Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Corpse Party: Blood Drive is a top-down adventure game with survival horror elements and lots of anime. Blood Drive is the conclusion of the "Heavenly Host Saga" of the Corpse Party series, tying up all the loose ends from Corpse Party and Book of Shadows. Or tying up most of them, at least. Blood Drive's story is told over 11 Chapters and 8 Extra Chapters, but it's overall about as long as the PSP version of the first game, it's simply divided into more, shorter chapters.

Blood Drive expects you to be familiar with Corpse Party and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, and spoils them in their entirety. If you have not played both of these games, either play them, or read my LPs of them before reading this thread! In fact, the rest of this OP is going to spoil the other games!

My LP of Corpse Party
My LP of Book of Shadows

Additional Reading: My LP of Corpse-Party for PC98 (no longer canon)

Book of Shadows is not a good game. If reading it is giving you a migraine, the canon chapters are 3, 4, 7 and 8. You can get away with only reading chapter 8 and won't miss much in Blood Drive other than some small references to the other canon chapters. The noncanon chapters aren't mentioned at all. The game also contains a few references to Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash, which is available in English on Steam, but can safely be ignored. I'll provide explanations to the references as they come up.

Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash also features a summary of the series, of which I've made handy collages for your convenience. (Note: the Book of Shadows summary is a bit busted and is missing the end of Chapter 1. I add in my own quick single sentence summary of what it's missing)

Summary of Corpse Party (Part 1, Part 2)
Summary of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)

Two months have passed since Ayumi Shinozaki's attempt to bring her deceased friends back to life failed. The blowback from the black magic nearly took Ayumi's and Naomi's lives, but Ayumi's older sister Hinoe arrived just in time to sacrifice herself in order to save them. Determined to correct her mistakes, Ayumi attempts to seek out the Book of Shadows once again...

Blood Drive returns to the gameplay format of the original Corpse Party, abandoning the point and click gameplay of Book of Shadows. There are a lot of new mechanics added to this game as well, to give you a few things to worry about when playing beyond finding where to go or which items to use where.

Blood Drive is...not a good game. I'm a huge fan of the series so I enjoyed it, but I cannot recommend in good conscience that you spend money on this game, for reasons that will become very clear as we progress and see that the story and gameplay mechanics both leave something to be desired. One mechanic was received so poorly in fact, that the Japanese release had a patch a couple weeks after release to give the player the option to completely disable it (this option is in the English release from the start.) But we'll get into that when we get to it. The Vita version also suffers from horrible framerate drops constantly during gameplay, but the PC release helps this issue.

This is a hybrid LP. The game will mostly be shown in a screenshot format, with supplemental videos for when the audio is important. Be sure to wear headphones when watching videos, to experience the game's binaural audio. Video content will be transcribed for those of you who cannot watch them.

This is a 100% run of the recent release on Steam. The game originally released on Vita, but the Steam version is a significant improvement. I'll be getting every Wrong End and collecting every nametag. I'll also be covering the bonus content, including the Soulful Testimonies and the Encyclopedia Obscura.

Do not post spoilers in this thread; not even in tags. Also avoid hinting at future events, like "The next update is going to be pretty violent. Not for the faint of heart!" This rule doesn't apply to the other games in the series. Go nuts talking about all the plot spoilers for Corpse Party and Book of Shadows that you want, no spoiler tags necessary, because the game's going to spoil it all anyway.

Special thanks to Ragnar Homsar for providing me with a game script.

Chapter 00 - Part 1
Chapter 00 - Part 2
Chapter 00 - Part 3

Chapter 01 - Part 1
Chapter 01 - Part 2
Chapter 01 - Part 3
Chapter 01 - Part 4
Chapter 01 - Wrong Ending
Chapter 01 - Encyclopedia Obscura

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Music: Broken Memory

Aaaaah!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

...? S-Sis...!

Music: None

...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Sound Effect: Siren

It had been two months since the "Book of Shadows" incident. I'd been critically wounded by the blowback from the sorcery I'd involved myself with, but Nakashima was there to carry me out from the crumbling Shinozaki estate. The two of us were picked up on the side of the old mountain road and rushed to a hospital, where I was restored to stable condition. The grimoire responsible for so much of the horror everyone had been through, the Book of Shadows, was buried in the rubble of the estate when its roof collapsed.

...Hard to believe that over two months had passed since the fall of Heavenly Host Elementary...since the five of us were returned safely to the real world...

Music: Cute Gesture

Female Student 1: Hya!

Female Student 1: Hmm... That's weird. According to that urban legend site, tearing the paper doll is supposed to cause an earthquake and get you spirited away...
Female Student 3: Hey! That's not the kind of thing you invite your friends to do with you, is it?!
Female Student 2: That's so mean!
Female Student 1: Ahaha! Sorry, guys! But now we'll always be together, right?

And certainly, no one was going to miss a place like that, where countless living beings were trapped, their lives snuffed out violently and traumatically...

...but along with the school, the lives of our friends and our teacher were also erased. And they weren't just dead, but wiped from existence entirely...

Music: The Mad Clock

I know she's real! Why won't anyone believe me?!

Natsumi: Listen, there's no such person as Seiko. Now, take your medicine! Please!

No! NOOO!!

Sound Effect: Crash

Natsumi: Naomi? Naomi... Take the medicine! Take it!

No! I'm not crazy! I'm not!

Someone! Someone, please help!! Class rep! Hang in there!

...! No! No, I won't let you die!

Music: Girl Date

When I reached the front gate, I stopped and stared at the school grounds, shrinking back a bit... I knew that once I passed through these gates... I'd be reminded of a reality where Suzumoto, Ms. Yui, and the others no longer exist...

Satoshi calls out to Ayumi, and she runs forward to meet her friends.

Guys...

These were the only people in the world who understood me. The only people I could relate to. The only ones who remembered our four departed friends...

Welcome back. Congratulations...on your recovery.

And Naomi immediately grabs Ayumi's chest.

Okay, she's hugging her, but the animation is really poorly done and it looks like groping. And knowing Corpse Party, it wouldn't be surprising if that's what it was supposed to be.

Ayumi rests her head on Naomi's shoulder and cries.

At this point, we're put into control of Ayumi and can walk around and talk to the others.

Fun fact: we're actually forced to talk to everyone. The game won't proceed unless we do.

Kishinuma...

Mm... Thanks.

Nakashima...

I... I'm fine, Yuka! Thank you.

There's absolutely nothing else on this screen, even things to investigate for flavor text. So we approach the school and the screen fades to black.

I didn't know that even outside of the closed spaces of Heavenly Host...even here in the real world...

We see a schoolgirl enter her bedroom, closing the door behind her.

The girl sets her bag on the desk and sits on her bed.

Female Student: I hope Mama worked the early shift today. I'm starving!

Suddenly, the door flies open.

Female Student: ...Mama...?

Female Student: ...*exhale*

The girl closes the door and returns to her bed.

The girl suddenly gets flung against the ceiling

And then her spine starts to bend backwards...

Sound Effect: Snap

...and she falls.

Video: Opening

Music: In the Rain

And the game's opening animation plays. It's pretty good; I recommend watching it!

The green text represents background dialog. In this case, it's a male reporter on the television.

I like how Naomi's mom is referred to as Natsumi, while Ayumi's mom has no identity beyond being Ayumi's mother.

Ayumi's Mother: Still can't believe your luck, tripping and falling on...what was it again? A cutting tool? And that's all it took to put you out of commission for two months... Life certainly is fragile. What were you doing, anyway? I hope you're not dabbling in that occult business like your sister!

Ayumi's Mother: ...And Hinoe, disappearing like always... I swear, these girls of mine are giving me gray hairs!

Ayumi's mom's hobby is exposition. She just exposits to people she sees daily about things that happened months ago. It's very tiring for everyone involved, I'm sure.

After leaving the living room, Ayumi retreats to Hinoe's room. It's a pretty faithful recreation of the (hideously resized) version shown in the PSP version of Blood Covered.

Sound Effect: Thud

...GgggggGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

Ayumi immediately turns and slams her fist into the wall.

Sound Effect: Thud Thud Thud

And again and again, this time punching so hard that blood splatters out of her hand.

That same horrible scene played out in my memory once more...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!! Aagh...! *choke* *sob*

A massive earthquake rippled through the basement of the Shinozaki estate, leaving it teetering on the edge of collapse. Worse still, the whole place was in flames. Hinoe's lifeless body appeared as if shimmering in the fire's light, red glinting off of red around the edges of the blades that were rapidly sluicing her flesh. They danced around and through her almost whimsically, prompting unnatural gyrations throughout her body without ever letting her so much as touch the ground.

STOOOOP!!

...but Hinoe used what little strength she had left to push me back.

Hinoe: You need to live, Ayumi. Remember, your sister will be with you always...in your heart...

I could distinctly hear these words in the back of my head, spoken in a soft, soothing voice.

It was short-lived, however, as the ceiling suddenly became webbed with cracks and fissures and a massive beam fell from above, crushing her upper body entirely.

AAAAAAAAAAAH!!

My hands and feet were covered in red bruises and cuts from the swarm of blades that my "spell" had summoned. Naomi was bleeding as well, but nowhere near as badly.

No! Class rep! We have to go!
LET ME GO! LET ME GO!! AAAAAAHHHH!!

We sought -- and found -- another place that shouldn't exist: the estate of Yoshie and Sachiko Shinozaki. It was supposedly torn down long ago...but there it stood. In its basement, we found an old book of spells known as the "Book of Shadows." Convinced I could undo the horrors I'd seen, I decided to try a little black magic of my own. This, inevitably, led to the worst nightmare of them all. I was attacked from all sides, uncertain what was real and what was not. The wounds I endured should've been fatal.

I don't know how she knew where I was...but just as things seemed bleakest...Sis came rushing in to my rescue. In the end, I'd only made things worse. All I did...was add one more sacrifice to the pile.

Video: Hinoe's Room

Back in Hinoe's room, Ayumi gets back on her feet.

