Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah it really sucks when you have to use the garbage 2019 dialogs instead of the clean, efficient 90s dialogs

rip to the add fonts dialog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

osx is the least worst operating system

windows is the worst worst

linux owns but is also terrible

ergo, yospos

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Many forms of Operating Systems have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that Windows is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that windows is the worst Operating System except for all those others that have been tried from time to time

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
windows is the best because its the cheapest way to run an office full of neurotypicals, until you get cryptolocked

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
linux and macos are both better than windows, if only because when a windows user asks you for help with their computer, you can reply all smugly like "windows? heh, i don't use that piece of poo poo operating system"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MacOS is not a Linux or a Windows and further mentions in the linux vs Windows thread will be probed, idiots

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Captain Foo posted:

MacOS is not a Linux or a Windows and further mentions in the linux vs Windows thread will be probed, idiots

gently caress you.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Perplx posted:

windows is the best because its the cheapest way to run an office full of neurotypicals, until you get cryptolocked

its good for security contractors, though, to make a buck.

i was doing a gig for some embedded dev contract poo poo and the ceo of the company got all his poo poo on his work laptop cryptolocked. we left and spent the day laughing at him, and then the next day spent another laughing whne he thought he should call the police or fbi for help. eventually i just told him "you probably should just pay this russian piece of poo poo the $650 it's going to be cheaper" and he did and it was.

what a terrible place but we sucked up a ton of their vc money and plus left with the chairs when we were done.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:worship:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that'll be me soon being the ceo and just you wait just you wait, who'll be laughing then

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I like playing video games so I use windows and run linux stuff in VMs

upgrading Windows 10 added some new hypervisor features which conflict with older versions of VirtualBox, so I upgraded that and now Linux guests just run like absolute poo poo because they changed one of the ways they expose OpenGL and Linux thinks it's a VMware SVGA card and shits itself loudly

one of the side effects is some security through obscurity, where after typing anything into the login screen, it disappears and changes away from the vty that X is running on

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kazinsal posted:

I like playing video games so I use windows and run linux stuff in VMs

upgrading Windows 10 added some new hypervisor features which conflict with older versions of VirtualBox, so I upgraded that and now Linux guests just run like absolute poo poo because they changed one of the ways they expose OpenGL and Linux thinks it's a VMware SVGA card and shits itself loudly

one of the side effects is some security through obscurity, where after typing anything into the login screen, it disappears and changes away from the vty that X is running on

pretty lol

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
wsl and docker on windows are weird as poo poo so idk I still do debian + MATE like every other linux dweeb stuck 10 years in the past.

might do kde and fedora on a new ryzen build, still hate windows for day to day stuff.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
also desktop linux in hyperv runs like dogshit

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Is video acceleration in a browser available yet in Linux? :lol:

Firefox is almost there, I'm wondering how well it will work considering that Chromium Team know it's a mess.

I think you still need goofy packages that hack nVidia drivers if you want to enable VP8/9.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
why would anyone need to run a browser with video acceleration on their headless server operation system?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The windows thread is named something cute so Windows questions are getting posted here now.

So Visual Studio is the ide, text editor, compiler, and build tool for windows, and microsoft built all of it? It's really just one giant walled garden? I guess vcpkg is "visual studio C package manager" or something too, right? I get that the Linux war between rpms and debs and every other two bit package manager hasn't done anyone any favors, but on the other hand that's less terrifying than imagining IBM wholly owning and maintaining the entire development ecosystem.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

TimWinter posted:

The windows thread is named something cute so Windows questions are getting posted here now.

So Visual Studio is the ide, text editor, compiler, and build tool for windows, and microsoft built all of it? It's really just one giant walled garden? I guess vcpkg is "visual studio C package manager" or something too, right? I get that the Linux war between rpms and debs and every other two bit package manager hasn't done anyone any favors, but on the other hand that's less terrifying than imagining IBM wholly owning and maintaining the entire development ecosystem.

To be fair you can use the visual c tools from the command line (iirc without installing visual studio?) and I would still not recommend using it because holy poo poo msvc is so bad its unreal.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TimWinter posted:

install emacs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TimWinter posted:

the short answer to your question is "no".

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TimWinter posted:

clang targets windows natively now. firefox and chrome are both built with it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
*CLANG!* *CLANG!* windows fuckin sucks!!

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Silver Alicorn posted:

*CLANG!* *CLANG!* windows fuckin sucks!!

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

MrMoo posted:

Is video acceleration in a browser available yet in Linux? :lol:

Firefox is almost there, I'm wondering how well it will work considering that Chromium Team know it's a mess.

I think you still need goofy packages that hack nVidia drivers if you want to enable VP8/9.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration

yep, both browsers. i was shocked myself, but somewhere around chromium 89 or 90 they readded support for vaapi in plain linux again, so as long as you enable it in chrome://flags you have vaapi support now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

TimWinter posted:

visual studio is one of many IDEs available on windows. the build tool and compilers that are used by VS are separate components and can (and are) used by 3rd party IDEs and tools. You can also add your own build tools and compilers to VS in various ways. Or you can use 3rd party IDEs and 3rd party compilers and 3rd party build tools.

the reason you dont hear about too many people doing that is that VS is just so much better than every other option. All the same dev tools for linux will work on windows but they are absolute garbage. linux users just dont know any better so they assume its some kind of plot by microsoft to force people to use VS.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

good old days~

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

visual studio is really really good, it's worth selling out for

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shaggar posted:

linux users just dont know any better so they assume its some kind of plot by microsoft to force people to use VS.

tbf "being better than the competition" actually literally is a plot by microsoft to get them to use vs but not in the way theyre thinking

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol, true.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

visual studio's debugger suite is nice but msbuild and cl and everything else can kiss my rear end in a top hat tbh

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

those controls, especially the green check OK and red X cancel were awesome in 1993

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

TimWinter posted:

it used to be that’s how every platform was; Unix was really the first significant departure from that before microcomputers became a thing

even once microcomputers were a thing, you generally only had one “shared” ecosystem with any number of “siloed” ecosystems: S-100 & 8080/Z80 & CP/M vs everyone, PC/AT & MS-DOS/Windows & x86 vs everyone, etc.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

~the unix philosophy~

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the unix philosophy was saving up a lifetime of jizz and then dying alone

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
windows plays games. linux runs like what, node apps? gently caress that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

I thought the unix philosophy was saving up a lifetime of jizz and then dying alone

take your kinks somewhere else

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Bored Online posted:

windows plays games. linux runs like what, node apps? gently caress that

Dors windows even have wayland supprot?? Didnt htink so !

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Dont Touch ME posted:

Dors windows even have wayland supprot?? Didnt htink so !

neither does linux

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

neither does linux

Wayland doesn't have Wayland support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Linux barely has Wayland support

I was looking at what it’d take to port a Wayland compositor to macOS since it’s been suggested that might be a better foundation for an X server than the current support that’s in the OS for XQuartz

yeah, lots of “all the world’s a Linux” bullshit assumptions baked into the implementations even if they’re not technically part of the protocol

at least Wayland is architecturally better than X11, it’s basically equivalent to the macOS windowserver so actually implementing a compositor from spec should be straightforward (not that I’m going to take that on, XQuartz works well enough for talking to my old computers and Open Genera)