Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Time for a rousing game of The Sims 3. Here’s how it’ll work. You tell me what to do. I do it. That’s it. Just like real life, we do this until our Sim dies, and we win! No request is too dumb, no goal too outrageous, no target too high, unless I really don’t feel like doing it.

Lighten up, the last part was a joke. Although there are also a few things I won’t do, being moving in a bunch of Sims to control, killing other Sims, or moving locations. You also have to allow me to turn down requests I outright don't know how to incorporate, requests that may counteract and undo another person's request (instead of simply modify), or requests which would be too centralizing or tedious write for. But generally, even if your request isn’t possible by the game’s limitations, I’ll do my best to get as close as I can to it. At this point, we’re not even playing a game, but telling a story. Or something like that.

We’ll start small. Smaller than small, as a matter of fact. We’ll start with nothing. Homeless, with nothing to our name besides an empty lot and a dream. Where our Sim’s life will lead is up to you. And me, but I’m lazy, so mostly you. And remember, the dumber, rash, and irresponsible the request...the better!

Enough introductions, let’s get started with the introduction.

CONTENTS:

Introduction Part 1: Looks
Introduction Part 2: Personality
Introduction Part 3: Freedom

Part 1: Wieners
Part 2: Garbage
Part 3: Beats

Q&A:

What speed do you have the aging set to?

What I feel like. Generally I have it on and it’s pretty slow. In normal playthroughs, I tend to have it fairly quick as I burn through the game. But here, it’s as slow as can be so I can have some semblance of control over this chaos.

What neighborhood are you playing in?

A heavily modified Sunset Valley, adjusted to include all DLC content in one neighborhood, from one of each type of bar to each level of diving area. It's been heavily tested so there's no issues with pathfinding, triggers being weird, or textures and models messing up (which is surprisingly the most tedious issue to rectify). The only things that are missing are buildings which are connected to sub-neighborhoods, like tourist destinations, the future, or university lots.

I also went and plucked out families from all the other default neighborhoods and slammed them into this modified Sunset Valley, so you’ll probably see some familiar faces here and there. Mixed in are a couple of families from my own personal playthroughs. Basically, unless you’re familiar with the town’s layout and the game’s multiple families, you probably won’t be able to recognize anything.

Can I download this neighborhood?

Sure. I’ll upload the files...eventually.

What DLCs do you have?

All content DLC, no “stuff” packs. And none of that disgusting EA “premium store content.” Bleck.

All of them…? Isn’t that, like, hundreds of dollars?

Yeah.

...Look, it’s okay. I sold a Team Fortress 2 hat for it, so at least it was some other idiot’s money that went to EA instead of this idiot’s.

If I download the neighborhood, do I need all the DLC?

The game is made to “replace” DLC content with its closest equivalent if you don’t own it. What that means, I don’t know. But I can at least guarantee you that if you don’t own the DLC and use this neighborhood...something...will certainly happen, I guess.

I mean, it should work at the very least. You just might need to do some fine tuning. Or give EA your money for the DLC like a good consumerist lemming.

What custom content are you using?

None. Everything you see is either from the base game or my own handiwork. A majority of the buildings are also the DLC buildings but mixed with other DLC content.

Are you using mods?

Are you kidding? Yes! The mods I use are “Overwatch,” which generally just keeps the game running smoothly, “Dresser,” which makes it so NPCs don’t all look plain and boring, "Traffic" which allows the access of food trucks in normal neighborhoods, and “Story Progression,” as EA’s default story progression is heavily flawed and, to be frank, underwhelming. With the progression of this thread, I also downloaded a mod that made the monocle available for all post-teen ages, since it's restricted to only adults for some reason.

Oh, I also have a mod that skips the in-game intro, but you obviously won’t see that in practice.

Should I buy this game? Is there anything I need to keep in mind while playing it, or mods I should download?

It’s the best Sims game by far (with Sims 4 being a step backwards in my opinion) but the Sims isn’t for everyone. It’s a casual game first and foremost, so it’s very chill and laid-back. Also there’s mountains of DLC, but you can nab a few on sale through Steam. Just don’t buy any labeled as “stuff” packs, they’re not worth it.

This handy guide gives you all the optimizations you need to know. Don’t worry about the mods section of it, I’ll tell you which ones are important in a bit, and don’t bother downloading software like save cleaners and stuff like that. A few tweeks to the .ini files should get you good to go, and you don’t even need to be technically minded.

In terms of mods, the most vital one everyone should download is the nude mod Overwatch, which basically cleans up the game automatically for extended playthroughs. Otherwise your game will invariably start to chug the longer you go on. Story Progression, which controls NPCs that aren’t a part of your active family, is also vital if you want a more engaging playthrough. Using the default story progression eventually turns your neighborhood into a ghost town and the interactions it allows are extremely limited. I highly recommend it, and this is coming from a person who is generally apprehensive towards game mods. Lastly, Dresser just allows NPCs to gain makeup or accessories like glasses, which for some reason isn’t a part of the base game. All three of these mods can be found on “Nrass,” a Sims-specific modding website. No mod handler is needed, you just download the files, drop them into your Packages folder, and it works right out of the box. All of these mods have pesky pop-up notifications, but you can turn them off (and their download pages explain how).

