Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

asymmetrical posted:

My Sims dream has always been to befriend a Unicorn, but it's quite the undertaking. Can Grug schmooze his way into even the hearts of supernatural animals?
This one's a little tough because you have be super lucky to get a chance to do this. I won't keep track of this, but I'll seize the opportunity the moment it happens just because it's so rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
PART 1: WIENERS

Okay, what did we all decide, today?

☐ Visit a neighbor and flip a coin
☐ Mooch
☐ Locate the progenitor
☐ Befriend the prettiest of ponies
☐ Become a wiener
☐ Build a wiener-bot
☐ Invest in some wine

"Flip a coin?" That's easy, especially since a coin is all Grug has.

Heads we make our neighbor an enemy, tails we hate him.

Ah!

This coin is the same on either side.

So we'll just do both.

Now, which neighbor to choose from...?

Huh.

Never noticed that one.

Guess they're real big on privacy.

They even got one of those things from the drive-throughs. Let's order a cheeseburger.

"KZZTBRRRZZZTT--ello. Uh... Did it get that? ...No? Okay, I'll start over. Hello."

"You reached the house of Jan..."

"♫♪ 'THE MAAA-AAAN' (WOOOAH-HO-HOOO) ♪♫"

"...McHarris."

"Um... Because I'm too drunk...or hungover...or asleep...or any combination of the three to...er..."

"I-I guess this is a "phone?'"

"Since I'm too 'something' to come to the 'other something' right now, please leave a message so I can ignore you later."

"...This thing can take messages, ri--? *BEEP*"

Oh, that is the last straw! Just shirking off Grug like that!? You've just made yourself a mortal enemy, buddy!

I mean, we already decided that you were a mortal enemy before even coming here.

But now we have justification! Big mistake!

Whatever. Let's go find somebody else to annoy.

...Man, Grug has some perfect posture, doesn't he?

After a long trek to the other side of town, Grug found this quaint little home.

Okay, it was actually just across the street, but this is technically the furthest Grug has walked yet.

Peek-a-boo...

Grug seee-eees you...

...Where is everyone?

Why isn't there anybody home at 1PM on a Tuesday?

Oh, there they are.

How'd she do that?

"Odd" is a nice way of putting it.

Hey, I forgot about this. Since Grug is "proper," he greets people with a bow.

He also keeps trying to put on a suit whenever I leave him alone for five seconds, but that's another story.

That's also the most painfully fake smile I've seen in a while. Then again, she's probably concerned that Grug might start smashing things if she sets him off.

Grug, however, immediately deduces the reason we're here to begin with.

We'll save that for later, though.

Speaking of fake smiles.

Grug set a good precedent, what with peeping into her home and greeting her like a 1800's headmaster. With a little more smooth talking, let's see if she'll let him inside, which is just what we need to begin the wienerfication.

...It's...going to be a lot better than it sounds.

See, now that's an expression I can believe.

She might just be playing along in hopes that Grug leaves sooner.

Good plan, actually. Now where's the dresser in this dump?

Perfect.

Grug managed to procure the household wienersuit, a standard outfit for all modern homes.

He'll have this suit stored away to wear off and on with his usual outfit.

With that, our business here is...mostly complete.

There's just one little thing Grug needs to take care of.

Let's just lowball it for now.

There, now doesn't that look like a face you can trust, especially with your hard-earned money and wienersuit?

I can't believe that worked.

...Okay, "worked" is subjective since it's the literal smallest amount she could've given us, but it's still a net positive.

Now that we've settled all that, let's set about our main task: locating the progenitor.

Luckily, public transport is free in this town...for some reason, so Grug held on to his precious $1.

A quick ride through the subway and we've reached our destination: the one place I know we can found the progenitor.

A bar!

A hoity-toity bar, at that. I've no doubt that we're certain to find the progenitor there...maybe at a 15% chance or so.

All that stands between Grug and the bar is...

...The bouncer.

Come on, why is it that nobody takes Grug seriously in this town!?

There's "no way" Grug can sneak past you, eh? Well...

...That's a fairly reasonable assertion.

How's uh...one entire dollar sound?

