Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maximum Leader posted:

your problem is buying a piece of poo poo tp link op

tp link for your pi-hole!! :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man fuckin ubiquiti dumped some models on EOL and now we've got nearly a hundred WAPs scattered across like thirty locations that are gonna have to be replaced

fuckers

also can someone post a list of the wifi standards cause last i remember is like 802.11ac and i don't know how many there are between that and "wifi 6"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

"wifi 6" is 802.11ax

thanks and "god bless",

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

:tipshat:

i think all the eol'd ubiquitiy models were the 1st gen 802.11ac ones, from 2014/2015. it's a pain in the rear end, but iirc they changed the hardware platform midway through that generation and so they probably don't care to maintain two different firmware branches for 5-year old hardware

yeah to be fair most of them have been up for a few years now anyway, it's not my money but the company got their money's worth. not thrilled about "surprise, time to go up on manbaskets and scissorlifts!" but w/e that's part of the job.

what i'm really grumpy about is that we just re-deployed a few of the EOL units a couple months ago to a new location, thinking we were saving some money by using up some spares we had. if i'd known this was coming i could have ordered new ones that wouldn't have had to be touched. oh well

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what is the replacement pico model because our pico was loving awesome until it just stopped working for no good reason other than a lightning strike and now I can’t seem to find the pico

it's not the picostation but we've been getting these lately and they seem to work well at a good price. they handle a bunch of clients without much trouble. don't worry about the "mesh" part they work just fine in non-mesh applications.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol yeah i've never had training either. tbf i've never gone up in a scissor lift before, i just assume that'll be part of it at some point. the nice forklift manbasket at the main warehouse has a belt you put on that's chained to the basket, in addition to the gate. the one that gets used out at the yards just has a flimsy little gate that gets chained closed.

we've also got one location where the network rack is up in a loft and only accessible via ladder. as in, you have to do work while on the ladder. oof. hate that place. hoping that location gets remodeled soon so i can push for "move that poo poo down to ground level already, the gently caress"

this job was definitely my first experience in a manbasket though. fortunately it's a good culture here, no yahoos trying to be dickish or anything. my biggest worry so far has been hornets buzzing near one of the WAP enclosures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
where do you place your drying rack?