Sound Effect: Crash

And she swings her arm at the nearby vanity, knocking the pair of scissors to the floor.

Sound Effect: Slicing

Aaaaaagh!

Ayumi picks up the scissors and immediately cuts herself with them.

I should've died! It should've been me! I'm responsible for everyone's death!

...Come on, don't stop! Just die already.

With one shoe on my desk and sporting a rare open-mouthed version of a poo poo-eating grin, a boy wearing a black parka was just somehow...there, in my room, without explanation.

This narration kind of confuses me. I'm fairly certain this is Hinoe's bedroom she's in, based on it being nearly identical to Hinoe's room in the PSP game, but Ayumi refers to it as "my room." I'm pretty sure the narration is incorrect here.

If you're about to die, why do you care who I am? Clearly, you're not serious about this at all.
Ghh... *whimper*

Ayumi returns to the vanity.

And she picks up the jade knife and lifts it above her head.

Like I said, you're not serious. You're just deluding yourself.
Where's your mind at, bitch? Aren't you just looking to save yourself? Spare yourself from all this suffering?
So stop lashing out and do something about it, you fucktard! Ain't nobody else gonna come to your rescue!

I'm nobody.

The boy walks across the room to Ayumi's side.

And the boy silently turns around and approaches the window.

All I could do was stand there and sob.

VIDEO ENDS HERE

Meanwhile...

(Shinozaki's house should be somewhere around here, I think...)

And the boy in the black parka walks by Yoshiki.

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 24, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's here! IT'S HERE! Yes! I got so worried when you abandoned your last LP, but :toot:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Hamsterlady posted:

With one shoe on my desk and sporting a rare open-mouthed version of a poo poo-eating grin, a boy wearing a black parka was just somehow...there, in my room, without explanation.

This narration kind of confuses me. I'm fairly certain this is Hinoe's bedroom she's in, based on it being nearly identical to Hinoe's room in the PSP game, but Ayumi refers to it as "my room." I'm pretty sure the narration is incorrect here.

This happened in translation - in Japanese it just says the boy is "there".

Also glad to see this back.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This is not a great game, but it does have some cool ideas and I am looking forward to you finally being able to wrap up the Corpse Party series. Wouldn't be right if it was done by anybody else

g'luck!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Feels weird to read an LP wrapping up a series whose LPs I first read in high school now that I'm almost 2 years out of college. Good luck!

(I helped with this by providing the script. I wish I had anything interesting to say about this game's internals other than that it uses Lua for scripting, something I don't think most Unity games do.)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Thank you all for the kind words, and thank you Ragnar for datamining out a game script for me!

I'm shooting for a roughly weekly update pace for this, but if I start to get burnt out I may take breaks to ensure it doesn't end with month long breaks and an abandoned thread.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Female Student: Bow!

Mr. Yamazaki: Nice work, everyone.

Music: Everyone's Kindness

You brought lunch today, right? Let's eat on the roof.
Oh, sure. Seems like a nice day for that. Let's go!

The scene changes, and Satoshi and Yoshiki arrive on the roof.

Love that autumn sun!

The two of them walk to the edge of the roof.

...I gotta say, though, my lunch box sure feels light...
What'd you bring today, Yoshiki?
I had some time, so I fried up a little somethin'.

Sounds like first world problems, if you ask me!
You think so?

The boys open their lunch boxes in unison...

...and the game slowly zooms in on Satoshi's.

You're such a drama queen, Satoshi

Uh...umm... Ms. Kuon...uhh...Niwa?
(I think?)
(Yeah.)

She was an English teacher with white hair, blue eyes, and a soft, delicate voice.

We asked our classmates about her the day we returned from Heavenly Host Elementary. They said she was a teacher who'd come to our school half a year ago...but the five of us had no memory of that. In our world -- the one we came from -- we had Ms. Yui instead, filling the exact same role. So we meant no offense to Ms. Kuon, but her presence here...this reality...just felt inherently wrong to those of us who survived the Heavenly Host incident.

What is it you'd most like to eat?
Huh?
What's your favorite food?
Uh...uhhh...pork cutlet on rice, I guess?
...Okay.

And with that, Kuon leaves.

Haha. She's probably just messing with you!

Okay. But you should probably hurry it up. I mean, lunch has already started, so I doubt they have a whole lot left at this point.
Oh, crap, you're right! Okay, wait right here. I'll be back!

We're put into control and given a brief explanation of how sprinting works. We can hold a button to sprint, but it gradually drains our stamina. If you run out stamina, you'll be winded for a bit, and move slowly for awhile. If you continue to sprint while winded, you'll have to stop entirely to catch your breath. There's no visible stamina gauge, you just have to get a feel for how long you can sprint and avoid exerting yourself.

Remember the chase sequences in the other games? Imagine those, but with stamina management.

Anyway, we sprint over to the door that's two steps away and the game takes control away from us again.

After a quick fade to black, we fade back in and Satoshi is stumbling back onto the roof.

My eyes shone upon meeting those of the magnificent golden fried shrimp.

Really?! Thank you so much! Aaaaah...!

Sound: Helicopter

As Satoshi leans in to be hand-fed by Yoshiki, they're distracted by the sound of a nearby helicopter.

And a man in black descends on a rope ladder?

Huh? M-Me? I...am, but, uhh...

Man in Black: I've come to deliver your lunch.

Whaaa?!

And with his task completed, the man returns to the rope ladder.

And he's carried away.

...Who... WHAT is Ms. Kuon?!

The scene cuts to the school gates, and we see a girl staring up at the sky.

Music: The Time for Girls

The classroom glowed with the golden hue of twilight, but my gaze was fixed at the floor. It must have been obvious to Nakashima that I had a lot on my mind.

Are you...okay?

She asked this as she sat down at a desk in front of me, facing backward. She was trying to comfort me. But she had dark circles around her eyes too. She and I must have looked very similar to one another, from an outside perspective. My left hand was still wrapped in bandages. It throbbed incessantly, reminding me of the previous night's events. I ignored it as best as I could and forced an empty smile.

I won't...cause any more trouble.
Huh?
Trouble? What do you mean?

Class rep...

What's wrong, Naomi?
Our class rep seems to be taking everything really hard. We should try to support her a little more.
She's not the only one, Naomi. You've been pretty hard on yourself too, don't you think?
...I'm fine. I mean, I'm not the only one suffering here. We've all got to be strong for one another.
...I just...hope she doesn't do anything drastic.

As I walked, I thought back to my time in the hospital.

Music: Light

I was lying in bed, arms and legs virtually mummified in bandages, when a woman with flowers came in to see me.

Who are you...?
My name is Mirai Yamamura. Hinoe...er, your sister and I are both part of the "Wicca Institute," an association dedicated of the worship of spirits.
So...you know Sis?
I do. That's why I've come to see you.

I appreciate that Ayumi is confined in a little box so they don't have to draw a hospital gown version of her portrait.

...Are your parents...not here at the moment?
They're out shopping.
I see. So neither your father nor your mother know, then. About Hinoe's...death...

The day she lost her life...before she went after you to the old Shinozaki estate...the last person she contacted was me.
Sis contacted you?!
...She probably understood her fate...and accepted it. The spirits can reveal a person's time of death, if you let them.
But she was prepared to take action regardless. She didn't care what the consequences might be. She really was an amazing person...

*sob* *hic*

I had been sitting up in bed, but unconsciously started to curl into a fetal position as best as I could with the bandages. Yamamura put her hand on my back to comfort me.

*sniffle* ...Huh?

If that book should ever fall into the wrong hands, the world would most assuredly be plunged into utter chaos. See, we of the W.I are an association of white witches who commune with spirits and abide by the will of nature. Hinoe was initially hesitant to involve herself with anything related to the Shinozaki bloodline, having defied her parents and rejected her lineage...but in recent years, she's been sensing the presence of the book and growing more and more intrigued.
The other Wiccans and I looked for it, of course...but we found no hint of it at the site of Yoshie and Sachiko Shinozaki's estate. We were surprised to find burned beams and other debris of the old house on what we expected to be nothing more than a vacant lot...but that was all we found.

Yamamura looked directly into my eyes.

Yamamura pulled a notepad from her pocket and carefully wrote a name and address on the top sheet. She then tore the page and handed it to me.

"Makina Shinozaki"

...I knew that name! It was...on the family tree...

Makina Shinozaki is the old woman who appears in chapter 3 of Book of Shadows. This name is established in Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash.

(Yeah, in the Shinozaki estate's basement, Yoshie's grandmother had had three daughters, and the second was Makina. So Yoshie's mother's younger sister... Yoshie's aunt!

We tried, but we were too strongly connected to the spirit world. We just...couldn't enter the room. I don't know what, exactly, you might find there...but if you have the strength to fulfill Hinoe's last request, I'd like to ask that you try.

Sis'...last request...

On the other side of the door, a peculiar girl stood in wait. As soon as Yamamura had covered enough distance to put me out of earshot, the two of them spoke.

Music: Strange Proposal

Is... Is that good enough? Can I go now?

...!

Yamamura ran away, as quickly as she could without drawing attention to herself. As if in response, the intimidating girl in the peculiar outfit spat on the hospital wall.

As she mumbled these words, she sneaked a sidelong glance at me in my room. I was completely oblivious.

It was time to meet my fate. I had no trouble locating Makina's residence. I don't know what I was expecting, but what I found was just...an ordinary apartment building. ...I couldn't involve Mochida and the others in this. They'd been through enough already. Besides, this was a family matter. My bloodline was responsible for this whole mess, so it was only right that I be the one to make amends. Alone.

Music: Condemned Apartments

This is the place, all right. "Shimorenjaku South Apartments."

I'd expect apartments in this condition to get torn down, rather than just...left to rot. Does anyone even manage this building?

And now we're put into control. But this time it's for actual gameplay! The candles work exactly like they did in Blood Covered. They're save points that fully restore your HP.

I like the detail of her left hand being wrapped in bandages on her character model.

There's not really much to see here, so we approach the entrance to the apartments and check out the mailboxes.

