Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Poopernickel posted:

rms is a sort of a creep, no doubting it - he's not an epstein defender at all though, that's 100% wrong and it's a hatchet job

what he said was that marvin minsky (a prof at MIT who hooked up with a couple of epstein's girls) probably didn't know they were coerced into being there

very different statement than defending epstein

THE CHILD RAPIST DEFENDER HAS LOGGED THE gently caress ON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Poopernickel posted:

rms is a sort of a creep, no doubting it - he's not an epstein defender at all though, that's 100% wrong and it's a hatchet job

what he said was that marvin minsky (a prof at MIT who hooked up with a couple of epstein's girls) probably didn't know they were coerced into being there

whoa i almost missed this,

stop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

ban Linux users from the forums imo

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i confess that I ‘upgraded’ a computer to wandows 10 today (mea maxima culpa)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 is really good

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
windows 10 is ok because they finally added virtual desktops and linux compatibility. I wish I could uninstall the loving xbox app without powers hell hacks tho, at least candy crush was deletable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I spent forever trying to get a sound input in the computer to come directly out of the speakers

I had to google some poo poo and paste a long command into the run on the start bar to bring up the legacy audio input screen

they hosed up the control panel etc becasue they didn't replace it, only some of it, but made the parts they didnt replace very very difficult to find

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I believe in you and your abilities

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

what sort of garbage dumpster op do you work at that doesnt have home directory structures pushed via central management? yall just renting aws clusters and slapping the Amazon Linux button and telling people you're a "cloud" company?

congrats on your super flat homogenous work environment that doesn't have legacy or security zones or airgapped systems or any of the other poo poo some of us have to work with i guess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we're running w7 on 2 of our 3 pcs

wait till something fucks up, I think is when we're gonna fix them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

I spent forever trying to get a sound input in the computer to come directly out of the speakers

I had to google some poo poo and paste a long command into the run on the start bar to bring up the legacy audio input screen

they hosed up the control panel etc becasue they didn't replace it, only some of it, but made the parts they didnt replace very very difficult to find

if this was linux you’d be compiling sound daemons and trying to get them to talk to each other in a laggy and unreliable audio routing network

*alsamixer shows 256 volume sliders, the right combination of which must be set to various levels so that the master volume control works in human-scale increments*

matti
Mar 31, 2019

wsl2 is really good

like it literally just works

matti
Mar 31, 2019

though i did have to compile qemu from source to get it work but thats an edge case

and i use opensuse

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

rms has some weird and bad opinions, also he's maybe a creep and probably not a good spokesperson for free software

but he also wrote the GPL and he wrote the original gcc, gdb, gnu make, gnu emacs, some of binutils, and some of coreutils. Linux (as we know it) wouldn't exist without him.

so you're saying is that once we figure out time travel we can correct this horrible mistake

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

free software existed before the GPL, and there was a thriving shareware/public domain scene that grew up completely independently in the pre-internet days. the GPL is just RMS trying to take credit for something that already existed, and make everyone do things his way because he's an idiot zealot

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

matti posted:

wsl2 is really good

like it literally just works

that’s because it’s just linux

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Poopernickel posted:

linux is The One True Operating System (TOTOS) as given to us by our lord and savior st iGNUcious

sorry I'm late. I find it preposterous to presume that stallman could build and manage development of a working operating system kernel

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Phobeste posted:

nice, did you make this decision while wearing the black tee that says no i won't fix your computer or the one that says stand back.... it's time to try science

mostly because i fully intend the giftee in this case to install win10 but if i provide something that just works for games maybe they won't have to go to the trouble

i'm trying to be helpful here okay

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

we're running w7 on 2 of our 3 pcs

wait till something fucks up, I think is when we're gonna fix them

:rip:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Silver Alicorn posted:

sorry I'm late. I find it preposterous to presume that stallman could build and manage development of a working operating system kernel

that's because he didn't? unless that's the joke

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Neslepaks posted:

congrats on your super flat homogenous work environment that doesn't have legacy or security zones or airgapped systems or any of the other poo poo some of us have to work with i guess

yep thx

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

:bahgawd:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nothing can go wrong

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hi this is my first time in YOSPOS, and this is the first thread I clicked on. I just have to say that this thread was a perfect introduction into this subforum and I look forwards to posting with you all in the future.

Anyways I use a chromebook. :q:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

nice avatar

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
gosh there are some real bad posts itt

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

graph posted:

gosh there are some real bad posts itt

it happens

burning swine
May 26, 2004

operating systems: they're bad

hey shaggs how are you feeling about win10 mail now that it has ads

burning swine fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 30, 2019

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
WSL is great because now if you use putty you're a huge idiot instead of a normal idiot whos stuck with the only ssh client on windows.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

umalt posted:

Anyways I use a chromebook. :q:

your operation system is a piece of poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

to anyone else who was confused he is talking about the static "get the outlook app for your phone" button. which is pretty dumb. especially since they don't check if you already have it.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 30, 2019

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to anyone else who was confused he is talking about the static "get the outlook app for your phone" button. which is pretty dumb. especially since they don't check if you already have it.

who cares? only morons use windows mail.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

its makin me mad. especially since I already have the outlook app on my phone with the same account.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the outlook app is very bad. they should release the win10 mail app for ios instead.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

akadajet posted:

who cares? only morons use windows mail.

it's mostly perfectly fine. i'm on three different o365 accounts and it is a pretty safe bet for just punching all the credentials into to keep an eye on.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows 10 mail is the best mail app on any platform. outlook mobile is bad and mail.app in ios is really bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'm on three different o365 accounts

ouch

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Why is the Outlook app not just a wrapper around owa

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its makin me mad.

sounds like it's doing it's job well then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

your operation system is a piece of poo poo

Fine, how about I install ESXi on it?

Then only ever boot into a single Windows VM.