Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't wait for the ghost of the ghost of Sachiko to show up as the main villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's really hard to be sympathetic to Ayumi given she nearly died, nearly got Naomi killed, and her sister had her head pop the last time she tried to resurrect the deceased friends, and going to trust some shady rear end in a top hat because he says he knows her sister.

Yoshiki shouldn't have tricked her, but it's very understandably why he yeeted the drat stones onto the road.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I feel like so far this game has been 90% cutscene, so I can't wait to walk around the school again!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Music: Broken Memory

Nnng...

...This stench... This heaviness...

It's Heavenly Host...

*gasp* The Everafter Stones... *pant* *pant* ...They're gone!
What do I do now?! Misuto must still have them... But...without them...

Ggh... Misuto!
(I'm...all alone in this school. Again...)

(...No... I can't start panicking. He's here somewhere. I'll find him. This is just how it happened last time, too.)

Ayumi turns on her phone and uses it as a light, because despite leaving her house with the express intent of going to Heavenly Host, she neglected to bring an actual light with her.

Yes, the phone takes AA batteries just like any other flashlight does, for the sake of game mechanics.

Ayumi takes a few steps around, and spirits begin to appear around her.

...?!

...!

Ayumi spins to look at the blackboard as letters appear on it.

Phantoms continue to appear and disappear around Ayumi, harrassing her.

NOOO!!

And she takes off running through the classroom.

Music: Return to Heavenly Host

And then we're put into control. Welcome back to Heavenly Host!

In the Vita version of the game, you could turn your light on right here where the game starts you and shine it through these chairs and desks. The framerate would then plummet dramatically.

Thankfully, the PC version runs much better than the game did on Vita. My first time playing, I distinctly remember running around with my flashlight off in order to get a smoother framerate.

"In each instance, the victim was taken quickly and unexpectedly, so please remain alert and aware at all times. -Principal Takamine Yanagihori"

If we head back up to where Ayumi woke up, we can check the bulletin board and get this little snippet.

There's nothing else of interest in this classroom, so we head out into the hallway.

Sound Effect: Gong

Aah!

...There wasn't a clock like that in here last time either...
(I guess things really are different now...)

I don't even know his phone number... Actually...I should leave a message for him.

Ayumi places one of her candles and lights it. Just like last time, this creates a fully functional save point for us.

Good enough, I think. Now let's see if i can find him anywhere.

She seems to have forgotten that phone calls don't really work in Heavenly Host, though. This was established pretty early on in the first game.

We head north and cross the large hole in the floor. We can investigate the clock, but Ayumi just notes once again that it wasn't here the first time.

...Misuto?

Sound Effect: Radio Static

*creak* *creak* *creak*

We can make out faint signs of light from around the corner, like a flashlight.

That has to be a person!

We're put back into control, but there's a big pit in front of us. We can't continue north right now, so we turn around and head south past the candle.

This is...really disgusting. Not that anything in here isn't, though...

Our old friend is still here.

We fish some batteries out of it while we're here, I guess. Hopefully they were actually just lying beside the bucket.

And here we see a new gameplay mechanic that goes hand in hand with the flashlight: Traps! There are various traps around Heavenly Host, including but not limited to: sharp debris and damaged floors.

If we step into a trap, we take HP damage. The traps are much, much easier to see with your flashlight on; a lot of them really blend in when you're in the dark.

Bandages can be used to restore missing HP. Like batteries, there's a surplus of them lying around and you can hoard them all for when you need them.

Before me were the skeletal remains of a human being, sprawled out unceremoniously on the ground.

Ugh... This is definitely Heavenly Host... This person... I have no idea who he is, but somehow, I feel like I've met him before...

A name tag rests beside the corpse.

As you'd expect, we'll be chronicling every name tag to be found in this latest iteration of Heavenly Host.

Toshihisa Goto here is a character from Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash, hence the "I feel like I've met him before." This nametag is the only reference to him in this game.

This might come in handy, huh?

Loose Board obtained!

Board in hand, we head back north to the gap. A classic Corpse Party puzzle.

There's a nifty interface to select which item to use on an obstacle. In the future it may not be as clear exactly which item we should be using.

We cross our bridge directly into a cutscene

Video: End of Chapter 1
(This video continues for the remainder of the update)

The light we saw from around the corner goes out, and we continue in that direction to investigate.

Music: None

AAH!!

Having spotted a spooky ghost, Ayumi turns and runs in the opposite direction.

Aah...! What...?

...S-Suzumoto?!

It's me! Ayumi! I've come here to find you!

Mayu turns to face us.

...?!

Mayu: Shig... Shig Shig SHISHISHISHISHISHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Mayu immediately starts chasing us, and she doesn't seem very happy. We take off running into unknown territory.

I can probably lose her if I hide in here!

We climb into the cabinet and hide. We pass an occult symbol on the wall along the way (pictured above), but Ayumi has nothing particularly interesting to say about it, so I focus on the matter at hand.

And we're introduced to a new gameplay mechanic. While hiding from hostile entities, this screen appears. We can hear their footsteps get louder as they approach, and the circle in the center changes color based on their distance, from red to yellow to green to blue.

We hear Mayu approach, pass the cabinet, and continue down the hall. Once the circle disappears entirely, we know she's far enough away to safely exit our hiding place.

We continue down the hall, now that we can safely explore at our leisure.

Oh god she's still here.

We skillfully slip past her and continue running. Turning back will get us nowhere; it's just a dead end back that way.

Also note that this is Mayu's bloodstain she's hanging out by. Guess she feels some attachment to it.

Music: None

As we keep going south, we run into a cutscene.

AAAAAAAAAH...AAAAH...AAAAAH...AAAH!!

Yuki?!
Yuki! Yuki, help me!

