Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We all remember the big games and where we where when they happened. This is a tread to talk about the games that had nothing going on for them on the outside, but for one weird reason or another you look back on.

The game I will always remember is Texans @ Steelers, December 8, 2002. The Steelers were well on their way to winning the AFC North, while Houston was just happy to have football back and didn't care that they sucked. Pittsburgh was favored by 14, which made sense. What didn't make sense was the actual game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdJpfs_sYI

The Texans had:
-3 first downs
-A hair over 20 minutes of possession
-47 TOTAL GODDAMN YARDS OF OFFENSE

And somehow, SOMEHOW, beat the Steelers based on the best defensive performance in the history of pro football. Tommy Maddox fumbled once and threw two picks, and all three were returned for touchdowns. Even typing this out makes me laugh! How does this even happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

bucs colts week 3 i think MNF 2003 when the bucs were kcking rear end then the colts came back and i learned about "Leaping" and the bucs completely imploded and theyve never been good again

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Browns Lions 2009. Stafford's rookie year, and he's in a shootout with Brady Quinn of all people. Separates his shoulder near the end of the game, has to be taken out for the touchdown try, but the Browns call timeout so he goes back in there and throws the game winning TD. Wanted Stafford to win something of note ever since.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

stokley touch down

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
that one ravens-chargers game where flacco and rivers had a loving shootout that came down to a 4th down play that ray lewis sniffed out and tackled the runner behind the line of scrimmage.

fake edit: this one! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrnDLXxVoFE

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsTNMSbZtDU

patriots

titans

59-0

in heavy snow

an unforgettable murder of a football team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q9v8_FDBI

bean mom fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 17, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Eagles 9ers game at the end of the Reid era i think, Eagles are on 2nd & Goal. Bryce Brown gets a straight run up the middle, hits the pack then inexplicably pitches the ball back to no one, its then recovered and 9ers take over.

Also a Giants Eagles game from i think that season or the season after. Giants have a game winning kick, kicker shanks it but Reid had called a TO just before the kick, 2nd attempt falls like an inch short of the crossbar

We got torched by Cruz that game.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 17, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I love that Texans and Steelers game. That's football for you.

I can probably fill up several pages of random old Ravens game memories.

I remember us almost losing to the 3-11 Cardinals with Trent Dilfer in 2000. But Jaime Sharper intercepted a pass and Jamal Lewis got a TD and they didn't score again. They had Jake Plummer as QB. Also David Boston, Frank Sanders who was an eventual Raven, and their RB was some dude named Michael Pittman. I don't remember too much about this game otherwise except I think Frank Sanders scored the touchdown for the Cardinals. And Pat Tillman intercepted Dilfer in the end zone. I felt so much dread during this game. This was like the proto-Bears 2001 game. But I didn't have any stake in it like that one.

I remember being real excited to watch Ryan Leaf live that year because he was so famously bad. It was raining this game. There was some Art Modell tribute before it but people weren't into it. This was the game where we clinched a playoff berth. That was during the time where Billick had the silly thing where the players couldn't say the word "playoffs" or they'd get fined. So it was referred to as "Festivus" and they showed Seinfeld clips on the screen during the game. It later turned into "Festivus Maximus" to refer to the Superbowl. It was all very corny but fun at the time. Jamal Lewis also said those Chargers were the toughest defense he ran against all season. They had Junior Seau of course and Rodney Harrison. I believe Harrison had two interceptions but not 100% sure. Just checked and Yep it was!! I also remember a series of plays where Leaf threw a pick and I started laughing and saying how bad he was and thanks for the gift!! And then Dilfer threw one right after and I was so annoyed! We won 24-3 though.

I mentioned this recently but before the Dallas Cowboys game some weird rear end 8 year old kid in a Cowboys jersey came up the steps going to his seats and was being real aggressive and loud screaming at Ravens fans like "COME ON COWBOYS!!!" in a likely put-on Texan-style accent. Well he quieted down quickly let's just say.