Some, in fact, are just plain rotted out entirely, or the slots for them are rusted over. They look like props from a horror movie.

(No Makina Shinozaki here...I think. I should check one of the other stairwells.)

We can't go up the stairwell here, so we head west past the candle. There's nothing at all to the east.

(I hate feeling so conspicuous. It puts me completely on edge...)
(If a door should suddenly open and somebody yells at me for being here, I think I'll probably just drop dead on the spot.)

Sound Effect: Footsteps

When a person gets truly startled, she's unable to move due to the combination of fear and...well, being put on the spot. It's like she's been planted to the ground. It may be human nature, but I hated not being in control of my actions. Nonetheless, there I was...a sitting duck, just waiting for someone to come down the stairs.

...Except, no one did. The seconds ticked on, but I was pretty definitively the only one here.

Ayumi approaches the stairwell.

She takes a couple more steps towards the stairs, and...

Sound Effect: Creak

A mailbox suddenly opens, all on its own.

The bottom layer of this stack had turned an unpleasant shade of brown. It may have just been from years of settling debris, but...if that were the case, it shouldn't have been THAT dark.

Wh-What's in there...?

I slowly unwrapped the tissue, morbidly curious as to what I might find inside. It was only then that I noticed the inside of the mailbox itself, which was stained a deep crimson. It looked a whole lot like...blood...

...?!

Ayumi drops the bird and jumps backwards, landing on her butt.

And slowly rises to her feet.

*pant* *pant* *wheeze* *gulp*

We're put back into control and head up the stairwell, as we've found the correct building.

Aah! Wh-What's going on? Is someone there?!

*pant* *pant* I...I must be hearing things...
Wh-Where's my flashlight...?

Ayumi turns on her flashlight and spins around to look at the door behind her.

*pant* *pant* *pant*

Nnng...
(Guess I'll just...have to hold it.)

Hey... I dunno if you know this...but Makoto Kedouin likes pee and people needing to pee but not having access to a bathroom.

Two updates may be a "from start to pee" record for the series.

Anyway! We're put into control briefly, and are introduced to the first new gameplay mechanic of Blood Drive: the flashlight! You can mostly see fine without it, but turning it on allows you to see more details, and in particular, makes it much much easier to see hazards (which we won't be encountering until the next chapter.)

However! Keeping your flashlight on drains its battery. As the battery runs low, the light will begin to flicker, eventually going out entirely. Using a Battery item will refresh your flashlight's battery.

Everyone hates this mechanic. In fact, it was so poorly received, that...

...about a week after the original Japanese release of Blood Drive on Vita, they pushed out a patch that added Endless Battery mode. By enabling this option, your flashlight will no longer lose battery power. This feature was in the English release from the beginning.

I can definitely see why people dislike the battery mechanic, since it punishes the player for exploring thoroughly or getting lost. But honestly, I played through with Endless Battery turned off and always had two or three spare batteries whenever I ran out of power, and I was very thorough when exploring. They shower you with batteries (though maybe a part of that was because I was so thorough, I found them all)

For the purpose of the LP and ensuring that you, my dear readers, can see what's going on at all times, I will be playing with Endless Battery turned on.

We examine Makina Shinozaki's apartment door. If we examine the other door, it's rusted shut and will not open.

Excuse me...

There's a doorbell on the wall nearby.

*gulp*

Sound: Clicking

Guess there's no power...

I took a deep breath, mentally prepared myself for what I was about to attempt, and grabbed the steel doorknob.

Sound Effect: Vibration

*pant* *pant* M-My phone...? God, don't scare me like that!
Who would be calling me at this hour...? ...Huh? Unknown number? H-Hello...?

A woman's voice plays from the phone speaker.

...?!

What the hell?!

What? ...What?!
Is my phone on the fritz or something...? God...
Rrrrg...

Sound Effect: Lock Click

Aah! It's open!

The door opens, and Ayumi heads inside...

Side note: the Japanese word for "four," - "shi" - can also mean "death." Ayumi's phone displaying the number 4 over and over is basically the Japanese equivalent of if her phone displayed "666"

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I was wondering when the pee fetish would be showing up again. Didn't take long.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

"That makes ten packs of batteries for the flashlight."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

"We're just too connected to the spirit world. But I'm sure you, girl who gets possessed if a spirit so much as looks at you funny, will be fine."

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

"That makes ten packs of batteries for the flashlight."

Scarred for life by obtrusive flashlight management

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash features a summary of the series, of which I've made handy collages to add to the op. Since they weren't there originally, I figured I'd make a post to let everyone know, in case you need a refresher on the prior games and don't want to read huge LPs. (Note: the Book of Shadows summary is a bit busted and is missing the end of Chapter 1. I add in my own quick single sentence summary of what it's missing)

Summary of Corpse Party (Part 1, Part 2)
Summary of Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Hellooo...?

(Ulgh... It's so dusty...)
(How many years has it been since somebody actually lived here...?)
*deep breath* *deep breath*
Is anyone...h-home...?
(Should I...take off my shoes?)

Ayumi, what the hell are you doing, you're in a filthy apartment that hasn't been inhabited for probably a decade at least. Don't take your shoes off.

...!
(That was totally...a voice...)

*gasp*
(...! Th-That's right...)
(I need to learn from my mistakes...at Yoshie Shinozaki's house.)
(...This time...I've come prepared...with the voice recorder Sis used for her research...)

*deep breath* *deep breath*
*sigh* ...I'm fine. I can do this... *sigh* ...I've been to...that school...and that house...

To give more context to that date, the first game took place on October 27th, 2008. So this is slightly less than one month after Ayumi's visit to Heavenly Host.

This doesn't actually add up though, because everyone else says it's been two months since the first game. I lean towards "two months" being correct and the November 10th date being a mistake.

We're put into control here and begin exploring Makina's apartment.

Open it
Don't touch it

It's a Japanese-style toilet. Fortunately, despite the condition of the apartment building in general, it seems to be a modern and fully functioning non-septic model, without any foul smell.

(I wonder...if the water is still on.)
(Even if it is, the roar of flushing water would be really disconcerting right now...)

(Why do I have to pee at a time like this? What the hell is wrong with me?)

Use the toilet
Hold it

*moan* (I can't... I really have to go. If I don't, I'm afraid I'll wet myself...)

The main reason I'm showing this optional scene is so I can share this anecdote: the above screenshot was one of the first screenshots of Blood Drive that Kedouin released. This is also honestly probably the most uncomfortable (in terms of perviness) screenshot in the entire game, in my opinion.

I also picked that option because I like to show every scene, and choosing to hold it just results in Ayumi leaving the bathroom and refusing to re-enter.

It was kind of absurd, but I almost felt like I was infiltrating the deepest chambers of an enemy base.

*pant*... *pant*... *whimper*... (I'm so nervous...it just won't come out...) *whimper*

Sound Effect: Trickle

With what sounded like my own relieved voice echoing back at me from the walls, I thought I'd finally done my business...buy my bladder still felt completely full.

...?! I haven't got anything out at all...

(Wh-What is this?! Blood...? It's not...dripping from the ceiling or anything...)

It immediately brought to mind somebody slitting her wrists.

...N-No... I can't...

Ayumi immediately flees from the room.

Ayumi refuses to return to the bathroom, and she also refuses to leave the apartment, so there's only one way for us to go from here.

(The way Yamamura was talking, Makina Shinozaki is dead. But her appliances still seem to be completely intact...)
(Has anyone even been in here since her passing?)
*whimper* (Dammit, this is scary!)

We're put into control and start investigating the kitchen.

(Guess that clinches it. This is definitely Makina Shinozaki's apartment.)

Sound Effect: Sliding

Geeeh!

We head over to the fridge to investigate the photo that mysteriously slid down a couple inches.

Though blurry and hard to make out, it seemed to be of a forest thick with mist...along with one additional detail that made it much worse.

(N-No... I... I want to go home! I'm scared! ...Clues... I'm looking for clues...but where? How?!)
(I don't even know what I'm looking for, do I...? I'll just try to take some of Makina's things back with me, I guess. As many as I can carry.)

The photo on the table fell over, making a sound that startles Ayumi. Or it was supposed to, at least, but it didn't. The sound effect still played, but the photo stayed firmly in place. It falls over on Vita.

We're put back into control and continue to investigate the kitchen.

There aren't really any signs of food anywhere, however. Maybe Makina didn't eat much...

Investigating the fridge again just shows the photo of the noose, and "There's nothing of interest" on the shelves to the north of the fridge.

With our exploration of the kitchen complete, we proceed into the next room...

There's a sparkly thing on the table here. The game gives us a quick tutorial that basically amounts to "Shiny things are items, pick them up.

Sound: Item Acquisition

This item is just batteries. Even if we weren't playing in Endless Battery mode, these would be worthless because you'd have to just leave the game idling with the light on to run out of battery in Chapter 00.

(...There are... I can't take these. I wonder if there are any dependents listed, though... Or if there's anything else in here. Let's see... Ah! Photographs!)

Ayumi has got some weird morals. Breaking into a dead woman's home, using her toilet, and ransacking the place is fine, but she draws the line at stealing official documents.

(Is this...Makina?)

The next photograph showed a different woman smiling widely. Her clothes were actually quite beautiful, and her eyes looked almost lifelike on the paper, like they could suck you in. I flipped through each of the remaining pictures, seeing mostly just more of the same. Until...

"Makina, Raki and Yoshie in Yokohama"

(Yoshie Shinozaki... That's Sachiko's mother! So does that mean this girl is...?)

Yoshie was a cute baby. Glad she didn't have the 90 degree neck problem back then.

We're kind of unceremoniously dumped back into control. There's no more to that photo, just "could it be...?"

We investigate the cabinet directly next to the chest of drawers.

It was a small, white box made out of paper. So small, in fact, that it fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare. It was light as a feather, too.

Open the box
Put it back

In the PC version, the icon of the bird lingers longer than on Vita, blocking the animation of Ayumi dropping the box it was inside of. You can sort of see it in the above screenshot.