Hah, try not to spend it all in once place...'cause, um, well, Grug just did.

Oh.

...Can I have that $1 back, then?

Gee, didn't see that coming.

Okay, backup plan. Let's just take the passive approach and wait for the progenitor on the beach.

Besides, it's a cold, overcast day in the middle of spring, also known as "perfect beach weather."

Aaa-aaand now it's hailing.

No, you know what? That's perfect.

Between the freezing cold and constantly being pelted by ice, this is all Grug needs to stay awake and keep a vigilant eye open for--

Zzz...

Whaugh--?

Who dares awaken Grug from his slumber!?

With MIDI chiptunes!?

Oh, hey. I guess that lady accidentally left her phone in the wienersuit.

Who's even calling her?

Oh. It's her.

She must be looking for it.

Hey! Grug found your phone, don't worry about it getting lost!

As a matter of fact, he'll hold onto it so it never gets lost again!

You want it back?

Uh...

Ahh! A...a pelican! Oh no, it took the phooo-ooo...

...ooone.

...Grug's hungry.

There's a salon right beside the beach. Maybe we can find a vending machine hiding away somewhere.

Euewg... Socialites.

High-class reprobates who use money as a barrier to distinguish themselves and disguise their base, simplistic designs--

VENDING MACHINE.

GRUG.

SMAAA-AAASH!

Anybody got a dollar?

Nobody?

Very well...vending machine.

...Our worthy adversary!

You've incurred Grug's wrath!

Let's see how you withstand the mighty...

Grug shoulder check!

*KAH-CHUNK!*

Huh. First try.

Honestly, I was expecting that to crush Grug before it ever gave up something. Brute force wins again.

Ahh...

There's nothing quite as refreshing as a nice orange soda after a tiring session of utilizing mindless violence for personal gain and sustenance.

Huh? I didn't even know that was thing!

Brute force wins again...again!

$1000! That's like...a thousand times more than $1!

Skills? Careers? Ambitions? Who needs any of those when you just have blind, stupid luck!?

Let's just keep ramming this thing until more golden cans come out!

Wait, even better! Why wait for another golden can come out?

Why not just smash it down, rip it open, and tear out every golden can that can be found inside of--!

...I feel like I've heard a story about this, before.

You know what? That was a productive day. We found a wiener suit, lost a dollar, and drank soda.

Let's celebrate this one thou with some careless spending!

This is the perfect opportunity to invest in the wienery-winery business, starting with this wine rack to begin our business!

So, uh...

...When does the wine come out?

...Okay, well...at the very least, it really brings the drywall and clock together.

Actually, that sure was a long day. I could spend a bit more of that money to buy a bed...

But since Grug has the dramatic trait, he can fall asleep whenever he pleases.

Ahh...nothing like saving money.

☑ Visit a neighbor and flip a coin
☑ Mooch
☐ Locate the progenitor
☑ Become a wiener
☑ Invest in some wine

Grug accomplished a lot today. Pop in and suggest whatever you'd like him to do tomorrow.

(The next part is here.)

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 20, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scavenge some things to sell

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
get revenge on the bouncer who outsmarted grug

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OOrochi posted:

get revenge on the bouncer who outsmarted grug
Yeah! Show that grunt who is going to be bouncing around here.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
Grug still needs to make some useful minions good friends. Especially ones that will foot the bill for meals or help him with his starting winery business. Let's go find some gullible nice people to recruit befriend.

The more of a workaholic they are, the better. Either that, or someone beefy who can take on that bouncer for us.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Gotta start the wiener empire properly by

The Flying Twybil posted:

Grug still needs to make some useful minions good friends. Especially ones that will foot the bill for meals or help him with his starting winery business. Let's go find some gullible nice people to recruit befriend.

The more of a workaholic they are, the better. Either that, or someone beefy who can take on that bouncer for us.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Theta Zero posted:

PART 1: WIENERS
I'm getting strong Gordon Frohman vibes from that face. He just needs a crown to be a proper Sausage King.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 11, 2020

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
This feels like Waluigi, especially after reading the Kickstarter comic that came out recently.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
PART 2: GARBAGE

☐ Locate the progenitor
☐ Scavenge for sustenance
☐ Make a friend
☐ Get revenge on the bouncer

Revenge...on gate man?

