Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

thrawn527 posted:

Thank god I'm not the only one.

You got at least one more person that had this idea. Could be because I just re-watched Logopolis the other day, so I had the Master's matter compressor on the brain. But yeah, those tree-like things really looked like giant carpet fibers to me. "Naaaah," I think, "can't be The Master."

Welp. :stare:

Reason #672 I've been with my husband for 17 years: he saw this on Jan 1. Knowing my hatred of spoilers, he has been swallowing that reveal for a good two days and didn't drop a single hint until I finally got to see it tonight. Such a good man. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Haha! Well technically we aren't actually married, but we've been together for so long and are in our late forties, so calling him my "boyfriend" sounds kinda silly. People meet us and say "oh, is this your husband/wife?" and we just kinda nod, it's easier.

Fun Doctor Who related fact: we met back in 2003, before there was even a glimmer of hope of a new series. We're both musicians, met at a show we both played at, and really hit it off on a variety of subjects. Before I said goodnight with a peck on the cheek, I gave him my latest CD, which happened to have a sample of Davros's "The beginning, only the beginning!" rant from Genesis.

By the time I got home after the show, he had already listened to my CD and emailed me with "you sampled Davros! Is there no end to your refulgence?" Between my astonishment at someone recognizing a Davros sample back in the Dark Ages, and making me look up a new vocabulary word... well, I knew I found a winner. And here we are. :kimchi:

(If anyone wants to hear the song:
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/the-beginning )

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

What a bizarre coincidence* that just after my first exposure to Sacha Dhawan being him turning out the be the ever-loving Master of all people, he turns up in Dracula, which we just binge watched.

*Not a coincidence, really, it's a Gatiss-Moffat joint, and the Beeb recycles actors like I recycle beer cans.

He's really good in that, too, btw.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

How is Dracula? More like Sherlock season 1 or more like Sherlock season 4?

I can't put it in those terms because I've only seen the first season of Sherlock, but...

If you've got wicked insomnia like I do, you could do worse than binge the whole thing until 6am. I've also read the original novel, and have a soft spot for the 1992 film (Gary Oldman can do no wrong, imo), so it was an interesting take on the subject. The ending saw a bit of me actually gasping, because I did not see that coming.

I'm no expert on tv/film reviews so I don't know how to convey my opinions without revealing too much, but my bottom line is: yeah it's cool and worth a few hours of your time.

Also: we started watching with an 8 year old in the room. It is is absolutely not appropriate for children, just putting that out. Not the gore, but a nun specifically asking "did you have sexual intercourse with X" was not a question Auntie JD wanted to answer if the kiddo asked what that meant. That's when my husband and I I said "WELP GOING TO BED NOW, GOODNIGHT"

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 5, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

SiKboy posted:

I know a little bit about tesla (I teach physics), and when my first thought in the episode is "Considering he didnt move to the US until he was in his 20s, thats a hell of an accent he doesnt have...", I am very worried I am going to be unable to stop nit-picking it.

For me it was every time Edison said "patents". In the US, it's pronounced pah-tents with a short A, not pay-tents with a long A.

Other than that, I enjoyed it!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

This is the most blessed picture I have ever seen.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Nice :allears:

Also I checked out the first episode of Dracula and man I don't know what happened to Moffat and Gatiss but it was pretty bad. There were some good things in there (Jonathan's vow during Dracula's version of the Devil Tempting Jesus for example) but overall it felt like an extension of the worst excesses of the tail end of Sherlock. I hear it gets worse from there which is gonna be something to see.

Ain't gonna spoil it, but if you didn't already know, there's an actor in the second episode that's gonna make you all :aaaaa: My husband and I didn't, and sat there elbowing each other on the couch making vague "gah!" noises.

It's an interesting take on Dracula with a Moffat-esque ending I did not see coming (he's generally good at that, for me). and worth a look-see, imho. If not, it's only three episodes total, you won't have wasted too much time. Then again, I tend not to watch tv with a super critical eye, though, it's "just be in the moment" time-off for my brain unless it's blatantly offensive, visually dull, boring or just plain stupid (Titans, I'm looking in your direction). So ymmv, as always.

