Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Fear Her bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

When was that a thing again?

Last used in Oxygen, and before that Mummy on the Orient Express.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Apart from having two hearts and being able to regenerate, the respiratory bypass is the only time lord ability the writers usually remember, comes up quite a lot in classic and new who.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Preorder of Tom Baker’s Season 14 Blu-Ray is up on Amazon UK. Due out April 20th, but considering the Season 26 one is still not out from a release date of Dec 23rd, that April may not be firm.

I would've guessed they do the Key to Time next, guess I'm wrong!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Dregs.
Dregs of society.
The poor who couldn't get off planet.

Surprised they went with that for a name, it's pretty derogatory.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

marktheando posted:

Apart from having two hearts and being able to regenerate, the respiratory bypass is the only time lord ability the writers usually remember, comes up quite a lot in classic and new who.

Wasn’t there a 5 story where he survives the vacuum of space with basically no equipment?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn’t there a 5 story where he survives the vacuum of space with basically no equipment?

I think so. I want to say that happens in Caves of Androzani. The main one I remember is 4 using it to survive being strangled by a mummy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

10 used it to survive the hospital on the moon losing all air.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I hope they got the shittiest one out of the way for the rest of the season.
As that episode was a pure meh.

It would have been better if it was just a fever dream as some one said.
"What you think its that easy to extract a Hopper virus from a person? A whack on the head!" and they all laugh.

And the end, did they just rewrite how fixed points work?

Edit: Just read someone who pointed it out that in a time machine that can take you ANYWHERE AT ANY POINT OF TIME, the old guy is happy he found a 'won' (as in found) a free holiday to somewhere he doesn't know.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 14, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This was obviously a kind of unsatisfying mess, but what makes it actively bad is the morality towards the "Dregs". Even the name is lovely and cruel. And that could work if there was a humanizing twist, or even an amoral-natural-process twist, but there wasn't. Like, if they're thinking beings, have it look to them like they're under attack. Emphasize the fact that from their perspective they're the justified victims. Or else make it so they're completely mindless, doing what comes naturally to them- like antibodies swarming around an infection.

But instead it's made perfectly clear that they can reason and are intelligent and are just assholes. The Doctor creates a simple allegorical dilemma for the leader to solve. He wants to kill the Doctor, but will suffocate if he does. Only the Doctor can open the door, so he's gotta let the Doctor go. Furthermore, the Doctor won't open the door if she'll immediately die, so the creature needs to lock itself up first. This is all a bit silly but there's a point. The Doctor overtly compares this to modern problems- you need to think two steps ahead and see you will die if you act on impulse. (Forget that it's a comparison that misses the point for now- the issue is collective action. Any individual can think ahead and try and fix things, but the collective decision making process of our species is what's lacking here.) The creature passes this test. It's smart enough to think ahead, unlike the humans of planet Earth.

Except that individual then dies in a fiery explosion. Dozens of these things are gunned down without comment. They are just monsters in the end.

Uncharacteristically the Doctor does not treat these creatures with any compassion she should have for victims. Nor the anger she'd have for beings that should know better. Nor the respect she'd have for animals just doing their thing. She comments that they're "alpha predators" that constantly adapt (whatever that means), and emphasizes that they are dangerous, but that's it. They're just obstacles and puzzles. Not people.

It's pretty poo poo, and undercuts any moral message at the end. Which sucks because it's a drat good message and I'm happy the Doctor blatantly said it into the camera, lest there be any misunderstanding... it just sucks that she said it at the end of this mess of an episode that demonstrates none of the reasons, ethical or practical, that make that message important.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
How was there a vending machine with “made in China” on it if the earth was horribly destroyed
Also yeah, awful episode.
On par with the kill the moon one

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

superLINUS posted:

Fear Her bad.

I don't think so. I mean, I didn't like it, but Fear Her is embarassingly bad, I feel bad just watching it that everyone had to be part of that. And it's not insultingly bad like Forest of the Night. It's just sort of uninspiringly bad, basically just absent of good more than anything else.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Raccoonboy posted:

How was there a vending machine with “made in China” on it if the earth was horribly destroyed
Also yeah, awful episode.
On par with the kill the moon one

Carbon dioxide doesn't break vending machines.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My god this was dreadful. I actually liked the opener episodes even if they were kind of messy, but good lord, I have zero faith in where this season is going now. It might not be the actual worst episode but it's at least in the loving top 5 for me. Actively hated watching it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/farfromallover/status/1217177351114625025

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God I know it'll probably never live up to the visuals in my mind, but I would love to have that full serial recovered.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I dunno, there were some fun lines, plus a callback to Two. This could've been salvageable if it wasn't for literally every character that isn't part of the main cast.