Aaaah...!
(Why is there another one in here?!)
(I have to...pick it up, but...I really don't want to!) *whimper* *whimper*

Ayumi continues to have the most bizarre priorities.

*moan* I'm sorry... I'm sorry!

I closed my eyes and put my hands together, saying a little prayer for the poor animal. I then left the box where it lay and got back to my feet.

Makina's extensive dead bird collection.

There's nothing else in the living room, so we head yet deeper into Makina's apartment.

This is a pretty nice place. Not a bad size for a single occupant.

Video: Bedroom
(This video covers the remainder of the update.)

...!

Its top cover was convexed, just as it would be if someone were sleeping beneath it. In fact, that's exactly what it looked like...almost unmistakably. And right on top of it sat a perfect cube of a box, about ten centimeters across on all sides and bright red like a Shinto "torii" gate.

...Which would've been a lot more interesting if I weren't still scared out of my mind by the thought that there might've been someone under that cover this whole time...

*whimper*

(It won't open... ...?!)

The corner of the room begins to smoke oddly, and Ayumi quickly pulls out her flashlight and shines it in that direction.

Ayumi makes a startled yelp here. The text box is blank for some reason.

I'm starting to think the PC version might be pretty buggy. The Vita version is too though, just different bugs. And I'll take "a scream isn't written out in text" over "hard OS crash, reboot entire system" any day.

*wheeze* Aah... Aah!

There were no signs of life nor detail anywhere along the shadowy figure except in those eyes. But those eyes...were very much alive. They were undeniably the eyes of a human.

Eeeeek!

Music: Spirit of my Heart

Ayumi scrambles to her feet and runs for the door as the figure starts to slowly approach her.

As if in response to my worst fears, I'd suddenly caught sight of a small girl in a black dress, standing right in front of me.

AAAAAAAAAH!!

...But not just me! There was a black shadow behind me, and it was coming closer!

*pant* *gasp* GYEH!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

I was completely enshrouded in darkness, as if whatever I'd seen had fully enveloped me.

No...! No! NO!!

Ayumi takes off running into the darkness. You can't really tell, it's very very dark.

And she trips over something.

...?!

I'd stepped on something soft and squishy. Unconsciously, I paused for a split second, pondering what it may have been...but my de facto conclusion was, I don't care -- I need to get the hell out of here!

Ayumi continues running around the room until she comes to the door.

Aah! Aahh...!
Why is it locked?! I don't remember locking it! No, please, not now! Open! OPEN!!

Feeling around along the glass door's surface, I finally found what seemed to be a handle. I tried in vain to turn it, only to realize I couldn't...because...

What?! Why won't my right hand open?!

I didn't have to ask, though. I could feel it...and see it. My right hand was being clasped shut by the tiny, ghostly hands of a white-hued child.

Gah! Huh?! Aaah!

I shook my arm violently, and the white apparition faded from sight...

...?!

Gah! Why? Why can't I open it?!

I had to get out of there. That was paramount. Clenched fist or no, I needed to leave before something worse happened. Panicked, I flung open the glass door...

Aah...?!
...Why?! This should be the way out! *pant* *wheeze* Aaaah?!

Ayumi climbs to her feet, and a ghost appears behind her.

Upon noticing it, Ayumi stumbles backwards in shock.

...!
Nggggh...

I fell back, completely sick to my stomach. My heart was pounding so hard and so fast, I was convinced I was going to have a heart attack and die. At the very least, I knew I was about to lose consciousness.

As if to confirm just how "done for" I was, my nose began bleeding profusely. I had no doubt at all anymore. This was the end.

And Ayumi collapses.

Snap out of it!
Class rep!

Kishinuma moved my worn, limp body onto the tatami flooring and carefully sat me up. I regained consciousness right away. And I was immediately met with the worried gazes of Kishinuma, Mochida, and Nakashima.

Thank goodness you're safe...

Nakashima wiped tears from her eyes.

You guys...

I was so relieved...so very relieved to see my friends...I started crying as well.

...! I-I...I had to. I just...had to.
Why?!
Kishinuma...
Satoshi...?
Let's leave this to Yoshiki.

The cause of what?!
Everything! Everything's my fault! All our friends are gone because of me! Even Sis... Even she's gone!

I was sobbing like a baby. My face must have been a mess, and my voice came out hoarse and in short bursts.

...How is this "your fault"?

How can you possibly take sole responsibility for that?!
*hic* *hic*
Hey... We're a team, Shinozaki. You know that, right?
*sniffle* Mm...

Well, if you know that...
...then don't forget it! Stop taking everything on yourself!
Let me put it to you real simple. Don't you ever think for a second...not even one second...
...that this is all your fault!
Kishinuma...
You're not to blame! Okay?! So stop blaming yourself, dammit!
Kishi...numa...
Everybody else here feels the same way too...right?
Yeah. Yoshiki's right.
He's exactly right. You shouldn't always try to take everything on by yourself.

...I just...couldn't...I couldn't do anything...
God...you are so dense! That's what I'm trying to tell you here. You did good! Just don't do it again. Not without us.
I'm...dense? That's mean...
Ah...no...that's not exactly what I meant...
*sniffle* ...Thank...you... *sniffle*

We're the ones who made it out. We have no choice but to come to terms with what happened. It's a part of us now.
We don't have to accept it, though.
Yeah. We can still fight this. We can try to set things right, even if only by the slimmest of margins.
*sniffle* *sniffle*
I think it's fair to say that we all feel the same way you do, class rep.
*sob*

...?

I didn't recognize the voice at all, and was a little perturbed that no one else seemed startled by it. It belonged to a girl I'd never seen before, wearing an unusual outfit.

You must be Ayumi Shinozaki. I'm glad to see no harm has befallen you.
Who are you...?

Shinozaki, this is the person who tipped us off about where you were headed and led us here. Her name's Aiko Niwa.

Music: Strange Proposal

As the little sister of Hinoe Shinozaki...I suppose the quickest way to explain would be to say that I'm a friend of Naho Saenoki's.
...! A friend of Naho's?! ...And you...know Sis, too?
Yes. Your sister, Hinoe, made quite a name for herself in this plane.
Ayumi. Your right hand. Are you not able to open it?
...!

My right hand had been clasped shut this whole time. I'd almost forgotten about it. I tried to open it again, but still couldn't.

...No, I can't...

Kishinuma grabbed my hand and tried to pry my fingers open.

Ghhh... OW!! That hurts!
There's no point in forcing it. It should open naturally, when the time is right. You just need to be patient.
...Oh... And what's this, now?

She attempted to open the box for just a moment, but her efforts proved to be in vain, just as mine were.

This is rather intriguing. Like your hand, it simply refuses to show us what it contains. How fascinating.

Aiko was mesmerized by the unopening box. She seemed desperate to understand what force kept it sealed -- almost giddy at the unspoken prospects of what it could mean.

Such spiritual energy... This is wonderful! May I hold onto this, if only for tonight? I believe I might be able to open it once I've returned home!
...O-Okay...

Well, it's getting late tonight. Let's talk more tomorrow, shall we? I'll come meet you after school.

Music: Salvation

...After I returned home, I stood in front of my mirror and just kept trying to open my right hand. I put every bit of strength and energy I had into it.

Nnnngghh...Oww...
Nnnnngggggghhh...!

...?!

Very small baby teeth. Two of them. The roots of each tooth were embedded deep within my palm, and I was bleeding quite a bit as a result.

Why... Why are there...baby teeth...in my hand...?

I'll likely boost the brightness a little bit for future chapters. The game is supposed to be dark, but I think the PC version may be a bit darker than the Vita version.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Ah geez, Blood Drive. This game has a lot of really weird issues, and can't be called good or enjoyable by any real stretch of the imagination in my book, but there IS some good stuff buried in there that they can't quite get rid of.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Aw man, there really is no escape from Sachiko's Wild Ride or Piss Quest. The scariest thing about these games might be the lengths the writer goes through to promote his fetish.

Also, bold choice to just straight up insert Maya Fey into this game.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 7, 2020

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Sachiko's Wild Ride or Piss Quest

I think you're contractually obliged to change the thread title now, Hamsterlady.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Music: Gentle Eyes

This was to be a significant turning point for me, and Mochida might have been a part of it from the start...except that fate seemed to have other plans for him.

Ms. Kuon, I...uh...I have something pressing I need to get to, so if you'll excuse me...
No, no, you sit back down! Satoshi, your score on that algebra quiz yesterday was rather...embarrassing, don't you think?

Like an owner training a puppy, Kuon gave him a strong glare and held up her index finger in reprimand.

Uh, but...aren't you an English teacher? Isn't algebra a little outside your field of expertise?
Rrrg! Anything's possible if you put your mind to it!

She seemed a little taken aback by that remark, puffing up her cheeks like a chipmunk in protest.

Umm...but...Ms. Kuon...
(It's startling how alike she and Ms. Yui are.)
...I'm sorry!

...?!
Ah, ah, ah!

Ms. Kuon was smiling. She was actually enjoying this!

(Who, or what, am I dealing with here?!)

Ms. Kuon was only the slightest bit taller than Mochida. This did make her taller than the average, but her arms were small and frail -- there seemed to be no way she could possibly have lifted someone of his build.

This whole situation was rather bewildering for him, and he made no attempt to hide his confusion.

Now, let's begin, shall we?
Y-Yes, Ma'am...

Ngh...
Are you all right? Does your stomach hurt?

(What the hell is wrong with me? I mean, I know I got really scared and I hyperventilated, but can that affect my body like this? Did it...change something in me? My bladder feels like it's fit to burst...)

Aiko tilted her head and stared at me, looking me up and down, seemingly judging my every mannerism...my every movement. It was making me feel really self-conscious. I covered my abdomen with both hands, as if guarding it from her gaze.

Um... Thank you very much for your help yesterday.
Think nothing of it. I only regret that your friends couldn't get to you sooner. Kisaragi Academy is quite large, so it took some time to track down Kishinuma and the others.

Kishinuma and I stared at one another, still unsure how to feel about this strange new addition to our entourage.