Two more tips before you play, though. The first is make two schools for your neighborhood when you play. One you need to make yourself, and the second should just be the school that's there already (although you must delete and then replace it so all the students get reassigned between both schools). Reason being is otherwise child Sims will pile up outside of the school as their pathfinding can’t get past each other. The second and final tip is if you install Into The Future, the final DLC for the Sims 3, “Opportunities” will break due to a bug. This specific mod (which also goes into your Packages folder with no further installation) fixes that issue.

How do you get pictures like these?

Pushing tab in-game gives you a more sophisticated camera, with unique controls like being able to use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. I also use two cheat commands, hideHeadlineEffects on and fadeObjects off, which hides any other in-game elements (such as the plumbbob marker and thought bubbles) and lets me do extreme close-ups. I’ll also be cheeky and just edit photos from time to time.

Hey, what happened to that other Sims 3 thread?

You remember that? I don’t even remember that, and I made the thing.

It got lost after a dead graphics card, a harddrive wipe, a new motherboard, and an upgraded OS.

Funny thing is, it survived all of that. But the save got corrupted because the game crashed during a save and quit. Always keep at least two save slots, kids.

Anyways, thanks to Kojiro for this fabulous fanart before we trash the legacy of our old Sim, Samara.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
INTRODUCTION PART 1: LOOKS

All the criteria is taken! The next step is right here!

• Hair
    Geemer says: "As big a rainbow afro you can manage. With a backwards baseball cap somewhere on top at a 45° angle."

• Eyes:
    Poil says: "As circular as possible, orange, tiny eyelashes and the biggest and hairiest caterpillars we can get (preferably a monobrow). Let's ruin his life right from the start. :cheers:"

• Head:
    DentD says: "As square/rectangular shaped as possible. Ears should be the opposite of elf ears. Very small and round tips, very long and downward pointing lobes. The default expression should be a sneer of disgust, like he just stepped in dogshit AND he's better than every other Sim in the neighborhood."

• Nose:
    SelenicMartian says: "The fattest longest most crooked nose you can get. The game must consider it a legitimate perch for birds with legs of unequal length, and also an awning."

• Mouth:
    cant cook creole bream says: "Minimal lips, freckles and the fattest double-chin you can make. But thin cheeks."

• Facial hair:
    biosterous says: "A dastardly, devilish mustache."

• Skin color:
    Picayune says: "Absolutely the pastiest basement-dwellerish white you got. Bonus points if it looks slightly sticky. :v:"

Siegkrow says: "I get to pick the first? Gender: Male. Let's get this going :toot:"

• Body shape:
    Jiru says: "Let's make him as thin as the game allows, but give him ripped muscles. We'll play the Atomic Ant here."

• Body hair:
    Blaze Dragon says: "Just enough to look extremely manly but not enough to look disheveled. Gotta follow the rest here."

• Glasses:
    Rather Watch Them says: "Monocle! If we're doing this we're doing it in style."

• Accessories:
    The Flying Twybil says: "Fingerless Gloves and one small earring he got the piercing for as a bet. He wears it as a conversation starter."

• Extra:
    Astrofig says: "Favorite color is the most vomit-like green possible, voice is as high and screechy as possible, favorite food is cat food ( or like, beans if cat food isn't an option), favorite music is anime soundtracks, star sign is Virgo (because of course our weeb is a virgin!)"

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 31, 2019

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I get to pick the first?

Let's get this going :toot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eyes: Round eyes, orange color, tiny eyelashes and the biggest and hairiest caterpillars we can get (preferably a monobrow). Looking good. :cheers:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Nose: The fattest longest most crooked nose you can get.

The game must consider it a legitimate perch for birds with legs of unequal length, and also an awning.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Skin color: absolutely the pastiest basement-dwellerish white you got. Bonus points if it looks slightly sticky. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

The game must consider it a legitimate perch for birds with legs of unequal length, and also an awning.
Are we talking marabou storks here?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Facial hair: a dastardly, devilish moustached

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Body shape: Let's make him as thin (and short? is that an option?) as the game allows, but give him ripped muscles. We'll play the Atomic Ant here.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Glasses: Monocle! If we're doing this we're doing it in style.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Mouth: Minimal lips, freckles and the fattest double-chin you can make. But thin cheeks.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
I share the opinion that Sims 4 was a step backwards, and the Sims 3 remains one of my favorite games to perform the oddest antics possible. Dynasty challenges are an odd, but unique thing.