I remember being so mad cause I was going through catholic confirmation crap at that time and missed several games because of their drat events. Even part of the Titans playoff game but I saw most of it.

Of course I remember the first Jaguars game with the Sharpe TD. But also the second Jaguars game that was one of the worst-played games I've ever seen the Ravens play(and that's saying something). But the Jaguars played equally as bad. We won 15-10. Brunell got benched during this game. Their backup was Jaime Martin or something I don't remember the name.

I remember one of my Redskin fan adversaries saying how bullshit it was that the Ravens were favored by 17 over the Browns in their second matchup and then going to that game and the Browns scoring quick and thinking he was right. But then we blew them out 44-7. During the game I remarked to a nearby fan that usually sat behind me that Jamal Lewis was awesome but he hadn't really broken a huge run for a TD yet and I wanted to see that. Well later on in the game he got a 40 or so yard TD run and the guy was like "THERES YOUR RUN!!" and I said back to him "no that wasn't long enough". The Browns must have gone through 3 QBs in this game, one of them being current Eagles coach Doug Pederson.

I remember not caring too much about the first game against the Steelers because I still wasn't that into it yet, and kind of hoping the Ravens would lose just so my dad would get mad. I thought it was funny when he'd get mad about football. I went out with my mom to buy shoes instead and they had the game on there and I saw all these Pittsburgh fans waving their towels and was like "Oh I can tell the Ravens are losing". So when my dad got home(this was before I really used the internet a lot) I was like "did the Ravens lose??" and he's like "No we gave them an old-fashioned butt kicking" and I was like oh. It wasn't until the next week's game that I got into it. That was that famous Jaguars game.

Oh more about that Steelers game. I remember my dad hated when we had to play Kordell Stewart cause he always killed us. But Bill Cowher started this dope Kent Graham instead! I remember when I saw the highlights of the game being completely baffled that anyone would think Kent Graham was a good choice over Kordell Stewart. The dude looked like what would happen if you took some random 65 year old man and had him start at QB in the NFL. I don't think the Steelers won a single game when he was the starter.

Then the following week after the Jaguars game I got so mad that we lost to the Dolphins. I was screaming at the TV for the first time and mad at Billick who was soaked in rain. There was an annoying Dolphins fan at the time too and he was happy. It was "Dan Marino Night" for the Dolphins. This was Jamal Lewis' first start and he had some good runs. Tony Banks got sacked six times. Those Dolphins had a nasty defense. Thurman Thomas was also their 2nd RB and he had some nice plays for them in that mess.

I remember in week 4 we beat the Bengals 37-0 and Jamal Lewis was running over their players and knocked their helmets off. This was also the game where Rob Burnett murdered Akili Smith on the field, and Corey Dillon(who set the rushing record later that year) quit during the game because it was impossible to run on us. Bruce Coslett was fired after this game as well. We shut out the Bengals at home 3 straight years from 99-01.

Of course I remember the last week of that season against the Jets where they were passing the ball pretty well but right before halftime Chris McAlister nabbed one of Testaverde's passes and took it all the way for the touchdown from our own red zone. And then in the 2nd half Jermaine Lewis returned two punts for TDs. The game was meaningless for us but the Jets were playing for their lives. But we also set the points record in that game. After they were doing so well passing though my dad turned to me and said "I'm sorry to say this but we're going nowhere in the playoffs".

Ravens vs Steelers 2: This was a terrible game. I was in attendance. We lost 9-6. Trent Dilfer's first start and also the 5th straight game in which we did not score a TD. Travis Taylor got hurt in this game and missed the rest of the season. On the first drive we ran it pretty well but then Billick started Billicking and in the red zone threw it, so we had to take a FG. Hines Ward was still developing and scored a TD. But they missed the extra point. I remember seeing all the Steelers fans in the stadium and being mad. On the last drive of the game Dilfer missed a wide open Qadry Ismail who would have scored a TD and probably won us the game. I also remember on like the last play of the half we sacked Kordell Stewart and recovered the fumble and thinking well that was a pointless turnover. This was a dreadful game though and hardly worth dredging up for any reason.

