Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Its Chocolate posted:

that's not always the case. I'm an apocalyptic centrist who believes the world is going to reach a hell state because people can't get past left and right

coward that you are, do you at least recognize that you inhabit a position that ultimately sides with fascists, landlords and cops that will gleefully slaughter poor people who want to stop being homeless and hungry? the "center" that a western / American centrist occupies is firmly on the right of the political spectrum, usually somewhere in the middle of the "Overton window" or what's acceptable /possible within liberal legislative frameworks and social norms. there are no beliefs or ideologies at the actual "center" of the political landscape because the left and the right exist in direct contradiction to each other in several ways, and they don't "settle" into some center area, or have some harebrained potluck of structures from both sides, they violently synthetize an entire new society and culture in their resolution. knowing that when this moment occurs, we'll need every person possible to push for a truly equal society built for the masses and in harmony with nature, will you fight or will you die like a dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

As a centrist, I believe that a good compromise means everyone walks away from the negotiating table unhappy. Therefore my constant misery must mean Im making good compromises in my life.

Yes everyone walks away from negotiating tables unhappy. Creditors most of all. They are so sad. They miss their money so much the only way to placate their suffering is with interest.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Yes everyone walks away from negotiating tables unhappy. Creditors most of all. They are so sad. They miss their money so much the only way to placate their suffering is with interest.

They raised that capital from a wee patch of stolen land and stolen labor, nursed it through the lean times and the good. Can you imagine how hard it is to give it up for a mere 35%APR?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

If only people cared a bit less and just chilled everything would be better imo.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

It means OP doesn't care which policy proposals are better than others, only whether mom and grandpa maintain their indoor voices at Thanksgiving.

I do honestly wonder sometimes how much of "centrism" is really "i was raised in a highly-confrontational yelling-and-fighting household and it turned me into a broken timid coward with an intense fear of conflict".

Like, centrism and an analysis-paralysis level of crippling anxiety seem to be highly correlated. Its not really a political position so much as an inability to make decisions and a desperate want to fit in by following the crowd.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

I'm honestly surprised you're the first to notice and post this

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

smarxist posted:

coward that you are, do you at least recognize that you inhabit a position that ultimately sides with fascists, landlords and cops that will gleefully slaughter poor people who want to stop being homeless and hungry? the "center" that a western / American centrist occupies is firmly on the right of the political spectrum, usually somewhere in the middle of the "Overton window" or what's acceptable /possible within liberal legislative frameworks and social norms. there are no beliefs or ideologies at the actual "center" of the political landscape because the left and the right exist in direct contradiction to each other in several ways, and they don't "settle" into some center area, or have some harebrained potluck of structures from both sides, they violently synthetize an entire new society and culture in their resolution. knowing that when this moment occurs, we'll need every person possible to push for a truly equal society built for the masses and in harmony with nature, will you fight or will you die like a dog?

well yeah like my OP implies, what we usually call "centrist" (particularly in America) is actually right-wing. the first major figure from our current crop of "centrists" was Bill Clinton and he might be tied with Reagan for the most brutally right-wing president we've had in the last 100 years lol, but no one acknowledges it because he was okay with flag-burning or whatever. I also agree with you that the major left and right ideologies that exist currently are totally incompatible and have been since the coalitions that produced them from the 60s. I would like a society with equality, made for the masses and in harmony with nature, but those are all very general ideas and I don't even know if we mean the same things when we say them

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

It means OP doesn't care which policy proposals are better than others, only whether mom and grandpa maintain their indoor voices at Thanksgiving.

I'm definitely not the kind of centrist that's against conflict. I love it. wouldn't have made this thread and admitted I was a centrist if I didn't

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Grevling posted:

If only people cared a bit less and just grilled everything would be better imo.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know centrism/liberalism has always been a worthless ideology given the fact that the far-right/fascists have always ignored them while slaughtering the left in the streets. (Because Centrism/liberalism is an ideology fundamentally about private property just like fascism is)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think the OP wanted this to be a pro-centrism thread, so my initial instinct was to :gas: but I'm willing to let it keep going as a space to dunk on centrists, such as the OP

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WampaLord posted:

I think the OP wanted this to be a pro-centrism thread, so my initial instinct was to :gas: but I'm willing to let it keep going as a space to dunk on centrists, such as the OP

sir this is very undecorus, it will never fly with the voters *updates spreadsheet furiously*

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
centrism expectation: i have harnessed enormous qi through the taoist approach of the universe, yin and yang, for all things are not an equilibrium, but a constant state of flux in which proactively flexible and adaptive osmosis can be achieved as the pendulum swings

centrism reality: *thanos voice* perfectly balanced...as all things should be

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Same.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The only centrist I'll accept

