Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1196412743437488128?s=20

Donate to Jess
Volunteer for Jess

As some of you may be aware from the C-SPAM thread on the subject, I am a political organizer in Delaware. In 2018 I worked on Kerri Evelyn Harris' US Senate campaign, as well as a local State Senate race. This cycle, I'm running a General Assembly race, and I am one of the core team members for Jessica Scarane, Democrat for US Senate.

Who Is Jess
Jess is the Director of Business Strategy at Archer, a local advertising firm, as well as the President of Girls Inc. of Delaware. She's worked with underprivileged kids in Wilmington, our largest city, since moving to the state ten years ago. She's running for United States Senate because she's sick of the vulnerable of our country being beholden to the whims of an elite few. We have a system of power that is designed, at its core, to further enrich the already wealthy, while it perpetually leaves the rest of us with scraps.

Jess wants to be Senator so that she can give power back to the regular people of Delaware. To that end, she takes no corporate PAC money at all, and-win or lose-wants to foster a progressive infrastructure in Delaware, which is something the state sorely needs.

The Platform
In short, Jess's platform is in broad alignment with Bernie Sanders'. She supports:

-The Sanders Medicare for All legislation
-A restorative criminal justice system and the decriminalization of poverty
-A Green New Deal for America
-The democratization of workplaces and nothing less than a $15 minimum wage, so that we can then fight for a living wage
-Shelter as a human right
-Universal pre-k through college

Her platform is focused on the issues that matter most to Delawareans. I can say, with thousands of doors of anecdotal experience, that most voters in Delaware are concerned with having basic needs met. This means healthcare, childcare, education, fair wages, and a functional criminal justice system. Everything in Jess's agenda is focused on addressing the needs of regular voters, not massive corporations.

Why You Should Help
There's actually quite a few reasons you should help our campaign, even if you're no where near Delaware.

The first and foremost is, Jess's opponent, Chris Coons, is uniquely terrible. Chris, who was once called "The GOP's Favorite Democrat", has had a wild last few months. Since September Chris has called for war with Iran; said that low income people, people of color, and women would cause "irreconcilable discord" if elected to the Senate; and publicly admonished people for booing Trump.

Prior to that, Chris did a phenomenal job botching the :kav: nomination, giving his self proclaimed "best friend", Jeff Flake, the political cover needed to vote for Kavanaugh. Chris is an absolutely terrible Democratic Senator. His actions would be hard to explain if he was from a state like West Virginia or Alabama, but they are absolutely impossible to explain from deep blue Delaware.

Another reason you should help is Chris is actually much more vulnerable than people realize. Recently, a Data For Progress poll found that he was vulnerable to a "Generic Liberal Woman" candidate:
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1204811840082956288?s=20

And I can personally corroborate those findings based off of extensive experience here in Delaware. In addition to Coons' vulnerability, our burgeoning Delaware progressive movement is simply much more efficient and strategic than our competition in the establishment. For Kerri's 2018 race, we spent just $5 per vote to Carper's $55. This cycle, we know exactly where to knock, who to talk to, and what to do with money raised. And Jess only needs about 60,000 votes to win.

Finally, perhaps the biggest reason to help Jess, is she's an actual human being who is funny, kind, and gives a poo poo. Knowing she had fans in C-SPAM, she even recorded an address to them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRD5Y68njjY

How You Can Help
There are two ways to help. The simplest is to just donate. As I said, Jess takes no corporate PAC money. In contrast, Chris Coons is from the wealthiest family in the state, and this cycle alone has taken about $180,000 from companies that profit off of ICE concentration camps. Every single donation is valuable to us because this is a grassroots campaign funded by people, not faceless corporations.

Plus, if you donate, you're entitled to one of the two gangtags made for helping Jess:

The second way to help is to volunteer. Even if you live no where near DE, you can make phone calls for Jess remotely. And if you do live near here, come canvass! We are out every weekend, and beginning around March, we will be out during the week as well.

Jess has been canvassing so much she completely lost her voice this past week, so you should all put in an hour or two too!

