Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

it's hosed up that cerberus's third head gets all the pets imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Xaris posted:

Is there any point to giving Nectar to NPCs beyond the first one for the keepsake?

you get unique voice lines for each one thats the real reward

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

anyway heres some thoughts i had about where the story could go (spoilers for this game and the rest of supergiant's catalog)

So, Supergiant always things changes things up pretty massively from game to game, but all their stories have a core theme in common - the end of a civilization.

In Bastion, The Kid wakes up after the cataclysmic fall of The City, picking through the shattered pieces of something that was (ostensibly) great. Transistor takes place on the final day of Cloudbank's existence, before the Process factory reset everything and everyone. In Pyre, the stars are dying, and the ancient rites are coming to an end - and you directly bring about the end of the Commonwealth, yourself.

Where does that leave Hades?

We're still in Early Access, and I certainly haven't seen all the voice lines myself, but I've noticed a trend.

In his old age, Cerberus spends more time lying down at Hades' side than standing guard at his post. Hades himself remarks that he is far, far weaker than he used to be. All the ancient heroes are dead and in the Underworld, from Achilles to Orpheus. Any time a non-godly figure or monster is referenced, it's in the past tense - the living world is barren of myths, or at least any that were passed down to us.

The glory days are over.

Is the Greek pantheon itself near the end of its existence? The fact that it's winter outside when Zag escapes, but Persephone is very much not in the Underworld shows that something is very obviously wrong.

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 17, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

These are great observations. I'll be curious to see if this is where they go. I wonder if the renovations are an indicator of this, or possibly vice-versa.

i am absolutely sure that underworld renovations is just a cheeky euphemism for early access

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

y'know, despite how angry and cold he acts due to his feelings of being abandoned, Thanatos still obviously cares a whole lot about Zag, and that made me realize something

his trinket gives you bonuses for clearing rooms without taking damage, which incentivizes a more careful playstyle

even when he's not around, he's doing his best to make sure Zag doesn't get hurt

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Do you have a source on that all planned areas are in, because the "ending" to the game atm literally says "That's it, for now", "The hero's story will continue, but not right now", etc...

the devs have said so on the steam forums

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

I spent all my blood thinking I'd keep getting it for clearing the first world, but that stopped after 5. Do you ever getting new sources of blood, besides trading?

you get more blood from beating the final boss; and after you beat the game you can get more boss drops by adding various difficulty modifiers to your run

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My first impression of that character when I first met him was that he's just an enormous tsundere for Zagreus, so that entertains me just to know. :allears:

he and Meg are 100% Zag's exes imo :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Should I be saving my ambrosia? I haven't had any opportunity to use it, whatever that is. I figure it's like super-nectar, but haven't ever seen it be usable. Really tempted to trade it in for more blood.

when you give someone enough nectar, you'll need entirely amborsia from that point on to advance their storyline

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Is there any non-storyline benefit to it? Like that bottom row in the keepsake storage?

certain characters Than, Meg, Sisyphus, Skelley will give you an additional keepsake that grants you a powerful summon after you get their hearts high enough

presumably this will be the case for every character eventually, the others just arent done yet

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

awesmoe posted:

i think its only those 4 because you only get it for the characters you can romance

i feel like theres gotta be planned rewards for every character otherwise letting you pour nectar into characters for no reward other than (cool) dialogue lines would be kinda rude imo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah the adamant rail is weird in that when it gets going, it really gets going, but on its own it's the worst-feeling weapon in the game

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

I like the fact that absent some other relationship he calls divine beings "mate" but mortals "sir". It's a nice bit of character.

zag's a good dude :unsmith:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

holy poo poo, I got the new hammer upgrade for the sword that makes it send out waves when you attack, and when I got to the Tartarus wave-maker minibosses, Zag was all like 'All right, then it's your waves against mine'

the situational dialogue in this game never fails to impress

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BaconCopter posted:

I was surprised that Sisyphus had dialogue about how I was romancing both Meg and Than.

