Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, you’ve redecorated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVyVtL0rJGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
History fact: Montgomery wasn’t even the first place to protest the buses, Baton Rouge had that honour back in 1953, inspiring the more famous ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have a personal interest in Baton Rouge, having lived there for college about a decade ago. A long time friend has just become director of the state museum based there, and she wants to feature the bus boycotts a bit more heavily than the current single panel of information.

The museum currently also has MLK Jr’s funeral hearse on display, adding to the whole Rosa vibe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

American peeps! FYI, certain cinemas will be showing eps 1 and 2 of the new season on January 5th.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My boyfriend was attending a family funeral today, and got talking to a woman who turned out to be Louise Jameson.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, it wouldn’t be Christmas without it!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“What’s the point in being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes?”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That wasn’t bad at all! I got spoiled on the reveal because I couldn’t watch the episode on airing, and the BBC Doctor Who Facebook page decided 24 hours was more than sufficient to have caught up so put up a video with the reveal and Sacha Dhawan giving the history of the Master. :argh:

I really liked his little ‘hi!’ wave. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/doctorwho_bbca/status/1212887295440769024

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 3, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There was a lot to like in this for me:
- the alien environment, whilst being really simple, felt properly alien. There was something very unsettling about it, and it worked very well.

- Also the aliens themselves look great.

- Lenny Henry was surprisingly good, playing his part completely straight, with decent menace.

- Watching the Master deciding for 1.7 seconds whether to keep the charade up or just get to the big fun reveal already.

- The Master having a complete mint collection of the Fortean Times, which I absolutely feel is down to him, and not the character he’s putting on.

It also begs the question, what does the FT even look like in the Whoniverse? The Doctor themselves must be a recurring thread of discussion within its issues, along with the various alien sightings. ‘Mysterious Lighthouse Disappearances - we go over the similarities of the Eilean Mor Case with that of Fang Rock’

Of course, I also have issues:

- I really don’t like the idea of scrapping UNIT completely. The Doctor doesn’t always have to run straight to them in every crisis, but it never hurt to have them just pottering away in the background, unaware of this or that incursion.

- I might have liked another instance of the Doctor picking up on that something was up with O before he reveals all his cards.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’d imagine decapitation would prevent regeneration?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember Sacha Dhawan in post-apocalyptic series The Last Train, which also had Nicola Walker/Liv Chenka.

It occurs to me that in both this story and the last, they mention UNIT being defunct. By dint of calling attention to this, it means these would otherwise have been UNIT stories.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

marktheando posted:

Well on the one hand I want UNIT, on the other hand modern UNIT is kind of poo poo. Especially Kate "my father" Stewart.

Either make new UNIT characters, or don't mention UNIT at all. By calling attention to them, you're providing the very elephant for the room. There's tons of Earth-based stories where they're not mentioned or needed or anything.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The idea of the Doctor and Master texting each other is great. Also, the Doctor is using a RAZR. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That might have been a rare case of part 2 being better than part 1? That was really good, and I feel like the Eiffel Tower scene might have been Jodie’s best work as the Doctor so far. She was absolutely the Doctor there in a way I feel like she hadn’t previously hit at all. I loved her “I don’t like what you’re wearing.”

Sacha Dhawan has been a crush for a few years (and was my choice to replace Capaldi, honestly), so I feel a bit odd fancying the Master. I’ve rapidly come to terms with it though, because he’s some great casting. I’m going to call it that he’s almost certainly back this season.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That 77 years of the Master living on Earth is a nice Big Finish opening.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Avoiding tripping into his own plans around the 70s/80s must have been the hardest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:siren: Big Finish are doing deals on stories with Sacha Dhawan!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m fully in favour of Chibnall bringing back the Cartmel Masterplan.

LOOMS

fractalairduct posted:

A lot of those earlier episodes felt like "millennials are on your drat phones too much and you need to put them down", which is sort of blustering about nothing. This episode, on the other hand, didn't treat technology as a bad thing, just the companies who abuse it. "Corporations are tracking every detail of your online presence and will use this information, which is actually a huge violation of privacy if you think about it" is true, an important thing to make people aware of, and a message that's very appropriate to Who.

Which is a hell of a lot better than ‘Amazon is good actually’ from last season. :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Davros1 posted:

2) He killed those fuckers before they made it off the Eiffel Tower. He's the Master. Some jackbooted thugs aren't a threat to him.

He flew down. Romana was telling the truth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, I just realised that now both the Master and the Doctor (8th, amnesiac) have lived through the 20th century on Earth, blissfully unaware of each other.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I was going to say. Dhawan’s Master has a really short fuse compared to Simm, his closest equivalent. But his charming side is much closer to Ainley or Delgado. When Simm tried being nice, it always felt fake.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I miss Jack. :saddowns:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve seen both raspberry and plum ones in Lidl in Germany, and they’re both great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I always tear up at the moment she realises and he gets to pull the ‘Hello sweetie’. :kimchi:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Any excuse for this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW5tWXvn7A

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The whole episode reminded me of a bunch of Davison and C.Bakes stories all thrown together, both visually and story-wise. But I’m honestly just going to join the ‘what an absolute mess’ chorus. :cripes:

There’s base under siege, and scraps of Alien/Aliens in there, and literally the Mysterious Planet twist again (if this is Siberia, is there still a giant robot pottering about in London’s underground remains?). Lots of pointless back and forthing, along with the worst sin of writing: I Don’t Care What Happens To These People.

Plus it’s topped off with one of the most cringey CLIMATE CHANGE BAD messages at the end.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

For a show that has really done a great job on its visual look since Chibnal took over, that sure is a... uhh... costume I guess :stare:

I noticed this shot when watching and there something really ropey looking about it. I think the Dreg was filmed separately from the shot of the truck? And there's a vague whiff of CGI about it too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have to say, the next episode’s title is really terrible. Like, that’s honestly the best you could come up with? Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Preorder of Tom Baker’s Season 14 Blu-Ray is up on Amazon UK. Due out April 20th, but considering the Season 26 one is still not out from a release date of Dec 23rd, that April may not be firm.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Robert J. Omb posted:

The Doctor doesn’t need oxygen anyway.

Yeah, I was wondering if they'd bring up her respiratory bypass, but no. :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

When was that a thing again?

Last used in Oxygen, and before that Mummy on the Orient Express.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

10 used it to survive the hospital on the moon losing all air.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/farfromallover/status/1217177351114625025

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like they could have done a ‘this planet was used up super quick by human-caused climate change, because of its small size. Earth is also on that path right now.” instead of making it explicitly Earth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I felt like Glenister was channeling Trump when portraying Edison. Something about the way he’d make his face sit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:geno: No, not the mind probe.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh no, that’s terrible. But then I’m not in favour of any fan group names (Whovians, Trekkies, etc).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jodie has confirmed she’s in another season after this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Holy poo poo, that was an episode that did not stop. :stwoon:

I feel like the Master has gone back and changed something fundamental in Gallifrey’s past, and this is an entirely different Doctor that’s been thrown up by the change in history. I feel like we’re meant to infer she’s much younger with her TARDIS being closer to original Round Things configuration (also the actual police box shell looked much smaller with a 60s-style lamp)