Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hated it at the time, but I think I kinda love “insane and unhinged, smearing burger wrappers on his face” SimmMaster now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I should probably get around to actually watching last year’s finale before the new episode airs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

The Battle of Who Could Care Less, or Resolution?

The Battle of Too Many Names. I set out to watch it right after it aired but then I saw all the mediocre reviews here and lost nearly all interest.

I love Jodie as The Doctor but man last season had some really dull episodes. I doubt it’ll happen but I hope the new season takes a slightly less grounded approach and just goes nuts with the episode premises.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still can’t believe the revival’s 15th anniversary is this year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

You never forget your first Doctor, and that was Nine for me

Namely on account of my first Doctor Who experience being the 50th Anniversary and I was so lost and confused to the point I literally couldn't tell Ten and Eleven apart when they were in the same room

So I went back to the start of the revival and was even more confused when Nine opened the door and introduced himself

It was a fun introduction to the series

I rented the Nine season from Netflix back when they still mailed stuff and then a month later I went to London and bought all of Ten’s first season on cheapo DVDs since it hadn’t been released in the US yet and watched them on the flight home.

I was not a Ten fan when I landed. :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Wow I guess I never watched last year’s New Year’s special either because I was very confused when a Dalek showed up instead of The Master.

I kept waiting for some kind of team-up reveal like an idiot. :doh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mr.Flibble posted:

So as someone who wanted to give 13 a chance but was turned off by all the boring and political b.s. ,

:jerkbag:

The show has issues, but Jodie and the cast are not among them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I... kinda liked the episode? The alien design is simple but still effectively creepy and the overall spy theme really fits this Tardis team for some reason. Yaz not being given much to do is still an issue, but the cast still has great chemistry and Dhawan looks like he’s going to bring some gleeful rage to The Master. He’s got big shoes to fill after how great Missy was, but I like what we’ve gotten so far. Definitely one of the better Chibnall era episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

Not to drat with faint praise, but that was easily Chibnall's best episode.

Side note: was the audio mix fluctuating for anybody else? It was odd.

I noticed that too, particularly during Yaz and Ryan’s conversation on the porch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Moffat’s problem was that he kept going back to the exact same wells time and time again and each revisit was shittier than the last.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

2house2fly posted:

What an apropos of nothing post

Whoops, that’s on me. The Couch Chat thread was talking about Moffat and I never realized until now that I posted that in the wrong thread.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Social media gets leagues better when you just unfollow any official tv show/movie pages/accounts and totally divorce yourself from the toxic shitheads that thrive in those comments.

Just follow cool fans and the actors.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

That doesn't insulate you, the amount of lovely things I have seen on celebs instagram posts is really disturbing.

“Don’t read the comments” still applies, unfortunately.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t even know if they exist anymore but the raspberry and lime Jaffa cakes were incredible and I really miss them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

marktheando posted:

Apart from having two hearts and being able to regenerate, the respiratory bypass is the only time lord ability the writers usually remember, comes up quite a lot in classic and new who.

Wasn’t there a 5 story where he survives the vacuum of space with basically no equipment?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I swear to god if this is LOOMS I will burn this thread down.

Andy Cartmel: [chanting] looms, looms-

This thread: looms, LOOMS

Chibnall: [pounding on Rhyno’s head] LOOMS, LOOMS, LOOMS!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Now that I’ve finally seen the episode, I’m going to bet on the theory that Ruth is a Doc between 2 and 3. The way she’s hiding on Earth, how she describes the job she has but didn’t sign up for, how the Time Lords have put a bounty out for her capture. Maybe the 2nd Doc was on a mission as an agent for the Time Lords, he’s killed, then the newly regenerated RuthDoc decides to use this opportunity to try and hide from them. Then, after whatever is going to happen this season happens, the Time Lords wipe the Doctor’s memory and dump 3 and his TARDIS in a field.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mehall posted:

Chibnalls said it's not parallel universe or anything

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jo-martin-first-black-doctor-21373790

Also mentions we won't see Jack again this year.

The Jack thing is kinda weird since this episode, to me at least, seemed to setup or hint at a big Journey’s End type season finale with a bunch of recurring folks showing up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’ll take insane and exciting canon-altering lore that probably won’t make a lick of sense when it’s all resolved over whatever boring grounded style Chibnall tried to do last season. gently caress it, give me RTD’s giant mishmash of tones and genres mixed with Moffat’s penchant for mystery boxes and deep lore. Go nuts, this is a show tailor-made to handle that kind of thing. RuthDoc has only been in ten minutes of a single episode so far and I’m already chomping at the bit to see more of her.

I also really like how this season is leaning into 13’s characterization as a tinkering inventor. It’s so nice to see not only Jodie but also the writers really get more comfortable with developing 13’s personality.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Has anyone analyzed what the voices speaking to Ruth before she smashes the glass are saying? The audio is pretty bad on the BBCA app, I couldn’t make any of it out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just don’t like the crystal aesthetic because it reminds me of 9/10’s ugly coral theme. It’s too organic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m way behind on the season so I haven’t watched the finale yet, but it’s so rare to see a nearly unanimous negative reaction in this thread. That reveal must have been a real doozy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Every Doctor has been let down by the writing at some point, this is just routine. To be completely honest, I’ve never watched Doctor Who for the plot or the lore, I’m here for the portrayal of the Doctor and (to a lesser extent) the companions.

Which isn’t to say that poo poo writing is inexcusable, it’s just that it doesn’t bother me as much here as it would on something else.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I would like jodie to outlast chibnall tbh

I just want Jodie to have at least one objectively good season because the inevitable “we told you, JodieDoc’s run was bad BeCaUsE sHe’S a WoMaN!” narrative is going to be so loving tiring. I mean it’s already present of course, but the writing hasn’t done any favors to quiet it.

It’s been extremely disheartening these last few years to watch my sister get really excited at having female characters take prominent positions in big genre franchises, only to eventually become disillusioned because the fandom turns hateful and toxic in response.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

One of the weirder plot things about the EDAs was when one of the companions (I won't spoil who, in case somone wants to reads these fever dreams) gets turned into a TARDIS. Like, "oops, time to get off this planet!" and the companion would just... open up somehow and everyone would get inside them. IIRC, this arc continued over a bunch of books, so it's not a one-time deal.

I don't recall a single description of what this actually looked like, just that they "opened up", and it always bothered me. Still does, I guess.

Sounds like a very hollow existence.

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor Who has historically been lucky enough to cast actors who are strong enough to carry the show even when the scripts are total garbage, and that holds true for JodieDoc. We’ve suffered through a lot of bad seasons under good Docs, so I’m not panicking or anything, but it would definitely be nice if Jodie had her own Season 11 style run of consistently good episodes.