How many times has Earth been turned into an uninhabitable wasteland now? In how many different ways? It kind of seems like Earth finds a new way to eat poo poo as soon as the Doctor patches it up again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mr Beens posted:

Dregs.
Dregs of society.
The poor who couldn't get off planet.

Surprised they went with that for a name, it's pretty derogatory.

Named so by the rear end in a top hat rich people.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
dregrogatory

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That episode started at the climax and never stopped being at the climax. It was really weirdly paced. I guess they had so many good ideas for it they didn't have time for build up?

But what a bad 90s cartoon level message. Though I do like that they are trying to make monsters that are scary rather than dishrags on hooks or possessing people and making their noses weird looking. The monsters in this weren't that great but at least they tried.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

weren't that great but at least they tried.

I think that's a pretty good summary.

I could've made a better episode with some crayons and a can of Spam. :mad:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, if you want to have a moral about global warming, go for it, but PLEASE make sure your fists are not made of ham first. Having the Doctor reveal "climate change caused all of this!" five minutes before the closing credits is on the level of the twist in the Witchfinders for 'could've been brought to my attention yesterday'.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Carbon dioxide doesn't break vending machines.

Can confirm.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah that part made zero sense. We either needed to see him wounded, turning into one of them or the dregs using his tracker and faking his voice as a hunting method (they were smart enough to lay traps after all )

I also liked that he was on a planet with no breathable air and yet had been breathing A-OK for ~half an hour by then, and on that planet with no breathable air there were numerous ~*~moody fires~*~ burning in the tunnels.

I agree with the general consensus that there were the bones of 4-5 decent episodes in there, but none of the ideas got time to grow, and everything was just a huge loving jumbled mess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Der Shovel posted:

I also liked that he was on a planet with no breathable air and yet had been breathing A-OK for ~half an hour by then, and on that planet with no breathable air there were numerous ~*~moody fires~*~ burning in the tunnels.

Again, I think that was undercooked foreshadowing. Benni's 'thing' was basically that he was having trouble breathing, probably because even in the resort the oxygen levels are only borderline breathable. We learn later that the dregs produce oxygen, so Benni's probably handling pretty well right next to them. And meanwhile, Benny's giving them a clean-ish source of carbon dioxide to breathe as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Der Shovel posted:

I agree with the general consensus that there were the bones of 4-5 decent episodes in there, but none of the ideas got time to grow, and everything was just a huge loving jumbled mess.

They did say he had an oxygen tank with him

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh I must've missed that part.

Well it still doesn't explain the moody fires though, so I will continue to be upset about this mess of an episode.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Imagine if, instead of the Dregs being assholes for no really explicable reason (which, as Eiba pointed about, completely undermines the point that they're supposed to be the victims), they were attacking the spa for understandable reasons. Like someone suggested, maybe they see it as a potential resource for CO2, or maybe they're territorial and saw the spa as an invasion. Whatever. The spa employees and the Dregs are still hostile to each other, but it's clear that it's unjustified.Then we still get the scene with the cage, but restructure the story so it's Kane with the Doctor there, so that you've got leaders from both groups. And when the Doctor explains that she's created a perfect ecosystem we get this:

"Humans... what do you do better than adapt? Your species has evolved to thrive off of the pollution, the waste, the remains of what your ancestors left behind - what these people are still leaving behind. What we've created here is a perfect ecosystem - but imagine. What if that existed on a much wider scale. Imagine a society of humans and Dregs, working together to rebuild this planet with enough resources for everyone, each species living off the refuse of the other - no, off the dregs. A perfectly sustainable society. No pollution, no violence. Imagine what you could do if you worked together instead of being at each others throats all the time."

Then, when they go to leave, the Doctor doesn't lock the Dreg leader in. She leaves the cage unlocked in faith that he'll at least consider what she's said. And maybe she gets through and maybe she doesn't - maybe one of them attacks and the hostilities open up again. But at least the message of the episode would be somewhat coherent.

