Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got the ability to unlock aspects and I am so nervous about wasting my Titan blood on unlocking stuff on weapons I don’t line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got so so close to my first run clear with oddly enough the bow which before this I never really liked

I got the hammer upgrade that lets you charge your special, Athena special boon, and the exposed buff boon.

I could run up to enemies backstab them at point blank and do 1000 damage every hit

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Why am I missing the last keepsake in the keepsake box

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m around 22 runs in and I get to Hades regularly now but he just crushes me in phase 2. Dunno if I’m not building correctly or just need to get better, I usually get to him with a revive or two left.

My current run I’m using +300% to the grenade launcher with Artemis which is doing ridiculous damage even if it is super slow

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JBP posted:

You can cheese hard with this. It owns dropping the nuclear bombs on mooks.

You can Indeed cheese hard with this down to getting my first win against the last boss!! He moves too quick to stay in range of it most of the time (even with the slowing hammer upgrade) but this upgrade turned the million lasers phase from Oh poo poo hide to Oh lol I can do like 3000 damage right now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I may be playing this game too much but also I went from my first win today to also my second and third, both at 1 heat each getting all the bounties again.

My second was the gun... again but with an attack focused build and the infinite ammo hammer upgrade. Just dashing around forever waiting for things to die

Third one was Zeus shield, Zeus special... but the real star was the hammer ability that turns your bull rush into a projectile. Why is that so strong

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

All my favorite weapons I can’t actually win a run with. But feels like It’s getting so much easier I will get there soon and start raising heats

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Transient People posted:

Got my third win trivially last night with an Aphrodite call + infinite onhits + fast call gen fists build, I called down the meganuke like, four times during the last fight. Am I crazy or does every bow aspect bar hera blow? They seem incredibly, unspeakably awful until leveled up like hella. Bow just feels like a bad weapon out the box compared to everything else.

I used Chiron, got the special piercing upgrade, and it turns out your arrows actually go back in to the enemy after they home in on them and do loads of damage

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

If I take out the plume or butterfly for tartarus and change it up, do I still keep the bonuses I earned for the rest of the run or do the trinkets have to stay equipped?

It's kinda hard to think about unequipping the Pom, ngl

Not only do you lose the bonus but you can't go back and equip a keepsake after you unequip it in the same run

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

My opinion of Exagryph got a lot better when I realized you can just hold the fire button down and press dash and you'll keep firing full-auto through the entire dash.
It's kind of awkward to play on controller though since I press both the X and A button with the same finger.
The special seems like it'd way easier to aim with a mouse too. With the thumbstick my choices are basically "let autoaim pick a target which might be an ok choice" or "stop moving and spend 5 seconds moving the reticle across the screen" which gets you killed every time.

This is how I use both Fists and Gun

There is a small pause in the attack strings for both that can be filled by a dash attack and so both of them rely on dashing to keep your damage up if you're using the main attack. Fists is my favorite weapon because of it - I actually really like the aspect of Demeter, especially if you get one of the Special attack hammer buffs. Punch punch punch then shoot multiple giant fireballs

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

My favorite part of Greek mythology was always the tiny chariots that meow at you, then blow themselves up.

My cat loving hates these when I play docked on the TV. He wakes up and runs around looking for the meows and I feel so bad

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The real fun part of that Huge Catch boon? It was from the starting room. Poseidon was my first freebie and just said "wow fishing is rad here have this". At the time I thought it was an ill omen. :v:

That happened to me too! I ended up with like 6 fish but I’m sure I missed a lot and it’s the run where I learned to catch stuff. That buff doesn’t even count for the legendary prophecy lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got the 10th Hades clear and man... the actual change to the Hades fight made me emotional I won’t lie

Such a good game about buff men having daddy issues

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

as I slowly climb the heat ranks what are the good ones to use first?

I’m doing extreme measures + the time limit at heat 2 and they are barely adding any difficulty but some
Of these look like they can ruin runs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was playing on a friend’s save and while you do get better at the game over time it also cannot be overstated how much stuff like starting with 50 HP and 1 revive does to mess you up, not to mention all the aspects and their upgrades.

