Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Any mod who tries to self-impale and illicit sympathy by portraying himself as suffering for the good of the forums like a manipulative piece of poo poo should be automatically considered illegible for the mod position.

Also ban Beer 4 The Beer God

Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

joyous noel to you also

Big Benghazi ain't goin' away :clint:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Any mod who tries to self-impale and illicit sympathy by portraying himself as suffering for the good of the forums like a manipulative piece of poo poo should be automatically considered illegible for the mod position.

And make it a perma, like the rest of the transphobes got.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

You've already probed yourself, and it looks like BENGHAZI 2 got unprobed while I was writing all this, which is great, but still: let me break this down for you.

There are two ways for the community to react to the punishment given to BENGHAZI 2--either by taking it at face value, or by looking for a further explanation.

At face value, it's incredibly arbitrary and disproportionate compared to what other posters get. Indeed, it's not entirely clear what element of the post actually warranted punishment. So a further explanation is actually necessary.

The further explanation provided by other moderators is that this was some kind of response to her posting history in its totality. Which raises a million questions, such as "which posts specifically?" and "why weren't they punished at the time?" No answers have been forthcoming to these questions, so in lieu of that, people are going to keep looking for other explanations.

And the other, really obvious, explanation is: bigotry.

It's great that Arivia and Beer are good, or whatever. But there's no reason he should have been allowed to keep modding after saying something so egregiously, deliberately hostile to the community. Modding's not just something people are automatically entitled to. If he really understood how wrong he was, he would have resigned as a mod; the fact that he didn't indicates he hasn't taken it seriously enough to change himself.

Which brings us to this situation: a trans person pointed out, in the mildest way possible, that Beer shouldn't be a mod after displaying this level of judgment, and got hit with a vastly disproportionate punishment.

I get the people who look at this and say "doesn't matter, it's just an internet forum"--personally I think that's naive after 2016, but I get it. But here's the thing: for so many transgender people, internet forums are the only place we can actually discuss transitioning, trade information, and just be open about who we are. It's not safe, or even possible, to do that in person most of the time.

So that's why you really have to dot your i's and cross your t's when it comes to transphobia among moderators: because if you give the wrong person the power to regulate the place where trans people connect, they can do serious, lasting harm.

(Same goes for every form of bigotry, but I'm staying in my lane here.)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

This whole affair has been the REAL Benghazi 2 if you were to as-*crowd pelts me with rotten vegetables, large vaudeville hook pulls me by my neck offstage*

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

free dickeye free crazy cloud remember sailor

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Agreed. Both mods have shown ample evidence of terrible patterns of behavior and should be gone.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Yay Big Benghazi coming back!

Boo for a petulant self-imposed sentence that is only half of the original approved ban for nothing!

Resiggggggggn

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NienNunb posted:

This whole affair has been the REAL Benghazi 2 if you were to as-*crowd pelts me with rotten vegetables, large vaudeville hook pulls me by my neck offstage*

A big flaming stink sure raised A big flaming stink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, Beer4TheBeerGod has made a statement:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hi everyone. Having read through the thread I wanted to reaffirm that what I posted towards Arivia was unequivocally wrong and that apology was absolutely sincere. I understand that words are just words and I made an inexcusable mistake, but I would hope that my actions since then have reflected a sincere attempt to learn from that failing and grow. If I've done anything that comes off as opposing the values that Ettin and I are doing our best to support then please let me know. If you're not comfortable talking to me directly, PM Ettin or an admin.

And now we're going to close this thread for a while. Do not open it, nor create new threads in the same vein. Most of the mods and admins are busy with family or other obligations this time of year, and cannot properly discuss or respond to this kind of thing. After the holidays pass, we'll revisit this. I know this isn't a particularly satisfying conclusion, and I apologize for that. I promise that quite a few mods are interested in what is going on here, and when we have more time we'll give this the attention it deserves.