Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

greazeball posted:

I love Mo but Mané is the one everyone's sniffing around these days and his clutch stats this season have been off the charts

Minamino looks more like a Firmino replacement anyway

The player isn't important, more the principle that there may well be a lot of replacing £100m players with £10m players coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

pik_d posted:

That doesn't seem like a good plan for continuing to push for titles.

Yes. That's my point.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
And Barcelona is probably a top 5 city to live in whilst insanely loaded.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

sticksy posted:

All of them
"Them" being the female population of the Netherlands

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Brony Car posted:

If only they won that stupid final. :(

That gif would lose all of its hilarity and pathos

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Shrapnig posted:

Liverpool's youth setup is dogshit, I wouldn't trust any player coming out of it.

We have a few decent players. TAA is pretty good, Curtis Jones is good, KiJana Hoever is promising.

Apart from that though, yeah, bit crap

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Shrapnig posted:

Ah yes, the latter two who I've definitely heard of.

Remember James Wilson at Manchester United who was touted as the next great English striker, scored twice on his debut, and is now playing for loving Aberdeen? Of course you don't. How about Saidy Janko, former United Reserve Player of the Year? "Good" and "promising" means gently caress all at the youth/reserve level.

Liverpool's strength the past several years has been in the transfer market. They're probably the best in the world at finding players who immediately slot into their system. Other than 15/16 where they signed Clyne, Ings, Benteke, and of course Steven Caulker on loan which was so bizarre. That season also got them Milner and Firmino however.

I'm agreeing with you, one massive success, two vaguely promising types and lots of fleecing Bournemouth is not a good youth setup.

I'll be sad if Brewster is washed, but that many knee injuries so young is really hard to power through

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Oh yeah. I think I'd mentally sold him to Bournemouth already

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

A giant money sink that only looks good at a glance?

Yep sounds about right.

Dammit, beaten

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1214210841538641922?s=19

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
It's possible that they consider CL qualification a lost cause, so why chuck good money after bad?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
He was supposed to be amazing, but could never get a work permit and stagnated due to playing in basically every league ever created

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51142447

Someone is paying cash money for Ashley Young in tyool 2020. I take back everything I have ever said about Ed Woodward.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I've seen a few articles over the past six months saying how Odegaard has basically reconstituted himself as a potentially great footballer, given that he's still only 21. Moving to Madrid clearly hosed him up a bit, but any 16-18 prospect is going to have plateaus, and he seems to have come out of his.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

sticksy posted:

Long but interesting article in The Athletic today about how players handle transfers, whether agitating for move, having an honest discussion with a manager about your career or being beholden to the ego of a billionaire owner. I can c&p the whole thing or share a PDF if anyone wants to read it but this part in particular made me :lol:

I'd read that if you're offering please

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
The alternative of paying sporting everything they were asking for a month later is equally hilarious

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
In small fairness to him, that was probably true twenty years ago in the PL, and ten years ago in the Championship.

And oddly I wouldn't on first thought have expected the various vanity/sportswashing owners like Leicester, City and Chelsea to be particularly shrewd, but the clearly are

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
True

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Bogan Krkic posted:

This is unexpected, is he any good?

He's linked with West Ham.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
He truly is the gift that keeps on giving.

This can only get better if Fernandes turns up two stone overweight with a twenty a day habit.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Not quite sure why he want to go straight back to the championship...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Good for them that they were prepared to pay for him, good for him holding out for a good club

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I'd settle for more random sex toys being thrown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
He was actually good at one point. Maybe not "as good as Man U think they are" good, but still pretty good.