Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I don't know, I think it's kind of a cool name. :shrug:

Book just makes everyone think people named Ahab are all...uh...Ahabian. Maybe there is a nice person named Ahab. Did you ever think of that? Probably not because you don't think as amazing thoughts as I think. Like, it's a guy named Ahab but he's a nurse during the day volunteers at the animal shelter at night. Think about that. I know, it's like :boom:. How many of you are named Ahab? I bet not loving one. Not a gently caress one of you. Think about that for second too. :boom::boom:. Think that's a coincidence? What a loving laugh. A farce. Folly.

So, thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I mean he was a huge rear end in a top hat and got a bunch of people killed just because he lost his leg to some dumb whale like a bitch. Then he tried to kill it and the whale kicked his rear end again and he drowned.

PRET-TY LAME

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Call me Ishmael, Bitch.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Best Names:

Nebuchadnezzar
Tiberius
Quanterius
Zane
Xerxes
Nefertiti
Sir Chauncey Percival Higgenswallow, ESQ

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
You got something there OP. Quint wasn't even named Ahab now that I think about it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Captain Peleg says the name was "a foolish, ignorant whim of his crazy, widowed mother" so it probably wasn't a super popular name before the book, either

but now I'm tripping because Peleg, Deer, and Boomer go by their last names, so why tf is Ahab out there calling himself the equivalent of Captain Jeff? dork.

then I realized Ishmael is only given a first name too
unless his marriage to Queequeg is binding
but I don't think Queequeg had a last name either

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cubone posted:

but now I'm tripping because Peleg, Deer, and Boomer go by their last names, so why tf is Ahab out there calling himself the equivalent of Captain Jeff? dork.

Should've gone for the equivalent of Captain Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bb_w7nOBwg

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
melville? more like melvin

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The_Continental posted:

Best Names:

Nebuchadnezzar
Tiberius
Quanterius
Zane
Xerxes
Nefertiti

Nefertiti she a sweetie suck my balls till my peepee skeetie

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

Cubone posted:

Captain Peleg says the name was "a foolish, ignorant whim of his crazy, widowed mother" so it probably wasn't a super popular name before the book, either

then I realized Ishmael is only given a first name too
unless his marriage to Queequeg is binding
but I don't think Queequeg had a last name either

Ishmael is not his real name. In fact, the text supports a reading where the entire plot is made up by a drunk deckhand who thinks whales are fish.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The_Continental posted:

Best Names:

Nebuchadnezzar
Tiberius
Quanterius
Zane
Xerxes
Nefertiti

Balthazar
Mephistopheles

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my sons name is God

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

terminal chillness posted:

Ishmael is not his real name. In fact, the text supports a reading where the entire plot is made up by a drunk deckhand who thinks whales are fish.
that's stupid

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

cnut
May 3, 2016

SUCK MY drat DILZ is underutilized because SUCK MY drat DILZ!!!!!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
All heteros are bastards

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cnut posted:

SUCK MY drat DILZ is underutilized because SUCK MY drat DILZ!!!!!

Looooool you tell em you loving tell em!! I'm pissed off!!

cnut
May 3, 2016

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Looooool you tell em you loving tell em!! I'm pissed off!!

You and me both, buddy!!!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Call me cis-male

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
i blame ray stevens

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

My son Curtbee Magshunp saw Hell when he was 4 years old

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There may be another reason the name isn't popular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou57_ZjqNMs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A very cursed video.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I think is more because of Ahab Hitler.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

His real name isn't much better: Colton Burpo.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Call me, Ishmael! ;)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

is THIS all because of a holdhup on bodies? Because I SWEAR

Not a Duck
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not a duck.
Ahab.

*sticks thumbs out like the Fonz*

Ayyy-hab...!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
III get sea sick 20 minutes in; still get entangled in other fishermen's lines.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

terminal chillness posted:

Call me Ishmael, Bitch.

MGSV's dialogue is v underrated imo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Looking to get salty with the sperm whales? Try Ahab, a hook up app for plus sized gentlemen.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Squeeze! squeeze! squeeze! all the morning long; I squeezed that sperm till I myself almost melted into it; I squeezed that sperm till a strange sort of insanity came over me; and I found myself unwittingly squeezing my co-laborers’ hands in it, mistaking their hands for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually squeezing their hands, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally; as much as to say,- Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill-humor or envy! Come; let us squeeze hands all round; nay, let us all squeeze ourselves into each other; let us squeeze ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Literally A Person posted:

I don't know, I think it's kind of a cool name. :shrug:

Book just makes everyone think people named Ahab are all...uh...Ahabian. Maybe there is a nice person named Ahab. Did you ever think of that? Probably not because you don't think as amazing thoughts as I think. Like, it's a guy named Ahab but he's a nurse during the day volunteers at the animal shelter at night. Think about that. I know, it's like :boom:. How many of you are named Ahab? I bet not loving one. Not a gently caress one of you. Think about that for second too. :boom::boom:. Think that's a coincidence? What a loving laugh. A farce. Folly.

So, thoughts?

Ahab is a biblical name and in the bible its name of a wicked king of Israel who along with his wife Jezebel abandons the worship of YHWH and institutes the government-supported worship of the pagan Gods Ba'al and Asherah and persecuting all of the Israelite prophets and priests during his reign. In the book itself, its actually pointed out by several characters that this is one of the weirdest names you could give someone because anyone familiar enough with the Bible to know the name Ahab would be someone religious enough to not name a child after him.

So no, its probably because of the Bible itself instead of Moby Dick

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
It's a guy named Ahab but he helps elderly people regain their independence and live a complete and fulfilling life.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Ahab is a biblical name and in the bible its name of a wicked king of Israel who along with his wife Jezebel abandons the worship of YHWH and institutes the government-supported worship of the pagan Gods Ba'al and Asherah and persecuting all of the Israelite prophets and priests during his reign. In the book itself, its actually pointed out by several characters that this is one of the weirdest names you could give someone because anyone familiar enough with the Bible to know the name Ahab would be someone religious enough to not name a child after him.

So no, its probably because of the Bible itself instead of Moby Dick

A wise guy, eh?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ahab is a metaphor for mans attempt to dominate nature.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

In Moby Dick there's a chapter where they go see a church service specifically for whalers that because they're usually at sea most of them can only go to once a year when they're back in Nantucket. The preacher is a former whaler comes out and gives his sermon on... Jonah and the whale. Does it ever loving stop with the whales for these guys.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Slam whale Ahab fail

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I'm a literal preacher and I've only read one book of the Bible. Luckily its the one with whales so its the only one that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
The cetacean chapters could have benefited from more Ahab.