.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Byzantine posted:

Hot drat, finally!

Fists, Draining Cutter/Explosive Upper/Deadly Flourish, Ares/Zeus Vengeance, Demeter Dash/Killing Freeze, Artemis' Aid and the Broken Spearpoint. (And God Mode +26%)

Congrats! Now only 7 more times, you get (a) true ending after 10 successful escapes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kheldarn posted:

So I initially wanted to get this game when it came out, but then I saw PartyBug's (abanonded) LP, and changed my mind, because it looked too much like a bullethell, which is a gamestyle I don't enjoy, so I changed my mind.

I have no idea why, but I recently changed my mind (again), and put it on my Steam Wishlist. I just bought it last night, and I've done... I actually don't know how many runs. I do know that I frequently found myself saying, "OK, last run for now," only to start another run after, and thing, "Wait... that was supposed to be the last run. OK, last run for now"...

Game's very good.

So far, I've made it out of Tarterus once, unlocked the Tooth from Skelly and have it Rank 2, got Cerberus' Collar, and I have Rank 1 Heal On Leaving A Chamber, Extra Dash, Rank 1 Deth Defy, and Chance For Infernal Chests. I'm saving up 500 Darkness to get a 2nd Death Defy from the Mirror, and I need 2 (I think?) more keys to unlock the Fists. Any tips for a new player?

The one time I beat Meg, I had nothing but Poseidon Boons and his Call. I died because I kept dashing into the lava in Asphodel while fighting the giant Gorgon Head.

Divine Dash is far and away the best beginner boon. You're generally dashing a lot, and being immune while dashing means you get far less punished for sloppy play.

If you have found any nectar, you can gift it to characters. This includes Olympians! But you must gift the nectar to the god before you talk to them to accept their boon.

The Olympians give you a keepsake like every other character, but the keepsakes are all the same. They improve the rarity of the god's boon by a scaling percentage depending on the keepsake's level, and they guarantee that the next god you meet will match the keepsake you wear. So if you wear Athena's keepsake, you're guaranteed to meet Athena and have a high chance to get Divine Dash.

And as I said, Divine Dash makes the game significantly easier to learn.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Kheldarn posted:

Made it to the final boss today.

Died almost instantly in the 2nd phase. Still, I got further than I expected, so I'll take it!

Are you sure it's the final boss?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Omobono posted:

We all know you're joking but just to confirm for the new player:

Yes, yes that's the final boss.

Yeah, it was just a joke. I don't want to discourage Kheldarn, who made good progress these past few days!

And to reassure him more, the final boss only has 2 phases in total.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sydin posted:

Yeah the spin attack is specifically timed to gently caress with you by punishing if you dash as soon as you see the tell for it.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but try taking one level of Forced Overtime. It increases enemy move and attack speed by 20%, which makes most enemies a bit trickier since all their stuff comes out faster, but ironically makes the final boss easier because it speeds up the intentional delay enough that if you start spamming dashes as soon as you see the tell, you should just avoid the spin.

They can't take Force Overtime unless they beat the forth boss at least once, so that's no help.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

christmas boots posted:

I think it’s also implied that he’s still quite young and hasn’t fully grown into his power either

Probably, considering that Demeter has cast the world into eternal winter, and the mortals aren't all dead yet.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I only got into Hades after it was already out, and I think ideally I'll wait for the full version of Hades 2, as well. But I fear I don't have the willpower to resist jumping into EA...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wait, the guy voicing Zagreus composed basically all the amazing soundtrack in this game? My mind is blown!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Zagreus sounds really good, it's crazy that Darren Korb was just the placeholder voice actor. No wonder they decided to go with him in the end.

I'm super excited to try out new weapons in Hades 2. I hope supergiant go crazy again like they did with the Adamant Rail.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sebzilla posted:

Going to be waiting for the (eventual, probable) Switch release and trying to remain un-spoiled on things until then

So probably ought to stop reading this thread soon!

I think the time to stop reading the thread is now!

I've watched the live stream until they encountered the first god, and then turned it off because I don't want to spoil myself further.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jossar posted:

https://twitter.com/SupergiantGames/status/1783918715144442021

Anybody in the tech test, get your last rounds in, it's closing up soon!

EA coming soon? Great news, I can't wait!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Omobono posted:

As much an rear end in a top hat he is*, you get to keep the gold you loot and deciding to let him carry the room is mostly consequence-free. (is the timer stopped?)

*understandable if you know anything about his myths, still an rear end

E: speaking of, did they deliberately program Nemesis to prioritize killstealing? Because it feels they programmed her to prioritize killstealing and hats off to Supergiant to it.

I liked his reaction when he meets you when you have Hera's boon.

Herc is an rear end in a top hat who has reasons for his behavior, Nem is just an rear end in a top hat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sydin posted:

Could be reading too much into it but I think an interesting interpretation of why Hecate won't let Nemesis go after Chronus is that she knows Nem's heart would never really be in it (or that she might even flip sides) because she's the god of vengeance but isn't fully bought in on the idea that Chronus deserves death for his actions. Once you have a decent number of hearts with Nemesis she can have a conversation with Mel where she flat out says things were better for mortals back in Chronus' golden age than they were under the arbitrary rule of the Olympians, and that maybe what Chronus is doing is in fact the appropriate vengeance the gods deserve for what they did first to their parents, then mortals.

And she might have a point, Demeter just deciding to plunge the world into endless winter because she blamed mortals for her daughter's disappearance certainly doesn't paint the gods in the best light. And Zeus not clearing up the issue shows he doesn't care about mortals, either. I don't know any stories about how life was for mortals under Kronos, was that really described as a golden age?

Of course, game-Chronos isn't doing himself any favors by all the poo poo he pulls. Mortal existence obviously sucks a lot more right now than before Chronos' return, in large part because of decisions Chronos made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The one Olympian I'm sad the most about missing is Athena, I always liked her as a character and boon giver.

I guess Hestia's sprint is the most similar to divine dash. It makes you immune to most projectiles, and "reflects" damage back to their casters. But it's not quite the same. Divine dash allowed for sloppy gameplay in a way Hestia's sprint most certainly doesn't.

I think I understand why they took out the much greater protection Athena's boons offered, since you could just drop damaging casts forever while hiding behind the i-frames granted by Athena's boons.