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It's me, I'm dumb but not quite as dumb as you far-left fucks.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Remember that all centrists are really just polite fascists and if anything remotely left leaning looks like it'll come to pass expect the masks to come off.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

smarxist posted:

From LA to the Rhine everything is mostly fine!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Fecal matter and sweat violently synthesize in the taint.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

thread does not actually seem very centrist, to me

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Centerists have negative value to society, because they take resources while providing nothing worthwhile to anyone. A pox upon them all.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

The “Backyard Grilling Dad” is uh the new “Applebee’s Salad Bar” for 2020, ignore this crucial demographic at your own peril, Democrats.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Op how does it feel to be presented every day with evidence that your ideology is failed and can produce no good in this world

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Op how does it feel to get swirlied by Bernard Brothers and Sanders Sisters who keep calling you little homie gayass

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Peanut President posted:

I'm going by the Dave Meltzer rating system which goes from -5 to 6 which would mean a centrist vote is a 1 :twisted:

Actually it's the one tna match rated negative more stars than there are in the universe and the universe is infinite

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A centerist might think to themselves "Well surely I love my family and they love me, that must be worth something in this world", but it is a lie. Their family hates them and prays they choke on their food or are swiftly killed by an aneurysm.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Op how does it feel to be presented every day with evidence that your ideology is failed and can produce no good in this world

probably feels good if you’re grillin’

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Here's Japan's 5-Star Movement equivalent

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1210285611581489153
https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1210291671822266368
https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1210293686984011776

quote:

His main policy espoused during the Upper House campaign was to scramble NHK broadcasts so that only viewers who pay subscription fees would be able to see its TV programs. Conversely, the system would allow those who do not want to watch NHK programs to avoid paying the fees but still enjoy TV programs on other channels.

During TV broadcasts allotted to parties taking part in the campaign, Tachibana repeated the “destroy NHK” chant.

That message was also a prominent part of the party’s video advertisement, which was played more than 3 million times on YouTube.

In comparison, the ruling Liberal Democratic Party’s ad featuring Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was viewed about 2.4 million times.

quote:

N-Koku ran 37 candidates in the prefectural districts, and Tachibana did not hide the fact that his only goal in that portion of the election was to spread the name of the party.

“I have no intention of seeing any of them win,” he said during the campaign.

The candidates were chosen with no reference to their political beliefs or backgrounds. In most cases, a simple phone call was all it took for an individual to be selected as an official candidate of the party.

However, one important condition for the candidates was the ability to use YouTube.

quote:

A number of N-Koku local assembly members have been found with histories of inappropriate comments or behavior.

A municipal assembly member in Hyogo Prefecture was fined for her actions in 2010. She and members of a group known for its racist attitudes toward ethnic Koreans stormed an office of a teachers’ labor union in Tokushima Prefecture while shouting, “Traitor.”

An N-Koku candidate who won a ward assembly seat in Tokyo in spring this year is a former Sapporo municipal assembly member in Hokkaido, who once tweeted that the indigenous Ainu people no longer existed.

Another party member, in a video he made after being elected to a ward assembly in the capital, described as “traitors” any Japanese company that does business with South Korea.

The two men have been removed from the party roster, but they remain ward assembly members.

quote:

At a news conference after he won his Upper House seat, Tachibana said he would ask Hodaka Maruyama, a Lower House member, to join his party.

Maruyama was expelled from Nippon Ishin (Japan Innovation Party) for drunkenly suggesting that Japan would have to go to war against Russia to regain the disputed Northern Territories off Hokkaido.

Interesting that with the M5S precedent, "Angry Direct Democracy with Online Nativism" has become a centrist tendency. The Asahi Shimbun article is worth reading.

Omake: the non-centrist party he mentioned

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1210289316728983552

Maximo Roboto has issued a correction as of 19:59 on Dec 27, 2019

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

all centrist lurkers post in this thread so i may later return to destroy you with an eddy gordo flurry of disco elysium screenshots

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hey guys look at me I'm a centrist. My life is uneffected by politics and I have no empathy so I think my lived experiences is the only one. Anyone who says they're suffering isn't thinking enough happy thoughts.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

ahahaha Paul Graham weighs in on The Two Kinds of Moderate

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I wake up in the morning and shake my head at how uncouth the republicans are for openly grinding the poor into the dirt before voting for mayor Pete's surprise premiums

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
My favorite show is the west wing :)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VideoTapir posted:

What exactly does this mean?

It means we all need to come together and do sensible compromise

What do you mean half of our political system is uncompromising fascists surely we can work something out

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm telling you dude, South Park has a lot of smart ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Gumball Gumption posted:

Anyone who says they're suffering isn't thinking enough happy thoughts.

God drat do I hate when people drop this kind of stuff without irony.

Like, I'm poor and disabled in a capitalist society let me be unhappy about some things.