Also, that Matthew Waterhouse tweet was :discourse:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

:lmao: Dang, that's cold, Kai.

And now I've got a real hankering to watch "Children of Earth" again, especially now that I'm familiar with Peter Capaldi.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Doctor Who has the perfect set up so that you can do literally anything you want to. Who the gently caress cares about canon when the entire premise involves time travel.

Fixed points in time can’t be changed? Pfff yeah maybe in timeline 46-Beta, but since we did that weird thing on Mega-Neptune or whatever, that’s out the window.

Honestly, I’m surprised Doctor Who hasn’t been tearing itself apart and rebuilding itself more often. It should be taken advantage of.

I'm gonna agree with the general sentiment of "'gently caress canon". It's what turned Legends of Tomorrow into my favorite DC comics show (Harley Quinn's a close second). I'm 45, and old, and tired of nothing but depressing, horrible news, I'm just not into the whole grim-dark, series-long arc thing right now. I don't want the Oncoming Storm, or War Doctor, or the bleak 8th Doctor novels I read in the wilderness years where he's trapped on Earth with amnesia for, like centuries or whatever (I kinda blanked out some of that). I know after Bad Wolf and Moffat's run, newer fans crave that continuity through a series, but as an old fart I miss some episodes that are just "monster of the week" or "well, that didn't make a lick of sense" Brain of Morbius plots from growing up watching an episode a night every night at 7:30 pm on my local PBS station.

That said, I am drat curious about this other Doctor. I'm not gonna stop watching, if only because Jodie is just so loving fun.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I hope either it's something morally awful, like not giving the One Good Cyberman a hug or a treaty or a holiday house or something, or just something really ridiculous, like Bundt Cake. In order to bring attention to the fact that our lives are meaningless and random tangle of interesting arbitrary events. Obviously.

A bundt cake? Pfffft, that's absurd.

Clearly Peter Davison is gonna show up and make a Well-Prepared Meal.

Which Handles can't eat because he doesn't have a body.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Maximum EDA: Fitz

YESSSSSSSSS high five!

(My husband and I were whole hog into EDA books when I adopted my cat in 2003 during the wilderness years, and named him Fitz because I liked the character so much. After 17 years, he responds to his name quite well, so watching an episode where they say "Fitz" all the time would be hilarious, he'd probably meow thru the whole thing.)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

My husband just made this. This is why we've been together for almost 17 years. (Though I still think he should've used Maxill for Linked In)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Cyber controllers have an obvious shown brain but how much is robotic in Cybermen has always varied.

Original Mondasian ones for instance seem to have much of the body intact under a robotic exoskeleton frame.

And we had Danny Pink who had a mostly intact face under his helm from Capaldi's run.

Some stories have a lore justification that the Cybermen, when strapped for resources, prioritize what they replace and will leave more organic components intact, at least until they have the resources for a complete conversion.

And let's not forget the "sexy" half-clad Cyberwoman from that episode of Torchw----

...You know what, please let me forget that episode.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

You know who wrote that episode? THAT'S RIGHT,

:psyduck: I've done as much as humanly possible to blot that abomination out of my head that I totally forgot that.

I'm not a Chibnall hater (not a huge fan, either, I'm pretty in the middle on it), but if I was on the Beeb's hiring team and someone plunked on the table "So, we need a new showrunner. You remember Cyberwoman?" and I saw that on the CV, I would've recoiled in horror as if I just got a resume handed to me done in finger-painted human feces.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

marktheando posted:

Just watch Children of Earth, it's the only good Torchwood.

Eh, iirc it's rocky like most new shows but starts picking up. Like I was just thinking about S1 Ep12 , "Captain Jack Harkness" the other day; I want to watch that one again, I have nothing but good memories of it. My takeaway --- bearing in mind I haven't watched since it aired --- was very hit-or-miss, but picked up a bit in the back half of S1 and got better as time went on.

The_Doctor posted:

My dream was to have a big enough house that I could have a room off to one side just filled with junk and old furniturecovered by sheets, and then in the corner of that have a police box standing. Then if you went through the door, it led to a much larger console room you could only access through the TARDIS.