This character shall also be an odd but unique thing quite the dashing figure. The town will swoon at his fashion sense.

Accessories: Fingerless Gloves and one small earring he got the piercing for as a bet. He wears it as a conversation starter.

He must always wear fingerless gloves where possible, even with a formal suit. They say he has a model's hands and it would be a shame to not show those off.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 30, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Body hair: just enough to look extremely manly but not enough to look disheveled. Gotta follow the rest here.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hair: As big a rainbow afro you can manage. With a backwards baseball cap somewhere on top at a 45° angle.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

This guy is gonna look horrible.
The gooniest goon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Glad to see this is back. Hope you blow up another toilet.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Head: As square/rectangular shaped as possible. Ears should be the opposite of elf ears. Very small and round tips, very long and downward pointing lobes. I have no idea if that's possible but I'm asking for it anyway. The default expression should be a sneer of disgust, like he just stepped in dogshit AND he's better than every other Sim in the neighborhood.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Extra: favorite color is the most vomit-like green possible, voice is as high and screechy as possible, favorite food is cat food ( or like, beans if cat food isn't an option), favorite music is anime soundtracks, star sign is Virgo (because of course our weeb is a virgin!)

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Alright, we're all set. I'll update with the next segment once our Sim is made.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh poo poo this is back? gently caress yes!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, just looking at whatever's going to come out of these posts is alone going to make this LP extremely worth reading.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

He's going to be beautiful. :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

He's going to be Cyrano de Bergerac.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
He's going to be Miror B's classy cousin...

Shellception fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 30, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Jiru posted:

He's going to be Miror B's classy cousin...

Hey, he could just steal borrow the theme song.

It'll be a snazzy tune for a classy dude- I'd say it fits.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
INTRODUCTION PART 2: PERSONALITY

Hello. This is our Sim. Grug. Grug von Burgrave

And much like where he's in right now, he's an empty void.

How about we fix that?

I wasn't referring to the empty void when I said that.

Technically speaking, he's still in an empty void, so that still doesn't fix the issue.

What I meant is, well, why don't we add a little personality to the man behind the Grug von Burgrave name, shall we?

You may be taking this too literally.

I guess we should start by nixing the empty void issue, though.

That's better. Here we are, with nothing more than an empty lot, a town, and a dream.

And also penniless. I don't know if this is considered "homeless" since Mr. von Burgrave still technically owns property.

But that's a matter for another day. As for tonight, we need to consider what personality to give Grug.

Since there's a wide variety of traits and an even wider variety of people to choose them, we'll settle this with a raffle.

With this list, pick three traits. You can use this guide to read up on what each trait does, but most of them are decipherable from name alone. You can also pick the same trait two or three times if you really, really want Grug to have it.

After a few days, I'll tally up the votes each trait receives and randomly select five traits from the list, weighted by the total number of votes each trait has. Once this is all said and done, I'll reveal Grug's personality and we begin the game proper. To begin, I'll cast my own vote for the three traits to give Grug:

My vote for the three traits is two for Proper, and one for Technophobe. Don't let my own preference sway you, however, and feel free to pick whatever trait you deem appropriate or desirable. Just keep in mind that if you vote for "Absent-Minded" and it gets chosen, I will personally despise you and everything you stand for. Have fun!

(The next part is here.)

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 4, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Too bad his afro is hidden by that hat. Oh well. He looks like a:
Diva with commitment issues that is never nude.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Three for Evil

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He looks like an over-emotional couch potato loser

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Theta Zero posted:

Just keep in mind that if you vote for "Absent-Minded" and it gets chosen, I will personally despise you and everything you stand for. Have fun!

Aw, Absent-Minded isn't that bad! It sometimes makes for easy, wholesome relationships! I mean, the random forgetting of actions is a bit distressing when you have an entire family of airheads, but hey, chaos can be fun right?

Easily Impressed is probably my favorite trait since a lot of my most memorable sims ended up with it, but I don't think it's a good fit for Grug.

I'll put a vote in for Proper, Neurotic, and Diva. He's a classy man and he knows it. Coming from a homeless background, he's no snob, but he needs to make sure everyone knows he's great...or not. Depending on his mood.

Man, if only hidden traits were on the list. I'd vote for Pizza Appreciator in a heartbeat.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As a spirit of goons, he must be a Cowardly, Lonely Loser.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
To move up in the world, he'll need to mooch and schmooze his way to the top. He is a bit eccentric though

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

+5 shar-teel

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Schmooze, mooch, diva

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Two for Ambitious, One for Schmoozer

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

HardDiskD posted:

Three for Evil

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I think I'm going to go with Clumsy, Unstable, and a little Rebellious. Also, it's nice to see this LP is back. I enjoyed it last time!

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Proper, Diva, and Clumsy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm going to give him Hydrophobic, Proper, and Evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mooch, brooding, and hates the outdoors