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1208946361212841985

Questions
If any of you have questions about what political organizing is like, or want more details on the campaign, please respond here. I'll do my best to answer anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
if you give Nichael enough money you can make fun of him for being a lanyard campaign worker... it's the law.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kingcobweb posted:

if you give Nichael enough money you can make fun of him for being a lanyard campaign worker... it's the law.

Powerful incentives right here bois

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

Lanyard Nichael is my final (and by far worst) form.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Donated 27 dollars because I have visceral hatred for all establishment dems. I lust for the the day when the last shitlib has been purged from Congress and public life in general.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Source4Leko posted:

Donated 27 dollars because I have visceral hatred for all establishment dems. I lust for the the day when the last shitlib has been purged from Congress and public life in general.
I feel the :same:. 100%.

That's exactly what I want to hear, and what this campaign is about. Thank you so much. Do you want a gang tag?

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nichael posted:

I feel the :same:. 100%.

That's exactly what I want to hear, and what this campaign is about. Thank you so much. Do you want a gang tag?

Sure, I posted this in another thread so I wanna make sure I don't end up with two. I'll take either.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Jessica seems rad. $27.00 in for the cause.

Merry fuckyoumas, Chris Coons

No gang tag needed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Donated 10bux

Jezebel
Sep 6, 2004

Skal!

:10bux: from me, but I don't need a gang tag. Thanks for fighting the good fight!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Gave $27, though feel free to skip the gang tag. Wish I could donate time too, but I’m hitting my busy season and working six days a week already. I will at least vote for her and see what I can do with my parents (not chuds thankfully, but they’re turning into the worst centrist “decorum” Democrats as they get older :sigh:).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks to my D&D friends who've donated so far. We're absolutely going to win this, and it's amazing to see such strong support from across the country this early in the cycle.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Donations are great, but the best thing you can do to get her elected is make phone calls for the campaign (or canvass if you are nearby!). We're about to start a phone bank. You can join us here:

https://www.thrutalk.io/caller/login/jessforde

And here's the preview script:

https://desktop.thrutalk.io/candidate/jessica-scarane-for-us-senate

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Sent :10bux: to jess because d&d is a cursed place

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's great that you started this thread. I just sent Jessica 27 USD. It would be awesome to give Chris Coons an early retirement.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Relentlessboredomm did a podcast with Jess:

https://twitter.com/dumbawfulshow/status/1210739393759043584?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1211310182292185092

Chris Coons <3's Republican fascists more than any Democrat around!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/status/1211310182292185092

Chris Coons <3's Republican fascists more than any Democrat around!

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1211389270377848833

And it's not just Republicans; his work for the homophobic Prayer Breakfast is disqualifying IMO.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Cheers from Kent County. Just gave $100, and thanks for what you’re doing Nichael. Coons pisses me off so much and Jess’s platform is great.

Would like to hear what lessons were learned from the KEH campaign that you’re applying here. Kerri getting 35% was awesome and much higher than I expected, but overcoming the bullshit “Delaware Way” is extremely challenging. How do you get to the 60k?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MisterJed posted:

Cheers from Kent County. Just gave $100, and thanks for what you’re doing Nichael. Coons pisses me off so much and Jess’s platform is great.

Would like to hear what lessons were learned from the KEH campaign that you’re applying here. Kerri getting 35% was awesome and much higher than I expected, but overcoming the bullshit “Delaware Way” is extremely challenging. How do you get to the 60k?

Good question, and thanks for the donation!

There were a lot of lessons learned:

-Start earlier
Kerri started in February. Simply starting earlier has afforded us a lot of time to build up initial volunteer and donor infrastructure in the last month, and we're already seeing that pay off. Three weeks ago, Jess had fifteen volunteers knocking doors in a single day. That's unheard of in Delaware. Every weekend since has had at least ten separate volunteers on doors during the holidays. We've got a lot of early momentum and we hope to keep it going into 2020.

-Be more aggressive on social
Kerri was nice to a fault. She refused to differentiate herself meaningfully from Carper. Jess is a great person, but this isn't a game. There's life and death consequences at stake, so she's not afraid to call Coons out like in the tweet posted above.