To anyone struggling early on just keep playing and keep unlocking upgrades

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kuros posted:

To be fair, Zag sword is weak compared to the other aspects. If you have the blood, try Nemesis aspect as on demand crits for your attack is quite nice.

As mentioned earlier, the attack hammers for sword are much better than the special hammers. Shadow Slash, Piercing Wave, Breaching Slash and Double Edge are all good choices. Cursed Slash and Hoarding Slash are more situational.

I typically don't bother with the Thrust part of the attack combo. Dash Strike > Attack > Attack > Special takes out many enemies. Against armored enemies, I'll take out the Special ending until the armor is removed and just dash away from the enemy attack.

Good attack boons would be: Aphrodite, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Zeus. Dionysus is okay, but it can be hard to stack hangover with the sword. Ares is decent for burst damage. Poseidon is actually bad on sword attack IMO since you want the enemy to stay in place for the combo. However, putting Poseidon on the Special is nice since it makes for a good "Get off me!" move.

Take advantage of Privileged Status and Boiling Blood as much as possible with Sword since you're so up close.

From what I remember it will stick to Hades as he walks around. Not so much when he's attacking though.

I got a dash attack buff sword hammer and Artemis dash attack buff and was super excited to dash things to death

I got Poseidon attack buff and just pushed poo poo out of range constantly. Huge waste of a run

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

New Thing: using the Spear with Achilles aspect level 4, +125% to your attack or casts after you special.

Using the ares cast with several buffs. It’s doing like 700 damage a cast if enough of it hits. Because they don’t stick in enemies you can keep picking them up and trying again. I think I will almost not use the attack button this run

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I find it weird there’s no visual effect indicator for the increased damage when you land the Achilles rush. There is for the hades spear twirl.

There is! You are covered in red electricity until it runs out

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I also did loads of damage with Gilgamesh but I couldn’t tell exactly why. Is the normal attack string just better?

Maim is cool but the downside is a BIG downside

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This game has dialogue for turning on Extreme Measures 1 (changes the Fury boss fight), doing a bunch of runs with it, then more dialogue for turning it off - for every possible sister

This is crazy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

I really love this game 90% of the time but there are aspects of it that suck huge poo poo and drain the fun out of having a good run when you immediately get a trash one afterward. I think my biggest issue is that, on the whole, Artemis and Athena boons for weapons and special are mediocre as poo poo. Ares is a close runner up because Doom is the only one of his things I find useful.

Contrast that to Zeus, Drunkard, God of Good Times, Sonic the God Hog, and Broseidon who literally rock the fuckin arena 24x7.

Also feels like flat weapon damage scales super bad and if you get screwed on boons you better get ready for a massive slog of slowly chipping away at poo poo because crit damage procs nowhere near frequently enough to make up for a lack of synergies. This gets compounded by the spike in mob hp + shields in elysium being a verticle line on the curve.

Bitching aside is there any practical use for darkness after youve capped out anything you care about in the mirror? Its rarely used for shop specials. Feels like a big waste and I never try to collect it any longer, considering the total rear end of a grind the gem unlocks are and how stingy they drop.

Athena is crazy strong. Best dash in the game easily but even the normal attack can be quite strong, and then she gets an ability that increases backstab damage by a very big chunk. Right now i am doing 400 damage backstabs. With the fists.

Not to mention that with something like the fists you hold down attack and just run through anything ranged and bounce it back.

Artemis looks boring but crits are ridiculous especially when they stack with other things that stack buff on buff on buff.

Flat damage weapon buffs are good for things like the Bow’s special or the Gun’s main attack.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fun thing

The final Fist aspect gets +2 dash which means it works very well with the +50% damage dash mirror upgrade

Also Maim (special move it gets) can give a further damage increase

+ Athena + backstab bonus + chaos boon of extra backstab damage

I just had a 19 minute run at heat 4 my fastest ever

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have all the keepsakes but now I’m focusing on getting the summons before I spread nectar around

I have skelly but a lot of the others seem to have a pretty big block in there huh. I’ve been sitting on maximum locked affection for most of the others this whole time and I guess I just wait for stuff to trigger?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

???? This is like, the exact run I just had. Zeus jolt bolt on Exagriph attack, empowering carpet bomb that also slowed enemies and caused increased damage. Chill on dash, weakness cast.