The interactions in this game are absurdly good!

does doing that upset either of them or is it all just happy deity polyamory funtimes

edit: goddamn the bow is the only weapon i haven't gotten a clear with yet, and the past three runs i've been getting to the final boss and dying while they're at like a quarter health lmao

hera's bow is wonderful and easily carries me that far but its benefits abruptly vanish as soon as you hit something you're not killing in your initial strike, and im having a hardtime coping

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 24, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

imo it's nice that it's relatively easy to make it to the end, since it means even if you're not beating the final boss you're still getting more nectar, hanging out with sisyphus/eurydice/patroclus, meeting thanatos, all the fun story stuff that'd progress at a much slower pace if getting past the furies was a sticking point

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

bamhand posted:

Is cast the only multiplicative chaos bonus? Feel like all the damage buffs in this game need a rework/rebalance. A lot of the boon combos feel like gotchas unless you really know how the mechanics work. Just had a run where I had 200% dash attack damage and 50% cast damage and the latter was WAAAY more consequential.

isn't this just a case of casts having much higher base damage than dash attacks, so even a smaller boost still gives you a bigger damage increase

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

yeah idg why you'd ever take athena's call over ares' which also makes you invulnerable but lasts longer and does damage. not sure why i'd care about a few seonds of deflect while i'm already invulnerable

i guess the upside is you can actually attack during athena's, which will probably do more damage than ares' blade storm

of course since you have a literal second to do that it's a bit tricky to make it worthwhile

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

Honestly they could remove the codex from the game and I wouldn’t miss it in the slightest

it has its moments, like Patroclus's entry

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Man do I love the fists, with them I got my shortest clear yet of 22 minutes.

Incidentally, has anyone figured out how to unlock the administrative chamber?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

im 43 hours in and have yet to unlock a single summon lmao

than and meg are both at six nectar, their events just haven't triggered i guess

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I dont know posted:

There is a story block that has to be cleared up before you can continue to improve the relationship. What exactly it is varies depending on the character, but usually resolved by just continuing to speak with everyone, or accomplishing some specific task.

there are also early access blocks where the content just isnt implemented yet

you can tell in the codex; a "lock" icon is something you can unlock by progressing stories, a "clock" icon means you just need to wait for an update to add more

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Is it just me or is Lucifer really under powered? I think it's really good with the legendary boon from Aphrodite or Demeter, or with support fire from Artemis, but it feels very not good.

What am I missing?

its bombs absolutely gently caress

my first run with it i got the hammer upgrade that lets you fire multiple bombs at once and from that point on i only used the laser beam to detonate them (when i wasnt just exploding them by dashing through)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Maybe this changed during the course of early access, but a pretty major event for zag was learning that nyx was not his mother. If you show up outside, the first thing he says to persephone is "I think you're my mom". I think it will be weird to go back and revisit that (assuming that's what happens on subsequent playthroughs).

zag finding out persephone is his mom is a flashback scene that happens before the game starts

of course that still makes it weird for the player if you manage to beat the game without seeing that scene but i feel like you'd have to be absurdly good to beat the game without any darkness upgrades, which is what thatd require doing

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay what the gently caress I made it all the way to the final zone without dying on a totally amazing run with great boons and I get to the zone with rats and poison just completely owns me. Is there something I'm missing here? I lost four lives just to poison. I was using the sword so I didn't have a ranged option to just stand super far away and pick them off, but that doesn't exactly seem like what was intended.

e: I also had the take 90% less damage from traps boon so that doesn't do anything either

when you get poisoned you can run to one of the pool things thats filled with yellow liquid, drink that and it cures your poison

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dr. Carwash posted:

Am I missing something here, or is the spin move of the spear totally unusable? it's so god drat slow it's unreal.

when it’s charged up, you can dash instead of just releasing the attack button and itll do a sick moving spin attack

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Noper Q posted:

I'm trying to unlock Excalibur and not having any luck. From what I've read, the steps are:
1) Unlock Guan Yu
2) Invest 5 blood in sword aspects
3) Nyx will give you the incantation to unlock it

I've done steps 1 and 2, but Nyx refuses to give up the goods. Its been four attempts or five attempts, at least one successful, since I spent the blood, and she's always absent or talking about something else. Am I just getting unlucky? Do you have to invest at least one blood in all three initial aspects or something? I just want my shiny sword, dangit.

nyx has a lot to say and it might take a while for the right conversation to happen, that’s all there is to it unfortunately

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Unreal_One posted:

The ambrosia is also used for upgrading the summons, so you need something like 60 total by the end of the content.