-Execute a strategic field plan
Again, Kerri was nice to a fault in some senses. She wanted us to put field resources in Kent and Sussex because she wanted to represent the whole state. That's good, in theory, but it doesn't make sense strategically. This election, most of our resources will be put into the areas we absolutely need to win; meaning Wilmington, Newark, Claymont, Rt. 9, Middletown, and Dover. That's not to say we won't have a presence elsewhere! But we absolutely need to focus on electoral priorities. And since you're in Kent, I really have to encourage you to sign up to volunteer. We are going to need canvassers and organizers throughout the state, especially in the Spring and Summer.

-Fundraise constantly
Like a lot of candidates, Kerri hated call time. Jess hates it too! But she's doing it many hours every week:
https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1211787919016546306

-Have the candidate knock doors where it counts
Kerri lived in Dover, making it very difficult for her to knock doors in Wilmington (the number one priority location for any Democratic statewide race). Jess lives in the middle of Wilmington. She's already knocked more doors in the city than Kerri had. By this Summer, we want the whole city to know her. And speaking of name recognition, she actually already has pretty decent name recognition from her work at Girls Inc.

As a team, we also learned a lot about volunteer management, fundraising, and general organization. In addition, we made tons of state and national contacts on Kerri's campaign which we will be leveraging in the 2020 cycle. We're going to win this and this movement is going to spearhead a better Delaware for everyone.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Thank you for the response! And I think it’s good for the thread to see it too. I’ll say I’m thinking about volunteering and getting out of my comfort zone.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MisterJed posted:

Thank you for the response! And I think it’s good for the thread to see it too. I’ll say I’m thinking about volunteering and getting out of my comfort zone.

We're the best campaign team in the state, and unlike the Coons team, we're actual human beings who give a poo poo about each other and the state. We never send new volunteers out alone. You're always trained prior, and you have a partner when canvassing. You should really consider it. I promise you'll like it and the campaign team.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kowloon Walled City rules and this helps me feel like I backed the right horse

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nichael posted:

We're the best campaign team in the state, and unlike the Coons team, we're actual human beings who give a poo poo about each other and the state. We never send new volunteers out alone. You're always trained prior, and you have a partner when canvassing. You should really consider it. I promise you'll like it and the campaign team.

already a pretty loving steep improvement over the campaigns I've worked on in Wisconsin lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

already a pretty loving steep improvement over the campaigns I've worked on in Wisconsin lol

My first time canvassing was for Bernie in 2016 here in DE. His team loving sucked. They drove me out to a neighborhood that was predominantly Spanish speaking (I only speak English), and had me go alone after minimal training. I'd like to think the general progressive movement we're building here can at least clear that low bar. Maybe we clear a lot of other low bars too.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nichael posted:

My first time canvassing was for Bernie in 2016 here in DE. His team loving sucked. They drove me out to a neighborhood that was predominantly Spanish speaking (I only speak English), and had me go alone after minimal training. I'd like to think the general progressive movement we're building here can at least clear that low bar. Maybe we clear a lot of other low bars too.

I think canvassing is fundamentally an activity meant to be done in pairs. When I canvassed in 2018 and brought a college buddy it was so much more fun and bearable than doing it on your own. Same when I did it with a friend in 2012. But man, I canvassed alone in 2016 and it suuuuuuucked.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I think canvassing is fundamentally an activity meant to be done in pairs. When I canvassed in 2018 and brought a college buddy it was so much more fun and bearable than doing it on your own. Same when I did it with a friend in 2012. But man, I canvassed alone in 2016 and it suuuuuuucked.

We encourage people to split up the turfs when they're both experienced, so it gets done more efficiently. That means have one person do evens, and one do odds, or alternating doors. But yeah, it's better in pairs or at least if someone is nearby.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Hello from a resident goon organizer in VA! I assume Jess is in discussions with Labor over supporting her because if not she needs to have done that yesterday. Getting labor to back you is really important if you want to get your ground game in full gear.