Music: Lying Dormant

Ayumi & Yoshiki ...?!

We'd pledged never to discuss Heavenly Host with anyone else, which we'd always assumed would be an easy promise to keep. But now, casually and out of the blue, here we were...

Well, you've been touched by the "Everafter." When people come into contact with the beyond, the color of their auras changes to something otherworldly. Something I can see.

Both Kishinuma and I were speechless. I just sat there staring at my palm...subconsciously trying to see my aura, I guess. Aiko was smiling at us triumphantly.

That's correct. I'm the one who tipped her off about Heavenly Host Elementary, in fact.
...!

The true source of the deaths and subsequent "erasures" that had turned our lives into a living nightmare was the "Sachiko Ever After" ritual posted on Naho's occult blog. I'd been a fan of Naho's for quite some time, so when I saw that, I knew I had to try it out with my friends from Class 2-9. And as a result, half of those friends were now gone...

I suppose you're aware that Naho was involved in supernatural investigations on behalf of one Mr. Kibiki, no?
I am. And I know she hasn't been seen since posting information on "Sachiko Ever After."

Not always money, mind you; sometimes I'll do my dirty work in exchange for a particular "spirit item" that perks my interest. It all depends on whom I'm dealing with. It's entirely give-and-take. They want my information, and I want their cash...or their artifacts.

Physically, Aiko was a very attractive young lady. But personality-wise, the jury was still out. Her words were calculated and emotionless, her true intentions a mystery.

One could call me an information dealer, but I prefer "intelligence agent." And Naho was a good customer. My info on Heavenly Host proved to be her last purchase, however... At the time, Naho was single-mindedly excited about Mr. Kibiki's work. She believed he could qualify for some award with the information I found for her.

...Naho...died. Together with Mr. Kibiki.

I looked down as I answered. Despite everything she'd done, the memory of Naho's passing was still painful for me. She'd become one of Heavenly Host's lost souls and gone completely berserk. In the end, I was the one who finished her off.

...I see. I assumed as much.

Aiko seemed completely unaffected by this revelation. Her tone remained even and her expression cold and distant.

...And you're okay with that?!
I do feel sorry for her, don't get me wrong. But I had a strong feeling things would end this way. There's no point in lamenting that for which I was fully prepared.

Kishinuma continued to stare intently at Aiko with his own brand of cold, emotionless eyes. He was oddly quiet, though his anger was palpable. I clenched my fist.

What about this girl? I believe she performed the ritual alongside Naho. Did you see her there as well?

...No... I can't say I've ever met her.
I see.

Aiko's expression was so unfaltering, you could carve it in stone. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to say something.

...If you're calling Naho your "customer"...I don't think you can really say you were her friend.

My voice was breaking with rage. But even if that hadn't been the case, my face must've read like a book. This icy bitch may have had only one expression, but I sure didn't.

It's an unbreakable bond of trust, like one would have for a partner. And that's not always something you can say about friendship, now, is it?
...That's...

I had no idea what to say. It seemed like Aiko was used to this sort of thing; her response felt carefully rehearsed, like a sales pitch. Finally, Kishinuma broke his silence.

Hey. I do want to thank you for helping us save Shinozaki yesterday. Really. But...spreading dangerous information just to pay the bills? How the hell can you sleep at night?

Anything can be harmful in the wrong hands, after all. Why, that cup over there could be used to kill a man just as easily as any knife.
The... The hell it could! That's bullshit and you know it!
Hmm... Ayumi? Do you agree?
Aiko... I'm sorry, but I...hate the way you think. I feel it's...irresponsible.

Hee hee. Well, now, it seems I've come to be regarded as something of a villain here. I can't say this is new or unexpected, but it never ceases to be disheartening.

Aiko quickly shrugged off her sudden "outburst," and was back to her usual icy self.

...It doesn't matter now, anyway. We destroyed Heavenly Host. It's gone.

An awkward tension filled the room. Or at least our table.

Aiko produced a thick, hard-bound file folder from the light blue bag she'd brought with her. She opened it to reveal several documents of a questionable nature. Among them were what looked to be a family tree, as well as numerous pages featuring black magic symbology or images that looked like tree branches.

...?
(Black magic spell charts...? And is that...the Shinozaki family tree...?)
You may find what I'm about to tell you a bit shocking.

Aiko was looking directly into my eyes now. Her gaze was fixed, intense and unblinking.

Huh? What do you mean?

...?!
Take a look at this.

Aiko placed a black and white photo on the table. It wasn't the clearest of pictures, but there was no doubt that the location it depicted was Heavenly Host Elementary.

In the picture, a small girl could be seen standing in one of those all-too-familiar hallways, holding a hatchet in her right hand.

It's... It's Heavenly Host!
Where...did this come from?
We have confirmation, then. It's...a "thoughtograph" I've taken. I didn't have the power to produce a clearer image, but...this is the current state within Heavenly Host.
...I...don't understand. What am I looking at?!

Let's start at the beginning. First...the red box from yesterday. After some time, I was able to open it...and I found these "spirit items" contained within.

The box I'd found on Makina's futon... Inside it were, apparently, two stones resembling "magatama" -- comma-shaped ceremonial objects from Japanese antiquity.

Also included in the box were several more roughly hewn stones, as well as a lining along the edges consisting of crumpled pieces of thin, white paper.

Aiko now held one stone in each hand, and was motioning them toward one another as if to drive that point home.

"Spirit items" are, in the simplest terms, items which have been infused with the thoughts and feelings of the dead. Those who bear such objects will be visited by the spirits within them, or at the very least be forever privy to their memories and earthly laments. It's a wonderful thing. ...I may not quite look the part, but I'm actually quite an avid collector of spirit items.

Kishinuma and I briefly locked eyes again. We shared the same look of bewilderment. Aiko's personality was much more twisted than either of us had initially perceived it to be.

I tried to get a fix on this little girl's thoughts...and in doing so, I heard a vengeful cry, and saw an image of a girl with braided hair in an abandoned school building. My curiosity having been piqued, I took out this camera...

At this, she produced an old instant camera and placed it on the table in front of us.

...and tried to take a photo of the image in my mind. The result is that shot. This particular spirit item only allows me to produce images from the exact moment in time when the picture is taken. The past and future alike are beyond its reach.

I examined the photograph in greater detail, and a chill ran down my spine. There was absolutely no denying what it depicted.

...No...

I was actually shaking.

I believe the collapse was halted. Perhaps right on the brink, even. Maybe because of the person to whom that voice I heard belongs.

Aiko motioned toward the photo in my hand.

It could even be the girl in that picture. I wonder who she is...
*gasp*

Goddamn! You really think that hellhole is still around?!

Kishinuma leaned forward. The conversation was clearly beginning to engage him a lot more than it had been.

Heavenly Host Elementary...or rather, the dimensional space that took on the form of Heavenly Host Elementary...fascinated me from the moment I introduced it to Naho.

And the reason for the thread title has been made clear. They're gonna say that word a lot in this game.

...Though ordinarily, one tends to think of there being only this world and the next...
A new...Nirvana...?

Yeah...
And of her clinic, the Shinozaki estate, wherein the grimoire known as the "Book of Shadows" was located?
...! Y-Yeah...

Why... How could she know about that?! A million thoughts, a million questions were running through my head. I was speechless. All I could do was sit there and hear her out.

Video: Seiji

Seiji: Hrrrrrrrrng...!

It was like a muffled scream, or a moan of agony: the sound you make when you want to make a sound, but are barely able to.

Seiji: HrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRNNNNGG!!

...That one was a little more forceful. Accompanied by thrashing, it caused the nearby table light to fall over and roll along the ground.

This was Yoshie Shinozaki's clinic. And Yoshie herself was on top of her husband, holding him down with both of her hands. She continued her Shinto purification chant. To prevent Seiji from biting off his own tongue, he had been gagged with a towel. Needless to say, he wasn't looking particularly well.

Not far from where this was occurring, Sachiko stood aghast, trembling as she watched the proceedings with hesitant, sidelong glances.

Seiji: HHHRRRRRRRNNNNGG!!

Seiji, still collapsed on the floor, was clearly suffering. His body was bent into a most unnatural shape, and he was fervently clawing at his neck.

I beseech thee, in the name of the divine virtues of the gods gathered here, to wash away the sins we've committed and the impurities that dwell within our minds and bodies...

Seiji: HHHRRRRRRRNNNNGG!!

Sachiko's father screamed through his gag, foam beginning to froth out from its edges. He was going into cyanosis.

Worse still, some of the women had traditionally blackened teeth, giving their smiles an unintentionally sinister edge.

Music: Lying Dormant

The atmosphere within the room was heavy, as if spirits occupied every empty corner, dancing and flitting about freely and joyously.

Seiji: *gasp* ...GGWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Seiji's body sharply bent and began convulsing.

Mioya no Mitama! I beg of you! Please do not take him!

Her great grandmother, Seira -- the head of the Shinozaki family -- was among the black-teethed women laughing joyously at Seiji's suffering.

Daddy! Daddy!

Seiji: Agh...ggh...gghah...ahhh...

His voice began to weaken and his convulsions began to lose strength. Finally, the last spark of life had left his body. His eyes rolled back into his head and all movement ceased.

Sachiko looked up, eyes glazed over with tears.

*sob* *sob*

Yoshie, too, was stricken with grief and despair.

*sob* *sob*

So she turned to the forbidden book...an item she and her family had been protecting for generations from those who might misuse it.

VIDEO ENDS HERE

She must've cared for him so deeply, she would've literally done anything to see him again. No matter the cost to her own immortal soul.

Aiko stared deeply into my eyes, seemingly fishing for a reaction to her tale.

But then...what happened next was almost beyond belief...

I continued listening, unknowingly stroking the wound on my thigh as unpleasant memories of my own foolish run-in with black magic resurfaced.

By which, of course, I mean...
*gasp*

I instantly knew what she was going to say.

There, one could coexist with the dead for all eternity. It was a new dimension cut from the netherworld itself, forcibly born unto the world of the living.