That's what's most upsetting about this episode, I think - it's similar to Love and Monsters in that you can see the core of a good idea in there, but the way the episode handles it makes it worse than if there was no message to the episode at all.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Watching The Three Doctors

Pertwee and Troughton have just psychically manifested a door and Troughton just skips through "Oh, it even opens! :3: "

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/wenbbilliams/status/1217478847098183683?s=20

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

I forgot about the important moral that we should always believe that a literal child is a better engineer than his father, the professional engineer, on basically no evidence.

In fairness to the episode, it was pretty obvious that dad has taken a lot of performance-decreasing drugs in his time.

marktheando posted:

I think so. I want to say that happens in Caves of Androzani. The main one I remember is 4 using it to survive being strangled by a mummy.

It's Four to Doomsday. And "useful in a tight squeeze."

Der Shovel posted:

Oh I must've missed that part.

Well it still doesn't explain the moody fires though, so I will continue to be upset about this mess of an episode.

Urg, I hate defending this episode, but we were told that was a dreg nest. We know the dregs produce oxygen. So a dreg nest is one of the few places where fires are likely. That still doesn't explain why they have burning things in their nests or why the burning was ongoing, unless there's some natural gas or some other constantly renewing fuel source. Maybe baby dr-eggs need the heat?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:eyepop:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

At least this episode gave me a reason to summarize the end of Love And Monsters for the s/o. I got to watch as blissful ignorance bloomed into bewilderment.

I know Chibnall didn't get the writer's credit on this one but it had all the pacing problems his Who stuff always has so I'm mentally laying this at his feet.

Ironic, I guess, that the closest we got to a scene with room to breathe was Yaz crashing Oxygen Tank Guy's attempted marriage proposal.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Eiba posted:

Except that individual then dies in a fiery explosion. Dozens of these things are gunned down without comment. They are just monsters in the end.

Uncharacteristically the Doctor does not treat these creatures with any compassion she should have for victims. Nor the anger she'd have for beings that should know better. Nor the respect she'd have for animals just doing their thing. She comments that they're "alpha predators" that constantly adapt (whatever that means), and emphasizes that they are dangerous, but that's it. They're just obstacles and puzzles. Not people.

really good point btw and thanks for posting it. Apparently one throwaway line from the Doctor about how "the natives don't want you here" was enough to trick me into not noticing how jarringly uncharacteristic that was.

Even worse than murdering the guy in — ugh — Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (might be misremembering the episode that happens in?)

juche avocado fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 16, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Narsham posted:

Urg, I hate defending this episode, but we were told that was a dreg nest. We know the dregs produce oxygen. So a dreg nest is one of the few places where fires are likely.

Yeah, but unless the dreg nest is a contained, sealed space, the oxygen isn't going to just hang around, it'll dissipate into the 0,2% oxygen atmosphere. And if it is a sealed, contained space, the Dregs would eventually produce enough oxygen to kill themselves.

I mean I know it's a stupid little nitpicky thing for me to focus on, but in a way I thought it was kind of emblematic for the entire episode, where they had a fairly neat premise and then just said "gently caress it" and chucked a billion things that didn't quite work together into a blender.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

juche avocado posted:

Even worse than murdering the guy in — ugh — Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (might be misremembering the episode that happens in?)

That guy had it coming.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1216698758869725184?s=20
https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1216731105891692544?s=20
https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1216832590507859970?s=20
https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1217458408896585728?s=20
https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1217751621163196416?s=20
https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1217755424964927488?s=20

And

https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1216383302229221377?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Roger Delgado just looks wrong out of a snazzy, well-fitted suit.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Late to the watching of this week's episode, and while I didn't hate it... They should figure out a glove Chibnall can wear which lights up green when a script rewrite hits a decent level of quality.

I mean, just to pick the part everyone rolled their eyes at most - the ending. Imagine if they'd had the Doctor wait till the TARDIS got back to Sheffield to give her speech about how the future can be changed and it's not too late to do something about it right now, while they walk through a crowded city center.

They could have called the episode "The End of the World", or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

“You lot, you spend all your time thinking about dying, like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take time to imagine the impossible, that maybe you survive.”