Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
late last night, forums poster Benghazi 2, also known as dickeye, was probated for a month for the following post:

Benghazi 2 posted:

quote:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:
So far I haven't seen any facts proving he's lying. All I've seen in this thread are assumptions based on his profession and an unsourced declaration that he lives in a house worth several million dollars. I suppose it's possible that WaPo didn't confirm his net worth before printing his article.

If you genuinely think the VP at Kaiser Permanente is a swell dude who just wants the best for us and we should trust him you should probably not be trusted with even the meager amount of authority granted to you as a mod

Which we knew a while ago but hey

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Though Main Painframe later reduced the sentence to 2 weeks, even that length seems grossly disproportionate. Like, come on, sure she insults beer4thebeergod, but the insult is incredibly mild. how on earth is this worthy of multiple weeks? If you really want to smack her down for this style of posting, a 3 day stay in kitty jail is more than sufficient for such a purpose!

Moreover, the primary thread was closed after the posters native to that thread complained about the injustice of this sentence. Exacerbated by the ongoing closure of QCS, posters would not be remiss to assume certain moderators are attempting to silence any opposition to their decisions. Or at the least, they don't care enough about the opinions of the posters to engage in a dialogue.

This is a really bad look. i understand the tendency to just not want to deal with the cacophony of voices of the hoi polloi, but the manner in which you carried out this heavy-handed punishment is pretty egregious. Right now, there's an impression fomenting that the mods don't give a poo poo about the opinions of the posters (and thats not even getting into the simmering embers of the cspam/dnd war), but reducing benghazi 2's probation to 3 days would be a gesture of good will.

e:
a list of reasonable demands submitted by forums poster unwantedplatypus

1) Un-probate Benghazi 2

2) Re-open QCS

3) Give C-spam it’s own mods

1 can be accomplished summarily, 2 and 3 doubtlessly require some backend, but a willingness to show that you're engaged in them would go a long way

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
If it was worth anything (it wasn’t) a sixer would have sufficed.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I agree wholeheartedly.

While I should say she should have made fun of him for becoming a mod because he spend thousands on spaceship JPGs and then got a chargeback, she did not know to do so, and she should get a pass.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
As a completely unrelated demand, I submit the following lore:

redneck nazgul posted:

Out of duty, she turned her back on her own comrades. A lesser woman would have been crushed by such a burden. The taint of disgrace will follow her to her grave. Future generations will revile her: In C-SPAM, as a despicable traitor with no sense of honor; and in D&D, as a monster who unleashed a moderator catastrophe. She will go down in the PYF greatest saga thread as a war criminal, and no one will ever understand her... that was her final mission. And like a true poster, she saw it through the end. But I think she wanted you, of all people to know the truth. She wanted to live on in your memory. Not as a poster but as a woman. But... she was forbidden to tell you herself. And that's why she told me. LG, history will never know what she did. No one will ever learn the truth. Her story, her probationing... will endure only in your heart. Everything she did, she did for her forum. She sacrificed her account and her honor for her native forum. She was a real hero. She was a true poster.

and propose her username be changed to Big Benghazi

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Free Dickeye, she did nothing wrong.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Beer4TheBeerGod seems like a bit of a tool.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Will calling people psychopath be probateable going forward?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

Free Dickeye, she did nothing wrong.

No, no, having the back of a mod who couldn't be trusted to interact with the lgbt and minority posters in their subforum is definitely a good call that has absolutely never backfired on the Something Awful forums.

Rescind this stupid-rear end probation.

eric ciaramella posted:

Will calling people psychopath be probateable going forward?

fun fact the word has been used 481 times prior in this forum with no issue until, conveniently, today when it was directed at the wrong person

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 23, 2019

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, mods are fuckin up...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
let this be a lesson: do NOT call the What About The Straight White People mod a blinkered dipshit in d+d! this is not productive or useful, unlike the day's third commentary-free copy-paste of the last thing ppj saw on Twitter.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
zp could you turn the snark down by like 50%? this thread was submitted in good faith

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
A 14 day probation for making fun of a tool who spent hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on Star Citizen scam spaceships and believes billionaires when they insist that they're not billionaires is absolutely ridiculous. Also that concern troll post about using the word psychopath was so blatant that it's kind of hilarious.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 23, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

nah it's cool they retconned it to *checks notes* "has a history of [repeated probations for] being rude in D&D"