She might be wise to talk to some other Davids fighting Goliaths like McKayla Wilkes. The DCCC blacklist has been really rough so sharing resources for campaign vendors might help her chances.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

IL goon. Donated what I could, talking to other people I know and selling Jessica. She seems really cool, but most importantly her policies are progressive and the incumbent is just awful. Hoping she runs a good campaign!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hell yes I hate that dude so much

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

friendbot2000 posted:

Hello from a resident goon organizer in VA! I assume Jess is in discussions with Labor over supporting her because if not she needs to have done that yesterday. Getting labor to back you is really important if you want to get your ground game in full gear.

She might be wise to talk to some other Davids fighting Goliaths like McKayla Wilkes. The DCCC blacklist has been really rough so sharing resources for campaign vendors might help her chances.

1. Labor doesn't have a huge presence in Delaware. A lot of the biggest unions back the establishment Democrats. For example, the AFL-CIO endorsement flier they gave out last year for the primary was a list of essentially who you should never vote for, including picking Tom Carper over Kerri. We do have individual members of unions who are great though, and have helped a lot. And there are some unions who are more supportive of us.

2. We've been in talks with Mckayla since before launch. We've actually helped them a lot with certain aspects of their campaign too.

Forrest on Fire posted:

IL goon. Donated what I could, talking to other people I know and selling Jessica. She seems really cool, but most importantly her policies are progressive and the incumbent is just awful. Hoping she runs a good campaign!

VitalSigns posted:

hell yes I hate that dude so much

Thanks to both of you. Tell me if you want tags.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 31, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nichael posted:

Thanks to both of you. Tell me if you want tags.

Sure, who knows how long they'll last before I piss someone off enough to change my avatar again, but until then tag me!

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I donated $100 to this cause, and I'll vote her too. I live in this dumb state that frankly shouldn't exist, and we need a better senator.

Ghosts! fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 1, 2020

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ghosts! posted:

I donated to this cause, and I'll vote her too. I live in this dumb state that frankly shouldn't exist, and we need a better senator. I will also state that this finally forced me to learn how to post an image here, for which I hope that I didn't screw it up too badly.

Seriously, thank you. Come canvass!

I think you meant to post this:

which is really incredible. Again, thank you. Please come canvass with the best campaign team in the state.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 1, 2020

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
Yes that is it. I'm interested in learning more about what I can do, so send me a PM.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ghosts! posted:

Yes that is it. I'm interested in learning more about what I can do, so send me a PM.

PMed!

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
I will happily donate, under the condition that somebody explains first the CSPAM jokes Jess addressed that are in threads that I'm guessing are buried several hundred pages deep in a thread I may or may not have skimmed.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Joey Steel posted:

I will happily donate, under the condition that somebody explains first the CSPAM jokes Jess addressed that are in threads that I'm guessing are buried several hundred pages deep in a thread I may or may not have skimmed.

I actually wrote a glossary of C-SPAM jokes for her when she recorded that:

quote:

Glossary:
1. C-SPAM is a political subforum of Something Awful, which itself is a comedy forum started in 1999. C-SPAM has a leftist ideology aligned with our own, and a strong dislike of the “centrist” status quo.

2. President Trump has a tendency to say “Working hard, thank you!” on Twitter. This has become a joke phrase that expresses casual vanity, narcissism, and dismissiveness.

3. “Remember sailor!” was the nonsensical ending of an April 27th, 2018 Trump tweet. It inspired the title of a track by DC synth artist, 2DCAT, who has expressed an interest in fundraising for the campaign.

4. Helgefølelse (pronounced: helg-geh-fol-suh) translates literally from Norwegian to “weekend sense”. It essentially means how much of a weekend state of mind you are in. It comes from a Norwegian comedy website that tracks how close to the weekend we are with helgefølelse levels. You have been deemed by C-SPAM to be the “unreasonable helgefølelse“ candidate, in contrast with Coons’ moderate “reasonable helgefølelse“ platform, that caps helgefølelse at 50%.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1212940967780782082

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Nichael posted:

I actually wrote a glossary of C-SPAM jokes for her when she recorded that:

That's definitely a :10bux: :10bux: answer to me.