Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

I’m really concerned with the uh divisive tone in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"Ok so one side just wants basic human rights and the other wants that side eradicated from the face of the Earth. So I, an enlightened moderate, believe that we should only jail the first group forever. That way neither side gets what they want and it's equally fair for everyone!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m a middling middlest. I dabble in splitting the difference

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Maximo Roboto posted:

ahahaha Paul Graham weighs in on The Two Kinds of Moderate
I'm half-way accidentally at the exact midpoint between the intentional moderate and the accidental moderate, the most sensible centrist position.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm not saying I don't believe in global warming, I just don't think I should have to change up my lifestyle.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The best thing we can do for the poor, I think, is to inspire them to do whatever it is they need to do to get what they need. There are so many opportunities out there, but the problem is that there just isn't enough information as to how to seize them.

For example, there are countless $5,000 scholarships distributed by every kind of corporation imaginable, from the Coca-Cola Company to McDonald's. Getting 20 of these scholarships will earn you $100,000, enough to cover admission to any public university in the country (in-state tuition, of course). If only the young people in our high schools knew about this, we could increase college attendance and eliminate student debt. Unfortunately, though, we trap our youth in a self-defeating mindset, that you need to come from money in order to go to school and get a good job.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

see, the most successful people live under conditions where they are insulated from material scarcity, where they are incentivized to flourish rather than disciplined for being at a disadvantage, and this allows them to innovate. so, if you affect some kind of political ignorance, you should be able to run a lucrative startup that does regulatory arbitrage.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

uh remember that believing in something is the first step to becoming a zealot

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

pospysyl posted:

The best thing we can do for the poor, I think, is to inspire them to do whatever it is they need to do to get what they need. There are so many opportunities out there, but the problem is that there just isn't enough information as to how to seize them.

For example, there are countless $5,000 scholarships distributed by every kind of corporation imaginable, from the Coca-Cola Company to McDonald's. Getting 20 of these scholarships will earn you $100,000, enough to cover admission to any public university in the country (in-state tuition, of course). If only the young people in our high schools knew about this, we could increase college attendance and eliminate student debt. Unfortunately, though, we trap our youth in a self-defeating mindset, that you need to come from money in order to go to school and get a good job.

"a good job" is my pet peeve centrist phrase and it makes me want to go into a huge rant every time i see it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You know idealists killed a lot of people so you shouldn't hold up any ideals beyond participating in our wonderful capitalist society :downsa:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
Hello I’m Jo Swinson

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

pospysyl posted:

Thank god they don't pay much in taxes or they wouldn't be able to afford such charitable assistance.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I am very offended by the uncouth Bernie bros infesting this thread and I demand to speak to your managers about this

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Childish and toxic Bernie Bros MUST GROW UP AND COMPROMISE IN 2020* to avoid another Trump term.

*because I refuse to support any left policies or candidates under any circumstances.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I sleep in the exact center of my bed even though only the very furthest left side is not covered in piss.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The guy who played Shogo in Battle Royale founding a left-wing anti-establishment political party is really on the nose but I can dig it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
radical cspam posters pulling the vote bar father left of center smdh

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Uranium posted:

see, the most successful people live under conditions where they are insulated from material scarcity, where they are incentivized to flourish rather than disciplined for being at a disadvantage, and this allows them to innovate. so, if you affect some kind of political ignorance, you should be able to run a lucrative startup that does regulatory arbitrage.

and that’s the story, of the greatest number ever told

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Being poor is just a state of mind. I'm incredibly successful at the age of 26 because I work hard, make smart financial choices, and play by the rules. We don't need policies that reward laziness, we need to reward hard work. When I bought my first property with my $1 million inheritance.....

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Grimdude posted:

God drat do I hate when people drop this kind of stuff without irony.

Like, I'm poor and disabled in a capitalist society let me be unhappy about some things.

Hmm but you eat food regularly?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Top City Homo posted:

Hello I’m Jo Swinson

This is the centrist thread, not the incompetent Thatcherite thread, bugger off

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
fishhook

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Venomous posted:

This is the centrist thread, not the incompetent Thatcherite thread, bugger off

i thought "incompetent thatcherite" was a basic definition of centrist

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Centrism: Mastering the impartial arts.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

i thought "incompetent thatcherite" was a basic definition of centrist

tbf Thatcher would be considered a centrist in 2019

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I live in a blue state so I always vote for Republicans even though I don't agree with their policies

It's important that both sides have representation

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i think the american government works best whejmn one party controls the executive and the other party has the legislature, that means they have to compromise on things

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
politics? no, I'm tired of hearing about that everywhere. let's talk about something not political, like the weather lately

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Minrad posted:

politics? no, I'm tired of hearing about that everywhere. let's talk about something not political, like the weather lately

snow storms are threatening travel for cars, which we as a society have heavily privileged in regulation and investment over train travel, which is more resilient to winter conditions... OOPS!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
oh, you drive trucks for a living? aren't you worried about a robot replacing you? if you had a college degree you could have a nice desk job like me. :)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Minrad posted:

oh, you drive trucks for a living? aren't you worried about a robot replacing you? if you had a college degree you could have a nice desk job like me. :)

Imagine getting replaced by your desk.

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

snow storms are threatening travel for cars, which we as a society have heavily privileged in regulation and investment over train travel, which is more resilient to winter conditions... OOPS!

Maybe we should invade China for creating climate change to destabilize American oil markets

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

VideoTapir posted:

Imagine getting replaced by your desk.

No comrade you are the desk

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im calm. im reasonable. im normal

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

im calm. im reasonable. im normal

:swinson:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
wise king solomon should have gone through with cutting the baby in half

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Aren't centrists just right-wing scum bags too scared to admit how right-wing they are?