In the Ravens @ Titans regular season game there was this cool play where Jamal Lewis had a pretty good run but lost the football and it flew up in the air, but he followed it and caught it like a pass as it came down! That was such a neat play. Of course the rest of the game is one of the biggest games that year so far from a "random" memory. But that play was so cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVShKZDKYg&t=3900s here it is if you wanna see it :)

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 17, 2019

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z0mOpL9bMY&t=23s

The '07 Dolphins/Steelers MNF game. I watched that live, and it's as bad as the SB Nation video made it out to be, if not worse.

I've seen lots of bad football in my time (hell, this year alone might be some of the worst football I've seen in one season), but they have yet to top this game in my mind.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The Bills/Browns game where Derek Anderson completed like 2 passes and won.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

2007 Brown Ravens Dawson bar game.

2002 opener Browns Chiefs Rudd throws his helmet.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

That Cards/Seahawks slog of a game that went into OT tied at 6-6 and ended 6-6 when noth teams drove down the field and shanked potential game-winning field goals. Not just a random rear end game, but a random, rear end game. Hell of a cherry on top for fans of neither team though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Logicblade posted:

Browns Lions 2009. Stafford's rookie year, and he's in a shootout with Brady Quinn of all people. Separates his shoulder near the end of the game, has to be taken out for the touchdown try, but the Browns call timeout so he goes back in there and throws the game winning TD. Wanted Stafford to win something of note ever since.
First game I thought of when I read the thread title.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

LiquidFriend posted:

The Bills/Browns game where Derek Anderson completed like 2 passes and won.

That was the worst football game I have ever seen in my life, and I think you’d be hard-pressed to come up with an objectively worse professional football game; hell, you’d be hard-pressed to name a worse game in any professional sport than that one.

Because I’m an idiot who hates myself, I was actually at that game, my most enduring memory is that Ralph Wilson, who had just been inducted into the Hall of Fame earlier that year, had planned to give a speech thanking the fans or whatever at halftime, but he abruptly cancelled it like 30 seconds before he was supposed to go out there, probably because he would have been booed off the field. A bunch of people went out to set up a podium at midfield, stood around looking dumbfounded for about two minutes, then took down the podium without a word.

The next day, when Dick Jauron was not fired, was probably the low point of my adult life as far as Bills-fandom is concerned.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Raiders @ Broncos, September 12, 2011

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 17, 2019

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mystic Stylez posted:

Broncos @ Raiders, September 12, 2011

9/12 never forget.

poo poo I have Gamepass, I should go back and see what the hell happened here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember going to a Purdue @ Michigan game in the early-mid 90s in freezing rain with a final score of 5-3 (or at least that was the score when we left), the most Big Ten football game imaginable.

Logicblade posted:

That game loving ruled. Stafford got his shoulder separated on a Hail Mary at the end of the game but there was DPI in the end zone which is why they got the free play. That might have been his first pro win as well.

I remember lurking the GDT for that week and someone posted "So Stafford is Jesus I think" and for some reason that post has always stuck with me.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I have the ending of this game burned into my mind but I sadly cannot remember the teams. I recorded it on my phone as it was happening but I can't find the video so I can't remember exactly who played.