Also how do you get the final weapon aspect? All of them look sick

You have to unlock the spear one first. You won’t unlock it until you’ve unlocked a decent amount of aspects in general.

After that you need to spend 5 blood per weapon on aspects (not the default Zagreus aspect!) and then you have a chance to unlock the final aspect

Basically you should be unlocking every aspect for every weapon eventually to unlock all this stuff. You get lots of fates for doing this stuff too

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Do you get anything for big streaks? I’m on a 15 win streak and it’s making me play super carefully with my builds and heat selection because I don’t want to lose it where before I was just trying new combos constantly

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I’ve been using all my nectar and ambrosia on the summon unlock characters and now that those are finishing up do I just give them to whoever I want? I assume you eventually want to max everyone

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got the fate quests for 4 hidden aspects so far. I haven’t unlocked gun yet, and I’m not even gonna try Spear honestly until probably much much later

Dias posted:

Hearts are 150G, so they're usually worth taking over Poms and gold early on. I'll first prioritize getting the Gods I want, then health, then gold. Poms aren't as bad as people think, but you shouldn't be taking a lot of them, I'll take an early one or two if I can level up my main attack, it's usually worth it. If there's nothing I'd like leveled, they're dead last in my priority list.

I’ve been playing with Pom blossom a lot and it has devalued poms for me so much. Especially if you start with it and you have your starting boon at like level 3-4 by the time you get to Furies.

That said having a starting boon at level 4 is a BIG boost it turns out, pretty much any special or attack becomes usable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel like the bow is the most dependent on getting good synergy to have a good run. If you don't get the right boons it becomes useless in the 3rd act. Plink plink plink plink.

If you get the right boons you can do this

https://twitter.com/boobzwithaz/status/1311676591034920961?s=21

(Chiron bow is secretly completely broken)

SKULL.GIF posted:

Chiron-aspected Bow is just totally busted if you can get the hammers that give you bonus base damage for consecutive hits and 4 extra arrows on the special. Would've had a 14 minute run if I hadn't gotten an overly long Styx.

Piercing on special is also very good because from what I can tell arrows seem to go through enemies and either hit them again or backstab them?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did a bunch of the quests and now I have like 25 Titan bloods

I feel like I should start picking and maxing an aspect on each weapon. Or maybe I can max guan yu and finally have it be slightly usable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

And I STILL don’t have Lucifer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I generally start with the Pom blossom if I don’t want a certain god. Your first boon going straight to level 3 or so will help you a lot throughout the run, but it means you have to pick a good one pretty much immediately

My favorite aspects

Sword: Hidden aspect, although Nemesis is a fun completely different play style I kind of like too. For this weapon they feel like completely different play styles

Bow: Chiron is absolutely busted. Easiest weapon in the game. But imo Hidden aspect is more fun and a different play style

Shield: Zeus is literally the only shield aspect I like to play. Basically requires a strong special boon early on though

Spear: Achilles with casts is loads of fun. Huge bursts

Fists: hidden aspect especially with the +50% dodge feels so so strong. Really fun play style. But that said every fist is fun and good my favorite weapon

Gun: Eris I guess but they all feel a bit samey. My favorite gun build is +300% specials which works exactly the same with every aspect anyway

All the hidden aspects play quite differently from the main weapon it feels like

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Artelier posted:

Yup, I've been doing a similar thing, and it's made me become a fast all rounder since I always take Tight Deadline level 2 at least. Oh no synergy with Boons? Then I'll just go a bit slower (hence TD 2 and not 3) and still make it through. I've also imposed a "Must pick Fated option" rule to round out the Prophecies I have left, and only just finished the Boons list.

I do this too! Also the fated prophecy where you beat each Pact of Punishment at least once was a nice way to add variety

If I actually picked the same weapon/boon combo every run I’d probably not be playing this game as much as I have

Benagain posted:

Someone in this thread introduced me to the strategy of picking god trinkets after Tartarus to basically seal in whatever god you want, which I like since I've been burned before.