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
It's one of the more blatant abuses of mod power I've seen. Expect it to get worse as long as QCS is closed, that sub serves as a vital check on the mods.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

nobody wants d&d to become c-spam, we already have a c-spam and people are welcome to post there; hopefully the sentiment is mutual.

instead, d&d should have moderation applied evenly across the board while maintaining poster's ability to call out people who are either terminally dumb or being assholes. applying moderation haphazardly makes the mods look blatantly partisan at best and incompetent at worst.

i can't say i follow the various country politics threads, but the majority of the button pushing from those threads seems to be fair and equitable. i don't understand how USPOL and the democratic primary threads end up having an adversarial bent to the moderation. maybe that could be solved by not being actively hostile to the userbase?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's clear that Beer4TheBeerGod is far too thin-skinned and hostile to be an effective mod.

What I'd like to know is if Beer4TheBeerGod has some sort of problem with trans people, or at least the "uppity" trans people that don't pay him the respect he feels he deserves as a straight white man and a somethingawful.com moderator.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm cisgender heterosexual white American male.

gently caress you for telling me what "my part" is. I'm telling you how you're coming off, which is hostile in an environment that's about as friendly as there is. Bitching that people are "pretending" to be inclusive or giving them poo poo over "trying" is counterproductive. It sounds to me like you would rather people not even try.

EDIT: I apologize for making this post; it was wrong on every possible level. I should never have said it, and under no circumstances is this behavior appropriate or acceptable.

(also just lol at calling the forums where about nine dozen people just got banned/probed for being being unbelievably racist and transphobic "an environment that's about as friendly as there is." Talk about bad judgement!)

I don't bring this up lightly but maybe the person who has a documented history of getting mindbendingly angry at trans posters and then lashing out at them just because they offer the mildest possible criticism shouldn't be a mod. If Dickeye's posting history is the justification for their probe, then surely Beer4TheBeerGod's posting history should be examined and taken into account as well.

Also, just imagine the StarCitizen fan (who has "opinions" about the all-female warhammer army) sputtering with rage while he sits there angrily typing out "I'm a cisgender heterosexual white American male" like, just imagine that in your mind lmao.

Free Dickeye.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 23, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

redneck nazgul posted:

nobody wants d&d to become c-spam, we already have a c-spam and people are welcome to post there; hopefully the sentiment is mutual.

it's not, and ppj consistently being a power tripping dipshit who cares more about kissing boots than keeping threads good is one of the reasons for that

free benghazi 2

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
Dickeye never posts anything informative or interesting. She just angrily lashes out at people, often in a stupid way that looks like she doesn't understand the position of the person they're attacking. This happens a lot in the primary thread and it's good that people are probated for it. Maybe the probation could be rescinded, on the condition she keeps that sort of posting in C-Spam.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Constantly protecting the mod with a history of lashing out at trans people right after making a huge sitewide pledge to listen and support the LGBT+ community is an almost impossibly bad look. Beer clearly is way too thin skinned to be a mod (even glossing over the "dumb enough to spend hundreds of dollars on jpgs of spaceships" angle) and I honestly don't know why it's so important he be given chance after chance. Especially coming in with extremely weak rear end "just asking questions" posting defending known shitbird Pete Buttigieg (a figure reviled in the LGBT+ community). Like come the gently caress on Kaiser made like $80 billion dollars in revenue last year and Beer just blindly believes that the vice president of the company isn't a millionaire? I mean he went for pages with this nonsense (while also carefully sidestepping what he actually believes or why he was defending The Wine Cave so vociferously).

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

fart_man_69 posted:

Dickeye never posts anything informative or interesting. She just angrily lashes out at people, often in a stupid way that looks like she doesn't understand the position of the person they're attacking.

checking the last page and a half of her posts, it seems to be entirely "lashing out" at people who say profoundly stupid poo poo like arguing that bloomberg can win it or debating if there's an age cutoff to knowing who alfred e neumann is

if there's a quality standard, probing people for being dumb as hell would be the first place to do some pruning so people mad at people for being dumb as hell don't have anything to be mad at anymore

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

fart_man_69 posted:

Dickeye never posts anything informative or interesting. She just angrily lashes out at people, often in a stupid way that looks like she doesn't understand the position of the person they're attacking. This happens a lot in the primary thread and it's good that people are probated for it. Maybe the probation could be rescinded, on the condition she keeps that sort of posting in C-Spam.