There's a bar in NYC that does this in a way. At the back of the place, there's an old school phone booth (like the kind Superman ducks into to change) that just looks like part of their decor. If you go in, however, there's a door behind the phone booth, leading to a "secret" 2nd bar that's themed like a Prohibition speak-easy.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Shameless plug, but thinking about that Torchwood episode reminded me of this remix track I made after watching it and taking a fancy to "White Cliffs of Dover".

https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/white-cliffs-of-dover

Surprised I haven't been hit with a C&D on it, especially since it has MURRRAYYY GOOOOLD in it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I've seen some mention of "why would the cybermen follow a cyberleader who still has emotions?" and I'll admit I had the same thought (traditional Cyb's should've seen him react and just said "CYBERCONVERSION FAILED, YOU MUST BE DELETED", [pew pew])... at first.

What if Chibnall's taking a page from "Destiny of the Daleks"? Only instead of "we can't win this war against the Movellans because we're fighting other robots*"), the Cyb's have realized "man, we just can't compete with these irrational, emotional humans that do all kinds of crazy crap that we can't calculate ahead of time? Maybe we need a ringer in this, like the Daleks had Davros?" Something about the whole set-up smacks of that.

*yes, yes, I know Daleks aren't techncially robots, but you know what I mean. Cold, logic, no emotion, may as well be robots. Same for Cybermen.

Also, I really thought the flying heads were gonna swoop down onto the humans, open up down the middle, and just ka-CHUNK around their heads and turn them into, like 60's style Dalek robo-men or something. But no, they just zipped around in some cringe-y CGI (I normally don't notice bad effects because my eyes are bad, but that did not render well, at least on my tv/eyes).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I'm quoting this image, because: what the gently caress was even the point of Capt Jack showing up to deliver a warning? I thought we were gonna get, I dunno, a seemingly remorseful cyberman or something. Like, he appeals to the Doctor's compassion, says "I HAVE EMOTIONS AND WISH TO ENJOY A WELL-PREPARED MEAL. ALSO I AM THE LAST OF MY KIND, AND YOU KNOW HOW THAT IZZZZ!"; Doctor starts to fall for his act, then bam, turns out it's all a trap. Instead, nope it's just an uber-crazy cyberman sharing his plan of deleting all life and domination over the universe. "Don't give him what he wants"? Really don't think we needed the heads up to not listen to the psychotic genocidal maniac, Jack, but thanks anyways!

Then he gets chumped in a second by the Master like he was Aunt Vanessa. Wow. Such a threat. Glad Jack showed up to warn us!

A waste of good Barrowman, I tell you. :colbert:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

One of the weirder plot things about the EDAs was when one of the companions (I won't spoil who, in case somone wants to reads these fever dreams) gets turned into a TARDIS. Like, "oops, time to get off this planet!" and the companion would just... open up somehow and everyone would get inside them. IIRC, this arc continued over a bunch of books, so it's not a one-time deal.

I don't recall a single description of what this actually looked like, just that they "opened up", and it always bothered me. Still does, I guess.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sounds like a very hollow existence.

:dadjoke:

Boo this man! (j/k, I gave it a sensible chuckle/groan)

Speaking of EDAs, did anyone know about or read the extremely short-lived Faction Paradox comics? I remember being amazed that they actually tried this, given:
1. DW fans were few and far between in those days
2. you would have had to have read the EDAs to have understood wtf was going on
3. even if you had, they were still confusing

The artwork was abysmal, and no one (except me) bought it. So unsurprisingly we got 2 issues, and despite the promise of "coming next month! #3!" it never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

shades of eternity posted:

alrighty.

Then the head-shaving affair.

The what now? I'm not on Twitter and in the US, so I get most of my DW dirt from this thread.

Rhyno posted:

I just want a rude rear end penguin to show up, is that too much to ask?

If that's a Frobisher reference, I just want say I've liked and subscribed to your posts. (actually, I've always liked your posts here and in BSS (and your sexy Guy av's))