Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

C:\>YOURPOST.EXE
ERROR: 0x0BAD
Abort, Retry, Fail?:ovr:
Countries often have weird takes on food that originated elsewhere, such as the classic "white people Chinese food" thing that America has going on.

But other countries do this to American food as well.

Some entries from Europe:

I'm reasonably certain this is offensive to at least 3 separate groups of Americans

Love me some pizza hotdog burgers

In lots of Europe, you can not buy what Americans call "Hot Dogs" in anything but canned form. I find the idea of a canned Hot Dog deeply disturbing.

Scandinavia gets special mention for their hosed up ideas about pizza.

Banana pizza is quite popular in Sweden

In denmark they have something popular called Sallatpizza, which is basicly a whole gyro/doner kebab on a pizza, including the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and dressing

In sweden they have something called Pizzasallat, which is basically coleslaw, but they put it ON the pizza when you eat it, all orders of pizza in Sweden come with pizzasallat.

What other hosed up examples of food that is supposedly American do you know of? I know japan has some great examples of mutations of American dishes, but I'm uncertain what to search for.

Necrofiliate fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Dr. Oetker makes hella good frozen pizzas actually. Idk what the gently caress that abomination you have pictured is though.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
You'd need a PhD in snackology to engineer a pizza hot dog burger.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That saladpizza has been getting popular in Germany too recently.

There is also the classic Hawaitoast, which is pineapple pizza without pizza:

There is also euro-chili. Where you take a traditional goulash and add red beans and a hint of chili.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Also, do you count food that is called an American? This is an Amerikaner:

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

Thats weird looking but i bet its good, I might try it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is an Americano a popular coffee drink around the world? It's called Long Black in Australia. Because I don't know any Americans that drink it.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So wait, just to confirm, those hot dogs in a can are just the wieners and not the buns/condiments as pictured, correct?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
As an American, I enjoy crazy food blasphemies done in our name. We certainly deserve it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mu Zeta posted:

Is an Americano a popular coffee drink around the world? It's called Long Black in Australia. Because I don't know any Americans that drink it.
yes, kind of. In some countries (I only know italy for sure) drip coffee wasnt a thing. I assume this is changing a bit as starbucks and pret a manger take over the world but there was a time you couldnt get drip coffee even if you were lookin for it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 23, 2019

Dr. Klenk
May 24, 2016

Necrofiliate posted:

Countries often have weird takes on food that originated elsewhere, such as the classic "white people Chinese food" thing that America has going on.

But other countries do this to American food as well.

Some entries from Europe:

I'm reasonably certain this is offensive to at least 3 separate groups of Americans

Love me some pizza hotdog burgers

In lots of Europe, you can not buy what Americans call "Hot Dogs" in anything but canned form. I find the idea of a canned Hot Dog deeply disturbing.

Scandinavia gets special mention for their hosed up ideas about pizza.

Banana pizza is quite popular in Sweden

In denmark they have something popular called Sallatpizza, which is basicly a whole gyro/doner kebab on a pizza, including the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and dressing

In sweden they have something called Pizzasallat, which is basically coleslaw, but they put it ON the pizza when you eat it, all orders of pizza in Sweden come with pizzasallat.

What other hosed up examples of food that is supposedly American do you know of? I know japan has some great examples of mutations of American dishes, but I'm uncertain what to search for.

Not sure what Swedish takes on pizza have to do with this topic though, since American-style Pizza is already a pretty weird take on actual Italian pizza. Hence most european versions of American style pizza are even worse.

Are those complete hot dogs with bread and everything? Real Frankfurter sausages are always sold in jars or, in some cases, bottles. As a German, most "Frankfurt" style sausages sold in other european countries are pretty much inedible. I have enjoyed hot dogs in the US though. How are the sausages usually sold in US supermarkets?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Klenk posted:

Not sure what Swedish takes on pizza have to do with this topic though, since American-style Pizza is already a pretty weird take on actual Italian pizza. Hence most european versions of American style pizza are even worse.

Are those complete hot dogs with bread and everything? Real Frankfurter sausages are always sold in jars or, in some cases, bottles. As a German, most "Frankfurt" style sausages sold in other european countries are pretty much inedible. I have enjoyed hot dogs in the US though. How are the sausages usually sold in US supermarkets?

Typically they come in clear, soft plastic packages, similar to what you would (at least here) purchase a cheese in. You can also find them in cans, typically sold under the name "Vienna Sausages." They're the same thing, though. I think if that hot dog in a can thing didn't have the graphics of the bun and was called Vienna Sausage, Americans wouldn't find it unusual.

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

Typically they come in clear, soft plastic packages, similar to what you would (at least here) purchase a cheese in. You can also find them in cans, typically sold under the name "Vienna Sausages." They're the same thing, though. I think if that hot dog in a can thing didn't have the graphics of the bun and was called Vienna Sausage, Americans wouldn't find it unusual.

Vienna Sausages aren't hot dogs, they are similar, but they have a pretty different texture and spicing.

They also really aren't that common in the USA either.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Necrofiliate posted:

Vienna Sausages aren't hot dogs, they are similar, but they have a pretty different texture and spicing.

They also really aren't that common in the USA either.

