Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i bought an archer see five about four years ago and its tarting to be an rear end in a top hat and not connecting, needing me to unplug+repluf the ethernet, other bullshit. come on. is it because i didnt nerd out and install some open source third party bullshit. why cant this bullshit last. come on. is it like my friends old car remote that stopped workin cus GMC didnt wanna use enough solder.

i hate technology. i helped another friend shop for a tv for his grandma and literally every model is some “”smart”” tv bs. gently caress off i dont need this. smart fridge. smart dishwasher. smart doorbell. shove it up my rear end you assholes. gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
okay

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

thabks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I agree op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

your welcome op/.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

802.11weed posted:

is it like my friends old car remote that stopped workin cus GMC didnt wanna use enough solder.

your closer to the truth than you realize op and i cant say anything more in this venue (eck-chay our-yay PM inbox-ay)

trust noone. teach the controversy.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

President Beep posted:

your closer to the truth than you realize op and i cant say anything more in this venue (eck-chay our-yay PM inbox-ay)

trust noone. teach the controversy.

ill fill this thing to the brim with molten solder and finally connect to the real internet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s this budget brand of tv sold in nz which just uses parts from reject lines or some poo poo but it’s NOT a smart tv at all

I just had to change some setting so it scanned 1:1 with my input and now it’s the perfect low dpi computer monitor

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

which brand is that

asking for a friend

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hoping to score a cheap tv on trademe after people have bought upgrades on Boxing Day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

use a pro display xdr op

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
I have a latvian router from like 2012 that's still getting security updates from the russian government, but, I bought it in like 2012 for like $50 canadian

hope that helps op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Progressive JPEG posted:

which brand is that

asking for a friend

veon it’s the warehouse brand

I hear the 4k stuff is poo poo tho, may be getting better tho, suppose makes sense it will

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

also the good poo poo about veon is that they have or had this insane three year warranty that covered absolutely everything no questions asked.

I don’t see how they make money but then again I am not in the business of selling electronics and therefore don’t know the margins merry Christmas you filthy animals

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

802.11weed posted:

i bought an archer see five about four years ago and its tarting to be an rear end in a top hat and not connecting, needing me to unplug+repluf the ethernet, other bullshit. come on. is it because i didnt nerd out and install some open source third party bullshit. why cant this bullshit last. come on. is it like my friends old car remote that stopped workin cus GMC didnt wanna use enough solder.

i hate technology. i helped another friend shop for a tv for his grandma and literally every model is some “”smart”” tv bs. gently caress off i dont need this. smart fridge. smart dishwasher. smart doorbell. shove it up my rear end you assholes. gently caress you

your problem is buying a piece of poo poo tp link op

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Maximum Leader posted:

your problem is buying a piece of poo poo tp link op

sh/sc told me it was good. ive learned my lesson and will ask you next time im shopping for a router

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Archer C7 is (or at least was for a pretty long while?) the best consumer wireless router.

But that's "best" being used in the same sense as "President Beep is the best poster in YOSPOS"?

:shrug:

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

just use a switch, op

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
playin mario on my networking hardware... ftw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

802.11weed posted:

ill fill this thing to the brim with molten solder and finally connect to the real internet

careful

thats how you get a ham radio

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

WilWheaton posted:

I have a latvian router from like 2012 that's still getting security updates from the russian government, but, I bought it in like 2012 for like $50 canadian

hope that helps op

sup mikrotik buddy

i had some wrt54gls running a wireless bridge for nearly 15 years. the only reason they're getting replaced is they're slow as poo poo.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i have a small freebsd box with like a gig of ram hooked up to some unifi aps and it will last forever op

finally replaced the wrt54gl running dd-wrt that my parents had left running since i set it up in 2005. tried to use it as an extra ap but it reset itself and started issuing rogue dhcp leases within a day

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

also the good poo poo about veon is that they have or had this insane three year warranty that covered absolutely everything no questions asked.

I don’t see how they make money but then again I am not in the business of selling electronics and therefore don’t know the margins merry Christmas you filthy animals

what are farm margins like

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fart simpson posted:

what are farm margins like

baaaaa-d

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

theyre negative op

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i have a small freebsd box with like a gig of ram hooked up to some unifi aps and it will last forever op

whats a keyword i can look into to learn about this stuff?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
prolly pfsense ?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

its bc of strict term limits op. the founding fathers (bill, stebe, timb, rms) feared that prolonged governance of a LAN by a single router would lead to tyranny and so ordained that all routers should have a fixed lifespan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

802.11weed posted:

whats a keyword i can look into to learn about this stuff?

if you pay for your own electricity this is a huge waste of money

if you really feel like slamming your dick in a car door with horrible unfriendly user interfaces you can buy a mikrotik that will do the same job for under $100 and last just as long

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 26, 2019

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

infernal machines posted:

if you really feel like slamming your dick in a car door with horrible unfriendly user interfaces you can buy a mikrotik that will do the same job for under $100 and last just as long

gonna buy a mikrotik instead of another tplink so i can use a worse UI and the damned thing will last just as long

im into it, yea

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fallen Hamprince posted:

its bc of strict term limits op. the founding fathers (bill, stebe, timb, rms) feared that prolonged governance of a LAN by a single router would lead to tyranny and so ordained that all routers should have a fixed lifespan

is this also why some of my phone apps log me out without asking me?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

802.11weed posted:

gonna buy a mikrotik instead of another tplink so i can use a worse UI and the damned thing will last just as long

im into it, yea

...will last just as long as the BSD box, e.g. forever. it also has a generally unfriendly ui, like pfsense.

unlike an old pc running as a router it will draw 5 watts instead of 200

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 26, 2019

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
ohh ok. sorry im a dumass. thanks though!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
just get an old Cisco from the electronic surplus OP

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

infernal machines posted:

hey now, the pfsense interface is generally fine (it's not perfect but lol if you think consumer routers are generally better--they're usually worse) and definitely better than mikrotik the last time i looked at them. you don't run it on an actual old desktop, they make dedicated low-power boxes with additional ethernet ports and poo poo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

hey now, the pfsense interface is generally fine (it's not perfect but lol if you think consumer routers are generally better--they're usually worse) and definitely better than mikrotik the last time i looked at them. you don't run it on an actual old desktop, they make dedicated low-power boxes with additional ethernet ports and poo poo.

i run mine on a chromebox i got for free. idk how much power it pulls but its def single digit watts

realtek tho

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
how long does a round of competent managers stay in power at a company before getting salary-capped out?

that’s your answer right there.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

edgerouter lite from back in 2013 is still going ok to this day just make sure to switch out the usb flash memory and change the power adapter to something better and maybe strap a 80mm fan on it
edgerouter 4 will probably last another 5~10 years too with pretty much no janitoring

either one of them will route gigabit just fine so you can probably run them till the heat death of the sun because isps are terrible

the 5 year old asus ac router with tomato are used together with the erl/uap stuff to run adblocking dns server while extending wifi coverage, strapped a 200mm usb fan onto it and will probably last another 5 years

but yeah most of the consumer level stuff are bad

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Encrypted posted:

but yeah all of the computer stuff are bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe