Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

CyberPingu posted:

A few years ago I'd agree that Liverpool weren't a huge global club but now they are consistently doing well in the League and CL I don't see why players would go to Barca or Real tbh

Never visited Liverpool, I take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just to illustrate the vast chasm between how Major League Baseball works and how Premier League soccer works, here are the Boston Red Sox's records the past nine years.

2011: 90-72 (3rd place out of 5 teams in their divison)
2012: 69-93 (last)
2013: 97-65 (1st, won the World Series)
2014: 71-91 (last)
2015: 78-84 (last)
2016: 93-69 (1st)
2017: 93-69 (1st)
2018: 108-54 (1st, won World Series)
2019: 84-78 (3rd)

That kind of yo-yoing is impossible in soccer, because in baseball your best players don't all demand to be traded when you don't qualify for the playoffs, and also because any player you develop yourself you have total control over, basically for free, for 5-6 years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Eriksen’s current owner is Levy so you’re out of your mind if you think he can be had in the winter window for “a couple of million”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

He'll be out of contract in the summer and apparently isn't interested in a new contract, so even Levy isn't going to be demanding insane amounts for him. I'm sure he won't move for free, but compared to the potential loss of revenue United will face if they don't get into the Champions League next season (and without any kind of decent number 10 that's not very likely) it would be negligent to not strengthen the team. Doubly so if the rumours are true that Jose wants Matic at Spurs.

All of this is true except the part about Levy not demanding insane amounts.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Never change, Italy :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol, yeah come to think of it how exactly does an American sue a Chinese conglomerate (so, basically, the Chinese government) in an Italian court

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's going to be hilarious for everyone except Fernandes when he does his knee on the 29th

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How was it different from the behavior of pretty much every player that wants a transfer?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Pretty sure Spurs wouldn’t want to sell to a Europa league rival

lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I wonder what favor/payoff Barca's people are getting for pretending to be interested to force Woodward to cave

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

vyelkin posted:

watch Fernandes now reject the move because he wants to go to Barca

His wage demand probably just went up, but I'm sure world famous ultra negotiator Ed Woodward can deal with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Good for them that they were prepared to pay for him, good for him holding out for a good club

Making a splashy bid on a player they know they can’t sign is so Newcastle. “Look, we’re TRYING to spend money! Honest!”