About two or three years ago, I think it was a TNF or MNF, the team was down six point with two minutes left to go. Drove down the field and set up at about the 7 yard line. As time runs out on the clock, the ball goes up in the endzone and falls to the ground - but a flag comes out. Defensive holding. They call for an untimed down. I want to say it was the Falcons with the ball but I can't be sure. Again, they line up and run a slant, and the WR drops the ball. Game over right? Nope - another flag comes out, this time it's DPI. We go to another untimed down. This time, it's caught on the sideline for the touchdown. Now they've got to kick the extra point to win and I'm rooting so hard for it to be shanked. They line up for the PAT and it's loving blocked, but ANOTHER flag comes out, and AGAIN it's a defensive penalty, so they go for the extra point again. At this point, I'm rooting so loving hard for the guy to shank the kick and send the game to overtime. He runs up and boots a line drive that guns hard right towards the upright and for a split second I genuinely thought he shanked it.

Turns out the ball just snuck inside the post, the kick was good and the game ended 27-26 or something like that. gently caress, I wish I could remember what game that was.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I have the ending of this game burned into my mind but I sadly cannot remember the teams. I recorded it on my phone as it was happening but I can't find the video so I can't remember exactly who played.

About two or three years ago, I think it was a TNF or MNF, the team was down six point with two minutes left to go. Drove down the field and set up at about the 7 yard line. As time runs out on the clock, the ball goes up in the endzone and falls to the ground - but a flag comes out. Defensive holding. They call for an untimed down. I want to say it was the Falcons with the ball but I can't be sure. Again, they line up and run a slant, and the WR drops the ball. Game over right? Nope - another flag comes out, this time it's DPI. We go to another untimed down. This time, it's caught on the sideline for the touchdown. Now they've got to kick the extra point to win and I'm rooting so hard for it to be shanked. They line up for the PAT and it's loving blocked, but ANOTHER flag comes out, and AGAIN it's a defensive penalty, so they go for the extra point again. At this point, I'm rooting so loving hard for the guy to shank the kick and send the game to overtime. He runs up and boots a line drive that guns hard right towards the upright and for a split second I genuinely thought he shanked it.

Turns out the ball just snuck inside the post, the kick was good and the game ended 27-26 or something like that. gently caress, I wish I could remember what game that was.

Not the same game but this reminded me of that Cardinals/Seahawks game with the missed kicks by each team that ended in a tie :D

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mystic Stylez posted:

Broncos @ Raiders, September 12, 2011

never forget the game that broke big bob

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The Ravens-Vikings game from 2013 is random in the sense it was utterly meaningless but it was hall of fame-tier memorable for the 36 points in the last two and a bit minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWVwZIsst8

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Chiefs @ Raiders, 2017?

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/19/16505616/raiders-chiefs-ending-recap-final-score

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://grantland.com/the-triangle/bqbl-a-running-diary-of-the-jets-cardinals-quarterback-failure-clinic/

Jets @ Cardinals, Dec 2 2012. It was.... something

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Vando posted:

The Ravens-Vikings game from 2013 is random in the sense it was utterly meaningless but it was hall of fame-tier memorable for the 36 points in the last two and a bit minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWVwZIsst8

That's amazing.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

Raiders @ Broncos, September 12, 2011

Edited because I posted it the other way around, it was actually Raiders @ Broncos

A game recap:

https://tv5.espn.com/nfl/recap?gameId=310912007

ESPN posted:

Janikowski's 63-yard FG picks up sloppy Raiders
Sebastian Janikowski tied an NFL record with a 63-yard field goal and the Oakland Raiders beat the Denver Broncos 23-20 Monday night in a chippy and clumsy game between the AFC West rivals.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 17, 2019

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The Bengals playoff game with the dumb penalties at the end against the Steelers. First time I watched the NFL with an analytic eye.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The MNF game with the Bills and Cowboys. 24 seconds left in the game, Buffalo has an 8 point lead.

They lose in regulation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV6YIdTw2r0

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

The Texans had:
-3 first downs
-A hair over 20 minutes of possession
-47 TOTAL GODDAMN YARDS OF OFFENSE

And somehow, SOMEHOW, beat the Steelers based on the best defensive performance in the history of pro football. Tommy Maddox fumbled once and threw two picks, and all three were returned for touchdowns. Even typing this out makes me laugh! How does this even happen?