Yoshie must've lost half her sanity right there. She tried to leave her only child, Sachiko, in the real world, while living with her husband's soul in the new Nirvana.
...The "Land of Corpses"...
However...this Nirvana had a mind of its own. Yoshie couldn't possibly control it...Shinozaki or no.

Black magic has its own "blowback," of sorts. Her husband's soul was split apart and scattered in all directions. And Yoshie's life, too, was on the verge of being snuffed out. She knew she'd made a mistake. She deeply regretted it. And as she took what she could've only assumed to be her dying breath...

Sachiko...?

This action had saved her mother's life, certainly, but death would've surely been preferable. Picking herself up, Yoshie rushed to her daughter's side in tears.

*cough* *cough* ...Mommy... Don't die, Mommy! *sob*

Both parent and child were bawling, pain mixing with relief mixing with pain again.

*sob* *sob*

The little girl buried her face into Yoshie's bosom and just cried and cried. Yoshie grasped her tightly in both arms, tears streaming down her face uncontrollably.

I'm sorry...Sachi... ...I'm so sorry... Mommy was wrong... Mommy has you. So from now on, Mommy will never leave you. She'll never even think of leaving you again!
*sob* *sob*

This means her power is greater than Yoshie's. It had to be, of course, for her to house an entire dimension within her body.

Aiko took a big, noisy sip from her coffee mug.

At the time, she must've been the strongest practitioner of dark arts in all the world...little girl or no.
Yet despite that, she wound up dying.
That's right. The same day Yoshie fell and died, Sachiko disappeared. That was fifty years ago now.
They were both killed by the principal.
...Just as I suspected. The principal's heinous actions are to blame, then, for resurrecting the new Nirvana within Sachiko...and creating the closed spaces we know as "Heavenly Host Elementary."

Yet even then, with Sachiko reborn as a spirit in that realm, she was still all-powerful, seemingly continuing to exert complete control over it.
I guess that's why she was able to manifest so many different horrible things in there...

This was all starting to make a sick sort of sense. The pieces were falling into place, and painting an absolutely awful picture. I shuddered to myself as I considered it.

...It should've just disappeared. This world would be better off without it.

This entire conversation was a roller coaster of emotions for me. At this point, I was just angry. Angry at everyone involved in this whole ordeal, myself included.

Now, then. If I may, I'd like to discuss something a bit...outlandish with you.
...Okay.

Ayumi & Yoshiki: ...?!

That certainly got our attention. We both perked our heads up immediately.

There are actually a number of useful magics listed in the "Book of Shadows." Aside from the spell Yoshie used to create the new Nirvana, there's also a spell of revival.
...!

Nakashima and I knew about that one all too well...

...Huh?

Kishinuma seemed a bit more confused than he probably should've been, though I suspect the look on my face may have had something to do with that.

I'd performed that spell. The very one Aiko was describing. It took hours, failed miserably and killed my sister. All at once, the guilt returned. I lowered my head solemnly.

Aiko grinned at me, and I had this sinking suspicion it was because she somehow knew what I was thinking...though I couldn't be sure, and I certainly didn't know how she would.

You'll do whatever it takes to resurrect your dead friends...no?
All you have to do is find that book and cast that spell once more within Heavenly Host Elementary. Your chances of success would be much, much higher there, don't you think?
Hold on! Do you have any idea what you're saying?! What happens if things get even wor--?

I didn't exactly mean to interrupt Kishinuma, but quite honestly, I didn't even realize he was talking. I was too...focused on what Aiko had just said.

Hee hee.

Aiko tilted her head at me, that same wry smile creeping across her face. She'd gone from cold and emotionless to knowing and expressive in a mere instant.

...I don't think...we really believed what was happening to us. It was like a dream. What we saw was impossible. What we experienced...was impossible. I thought I was going insane! It shouldn't have been possible. We shouldn't have done it. I just... I want to put all of this behind me!
But it was real.

Aiko pointed to the scar on my neck, then went one step further and lightly brushed it with her hand.

...!

See? You came in contact with something ordinary people could never even imagine. Do you really think you can just turn tail and run from that now?

I looked down again, trying my best to avoid Aiko's gaze.

Tch...
Do you really think...I can...do it?

I could tell, though, that she was smiling at me. It was that same expression...her new standard.

Hmm? ...I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Can you be more specific?
...Can I...really...
Yes, yes? What is it? I want to hear you say it. What, exactly, is it that you wish to accomplish?
...Can I bring...everybody...back...?

Aiko patted my head, as one might a dog's after a successfully performed trick.

What the grimoire produces are miracles, spawned from the wisdom of the witches. And these miracles hold the power to bend fate...even if that fate is set in stone, so to speak.
You are a descendant of the House of Shinozaki, a family of immensely powerful practitioners of magic. And since Hinoe is no longer with us, this is something only you can do.

My confidence was being bolstered by the minute -- though in retrospect, that was likely Aiko's aim. Nonetheless, if there were still something I could do for my friends...

...you're no longer able to travel to Heavenly Host by way of the "Sachiko in the Everafter" ritual, now that Sachiko is gone...correct?
Yeah, that's right. That's what Yuki said, anyway. ...Er, Yuki Kanno, a girl from the school...
Hee hee.

That's where these come in.

They house an exceptional amount of spiritual energy. As one would expect, given that they're spirit items from the Shinozaki line. The voice I heard told me about them.
They're called "Everafter Stones."
"Everafter Stones"?

I leaned forward despite myself. The name sent a shiver down my spine, but now that I'd heard it, I had to know more.

These two are one. Fit them together like puzzle pieces and chant, "Nirvana, I summon the dead!"...and all who are in direct or indirect contact with them will be spirited away.

It's the same when you return.

She tossed the stone she'd been holding in her right hand into her left, where it clacked together with the other.

Strange, isn't it? This girl taught me the technique herself.

Aiko gazed longingly at the stones. She was clearly utterly enamored by them. It seemed as if they were the key factors in unleashing her newfound emotional expressiveness.

...But my focus was elsewhere. Without a doubt, the items Aiko now held in her left hand were extraordinarily dangerous. Possibly the most dangerous, horrific objects in the entire world.

However...

She slowly removed it, producing an old black and white photograph. When had she taken that? It was the same photograph I'd seen at Makina Shinozaki's house the previous night.

It depicted a young Yoshie, alongside her mother and Makina.

When Yoshie was in her teens, she adored her Aunt Makina, and would often go over to her place for a visit. The Shinozaki family, world-famous for their spiritual abilities...and this was when it all started.
The surviving elder of the Yagoura Society felt it was too dangerous to leave these items with the Martubas, so he came here intending to steal the Book of Shadows away from them. But he felt it would be even more dangerous for the book and stones to remain together, so while he gave the book to Yoshie for safekeeping, he gave the stones to Makina.
...?

Two-way travel to and from that dimension is now possible. It's no longer a one-way road. A new spiritual hotspot -- something not of this world -- has been born!

She thrust the Everafter Stones toward me triumphantly and continued to make her pitch, growing more excited by the second. I was legitimately speechless. What could I say?

Don't you see? That place is a gold mine! People can no longer claim the world of spirits is fake, or that spiritual investigators like myself are lying. It's all different now. Occult research can be legitimized!

Ayumi & Yoshiki: ...?!

Kishinuma and I both reacted to this preposterous suggestion with a start. She couldn't possibly be serious...could she?

I've deleted the proxy doll data from Naho's blog, so no one will be able to jump that way anymore. Only I possess the means to enter that place now. Hee hee...

What could she possibly have been thinking? I wanted to stop her at once. I wanted to take those stones and break them, right there, on the spot, before anyone else got hurt.

But...I...

And you... You seek your friends' spirits, do you not? Well, reinvestigating that dimension could help you reach that goal. Our destinations are the same, Ayumi.

Aiko leaned in as she spoke. Her breath, scented with the sugary sweetness of the extravagant desserts we'd been eating, tickled my nose.

So what do you say? Let's go back to Heavenly Host Elementary together, one more time...shall we? I really wanted to conduct tours using the paper dolls, but missed my chance. Now, though, I have these lovely stones! I feel this must be fate...and I can make a business of it!

Aiko seemed like she was on top of the world. But that just made me all the more disgusted with her.

On the other hand, she was offering me a chance to save our lost friends. And however remote that chance may have been, it stacked the odds frustratingly in her favor. I still couldn't just say yes. But I also couldn't say no. Honestly, I resented Aiko for putting me in this position. I glared at her for a moment before I said anything.

...!

I'd almost forgotten Kishinuma was there. Sudden waves of guilt washed over me. He had an absolutely incredulous look on his face. I couldn't bear to see it, so I looked away.

We don't know where the Book of Shadows is, anyway. Plus, how do we know those stones can actually do what you say they can? There's no way you could've already tried it, right?

Aiko smiled. She oriented the two stones so they'd form a perfect Yin-Yang symbol, then slotted them together once again.

...!
You gotta be kidding me!

Aiko continued smiling and looked directly into my eyes.

Hee hee. No need to decide now. Think it over. Yes, it's true, the full range of these stones' power has yet to be tested, so their true danger is as of yet undetermined...

...but they're from the home of Makina Shinozaki, a prominent branch on the Shinozaki tree. Their authenticity and the credibility of my intelligence is hard to dispute!
...Hell of a thing. Can I see them?

Hard to believe this is what was in that box... You...weren't planning on keeping these stones all to yourself, were you?

Aiko seemed taken aback by the question. Way to go, Kishinuma! You managed to catch her off guard.

Aiko seemed to ponder these words for a moment.

Hee hee. Well, then let's make sure neither of us can go by ourselves. We'll each keep one of the two stones.
... All right. Give me one, Kishinuma.
Sure thing.

There.

He then casually handed the pouch back to its rightful owner.

Aiko flashed us the biggest, most gregarious smile I think I'd ever seen.

And when we do find it...you will go with me, won't you, Ayumi?

I closed my eyes and gave something like a half-hearted half-nod, lowering my head without raising it again. It was interpreted as a yes, but I'm not sure I meant it that way.

