Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The talk at the moment is that Klopp is preparing for one full rebuild before the end of his contract in 2024. It is likely that one of Salah and Mané want to leave in the next year or two, neither are diehard reds and if they (particularly Salah) want to be global superstars unfortunately they're probably going to have to go through Real or Barca at some point. I don't think Minamino is necessarily a replacement for those two - though of course we have a track record of buying players for cheap and turning them into the best players in their positions - and if one of them do leave I think we'll see a big big transfer to replace them along the lines of Sancho or Mbappe.

James Pearce midweek said he thinks the midfield is the next area to invest in. Henderson and Wijnaldum are 29 and Milner is 33 so in four years time I very much doubt any of those three will still be here. If we're just taking the players we currently have Fabinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain are 26 whilst Keita is 24, so all else being equal those three will take the place of the older lot. We don't have too much coming through other than Curtis Jones in midfield so getting someone else in that 20-22 age range would be perfect. There was some rumours going around midweek that we had been asking about Kai Havertz but I suspect the rest of Europe is as well.

My main concern is the defence because we have zero good left backs at the club beyond Robertson and there's a gaping hole at center back. I would like to see us make a move for a young CB in January (even if we loan them back) to try and shore up that position for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

greazeball posted:

Robertson's more the exception than the rule for that position though, he's the first good player we've had there since Riise. Aurelio, Konchesky, Moreno, Insua, Dossena, Cissokho... Enrique was OK for a bit I guess, but the others were just not.

Yeah left back is a massive problem for basically every team because there's so few about. I dunno, we might be able to turn Larouci or one of the other kids into a good left back - maybe try doing what we did with Trent on the other side.

oliwan posted:

I agree, you can't really be a superstar playing for Liverpool

As ever, gently caress off oliwan.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

CyberPingu posted:

A few years ago I'd agree that Liverpool weren't a huge global club but now they are consistently doing well in the League and CL I don't see why players would go to Barca or Real tbh

Sadly if you really want to be a global superstar I think you still need to be in one of those two clubs. I don't even think United at their pomp would have been a bigger draw than the Spanish teams.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Brony Car posted:

With regard to the CB spots, I've read that Klopp and Co. have high hopes for Ki-Jana Hoever. Hopefully Van Der Berg develops well too.

If TAA makes the prophesized move into midfield, then Hoever is perfect to replace him at RB. I'm not sure he's playing much at CB in the unders at the moment.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shrapnig posted:

TAA is not a right back, the only reason he’s there is his pace and work rate, which bails him out of his many defensive frailties, and his incredible crossing ability from the right

He's a right back in Klopp's current system, which requires the full backs to get forward as much as possible rather than defend which is usually covered by the midfielders.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

sassassin looks like you're getting Brewster on loan for the rest of the season. Do you think he'll play? The kid needs as much game time as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

tarbrush posted:

We have a few decent players. TAA is pretty good, Curtis Jones is good, KiJana Hoever is promising.

Apart from that though, yeah, bit crap

Unfortunately our youth setup went through the best part of a decade of mismanagement, in which time Everton, United, and City all massively increased theirs. We're just now in the position to start poaching players back from City, but within Liverpool it's going to take many more years.