...Or...

Revenge...on rope lady?

Water fall from sky.

Make Grug cold and wet! And angry!

Revenge on sky water!

Now Grug colder and wetter. Same angry, though.

Grug also tired of talk like this.

Time for breakfast. The benefit of living in such a busy town is that there's always a place to eat if you're resourceful enough. For instance, this community center.

I like to imagine the sign matching Grug's exact pose is iconography explicitly warning about Grug crossing.

Ah, my old adversary.

We meet again.

Thought you could hide yourself by changing your appearance and delicious contents, did you?

Whether sugary drinks or sugary foods, nothing can protect you...

From the patented Grug shoulder check!

What say you now, machine?

Ah, so you submit to your bipedal better, then? A wise move.

Your wrapped goods are Grug's now.

Oh, violence. Is there anything you can't solve?

Ah! You've tricked Grug with the second, auxiliary wrapper! But you'll still not win!

After all, Grug needs more fiber in his diet.

...A diet which, all things considered, has consisted of a single soda and now a candy bar.

...Yep, all that plastic is going to be sitting in Grug's intestinal tract for a few years. Can practically feel it piling up.

Now that's taken care of, let's dig through garbage.

There's a tiny little commercial district that's not too far a walk from here.

And where there's consumerism...

...There's piles of garbage.

My God...

...It's full of...

...Trash.

Don't know why you would expect anything else.

Unfortunately, the good stuff is always at the bottom.

Oh well. In for a penny. Literally in this case.

Whew, it smells even worse on the updraft.

Alright, just...hold your breath.

Augh, it's warm! Why is it warm!?

And garbage is just...shooting out!

Not as in it's getting pushed out, it's, like, shooting out as if it's highly pressurized!

Are there gas pockets? There has to be gas pockets for it to shoot out like that!

Oh, yeah, there's pockets of gas! Augh, it's like...if bubble wrap was filled with the scent of a public bathroom and swamp gas!

That was fun.

What's in the haul?

A computer...

...And this...thing. It sounded like a cool robot, but it's just some toy.

Well, it is a cool robot, too. But it's still just a toy.

That's not half bad. The computer costs up to $400 to buy. The toy...not so much. I think I'll keep both, though. But we need a place to put them.

A quick trip to the sketchy part of town leads to the junkyard.

See, it's the bad part of the neighborhood because there's wild horses.

You won't find the best stuff laying around here, but you can certainly find...stuff.

Like this chair! This perfectly...sort of passable chair.

This desk we conveniently found, however, is a bit too roughed up to--

Ow! Ow! Hail! It's hailing again!

We'll have to pay out of pocket for a desk to complete the set. Naturally, I picked the most expensive desk Grug could afford so we have no money again.

Combined with the clock, we have a nice little workstation.

An...open-air workstation, I guess.

After all that dumpster diving, Grug smells absolutely delightful.

Since he doesn't have a shower, we'll stick to abusing public resources. Best place to wash off is the showers at the public pool.

At the very least, nobody's showing up since it's hailing in the middle of spring, so it's technically a "private" pool for the time being.

Which is nice given that these showers are anything but "private."

...Huh.

You know, I guess this the first time Grug's ever taken off his hat. And shirt.

I'm not sure what to say about either.

After an extra long shower to pick the bits of filth out from his everywhere, Grug's all cleaned up.

He was in for so long, the weather actually cleared up a bit and got warmer. It's quite nice.

Ah. But now here's something not as nice.

Commoners.

Look at them...frolicking about without a care in the world. Yelling, screaming, splashing water everywhere. No dignity. No composure. No regard for--

Is that a food truck!?

FOOD TRUCK!

GRUG HUNGERS! GRUG DEMANDS SUSTENANCE!

FOOD!

GREASE!

...All in the form of the clam chowder, please.

What do you mean you won't serve it in fine porcelain? Why? Is Grug not good enough for it!?

You don't have any!? What kind of dining establishment is--

...Eugh.

That guy looks like...well, how Grug looks. Like a bum. Useless. A nobody.

This isn't how Grug should be living...