I always do Family over Privileged mirror buffs and will sometimes just run the trinket of a god I don’t have yet for another 5% on top of whatever else, especially if I can get something like Artemis which is a good standalone passive buff with anything

They lock in the number of gods you can get in a run otherwise right? Definitely feels like it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Omobono posted:

When you have boons from 4 different gods (Hermes and Chaos not included as usual), no more gods can naturally spawn.
This means you can have at most 6 gods by Elysium's end: find 4 in Tartarus, force a fifth and a sixth in Asphodel and Elysium.

I didn’t realize Hermès and Chaos count too! Does Charon’s card count as another god?

SKULL.GIF posted:

When exactly does Artemis's critical hit damage boost come in the damage calculation order? Before or after all your other damage boosts?

At the very end which is why it can be great

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah when I use that one I save a reroll for it just in case. But I’ve had lucky cases where I get a duo I pick strictly to offload it and it gets picked and you get almost 500 gold.

The one that removes one of your choices is MUCH worse imo. I hated that one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Question about heat:

If I do a 3 heat run and finish, can I go back to 2 heat and still claim the goodies? I'd like to knock out a bunch at once, as suggested above, but don't want to do it if I lose out on the bloods I would get from doing it 1 level at a time.

You never lose the bloods but you have to beat the higher heat multiple times to get it I think. Like I believe beating the 3 heat counts as a 2 heat win

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I've only seen one legendary.

And sword #4 is kind of ridiculous. So far of everything I've played, that is the biggest joke. In it's base state it's easy mode. I don't think it even mattered what boons I got, either. I never felt threatened. And that was at heat 4, too.

Legendaries all have requirements - if you actively go for one by getting the prerequisites and have the mirror buff to legendaries you’ll run into them a decent amount. But it’s very hard to luck in to getting the proper setup for them - same with some Duos, I still don’t have them all unlocked after 50 hours but meanwhile I see certain duos constantly throughout my runs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just lost my THIRTY WIN streak to Guan Yu spear

I hate this weapon deeply

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Some of my weapons are like 3 heat apart so I put on extreme measures 3 then lower it to 2. The game has dialogue with all the bosses for doing that it’s crazy how much they have in here

Lt. Danger posted:

Hera Bow, Poseidon Sword, Hidden Sword, Hidden Fists, Hidden Shield are all effectively "complete" at Lvl 1

Chiron Bow, Nemesis Sword, Zag Fists, Zeus Shield, Hades Spear, Hestia Gun need more investment but I find are all strong picks

After many many hidden sword runs I went back to nemesis sword, now maxed with all my blood. I managed to get double special, +60% special chaos, and Artemis on special - loads of very very strong crits and then I had Aphrodite on attack and the boon that increased special damage on weak and oh man what a fun weapon when everything clicks.

Forgot what it was like to play the actual sword and not the super slow death machine

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I just got my 15 blood bonus. So now I can max any aspect. Well, other than hidden fists which still haven't unlocked. Anyway, I am leaning towards the bow aspect that people are raving about. Chiron I think?

Question for the people who have everything maxed...what is the most fun aspect of each weapon?

Personally

Achilles Spear
Zeus Shield
Hidden Fists
Chiron Bow
Hidden Sword/Nemesis sword
Eris gun

But some need the blood way more than others. Hidden sword and fist work at level 1, Achilles spear and Chiron bow need the levels

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I still haven't unlocked the Hestia hidden aspect. I do wish stuff like that wasn't hidden behind RNG. I've had the requirements met for a long, long time but Zeus just refuses to give me the password.

Same and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or if it just takes forever. I’ve almost maxed all the gun aspects and I keep taking Zeus every run and I’m giving him nectar to see if that makes some sort of difference. The other aspects were much quicker

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

There is also dialogue for the bosses for turning EM on and then off for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What do you do with ambrosia if you maxed out most of the relationships? Not that I have just I have a massive pile of it and I don’t think the game has that many uses for it