Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

These are the least intimidating men in black of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That DNA test could have backfired; "His DNA is 100% Alien! Oh wait, no, hes a zygon. I actually already knew about that, its cool guys."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, I predicted he was a baddie, but this is not where I thought this was going!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I feel like when a British actor gets a call and walks out with that reaction, there's a very small list of things that could've happened.

Yeah, when they get a call and look stunned, but cant say what the call was its either a) a hollywood breakthrough role, b) a major part in Who, or c) Operation Yewtree.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If this is this doctors first "Remind me to time travel back to before this happened and set up the solution when we are done", its a doozy.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"When I arrange your death I expect you to stay dead". Master is a massive hypocrite...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I suspected when they had her being "Ada", but yep, ada lovelace which is nice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"this is the future? A world on fire?" possibly has more resonance now that it does when they wrote it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I really enjoyed that as a two parter, love the new master, am looking forward to him turning up again with no explaination as to how he got back to our universe. But I am EXTREMELY leery of them exploring any "origins of the time lords" stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

PriorMarcus posted:

Between destroying Gallifrey and making the Master gleefully evil again Chibnail clearly decided he wasn't a fan of a lot of late game Moffat ideas.

And good for him, because Moffat clearly wasn't a fan on lots of Davis ideas and over ruled them too.

I dont think anyone (including Moffat) ever thought the Master not being evil was going to stick. You could even argue that its one of the reasons that Moffat killed off Missy; The next showrunner was free to then do whatever version of the Master they wanted.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Why, when presented with something they didnt particularly like, do so many goons immediately jump to the simile "A wet fart"? I think some people need to take better care of their digestion.

The_Doctor posted:

Which is a hell of a lot better than ‘Amazon is good actually’ from last season. :cripes:

I'm not going to address the frankly ridiculous other part of your post, but this... I had a real worry in my mind that they were going to pull out an "actually google is your friend!" out of nowhere 10 minutes from the end, just like that "amazon is good!" episode. Very glad they didnt.

marktheando posted:

That was pretty good but I'm annoyed that they killed Gallifrey again. We get like one story with the Time Lords back and then we are back to the revival status quo. And this dark secret of the Time Lords storyline sounds like some The Other poo poo.

My preferred status for Gallifrey is "It exists, the time lords live there, the doctor could visit, but doesn't". I'm not overly fussed about killing it off or not (we all know it wont stick anyway, sooner or later this or a future showrunner will bring it back), but I am very very wary of this "dark secret of the time lords" stuff. I always think its a little... I dont know, arrogant maybe? To take a show and a character which has existed for more than half a century, and decide that you are the one who will finally nail down the definitive origin of things which have existed for most of that time, answering mysteries which have been unanswered for longer than you have been alive. And that your ideas will be the one that everyone likes and no-one retcons as soon as you are not in charge any more, unlike all the other failed attempts before you (LOOMS). I also include in this category the stuff Moffat (who I generally liked) decided to put in about the doctors childhood, and the stuff RTD put in about the master having been driven mad by the time vortex. I think everyone who is in charge of the modern show is desperate to have some little corner that will always be theirs of the doctors origins, to the point where it can easily get in the way of making the episode around it good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As might all the war crimes.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TinTower posted:

They're only Jaffa cakes if they come from the Israeli city of Jaffa; otherwise, they're sparkling orange biscuits cakes.

There was a court case and everything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I very nearly forgot it was on this week!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

When you have a box which can go literally anywhere in time in space, and no need for any kind of job, the concept of taking a holiday is surely largely redundant.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Is the girl Ryan is chatting up also a hallucination you reckon?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The inbetweeners/his dark materials crossover we didnt know we needed.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

There doesnt seem to be much of a through line in this story to be honest. Its a holiday camp where things arent what it seems, then there are monsters, then they are on an APC going into the wildlands, then they turn back, then they turn around again, then they go into tunnels to go back to the holiday camp, then there is family drama but one of the parties is a terrorist (who is very blase about killing a bunch of strangers considering shes only really trying to get back at her mum) and then you maniacs you blew it all up, its earth.

Its just a bunch of mostly unconnected ideas happening one after another.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heres a sentence I never thought I'd say;

This episode is a waste of the annoying one out the inbetweeners.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Professor: Remember my wonderful students, show not tell.
Ed Hime: So how about I just have the Doctor declare that one of the random identical aliens is the alpha leader out of the blue?
Professor: ....:cripes:

Ed Hime: And also the resolution of the episode relies on the fact that the technobabble worm I made up can mutate the technobabble fuel I made up which sint strong enough to power the teleporter for some reason into a stronger fuel I also made up which can power the teleporter. I will not demonstrate this in any way, but instead have the doctor shout it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Also the mother who made a heroic out-of-character sacrifice will return to make... another, heroic out-of-character sacrifice....?

Which doesnt even save the daughter she showed some guilt about abandoning!