Roaming the town for his next meal, a place to wash, a place to sleep. Being forced to share his living space with mere commoners. Screaming, yelling, jeering commoners.

Yet here he is. Mingling among them as a silent spectator. Forced to watch as he has no choice but to gobble down his disgusting, cheap, gruel-like clam chowder, bought from a traveling food truck no less!

There will be a time when Grug finally writhes, scratches, and climbs his way up the social ladder. To sit at the top, looking down upon the masses.

And when that time comes, as he tilts his head to watch the mere commoners scuttling about below, he will not laugh. He will not smile.

He will only frown. Shaking his head, knowing that he too walked among the nameless, faceless collective. Then he shall turn back and continue living the life of luxury he had deserved all along.

His fantasy will come, some day...but as for now, he his forced to live this reality.

Huh. This clam chowder is pretty good, actually.

Okay. It's finally noon.

Time to give the bouncer who turned Grug away what for.

Oh, she got a new hat. It looks really nice.

And she got a tan.

And a blonde dye job.

And she lost weight.

All within the course of a day.

This isn't the same bouncer.

She sure looks much nicer, though.

A-a-ahem! Perhaps we should take this opportunity to start off on a much better foot, hmm?

It is Grug von Burgrave who is blessed by your presence, madam.

And who does he owe the honor?

Lyndsey, huh?

She's also trying to brighten Grug's day as an opener, too.

She doesn't just look nicer than the old bouncer. She is nicer than the old bouncer!

I'm not complaining, since that's a free mood boost for a little while.

That's Grug-speak for "tell a joke."

Still, it's surprising how well Grug not only hit it off, but behaved with her.

If only for more ulterior motives.

Back to business, then?

I don't think we'll see that old bouncer again. But, at the same time, I'm not going to try getting Grug to befriend this bouncer. It's a pain getting them to do anything since they're stuck at their job whenever their workplace is open.

But I will do this.

This really is the best bouncer!

She even octupled Grug's "investment" from the last bouncer!

High five!

...It's the thought that counts.

Well, besides finding a friend, all that's left is to find the progenitor once and for all.

I guess...the park will do? It's the only other place I can think of.

You know, after giving some time to reflect about today...

I mean, beyond playing in garbage. Perhaps Grug shouldn't hold onto the past so much.

Things happen, people come and go, and you can't let bygones from before influence the bygones to come, right?

Grug took so much time out of the day just to get back at that bouncer, and almost involved an innocent bystander who took their place.

In the same sense, maybe it's time to abandon the progenitor, too. They're just a memory, and should stay that way. Grug should live in the present and look towards the future, not dwell on the past.

...Wait a second, as this a moral? Are we actually bothering trying to learn something from all of this?

This isn't some afterschool special, and we're not going to end everything by hugging it out and improving as people.

We're here to be dumb, act useless, and have zero influence on the random and stupid things that happen to us!

And by god, that's the way it's supposed to be! That's the way we like it!

And you know what!?

We should dig through more garbage.

There's some run-down apartments nearby. Not only are we assured to find a dumpster laying around, it's probably the nastiest, most filth-ridden trash heap out there.

So, you know, all the better.

...Wait a second....

That's...

That's...!

That's a T.V.!

You mean this town just has televisions laying around for Grug, too!? That's great!

So, what are you watching?

Kid's shows...?

I love kid's shows! They're hilarious!

Oh, is this the one with the rabbit!? I didn't even know they still aired this!

Man, you've got great tastes!

"I appreciate Sims who take it upon themselves to learn a new craft. Let's get to know each other better."

Oh, you think so? You've got great tastes too, miss...Samara, was it?

Perhaps you'd like to take a trip downtown? Grug knows a few good dump--I mean...commercial businesses to peruse.

...Oh. You're "Mrs." Samara.

So...you meant "get to know each other" platonically, then?

Works for me. Want to get drunk?

Woooaaa-uuugh...

Thiii-iiis is some ssstrooo-ooong stuff...

You don't...mmmess around!

...W-what did you say this wasss?

"Lllemonaaa-aaade?"

Oh, you mean liii-iiike...hard lemonade?

...Just "lemonade...?"