you also need ambrosia to get the last conversations even for characters that dont give you a summon

it doesnt have any gameplay effects but cmon give your friends some nice gifts they deserve them

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Burginator posted:

I'm stuck at work right now, and all I want to do is be back in my room playing more Hades. I'm *shocked* at how polished this game is. I've got about 7? wins under my belt now, though, and I'm feeling like I've unlocked most of the stuff in the game already. I'll still run this game into the ground, but am I basically just hunting down conversations at this point?

the hidden weapon aspects are probably the biggest thing you have left other than the dialogue and sidequests yeah

(there are a lot of sidestories)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

huh, it's possible i dash too much to get the third slash lol

yeah the special is situationally nice (it’s good for clearing projectiles like the witch coven) but the hidden sword’s real strength is its buff to your health and its massive damage

it is a very different style than basically every other weapon since you can just tank and trade hits a lot of the time lmao

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kin posted:

Weird, I read something on a previous page about someone slapping on a whole bunch of heat for a specific escape attempt and getting a shed load of rewards in one go.

Are you all saying there's no point in popping on say, heat up to 10 when I've only cleared heat 2 on a weapon?

they were doing that to fulfill a prophecy that requires you to escape under certain heat conditions, so while they only got the standard bounties for the heat, the prophecy paid out a bunch

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

I see a lot of love for Festive Fog, but it tends to feel clunky for me.

Is there a way to make it not be a long, slow lob that misses anything moving quickly (ie. most things in Elysium)?

demeter duo or use the hera bow/hidden shield

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

I just wanna know the gods and what kinda boons they give

gods i've encountered so far: (sample size too low to really guess their gimmicks in a lot of cases)

Apollo: dazes, daze can cause enemies to randomly fail to damage you
Aphrodite: applies weakness, i don't remember if weakness is different now
Artemis: same crit stuff as in 1, but she appears randomly to help like Thanatos
Demeter: freezes like in 1
Hestia: fire theme, damage over time
Hephaestus: gives your attacks a chance to do Big Damage Procs (on a cooldown)
Poseidon: same as in 1, a combination of knockback and 'greater reward' boons
Selene: appears to be the replacement for Calls, she gives strong abilities that need to be charged by spending mana
Zeus: applies lightning debuff that explodes for damage

hermes has been mentioned but hasn't appeared yet, seems like he'll be a later plot unlock

no ares yet but given the theming of the game theres no way he isn't around imo

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Some of the new art hits so good, dang.

i can't wait for the non-placeholder art of hestia, her attitude is incredibly fun already

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'm really enjoying the music!

yeah the new electronic edge they added owns, im especially fond of the new shop theme and the artemis encounter theme

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

Just a heads up: According to some people on Reddit, once you beat the boss 5 times, it won't let you leave the starting area any more.

given that save progress won’t transfer im very ready to stop playing after the fifth victory anyways :v:

Klyith posted:

Anyone who played the technical test used M+K controls? I noticed that it now says "controller recommended" on the main menu. :/

OTOH the game seems a bit less frenetic than Hades 1 for button mashing, at least at first glance. Maybe I'll be able to use a controller for this one.

i was a m+k player on 1 and i can report it feels just about the same in 2, nothing to worry about

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 18, 2024

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just read Circe and want them to add Circe like this is just Greek smash bros

same, I think my number one wish would be Daedalus though

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the tools (along with the cards that work as the mirror equivalent) are definitely something where I’ll need to see how they fit into the actual game before I pass judgement

i felt a visceral reaction to realizing I’d have to constantly choose whether to fish or not tho

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

I should get back into Hades to try to do some of the postgame stuff (though to confirm, the end of the main plot is (Big spoilers obvs) BALLS BALLS BALLS BALLS Persephone going back to Hades with Zagreus, right?

i'd say the 'main' plot doesn't actually end until you resolve the reconciling with olympus quests that come afterwards, but the credits roll you're talking about is definitely the climax either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i like putting heph's big hit on whichever of my attack or special isn't my primary damage dealer that run; he's never my first choice but if i haven't run into a hera or demeter to give me an on-hit debuff it usually works out fine

mostly loving the new cast! i do wish odysseus was a little livelier, he has some good moments (like his hot springs scene) but i was really expecting him to have a little more spice

moros is similarly subdued but i find the contrast of his very nice and polite manners with him being a Doom God funny enough to get a pass