Good. That being the case...it's on me today!

No, I'll pay for mine.

I took out my wallet. I had no desire to owe this person anything. Aiko just smiled.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot... I'd like you to have this.

Aiko handed her "thoughtograph" to me.

And with that, the screen fades to black and this extremely long scene finally comes to an end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why does their teacher look like she's the same age as they are? :psyduck:

And why is the piss thing still going on?!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 14, 2020

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

And why is the piss thing still going on?!

Makoto Kedouin is a loving weirdo and I'm pretty sure his staff have actively made fun of him for it

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
One of two things is true:
1) Aiko is lying through her teeth and has a much more nefarious agenda than overpriced spirit realm tours.
2) The plot is dumb as poo poo.

I can't yet rule out #2.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Smells like teen piss" may have been a more appropriate thread name. I like how there's just an overall slide in quality as the series goes on, and a steady escalation of people needing to pee. If the series kept going, would it just be the whole cast complaining that they need to pee?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

You can see how less "Grounded" the series goes (as grounded as a supernatural horror game can be)

First game: cursed spooky school, ghosts, one confirmed psychic and one sensitive but the rest of the cast is fairly normal.
Second game: More witches, hints of actual witch societies, said psychic is a crazy psychopath.
Third Game: Not even in the meat of the plot and we already get mysterious EGL-dressed ladies and a guy in a weird hoodie alternating between vaguely foreshadowing and exposition-dumping and dragging people into the conspiracy, and a loving late 90s-00s anime wacky rich lady is our TA.

And :sigh: how many times is the writer going to bring up that apparently Ayumi can no longer piss despite a full bladder?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a major plot point.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Or, even worse, a gameplay mechanic.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
NOTE: There's a couple of fanservicey CGs in this update. You may want to avoid reading it at work. Also don't read Corpse Party at work, period.

Music: The Time for Girls

After their long, long conversation with Aiko Niwa, Ayumi and Yoshiki walk home together.

Me too.
Suzumoto, Shinohara, Morishige and Ms. Yui... As soon as I'm done with those four... I'm breaking this stone.
Yeah, I'm right there with you. Better make sure to break the other one, though, too, while you're at it.

...?! Kishi...numa...?
She doesn't know what it's like in that school. I mean, she was actually getting excited about going there! So I...helped myself when she wasn't looking.
Kishinuma...! That's amazing... You're terrible!

The whole situation with Suzumoto and the others...should probably just be left alone, don't you think? You've gone through so much already, and have come really close to dying...and I don't think any of them...not Suzumoto, Ms. Yui, Shinohara or Morishige...would want that.
But...that might...not be true.
Rrg... Dammit, Shinozaki, just stop! Do you know how much Satoshi and Nakashima have been worrying about you?!
...! I'm...sorry. But Kishinuma, please, you have to understand! I just need a little more... I need you to humor me for just a little bit longer, okay? Please, just let me do this!

...Okay.

It'll be all right, you know.
...!

I turned my gaze up to meet Kishinuma's. My eyes must have looked like saucers...windows into a mind full of worries, ideas and fears spurred by this unexpected turn of events.

...I may not be able to offer much, but I'm confident I can at least protect you from harm.

Kishinuma patted me on the head reassuringly as he said this. And I had no idea how to react. I felt warm and safe, but also a little annoyed, much like a younger sister being simultaneously comforted and scolded by her big brother. All I could say in response was...

...Okay.

I could feel my eyes still bulging from my head, opened as far as my eyelids would allow. I imagined how I must have appeared to Kishinuma, and was momentarily embarrassed.

Mm... Okay.

We're put into control and can wander around a bit in front of the convenience store.

...Though on closer inspection, it's from a mannequin.

This house is to the west, and Ayumi waxes philosophical for a bit about it for some reason.

We can also cross the street, via the nearby walkway.

When you graduate, transfer or get married, you're always still able to see one another as long as you're both alive. But in this reality...it's as if Suzumoto never even existed.

That's about all the interesting stuff in this area, so we head back to Yoshiki.

Come on, then. Let's go.

The screen fades to black, and we cut to Ayumi's house.

Music: Girl Date

Ayumi's Mother: Welcome back!

A Tokyo map was displayed on the television screen, marked with two red dots. The marquee at the bottom provided the headline: "Sudden violent deaths remain unexplained."

Ayumi's Mother: Dinner will still be a while yet. Maybe you should take your bath first, Ayumi.

Okay.

Ayumi's Mother: Hey! Socks!

...Ah!

This was a bad habit of mine, so ingrained within me that it had almost become ritual. Mom did well to have caught it so quickly. I grabbed my socks and left the room.

I set my bag down in my room, quickly and automatically grabbed my sweatpants and spats, and made a beeline for the bathroom.

When I got there, I threw my socks into the hamper with purpose, then began peeling off my school uniform. As I observed myself in the mirror, I began to murmur...

Blowback... If I'm not careful, the same thing could happen again...

Those burn marks on my neck and arms were eternal reminders of what I'd been through at the Shinozaki estate. I could clearly remember the agony I went through as they'd formed. I remember watching them sear into my flesh out of thin air, blood spurting from them as if I'd been knifed. I only survived because Hinoe sacrificed herself in my place.

...I have to do it...

I tried to force self-confidence into my expression. When it wouldn't come, I slapped my cheeks hard. It was in me somewhere; it just needed to be yanked out into the open.

You have to do your best, dammit!

I lowered my head into the water ever-so-slightly, blowing bubbles in the water with my mouth. The pros and cons of returning to Heavenly Host were racing through my head.

This is the power...to challenge fate itself. To rewrite it. And I'm a Shinozaki, so...this is something only I can do. I have to show everyone that I can bring them back!

...Huh...? *gasp* EEEEEEEEEKK!!

This was just about the last thing I expected. I couldn't help but scream. It was that same boy who'd found his way into my room lasttime, wearing the exact same clothes. He spoke to me without once turning his head to look in my direction.

...So, you know about the Nirvana now. You finally pieced it all together, and realized what you have to do.

Wh-Wh-Wh-Wh-Why... Why, and how...?!
Hiding one's presence is about as basic a spell as they come. There's no need for the blown gasket. As for why I'm here, it's to remind you. Remind you of who you are, and what you have to do. Your bloodline carries with it a certain...responsibility, after all.
Y-Y-You...
...Hmm?

My face had to have been as red as fire by this point.

...Shut the gently caress up, titless! Who you callin' a pervert when you got the body of a grade schooler?! Ain't nobody gonna wanna see a washboard like that!
Wh...WHAT?!

My head felt like it now housed all the blood from my entire body. I imagined myself white as a sheet below the neck, and flashing red above it, on the verge of a megaton explosion.

Here.

He handed me the thoughtograph from Aiko.

Wh-When did you...? ...What are you trying to pull?!
Just look at it, you blind bitch. Here. Right the gently caress here.
...!

I grabbed the photograph from his hands as aggressively as I could muster, then backed away slightly, putting as much distance between me and him as humanly possible.

It was a hard-bound book, around the size of a typical desk dictionary. And though I could barely make it out, there was a certain...aura...to it that looked an awful lot like a face.

...God, it is...!

...you can make your wish come true.

He stuck out his hand and pointed directly at my face, then slowly lowered it down toward my abdomen. He was now inexplicably pointing at my lower body. But as soon as I started to get self-conscious, he flipped his hand over and opened it, exposing his palm.

There was another piece of 10-yen gum cupped there -- the same kind as before. I'm not sure why I took it, but I did, without even thinking. As soon as the exchange was made, he immediately turned toward the bathroom window, apparently preparing to make his escape.

My questions seemed to stop him in his tracks.

Aren't you...going to explain all this?

I wasn't about to drop my guard, especially given the obvious advantage this boy had over me. But he didn't seem like he'd come to attack me or anything. Rather, it was almost like...he was trying to lead me somewhere. To show me the way.

I can't answer that just yet.

He smiled once more as he leaped out the bathroom window.

...I was kind of dumbfounded. I had no idea how to process what had just happened.

Mom barged into the bath, brandishing a broom. It was probably the first thing she could find with which to fend off poten- tial intruders. Too bad she hadn't been just a moment quicker.

All I could do was squat on the cold bathroom floor and stare at her with hollow eyes. There was no way to adequately explain any of this to her.

Meanwhile...

Music: Gentle Eyes

It was late at night, and I still hadn't bothered changing out of my school uniform. I needed food, though, so I decided to hit up the convenience store on my way back home.

I'd picked up a bottle of olives, a pack of tofu, some mineral water and other various things to keep me going for a while.

The hell's this?!

I grabbed one off the shelf at random and looked at the company logo on the back side: "PL Promotions Co., Inc."

Whenever there'd be a strange death or something, the public would be all over it, downright excited about the possibility that it might be supernatural in nature.

It was all over TV shows and magazines, too, with independent researchers checking out spiritual hot spots and giving fancy new age advice to people, just to boost ratings or sales. And now, this. Exorcism merchandise, next to prepackaged cupcakes and ready-made dinners.

Get your talismans at the corner store, now, huh?
(Not too long ago, I'd have made fun of all this crap. Guess it's not such a laughing matter anymore, though. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd pick up one of these things and wonder if it actually works...)

The item I was examining happened to be one of the "spirit talisman magnets." Seemingly the last one in stock.

Old Lady: Harumph!

Wha...?!

Old Lady: *grunt*

And I just stood there, staring blankly at her as she walkedaway.

*sigh* The hell?!

Now we're in control of Yoshiki at the very same convenience store we were at earlier.

I like this flavor text because "concerned about recycling" is absolutely a character trait Yoshiki would have.

There's trash bags here behind this gigantic staircase. Trust me.

We can't explore as much as Yoshiki. Trying to continue west past the trash or up the stairs onto the walkway is met with this dialog.

So we head off in the apparent direction of Yoshiki's home...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hey, why don't we just NOT go back to the cursed school full of murderous ghosts?
Okay.

