Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Is he bad? I can’t remember who’s blameworthy anymore.

He's an Arsenal center midfielder, they're all bad. Not to mention that he was so bad that Emery didn't think he was good enough for the current Arsenal midfield which is insanely bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

He's an Arsenal center midfielder, they're all bad. Not to mention that he was so bad that Emery didn't think he was good enough for the current Arsenal midfield which is insanely bad.

He’s not that bad, really. He’s very limited but is kind of useful as a utility player. I think he was frozen out because he was hilariously overpaid. He’s not so bad that he shouldn’t get any playing time with this awful Arsenal team.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I was wondering how the hell he wasn't playing but it looks like he's been out on loan in Turkey for a while. I'm sure Arsenal would be happy to get him off the books.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

blue footed boobie posted:

He’s not that bad, really. He’s very limited but is kind of useful as a utility player. I think he was frozen out because he was hilariously overpaid. He’s not so bad that he shouldn’t get any playing time with this awful Arsenal team.
I hadn’t heard that he was overpaid. Most likely he was loaned out because there are like four players ahead of him in the pecking order. Used to drop back into defense all the time to help out. None of the existing midfielders do it as frequently. It’s Emery’s own folly to not see a role for a player like him.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'd argue all the hilarious weak spots in Arsenal's team have been recent transfers. That hilarious back line minus Chambers/Bellerin who seem to be permanently injured in fine Arsenal tradition. Then of course there's Xhaka.

Holy poo poo Xhaka signed in 2016 :stare: Why is he still there?

*Hides Ashley Young behind a bin*

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bundy posted:

I'd argue all the hilarious weak spots in Arsenal's team have been recent transfers. That hilarious back line minus Chambers/Bellerin who seem to be permanently injured in fine Arsenal tradition. Then of course there's Xhaka.

Holy poo poo Xhaka signed in 2016 :stare: Why is he still there?

*Hides Ashley Young behind a bin*

The 15/16 and 16/17 summers were disastrous for Arsenal and set them back years. They only signed Cech in 15/16 and then blew a ton of money on Xhaka, Lucas Perez, and Mustafi the next year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The 15/16 and 16/17 summers were disastrous for Arsenal and set them back years. They only signed Cech in 15/16 and then blew a ton of money on Xhaka, Lucas Perez, and Mustafi the next year.

Is Bellerin the longest tenured Arsenal player at this point?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

Is Bellerin the longest tenured Arsenal player at this point?

Think it's Ozil

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's Emi Martinez, actually. Bellerin and Ozil are the next two.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Big Huski Boi posted:

Pretty sure you just made that name up right now

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

Maitland-Niles has been at the club since 2003... when he was six

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

Pretty sure you just made that name up right now

And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you dastardly kids!!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I can't believe that was 3-4 years ago already. Xhaka still feels like a comedy signing flailing about, to be shown the door the next window, or disappear quietly into the reserves. Imagine Xhaka and Mustafi outlasting Cech.

It's like no one is at the wheel at Arsenal and everyone assumes someone else has it. Arteta has his work cut out and I'm not sure this was a wise choice for his first soiree into management. That said, plenty of the media know what he's walked into so the worst I think he'll get slated for is being an idiot for taking the job.

I heard Steve Round is part of his coaching staff though and I can only say he didn't cover himself in glory during his and Moyes' time at Old Trafford, and I'm somewhat surprised given the vast difference in styles between a coach like Pep and Round. Something from their Everton days I guess. There was another face on the bench that I recognised from United's coach merry-go-round, couldn't put a name to him but he was definitely here either under Mourinho's time or van Gaal's. I'm not sure taking on a big rebuild/ship steadying/post long term manager project with a bunch of staff that failed at exactly that would be my first move.

e: Stuivenberg and it was from van Gaal's time. He's been enjoying success as *checks Wikipedia* Ryan Giggs' assistant at Wales. Oh.

Lol wtf Arsenal

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 28, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

It's like no one is at the wheel at Arsenal and everyone assumes someone else has it.

It is exactly that.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

It is exactly that.

Whereas with us the owner knows the chauffeur is pissed and doesn't have a license but they're too busy counting the money he found in a briefcase somewhere to notice the bollards he's smashing down on the hard shoulder. Currently a former employee-bystander has leapt into the vehicle and is trying to wrestle control from said pissed Ed and steer the car to safety. I am done murdering this metaphor.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Bundy posted:

Whereas with us the owner knows the chauffeur is pissed and doesn't have a license but they're too busy counting the money he found in a briefcase somewhere to notice the bollards he's smashing down on the hard shoulder. Currently a former employee-bystander has leapt into the vehicle and is trying to wrestle control from said pissed Ed and steer the car to safety. I am done murdering this metaphor.

