Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cda

by Hand Knit
the way i figure it, we're due for a kind of funny that hasn't been done before. let's try and figure out what the next kind of comedy is, and also maybe maintain a list of all previous forms of comedy so we can avoid them. here are some kinds of humor that have been done

- monkeh cheeze RaNdOme humor
- observational humor
- the kind of humor where you say slurs
- men/women black/white contrast humor
- satire
- *does a thing* humor
- slapstick
- puns
- humor where you say mean things at a person until they cry, then you say that you were just kidding and make fun of them for crying
- put labels on images (i.e. memes, political cartoons)

i think we can all agree that all these kinds of humor are still pretty funny but we don't want them to get played out, so let's see what we can come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda

by Hand Knit
thgouht of another one to avoid: gallows humor.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Chokes McGee

This is Urotsuki.
there is also antihumor where things are funny because they are not funny

it's p funny when you think about it. metahumor maybe??

nut

I’ve been trying to make a new one it’s half spit and half peep

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Enviroconcious comedy, in which you cut on people real bad for not being environmentally conscious. Like, ina really harsh way

Like if someone doesn't put a empty Coke can in the right recycling container, you say "Welp, looks like THERE'S someone who could care less about tomorrow, everyone laugh and point and follow him around so people who weren't even here to see it knows how much of a jerk they are!" and then those people would get to take the rest of the day off following the dumb jagoff around letting other people in the offender's life know how horrible they are and what their role is in the coming weeks and months re-educating their loser of an idiot friend/brother/husband or whatever.

I just binge-watched **buuurrrp!** 3 seasons of Rick and Morty and I might be channeling one or **buuuurrrpp!!** both of them so take out of this what you will. Season 4's ready for me, wub-a-dub-dub!

**portals out**

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Winifred Madgers

does scatological humor fall under slapstick or satire?

google THIS

A lot of humor is taboo humor, whether it's sexual or swearing or even relatively mundane but rude things like farts or poop.

So here's the concept: perfectly socially acceptable humor. Like a comedian turns away and coughs into their elbow and the audience just falls apart laughing.

Trying

saying legitimately serious things in an appropriately serious tone of voice has become powerfully hilarious to me

cda

by Hand Knit

google THIS posted:

A lot of humor is taboo humor, whether it's sexual or swearing or even relatively mundane but rude things like farts or poop.

So here's the concept: perfectly socially acceptable humor. Like a comedian turns away and coughs into their elbow and the audience just falls apart laughing.

I'm liking where this is going

google THIS

Sitcom doctor: Some people legitimately benefit from psychotropic medications, but after carefully listening to your problems and looking at your medical and mental health history I don't think they would be a good fit for you.

(audience laughs so hard the actors have to pause before they continue)

cda

by Hand Knit
If you would like a second opinion, I can refer you to one of my colleagues in this practice or you can select any other doctor and I would be happy to send them your medical records.

Trying

google THIS posted:

Sitcom doctor: Some people legitimately benefit from psychotropic medications, but after carefully listening to your problems and looking at your medical and mental health history I don't think they would be a good fit for you.

cda posted:

If you would like a second opinion, I can refer you to one of my colleagues in this practice or you can select any other doctor and I would be happy to send them your medical records.

ahahahahahahaha

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i feel like we never fully explored gangstalking

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It is theorized that laughter is a specific evolved form of an alarm response. Indeed, most forms of humor depend on discomfort at some level. The classic joke works thusly: A small story is told which establishes a setting and then leads to a conflict that has one of several expected outcomes. The actual outcome, however, is often an unexpected outcome that nonetheless conforms to the established setting. It is thought the initial discomfort that the brain experiences followed by the understanding of the new rules set down by the resolution are what evokes the laughter response. The degree with which the outcome is unforeseen along with the way that the resolution is re-established into the logic of the setting is often related to the degree of the humor response.

"Shock Humor" or dirty jokes use another tactic of causing discomfort in the listener as a certain amount of discomfort can also evoke laughter. The teller of the joke must be careful that the level of discomfort does not exceed the listeners acceptable range and turn into disgust, as this rarely, if ever, results in the laughter response. Indeed many joke artists use prejudicial or scatological shock humor not as a means to an end itself, but as an amplifier to the previously established means of evoking laughter.

Lastly, Slapstick is a form of humor in which a subject is caused physical distress to the amusement of the observer. This form of humor is one of the few that form on its own. A person simply falling down on the ice may illicit the laughter response despite their intentions. Slapstick is Nature's Comedy.

A theoretical fourth form of humor has been rumored to exist and tests are right now being conducted at the Large Hardon Collider in order to establish if it may exist at the quantum state.

Goons Are Gifts

google THIS posted:

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Laughing at other people who laugh at people who are the victims of circumstance.

