Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For a lot of products there is a lot hidden inside standard contracts. Like cleanliness on grain ships being actually more enforced by the contracts specifying its necessity to get the notice of readiness than the actual regulation.

For branded products control of disposition is hidden in both the sale contract and often the marine insurance contracts for the product. The brand owning companies are incredibly conservative. I’ve seen large amounts of product destroyed, large lots for undamaged dry goods, if say the container gets clipped in a terminal but no product is affect, everything inside intact.

But there is still a bit of salvage that occasionally happens. I’d think this would kill it. And it probably should for some of the listed categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

The sourcing won't be a public record; it'd be disclosed to the government during investigation but they'd only disclose the root sourcing if the investigation traced back past the salvage in identifying the source.

If the record exists and all parties know it exists, it’s going to be requested as part of investigations by third parties representing various partys in the supply chain or their insurers. I mean I’d ask for it if I was working for an underwriter investigating a claim.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Saw this and thought OP as a cheese monger might like this:

The restoration of an antique cheese cutter with a mechanical computer in it

The mechanical computer is just a few levers, but that's all that's needed for it to accurately cut a cheese wheel into the appropriate weights for commercial sale. The explanation of how it works is at the end.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That’s really cool

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Saw this and thought OP as a cheese monger might like this:

The restoration of an antique cheese cutter with a mechanical computer in it

The mechanical computer is just a few levers, but that's all that's needed for it to accurately cut a cheese wheel into the appropriate weights for commercial sale. The explanation of how it works is at the end.

This is intensely cool! Thank you for sharing.

Getting ready to go into the holidays and holy moly am I stocking up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What do you focus on stocking for the holidays?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Cheese mostly. :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

What do you focus on stocking for the holidays?

As much as possible lol. Alpines (for fondue) and soft ripened (brie and such) are the main sellers though. We also get all kinds of new seasonal poo poo, like an aged blue wrapped in port soaked grape leaves.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hi Sandwich Anarchist - it's good to see you and this thread again and I'm glad you're doing well!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Relevant cross-post

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I sell cheese for a living and am working on becoming a CCP (certified cheese professional, think sommelier but for cheese).

Cheese melts when the calcium holding the caesin proteins together dissolves under heat, letting the proteins separate and loosen. The more aged a cheese is, the better it melts (aged cheddar vs like mozzarella) because the proteins are broken down into smaller pieces by the ripening enzymes (which also breaks down lactose into lactic acid, causing the increase in sourness that we call "sharpness"). High fat content also causes a cheese to melt better, which is why stuff like American cheese and Velveeta are so good at it. High acid content, like swiss cheeses, don't melt as good.

If you get grainy cheese after melting it, its because you did it too quickly and the proteins seized up, clump together, and squeeze the fat out, causing a lumpy, grainy, oily mess. You can also add acid and corn starch to a melted cheese sauce (like fondue), which both do things to keep the proteins isolated from each other, which keeps it smooth and creamy instead of clumpy and stringy.

Follow me for more cheese facts.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Made a new cheese thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991042&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bar Ran Dun posted:

All that said lol re fish, this absolutely needs to happen for fish don’t get me started because I cannot be specific anyway.

Ya talkin’ fish forgery/misrepresentation or something worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Salvage