Too bad Ed isn't done murdering Man Utd's squad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have to say Arsenal's strategy of "sell everything, don't replace them" is a bold one.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
It’s normal to try and clear out the deadwood.

Though in Arsenal’s case there won’t be any wood left at all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dervyn posted:

It’s normal to try and clear out the deadwood.

Though in Arsenal’s case there won’t be any wood left at all.

I would be fine with refocusing around the women's team

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Aren't they supposed to bring in Rabiot on loan?
Also I think selling two captains in one year (when Auba leaves in summer) is a new record for them

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You've got to assume Arteta has been given the rest of this season as a free hit. The defence and centre mid is atrocious and it's not being fixed in January.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Xhaka leaves (seems likely) they may actually let him buy someone in January.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

If Xhaka leaves (seems likely) they may actually let him buy someone in January.

I'm assuming you need at least one centre mid even with Xhaka. Who covers for him if he's say injured atm, Guendouzi? He looks like a red card waiting to happen as well.

Arsenal atm look like if you filled each bank of players with the worst examples of the Wenger comedy signings. It's a back four of Squilaccis, a midfield of Denilsons/Alex Songs and a front line of Chamakhs.

e: not to say none of the players are any better than the above, but because that's how they seem to be playing. Ozil is a world cup winner yet manages to look like Fred on his worst day most of the time.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Guendouzi would cover for Xhaka currently, yeah. I guess in theory we could get Rabiot on loan and then use the Xhaka money to buy a competent center back. But the Rabiot stuff very much sounds like agent talk to me.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This would be my worry as a fan, it's not just first choice players needed it's cover as well, in a number of positions.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Bundy posted:

This would be my worry as a fan, it's not just first choice players needed it's cover as well, in a number of positions.

Can't fix years of rot in a couple of windows, really need to burn it all down and start an actual rebuild instead of hoping that a few big names coming in will be a miracle cure.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Homura posted:

Can't fix years of rot in a couple of windows, really need to burn it all down and start an actual rebuild instead of hoping that a few big names coming in will be a miracle cure.

This is true but that rebuild is easier if we have more money, so there's value in focusing somewhat on the short term and trying to get back up into the European places, or somehow winning the Europa League.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal could have a pretty good squad with one excellent central midfield signing and two excellent defensive signings. The question is more whether the club is capable of making three signings like that, which they probably aren’t.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Another Man Utd target goes elsewhere. Haaland to Dortmund is a done deal

https://mobile.twitter.com/BVB/status/1211293640598937602

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

He's poo poo, no bottle, never wanted him anyway

:qq:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
So much for those Juve ITK reports, then

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The question is, do Manchester United really need Haaland when they've got *checks list* Mason Greenwood?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The question is, do Manchester United really need Haaland when they've got *checks list* Mason Greenwood?

Reports are Raiola wanted a buyout clause and % of fee which United flatly (and rightly imo) refused.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bundy posted:

Reports are Raiola wanted a buyout clause and % of fee which United flatly (and rightly imo) refused.

Surely that depends on what the buyout and % were

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
United probably would have been a poor fit for Haaland, he's the kind of striker that thrives alongside creative midfielders and wingers and lack of midfield creativity is United's biggest issue offensively atm. Additionally United has a lot of young strikers and while Greenwood is still absolutely too green (heyyyy), Rashford/Martial are still both looking very good and are still quite young. I'm not sure adding a 19yo, however promising, should be the priority.

Granted he's good in the air which United lack atm, but that's about the only place where the puzzle-piece fits.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

sourdough posted:

Surely that depends on what the buyout and % were

It’s Raiola so low on the first and astronomical on the second.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Cutrone was pulled from the Wolves match day squad at the last minute, a lot of speculation that he's about to finalize a move to Fiorentina

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I never had any hope for Haaland to begin with, United just don't attract the top young talents in Europe anymore, and anyone who thinks they do is just fooling themselves.

Meanwhile the Ed Woodward experience has started briefing the press that United are interested in Christian Eriksen, but want to wait until the summer to get him on a free. Which would be the most Woodward thing imaginable: let Eriksen go elsewhere to save a couple of million, while torpedoing United's season and throwing out potential CL and sponsor payments of over £100m.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why would eriksen go to man utd lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Eriksen’s current owner is Levy so you’re out of your mind if you think he can be had in the winter window for “a couple of million”