I will freely admit that I haven't eaten a Vienna Sausage in at least 15 years. However, I would also say that something like a Hebrew National hot dog in no way resembles a Bar S Frank in terms of texture or spicing, and that a Bar S Frank (or other cheap hot dog) far more closely resembles a Vienna Sausage. In terms of texture, it seems like you really have two variables - the filling and the casing. A cheap hot dog and a Vienna Sausage both have the meat puree texture, while higher end hot dogs often have a coarser ground more closely resembling typical sausage. The Vienna Sausage has a very thin casing, while a lot of hot dogs have maybe a bit more of a snap to their casing. I wouldn't say that I have ever noticed much spicing of any sort in a typical low end hot dog or Vienna Sausage.

Anyway, a wiener in a can isn't that inherently weird, even as an American. Like yeah, it's not as if we're all gobbling down Vienna Sausages, but every non-ethnic American grocery store carries them and we all pretty much know what they are. The real weirdness of the ones pictured in the OP are the packaging presentation, which makes one stop and wonder if those crazy Europeans actually put bun-on hot dogs in a can.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Sometimes the cheap garbage hot dog is the hot dog you want. Grill 'em on charcoal and they become quite worthy in their own right.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
It's american in that it has the name of a state on it.

But... what is it?

(From Finland)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

gegi posted:

But... what is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNnKqr9KbM0

I think this will clear up any questions that you might have.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

gegi posted:

But... what is it?

(From Finland)

Looks pretty Arizona to me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the gyro pizza looks good i wonder if i can find one here in the good ol usa

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It reminds me of a taco pizza here in the dreary midwest, which is a thin crust pizza with refried beans in place of sauce, taco-spiced ground beef, and cheese. Topped after baking with diced tomato, shredded lettuce, and then a layer of crushed tortilla chips.

Necrofiliate
Apr 3, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

just order a cheese pizza at a greek, lebonese or turkish place and ask them to put gyro/kebab meat on it, thats all they are

And they are very nice!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mu Zeta posted:

It's very popular all across East Asia. I've never seen or heard of it in the US.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's beautiful. Like a Monte Cristo hot dog.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Necrofiliate posted:

VictualSquid posted:

That saladpizza has been getting popular in Germany too recently.

It sounds pretty good.
Actually, it reminds me of lahmacun (aka Turkish pizza).

On topic:
the only American foods I can think of that they sell over here, are things the Americans made their own weird versions of, like pizza and sushi.
I've never seen a corndog in real life though, and I'm pretty curious.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

litany of gulps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNnKqr9KbM0

I think this will clear up any questions that you might have.

okay is that snuuuurrrrrrkkkk sound he makes several times a word or is he doing farmer blows or what?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Suspect Bucket posted:

As an American, I enjoy crazy food blasphemies done in our name. We certainly deserve it.

Yes especially in the Midwest as far as I'm concerned - Wisconsin "goulash", wtf.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

paraquat posted:

I've never seen a corndog in real life though, and I'm pretty curious.

Theyre actually pretty good OP

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Theyre actually pretty good OP

I mean, it's essentially a sausage dipped in cornmeal batter and deep fried; what's not to like?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You can absolutely find them all over the place in Canada, so I'd assume you can find one in the US.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
No pics as it's been over a year since I've been there, but 90% of potato chips in Switzerland are paprika-flavored. Good, but I think they were somehow even more sweet than I, an American who eats entirely too many sweets, am used to in a tater chip.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flail Snail posted:

No pics as it's been over a year since I've been there, but 90% of potato chips in Switzerland are paprika-flavored. Good, but I think they were somehow even more sweet than I, an American who eats entirely too many sweets, am used to in a tater chip.

Sounds like Barbeque chips, which are good but usually too sweet for me. Need more smoke flavor and vinegar.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ngl, Sallatpizza and Pizzasallat sound pretty good, and I'm going to do what I can to get my hands on them in the states.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've had coleslaw on a pizza, and while it was a loving awful pizza, the coleslaw was the one bit of it that wasn't a loving terrible idea.

Pork belly that is not well-rendered, and chipotle mayonnaise, do not belong on a pizza, it was so gross and greasy and heavy...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

PT6A posted:

I've had coleslaw on a pizza, and while it was a loving awful pizza, the coleslaw was the one bit of it that wasn't a loving terrible idea.

Pork belly that is not well-rendered, and chipotle mayonnaise, do not belong on a pizza, it was so gross and greasy and heavy...

Coleslaw and fried chicken is a delight on pizza.

Nothing saves bad pizza though

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 29, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't put mayonnaise on anything

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh, I know the (alleged) lore behind this.

American GIs based in Italy in WW2 didn't like the strength of espressos, so would ask for added hot water to make a type of coffee they were more used to, thus we get 'Americano'. Term spread from there.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm Vietnamese-American, and my parents would occasionally make "American fried rice" which is just your typical southeast Asian fried rice, with ketchup mixed in while frying and chopped up fried hotdogs and spam.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm Vietnamese-American, and my parents would occasionally make "American fried rice" which is just your typical southeast Asian fried rice, with ketchup mixed in while frying and chopped up fried hotdogs and spam.

That's probably not horrifying but I am skeptical of ketchup in anything but a barbecue sauce recipe.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Resting Lich Face posted:

That's probably not horrifying but I am skeptical of ketchup in anything but a barbecue sauce recipe.

Omurice is super good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Americano

Ingredients

1 1/2 ounces Campari
1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth
3 ounces soda water (or club soda, as needed to fill the glass)
Garnish: ​lemon twist or orange slice

Now thats wogs.

Italiano poo poo.

(im italian so its ok, i can say wog)