Reflexive disdain is proper response to someone defending a paid dinner with a Kaiser VP

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Wait, does Beer4TheBeerGod honestly believe that VP at Kaiser has everybodies best intentions at heart? He does realize he works for a medical insurance company, pretty much one of the chief culprits in the lovely state of American healthcare.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, does Beer4TheBeerGod honestly believe that VP at Kaiser has everybodies best intentions at heart? He does realize he works for a medical insurance company, pretty much one of the chief culprits in the lovely state of American healthcare.

happy holidays CommieGIR

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mormonpartyboat posted:

happy holidays CommieGIR

And to you!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
solidarity with Dickeye, the shitposters guild of C-SPAM stands with this mediocre subforum in these trying times.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
I am not a ben ghazi 2 fan, but PPJ is basically a chibi version of the genocide admin and should be dealt with the same way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

zp could you turn the snark down by like 50%? this thread was submitted in good faith

snark appears to be the distinction between something that earns you a months vacation and something that contributes to the forums experience. as confrontational poo poo from dickeye goes that particular post was remarkably sedate, well-reasoned, and polite.

from this I derive that blunt statement of opposition and your reasons for that opposition is a tone PPJ would prefer to see less of, in favor of more obtuse sniping at one another. because very seriously, if the problem was being a jerk to people, he picked the worst possible dickeye post to demonstrate that.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If it was a sixxer for mod sass, I don't think anyone would be in here. But two weeks for someone calling out a defense of one of the most evil industries in America? Really? Right when QCS is closed? "Happy Holidays" indeed. Hot drat is moderation in general down the tubes on this site right now.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
The official "apology" and shortening the probation from a month to two weeks are both so incredibly insulting/ make it clear that the mods fundamentally refuse to understand what the real problem in this situation is. Trying to retcon the probation as a massive e overreaction to nebulous shitposting rather than a mod having a complete meltdown over a poster disagreeing with them is embarrassingly childish.

This forum/community really does have the potential to be great- except that its controlled by a bunch of petty assholes who are more interested in being the ones in charge than using their position to serve/build the community.

The current mods are singularly interested in managing the decline/minimizing any capacity for the community ity to criticize them. No matter what their words day-to-day their actions demonstrate (over and over) their true intent.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 23, 2019

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
If you look at the apology post by Beer4theBeergod, he said that "next time" he would consult with another mod or admin before probating a trans poster for talking back to him, so its very likely that he threw a shitfit again behind the scenes.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
reading that thread, it was clear Beer4TheBeerGod was being petty and dumb, but do we have any evidence that he entered the probation because OP is trans, or is that just conjecture?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

unwantedplatypus posted:

If you look at the apology post by Beer4theBeergod, he said that "next time" he would consult with another mod or admin before probating a trans poster for talking back to him, so its very likely that he threw a shitfit again behind the scenes.

R. Guyovich openly harassed trans posters (several of whom left the community over it) and probed anyone who called him out, so this is nothing new. D&D likes to pretend that it is minority inclusive- but the moment a minority has their own opinion the mask comes off.

Let me know when D&D mods are ready to do more than just virtue signal about how inclusive these here forums are- till then there really isn't much reason to participate here anymore.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

oxsnard posted:

reading that thread, it was clear Beer4TheBeerGod was being petty and dumb, but do we have any evidence that he entered the probation because OP is trans, or is that just conjecture?

Pattern recognition

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

oxsnard posted:

Sure is weird how transposters who disagree with mods constantly get the hammer dropped on them for the slightest infraction innit?

This is NOT a new problem on these forums/D&D in particular.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 23, 2019

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

That post doesn't seem especially hostile? I bet there are ruder posts on any random page of any D&D thread.

I don't post here much, but it seems like the mod really has it in for leftist posters in general, and a few people like Benghazi in particular who catch month-long probes for no real reason.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

oxsnard posted:

of course not, beer simply dared to discuss something that made elizabeth warren look bad and the weirdos came out of the woodwork. this idiot being probed was the correct move by d&d mods and frankly some of the other guys harassing beer in that thread should be probed too.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh Snapple! posted:

Rescind this stupid-rear end probation.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Mnoba posted:

the weirdos came out of the woodwork.

by weirdos, you mean "regular thread posters," right?

You don't ever post in DnD and show up now. How did you avoid getting banned for transphobia? Go back to FYAD, shithead

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

oxsnard posted:

You don't ever post in DnD and show up now. How did you avoid getting banned for transphobia? Go back to FYAD, shithead

Mnoba's GBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

oxsnard posted:

read my post, i'm referencing the people in the now locked thread going after him for posting not whatever you think