In the same vein, in 2006 the Raiders beat the Steelers 20-13, for their 2nd and last win of the season.

This year Al Davis plucked a man who had been an OC for him... in the 80's out of the Bed and Breakfast he was running to be his OC again, and he installed an offense that worked great... in the 80's. Full of deep drops, long developing routes and bombs down the field. Their oline sucked, their QB sucked, they had Randy Moss and a bunch of sucks at receiver. It was a complete dead on arrival offense and they averaged 10 points per game.

But hey they beat the Steelers this day!... with 17 passing yards, 80 rushing yards, and 2 pick sixes on the 4 times they intercepted Ben Roethlisberger that day. Their other two FG drives were made by multiple personal fouls on the Steelers on one drive, and a long kick return for the other.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Browns @ Bengals November 28, 2004.

108 points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EuqpKwIMDs

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rams-Niners in Week 14 of 2010. A see-saw game that ended with the Niners winning in OT with a field goal. For some reason I remember this game being incredibly emotionally exhausting, or maybe I was just overjoyed the Niners had finally won two games in a row for the first time in what seemed like forever.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sam bradfords first game as a viking where, 15 days after being traded, completed 70% of his passes, threw for 2 tds, and generally just outdueled aaron rogers while getting 19 yards of help from adrian peterson

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'll always remember the andy dalton receiving touchdown game

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The Killing of Tebowmania, Parts I and II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulOM4UN0K_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaiFsFN6efY

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

2007 Bills - Patriots on SNF was probably the height of offensive firepower.

Earlier that day TO had a ridiculous game, catching 4 touchdowns, so Moss went out and also caught 4.... in the first half. Patriots went on to score TD's on their first 7 offensive possessions then got a defensive score before kneeling out the 4th quarter. That was the last time the Bills were on SNF until they beat the Steelers this week in a slobberknocker.

The Bills also kicked a FG down 42-7 in the 3rd quarter.

------------------

Oh yeah, and on the other side, that 2012 Patriots - 49ers game when the Pats just had a giant pile of absurd turnovers and Kaepernick buried then in a 31-3 hole halway into the 3rd quarter when the Patriots finally unfucked themselved and stormed back tieing it up late in the 4th... then promptly gave up a deep bomb from Kaep, and a FG on downs, then scored again themselves, and missed on the onside kick.

Was a lot like what the eventual Falcons superbowl would look like.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Boise State - Oklahoma isn't really random, but I will always remember it for requiring three full threads to get through.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
December 21st, 2014. The Saints just needed to beat the Falcons to limp to the head of the NFC South and a chance to be an 8-8 playoff team. They couldn't do it (and so the Panthers would ultimately limp in at 7-8-1 over the 7-9 Saints and 6-10 Falcons). For some reason I was watching this at the ESPN Club in Disneyworld, and it sucked.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014122104/2014/REG16/falcons@saints

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

2013 Giants @ Eagles

I went to this game, so it was memorable on its own, but this had Eagles starting QB Mark Sanchez getting hurt early on to lead the way for Matt Barkley.

In Barkley's first drive, he got the Eagles into the red zone only to throw a pick. Barkley proceeded to do nothing else for the rest of his career. Eagles lost like 17-10 or some poo poo

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CyberPingu posted:

Also a Giants Eagles game from i think that season or the season after. Giants have a game winning kick, kicker shanks it but Reid had called a TO just before the kick, 2nd attempt falls like an inch short of the crossbar

I was at this game and it was immediately what I thought of.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
October 30th, 2005. Dolphins @ Saints in Death Valley. Saints' first game back in Louisiana. Return of Saban and Ricky Williams. I was at the game and it was as bad a game as you can imagine.

https://youtu.be/Vfr6goob9Ss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember watching this game live as a kid for some reason when this happened:

https://youtu.be/cBqyJPGZcdc