Shame 'em freude

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
humor is really a catch-all category for anything containing joke-particles (tetra humor comedies). naturally occuring jokes contain small ammounts of this, while selective breeding over generations has led to the highly potent comedies we are used to in modern times

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tradjik

Nosfereefer posted:

humor is really a catch-all category for anything containing joke-particles (tetra humor comedies). naturally occuring jokes contain small ammounts of this, while selective breeding over generations has led to the highly potent comedies we are used to in modern times

there is an almost anti particle that helps chill people out. real chill comedy, bit heavy. good for those suffering from chronic depression

tradjik

i call it a comedic break down

Mr. Dick

by Cyrano4747
Humor by attrition: Delivering a setup so long and meandering that the person telling the joke forgets to work in a punchline.

The materialist's antinomy: Directly stimulating the humor centers of the brain with electrical impulses.

Humor for dogs: Jokes told exclusively through smell.

Failure to parse: Just reading and reading until you misread something where the misreading is humorous.

----------------

tradjik

Feasibly Active/Reactive Tension: it's kinda poo poo but sometimes the best joke for the situation is a crappy one, so nobody has to think too hard and can just wipe their brains for a bit

beer pal

maybe the world just needs to take a tolerance break from jokes

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

cda

by Hand Knit

beer pal posted:

maybe the world just needs to take a tolerance break from jokes

No Joke January

Winifred Madgers

Mr. Dick posted:

Humor for dogs: Jokes told exclusively through smell.

We already covered the scatological

Winifred Madgers

cda posted:

No Joke January

way ahead of you bro

xcheopis

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

way ahead of you bro

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

German humor is not currently humorous so if we could make that funny that would be a new form of humour imo

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

tradjik

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

German humor is not currently humorous so if we could make that funny that would be a new form of humour imo

could you post an example? perhaps a youtube video?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

tradjik posted:

could you post an example? perhaps a youtube video?

I cannot because this thread is for new forms of humor and german "humor" is not even an old form of humor. AND ALSO there are no videos of german humor because it does not exist

here is an alleged video of german humor but as you can see it is not funny in the least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlX8tpt6avA

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I cannot because this thread is for new forms of humor and german "humor" is not even an old form of humor. AND ALSO there are no videos of german humor because it does not exist

here is an alleged video of german humor but as you can see it is not funny in the least:

honestly terrifying

tradjik

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i was ready to smile a bit and tell you that it's not that bad however i could not finish the video i am sorry

tradjik

true story. the first joke i ever made, i remember it well, i was but a spawnling;

*points to ground*

this is up

*points to sky*

and this is down

Escape From Noise

I liked that German forklift operator safety video

El Spider

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Wow— Definitely a lot to unpack here. You gotta hand it to the Germans this time, like with all great car brands,(Mercedes-Benz,BMW, Porsche, etc.) they have truly engineered something in a league of its own.

----------------

El Spider

It's pretty easy to see the brilliance of this bit right from the get go. We're greeted by a very friendly, smiling , albeit stupid auto mechanic. Completely subverting my expectations as I know all Germans to be highly intelligent and analytical. One thing we can definitely take note of is the unique approach to using the concept of a "straight man" (somebody pissed off with a buffoon or idiot type character) as a foil to our 30th percentile IQ mechanic. Usually a straight man does not interact much with the other absurd character, however throughout the skit our Highly Stupid mechanic actually is visibly horny for her and therefore increases the comedic yield manyfold. This is because he wants to have sex with her, meanwhile she just wants her car serviced. I would dive further into the details for this masterpiece but I don't want to spoil it for the rest of my friends in BYOB, you'll have to watch it to appreciate its full potential. Trust me, this is the breath of fresh air comedy has been gasping for this whole decade.

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

and esteban

Manifisto

how about some jungian humor. like a situation comedy with self, shadow figure, anima/animus, all playing out on the set of your cranium.

me: looks like a wonderful day

shadow: a good day to KILL EVERYONE STEAL poo poo DEFILE AROUSING OBJECTS

anima: guess what biotches it's LADYTIME

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Whatever you come up with I hope it's a style of humor that makes me funny.

tradjik

Manifisto posted:

how about some jungian humor. like a situation comedy with self, shadow figure, anima/animus, all playing out on the set of your cranium.

me: looks like a wonderful day

shadow: a good day to KILL EVERYONE STEAL poo poo DEFILE AROUSING OBJECTS

anima: guess what biotches it's LADYTIME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

As a German I might be able to terrify you further by leaking that this guy, and this is no joke, is considered one of the greatest Master of jokes that has ever lived for everyone born pre-1985.
Modern Germans dropped the concept of jokes altogether so it's tough for us youngsters to relate to our horrible and bloody past.

If you can make Heinz Erhardt funny, that would truly be a new, transcendental form of humor.