Ayumi runs toward Yuki, the kind ghost girl who helped us before, and trips.

Agggh...!

My chin smashed against the floor and the wind was completely knocked out of me. My entire field of vision turned white, as if I'd been drenched in some unholy phosphorescence.

Ggh...*wheeze*...*wheeze*... ...*wheeze*...

Music: Salvation

Some sort of executioner-type figure approaches from behind Yuki.

And raises its axe high above its head.

Then, everything went black. Various indistinct forms blurred together in front of my eyes...and all of a sudden, it felt as if not my body, but my mind had been shattered to pieces.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Chapter 1 is the first chapter of the game to feature a Wrong Ending. There's only one, however.

Chapter 01 - Wrong End 1

To get this ending, we just have to let Mayu's spirit drain our HP to 0.

Video: Chapter 01 - Wrong End 1

We get Mayu chasing us and head for the cabinet.

This isn't necessary to get the Wrong Ending, but I figured I'd use this opportunity to show off what happens if an entity witnesses you enter a hiding spot.

The hiding interface comes up as usual. Predictably, it skips straight to a red circle. But almost immediately, we hear Mayu's screaming.

And the door is forced open, a single eye peering through at you.

Yeah, Mayu doesn't have any eyes. This is just a generic image that displays any time an entity catches you in a hiding place.

You're forced out of your hiding place and receive massive damage: about half your max HP. It's very bad. As our HP gets low, red starts to encroach from the borders of the screen.

We let Mayu hit us again and finish us off, and the ending proper begins (I was already a little hurt from traps to speed this up, she doesn't deal enough damage to kill you in one hit after the damage from being caught in a cabinet.

The screen cuts to black, and Mayu shrieks.

And we cut to Ayumi fleeing from Mayu. No matter where you are when you get killed, this scene has Ayumi flee from the west.

Ayumi trips, allowing Mayu to catch up.

And she climbs on top of Ayumi and starts hitting her.

Over and over, Mayu attacks Ayumi, a brutal sound effect accompanying each blow. Until finally...

Music: Game Over

Ayumi dies, and the Wrong End screen appears. The screen gets this swirly effect as well.

Video ends here.

And that's it. The singular Wrong End for this chapter is a pretty generic one. Since it was so fast, I've got one more thing to show quickly.

Blood Drive - Game Over

There's a generic game over screen which plays when your HP reaches 0, except for in situations where there's a special Wrong End tied to what killed you, such as the ending above.

Ayumi just falls over face-first, and the screen becomes covered with blood.

Music: Game Over

And that's it. It's simple, but it's not really something you'll see much unless you have a tendency to step in traps all the time.

Bonus: I had to capture that Wrong Ending a couple times, because I kept encountering a bug.

For some reason, Mayu had no otherworldly glow. Every single time. I had to kite her back to the classroom and have her chase me in and back out, to reload her model and have the effect applied.

Blood Drive is a little buggy. Over the course of getting a platinum trophy in the Vita version, I experienced no less than three or four hard crashes that took the entire OS with it, forcing a reboot of the console. And that's on top of the little bugs peppered through the game like the ones we've already seen.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Music: Corpse Party

Blood Drive features a handy thing called the Encyclopedia Obscura, which has descriptions of items, terms, characters, and places of interest from the game. A bunch of entries unlock after each chapter, and I'll be posting an updated Encyclopedia alongside each chapter's Wrong Ending post.

The game displays hidden entries, so I'll be doing this as well. We also unlocked a bunch after Chapter 00, but I just consolidated them together with the Chapter 01 entries.

Encyclopedia Obscura

Item

?????
?????
?????
Grimoire
?????
?????
Everafter Stones
?????
Spirit Items
Candle

Organization

W.I.
?????
?????
?????

Person

?????
?????
?????
?????
?????
Yuki Kanno
?????
Miki Kishinuma
Yoshiki Kishinuma
?????
?????
?????
?????
?????
?????
?????
Yui Shishido
Ayumi Shinozaki
?????
?????
Seiji Shinozaki
Hinoe Shinozaki
?????
?????
Seiko Shinohara
?????
?????
Mayu Suzumoto
?????
?????
?????
Tokiko Tsuji
Naomi Nakashima
?????
?????
?????
?????
?????
Satoshi Mochida
Yuka Mochida
Sakutaro Morishige
Takamine Yanagihori
Yoshikazu Yanagihori
Hajime Yamazaki
Mirai Yamamura
?????
Ryou Yoshizawa
?????

Term

?????
?????
Sachiko Ever After
Blowback
?????
?????
?????
?????
?????
Raising of Corpses
Land of Corpses
?????

Kisaragi Academy
Shimorenjaku South Apartments
Closed Spaces
Heavenly Host Elementary
Nirvana

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's back. :toot:

That was a pretty lame game over, though.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Oh drat, you're still going! That's great! I really want to see where this goes.

I thought this was abandoned once I saw your Zelda thread pop up.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I can imagine this one, while I'm enjoying the LP, is probably a bit of a chore to do.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I thought this was abandoned too, good to see it back again!

Was Mayu the girl who got launched into the wall at mach 3? It seems that in ghost form she, erm, forgot her face. Ew.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, I'm sorry for the long delay. I absolutely intend to finish this and hopefully can get into a better groove now that I'm past the two hours of nonstop dialog the game opens with and am starting to adapt to the new life we all live here in 2020.

EggsAisle posted:

Was Mayu the girl who got launched into the wall at mach 3? It seems that in ghost form she, erm, forgot her face. Ew.

The very same.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So who is dying on the altar of Ayumi's stupidity this time, I wonder?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

For maximum drama, I'd guess...Yoshiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

probably, that boy puts up with so much for someone that really treats him like poo poo.