Surely nothing bad will happen as a result of this not being the outcome of that conversation. :shepicide:

Oh hey, I didn't know Arthur Muldoon came from a Japanese family.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 20, 2020

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
So the female lead undresses and takes a bath. Fan-service pics ensue. Not exactly high art, but this is a series called Corpse Party and it has never really aspired to classiness. Alright. And then a verbally abusive male ghost/warlock/whatever shows up and tells her nobody wants her because she has no breasts and looks like a little girl. But at least his eyes are sincere and kind at the end!

There's... quite a bit to unpack there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

At this point, I feel like the gore will be more tasteful than the build-up to the plot.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I also wanted to say, a propos nothing in particular, thanks for LPing this series, OP. They're certainly an odd bunch, with all kinds of problems, but there's a sort of grotesque, macabre humor underneath it all that's weirdly interesting. I don't really know how to be more specific than that; but in any case, your efforts are appreciated!

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I love the telling not showing. "He was kind of crude and called me names but he was really a good person deep inside you guys, wink wink signpost".

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'm sorry for the pause in updates. I'm moving and it's been a lot more stressful than I expected, making it difficult to find the time or energy to put together SSLPs. This LP is not abandoned, and I even have an update written, I just need a chance to do the all time-consuming technical work on it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Take your time. We moved back in with my father last June to help take care of him before he passed away (in the hospital, not at home) and we're still trying to finish unpacking.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I've waited years for this LP, I can wait a little longer!

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

:same:

Be safe and take care of yourself, Hamsterlady. Us internet randos can wait.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dont lie its also because you need to work up the stomach to do the update and deal with this "plot"

still great work so far and take it easy, I think everyones dealing with poo poo this year so far

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

We join Yoshiki, who's walking home after a long day.

...! Shinozaki! What are you doing here this late? I thought you went home!
I did. Sorry to...accost you like this. ...You just get off work?
Yeah, I had the late shift today. ...Wait, don't tell me you've been waiting here for me this whole time, have you?! Man, I'm really sorry...
No, it's fine.

It's not fine at all. You're shivering! ...Uhh, you can come in, if you want. I'll get you some hot tea or something.
...Thanks.

Music: Light

Shinozaki immediately sat down on my bed and began sipping the tea I'd made for her. She was holding it in both hands -- probably less for politeness and more just to warm them up.

*sip*...*gulp*... ...This is really good...
Isn't it? It's from my sister. She sends it to me all the time. Says it's made from really good leaves.

They do construction at this hour?
Yeah, when it gets close to the end of the year, they do all kinds of pointless work out there. It's like this every night. I've been sleeping like crap because of it.
That sounds really annoying. *sip*

Time passed us by at a snail's pace. Shinozaki continued to sip her tea, never once removing either hand from the warm cup.

She definitely had something on her mind. Something had happened. It was written all over her face.

Huh-uh. ...Oh, don't worry, they know I'm here.
...They...do...?
Yeah. *sip*

...Shinozaki was in my room. I'd dreamed about this before, but never thought it would actually happen.

Hmm?
Ah, well...uhh...
...I just kinda want to know, like...what you're doing here this late. Did something...happen?
...You...could say that.

The screen quickly fades out and back in.

I was half acting, as admittedly, this wasn't entirely unexpected. Shinozaki may be a lot of things, but unpredictable is not among them.

...Please?
So you came here to get this stone from me...

I took out the Everafter Stone I'd stolen from Aiko.

What if you get stuck again and can't get out? You'll die!
And if you die over there, your existence will be erased over here. You'll be gone!

I tried to be as strong and commanding as I could possibly muster. I needed her to realize what a bad idea this was.

Save them?
The grimoire... The Book of Shadows. I know where it is.
...That book you were talking about earlier?
Yeah. Here, look.

She had that "thoughtograph" thing from Aiko with her, and was pointing to the little girl's left arm.

It's been staring us in the face this whole time. Look, in her hand. That...is the Book of Shadows.

I didn't have to look very hard to see it. But...

...No. But, I don't think it could be anything else.
You don't think...?
We just have to go to Heavenly Host...and get it back. Then we can save everyone's souls from the Nirvana. ...We can finally resurrect Suzumoto and the others.

...! ...

Shinozaki shook her head furiously, like some sort of violent shudder. It almost seemed like she was trying to shake some- thing loose from her mind.

But...can these rocks actually take us back to Heavenly Host? That girl...Aiko Niwa, was it? There was something just not quite right about her, don't you think?
Well, we won't know that until we test them, now, will we? But if they do work, the souls of all our friends are on the line, and I believe we have a real chance of saving them!
(Shinozaki...)

Anyone could tell at a glance that she'd just recovered from a serious accident. She sounded so self-assured, so self-confident, but it was hard to take any of that seriously.

This was the first time in my life I'd found myself tearing up over someone, and not being embarrassed that I was crying. Honestly, it surprised even me how deeply I cared about Shinozaki, and how much I just...didn't want to lose her. My eyes were getting hot and glazed, and I felt utterly helpless.

I can't talk about this with anyone else. But...you trust me, Kishinuma, don't you?

I was at a complete loss for words. I found myself literally scratching my head, trying to come up with a good answer.

This was Shinozaki, and she had come to me for moral support. For encouragement. For peace of mind. It was really the first time she'd ever truly relied on me. Ever truly counted on me.

Dammit. You know what we went through in that piece of poo poo school. There's no telling what might be waiting for us over there now. But if you're sure about this...we should do it.
...!
Honestly, I have no idea what the hell you're thinking. But I promised you one thing, and I intend to deliver on that.
...What one thing?

Shinozaki and I stared into each other's eyes for a moment, each of us trying to figure the other out.

Don't worry. Everything'll be okay.

I tried to force a smile.

...?!

I couldn't tell if she was mad, or happy, or what. Her eyes were either like daggers or saucers; I couldn't really make out which.

Maybe she'd come here expecting me to actively shoot down her ideas or something. Maybe she thought she'd be alone in this. Maybe...she'd figured out what I was up to. Or...maybe she'd been expecting me to say exactly what I'd said to her. And maybe it...annoyed her?

Either way, tears began to explode from her eyes, so quickly that red bags were forming under them almost instantly.

...? Shinozaki? Are you okay?

She seemed like she was trying her hardest not to let herself cry, though it wasn't exactly working.

Huh? I did?
...Yeah. ...You don't remember?

She paused, seemingly waiting for me to answer. But I had no idea what to say, and absolutely didn't want to say the wrong thing...so I just stood there like a dolt.

Finally, she turned back to face me, her tears mostly dry. Still a little self-conscious about crying, though, she kept her eyes closed, a tell-tale frown belying her confidence.

There was obviously something between the lines for me to read here, but hell if I knew what it was.

Huh? ...Oh, okay.

Shinozaki removed the Everafter Stone from her pocket and placed it squarely in my hand.

Outside my window, I could still hear the sound of construction vehicles driving by. It was now or never...

Haaah!

Music: Beyond Escape

*gasp* ...H-Hey!

I'd timed it perfectly, and my aim couldn't have been better. Another truck was just about to pass by, and the stones were immediately in its path. The sound I heard next was a satisfying crunch. It was the sound of delicate, glass-like rocks breaking into tiny pieces.

Aaah! ...Ah...ahhh...

Aaaaaaah...!
...Like I said, I'll protect you, no matter what I have to... ...gaaaaah?!

I couldn't even finish my sentence before Shinozaki's palm slammed my face with an incredible force. The loud smack of flesh on flesh echoed throughout the room.

The side of my face was immediately in pain. I began rubbing it with my hand as I looked into Shinozaki's eyes.

Her face was filled with tears and her nose was running. She was breathing so heavily, her shoulders were bobbing up and down.

...I never should have trusted you!
Shinozaki, listen, I--
I was wrong to believe you'd help me! I should have known better!

She was absolutely hysterical with rage.

It was my turn to fire back now. I was certain I'd done the right thing.

How do you even know for sure the book is there?! And how did you intend to get it back from that girl once you got there?! Going over there without a plan would be certain death!
I hate you! ...You're an rear end! A delinquent! A worthless piece of poo poo!
*sob*

I stood back up again, rubbing my cheek where I'd been slapped.

A worthless piece of poo poo? ...Owwww...

Please! Please! God, where are they?! *whimper*

We're put in control and run forward until we see a shining spot on the ground.

Video: Return
Video lasts for remainder of update.

...Found them!
...! They're okay?! *pant* But...they were run over by a truck!

*gasp* ...You...

You can make the jump now. You're so much more than those filthy peasants... You can surpass them. You can interject your own will into the fabric of this world.
Are you... Are you on my side, then?

Kishinuma...!
I'm miles ahead of this trash.
Huh? Who the hell...?
(...It's that guy I passed...in front of Shinozaki's place...)

Shinozaki, give them to me!
No!
This has to stop! You can't go over there! How many times do you think you can cheat death before death wins?!

Hand them over, dammit!
NO!!

Music: Beyond Escape

With a swift flick of his arm, The boy sends Yoshiki flying into a nearby wall.

Ggghah?! *cough*...ggh...!

Hmph. Bad dog.

You asked if I was on your side.
I am. I'm your guardian.

...! You were...my sister's...?
Good girl.

Then let's get started. Let me see those stones.

Ayumi hands the stones over to Misuto.

...!
Hold on tight to me. And here... A good luck charm. Don't lose it.
Uh...

...I'm sorry. You don't need to worry about me anymore.
Shinozaki...
Haha. You should live the life of a peasant. It's only fitting.
Stop.
Heh.

...SHINOZAKI!!

The world spins for a moment, and...

...they're gone.

Shinozaki... Shinozaki!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
At least Shinozaki has some sense. Obviously there'd be no game if he succeeded, but there's no reason to believe anything good will come of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

malkav11 posted:

At least Shinozaki has some sense. Obviously there'd be no game if he succeeded, but there's no reason to believe anything good will come of this.

You mean Kishinuma. Shinozaki is Ayumi's last name.

And man, how stupid can you get? She let her grief take over and failed to use her goddamn head at all.