That was absolute trash. There was a promising set up (the holiday camp isnt what it seems!), and a few decent ideas (the virus that can move from machine to humans and back, aliens which could regenerate a doomed planet, the orphan planet concept in general) any ONE of which would make a decent premise for an episode, decent guest stars (Laura Fraser can act, the kid from His Dark Materials is fine for a child actor), but it felt like the writer put all his ideas for 6 episodes on index cards, threw them up in the air and arranged whatever fell face up into a random order, then shoved the worlds most heavy handed global warming message at the end. Nothing had room to breathe, and so for example when the kid gives his "Goodbye Doctor" at the end I was kind of going "Wait, did you guys bond at some point? When did you even interact with each other?"

That episode needed like 5 fewer things happening. Half of what happens was immediately cancelled out anyway (they drive away from the hotel, then walk back to the hotel. The kid runs away, then he comes back on his own. The doctor escapes the one who is apparently the leader, then locks herself in a room with him. Laura Fraser is dead, then she isnt, then she probably is again).

Apparently the writer previously did "it takes you away", that one from last season in the fjords which I dont remember hating, but this was so completely artless I'd believe it if you told be it was the first time the writer had attempted a narrative. All that was missing was an "all a dream" ending (which, I'm not going to lie, from the fact no-one else interacted with ryans love interest for half the episode, the truly bizarre "and the second thing, could you please shoot me", then killing that guy offscreen, then it turning out it was earth, and the general incoherence of the plot I was half expecting a "you've all be hallucinating the whole time!" ending)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

cargohills posted:

I didn't really like it very much either but - really? This and not Ghost Monument, The Tsuranaga Conundrum, Kerblam, The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos, Resolution or Spyfall pt.2?

You cant be serious. At least all of those told at least a vaguely coherent story. Ghost monument was pretty much fine (I'd never say it was great, but definitely not bad), Kerblam was actually shaping up to be pretty good until the wtf "Actually corporations are good" ending, so its at least 70% of a decent episode (If you allow the fact the ending suuuuuucks to colour the rest of the episode, I can understand it. I think of it as "good episode with terrible ending", rather than "this averages out as bad"). The battle of stuff I aint typing out was meh, but really only meh. Tim Shaw just wasnt enough of a presence for him returning to have any meaning, but it wasnt actively offensive. Resolution and Spyfall pt 2 I enjoyed as episodes.

This... This was a mess on every possible level. The writing was completely artless, things just happened one after another, plot points were just shouted at the viewer, the monster looked like a cheap knockoff of... something (its been bugging me since it aired, but I cant put my finger on what it reminded me of). Honestly, out of all the episodes mentioned, this was the only one where if they had just not bothered making it, taken the money spent on it and used it instead for the cast and crew Xmas night out, nothing of any value would have been lost.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

marktheando posted:

Kill the moon was never about abortion lol. Abortion is not a big political issue in the UK like it is in the states, only a small minority of fringe religious nuts want to change abortion laws.

It might not have been intentionally about abortion, but none the less it was very much about abortion.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I know a little bit about tesla (I teach physics), and when my first thought in the episode is "Considering he didnt move to the US until he was in his 20s, thats a hell of an accent he doesnt have...", I am very worried I am going to be unable to stop nit-picking it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

They look for things. Things to make us go.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This is that Hark! A vagrant comic about tesla (http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=61) but with the ladies replaced with laser scorpions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I love this comic so much :allears:

Also, seriously, gently caress Edison.

Yeah, when I talk about Edison and Tesla to classes one of the takeaways is that Edison is historically, a massive arsehole.

Overall that was a fairly dumb fun episode. I enjoyed it, and it was easily leagues better than last week. Isnt going to crack my top ten doctor who episodes or anything, but absolutely good enough.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well, gently caress me I wasnt expecting that...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Well, gently caress me I wasnt expecting that... Again.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, this is one of those episodes which wasnt a two parter, but I'm going to judge as a two parter anyway; I need to see if they stick the landing. As a stand alone episode... It was basically okay, but really the episode plot played second fiddle to the metaplot stuff. Those were so front and centre that I cant say much more than "This episode was an okay way of introducing whatever the gently caress is going on here. I'll let you know if that turns out to be a good thing or a bad thing".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Feels like lot going on this week, but I'm not hating it so far.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I will say that the spasming and turning to dust the victims are doing is a pretty decent (and creepy) effect.

Jerusalem posted:

Uhhh... why did Yaz wait till now to bring this up?

Its giving Yaz something to do that isnt exposition, lets just accept it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Also, "2 girls roaming" is not as good a name as "2 girls 1 trip".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Agreed! I enjoyed that one, no major complaints.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

So far I'm enjoying it!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The hand thing is... fine whatever, until the you get a shot of someone with the glass finger sticking out their ear. Cannot take that seriously!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sadly as soon as anyone in anything says "I go by many names" I jump straight to The Mighty Boosh.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This seasons theme seems to be "Worthy message, delivered with a sledgehammer at the end of the episode", but again, still better than "Accidently giving a lovely message", so I'll take it.

That was a fun episode that I enjoyed, but not a stand out classic or anything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Was that baby the second appearance of Ada Lovelace this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Some top quality "being attacked by this inanimate object" acting from Ryan there.