...Well, thanks for the fun time out.

"Hanging out with you really beats going solo. Please give me a call any time to chill!"

Oh, goodie. Grug finally made his first friend!

He's rather fond of Mrs. Samara as well. He'd enjoy becoming a good friend of hers.

Wow, today was more productive than I was anticipating!

And, given how much I expect out of Grug, that's not saying much.

Time to split for the night. Samara and Grug went their separate ways, with Grug heading back to the run down apartments.

"Why," you may ask?

Because, as we start the day in a literal pile of garbage, so shall we end the day in a literal pile of garbage.

This bed is fairly hard to come by...and for good reason. It isn't really great for sleeping in and absolutely tanks your hygiene stat.

But it's better than sleeping on the floor. Barely.

By the way, say "hello" to sleepytime Grug.

With all that said and done, Grug has achieved all of his goals...in some regard, despite having to strike out getting revenge on the bouncer and meeting the progenitor.

Perhaps some day he'll run into either out there in the wide open world, but it will be by chance, not choice.

☐ Locate the progenitor
☑ Scavenge for sustenance
☑ Make a friend
☐ Get revenge on the bouncer

With nothing left to do, feel free to suggest any goal for Grug to work towards next time!

(The next part is here.)

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 28, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Use the computer to learn a skill

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Learn how to create art and maybe make this world a bit more up to Grug's standards!
Also, plagiarism forgery fine art is a great way to make money.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Use the computer to learn a skill

What about using a computer to learn one in every skill?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Get a roof and three more walls

interpret this in the most interesting way you want

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Spruce up Grug's life with a house plant

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

We need a goony basement. This whole living above ground is wrong and full of disgusting sunlight.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Procure a boombox and throw a party.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

...si is Grug a runaway? Or was he abandoned?

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Grug spontaneously exists. No one knows how Grug came to be Grug, but Great Old One Worship was probably involved.

Also involved were snickerdoodles and the hobo from behind whatever passes for a 7/11 in the sims.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Siegkrow posted:

...si is Grug a runaway? Or was he abandoned?

His parents threw him out when he turned 18.

Months.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Theta Zero posted:

His parents threw him out when he turned 18.

Months.

That explains everything.

Except how buff he is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Siegkrow posted:

That explains everything.

Except how buff he is.

He's had to survive entirely on his own, on any and all garbage he could find. It's no surprise he developed some important muscle.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's not muscle, it's sinew.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

I think of it as just air, like a permanently inflated pufferfish with nothing actually behind it.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

biosterous posted:

Get a roof and three more walls

interpret this in the most interesting way you want
Man, this reminds me of the other LP where this gave Samara a 1x1 house with no way in.

Now that I think about it, I don't think it even had a roof...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So I'm sure this gets asked all of the time in Sims-related threads, but with the game on sale right now what are the priorities for getting DLC?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It really depends on your play type and what you want in your game. Seasons and Ambitions are a pretty good bet, Generations as well if you like playing families or legacy style.

But don’t bother with the stuff packs, they don’t add any new gameplay.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Moon Slayer posted:

So I'm sure this gets asked all of the time in Sims-related threads, but with the game on sale right now what are the priorities for getting DLC?
Keep in mind that the neighborhood I'm playing in has been heavily modified, but it includes all the DLC content available. Once I feel I've fully tested it, I'll put it up for download.

My personal list is:

- Seasons:
Big overall change to the game, a bunch of new mechanics and items, and nothing to complain about overall. Also automatically applies itself to all neighborhoods so you don't need to mess with anything or swap areas to fully enjoy the content.

- Into The Future
Neat time travel mechanic with tons of new skills and gameplay additions, but doesn't really affect the main neighborhood. You have to go out of your way for it, but it's highly entertaining.

- Generations
Has a bunch of cute stuff and neat new objects along with new mechanics. Is a cool addition, but occasionally you feel like the game forces you to play along with the new content at times (for instance, you have no choice for teens to go into a "teenaged angst" mode or adults going into a "midlife crisis" which severely affects the life you've built up for them thus far).

- World Adventures
Three giant worlds with unique skills each, puzzle/adventure gimmick, but you need to "vacation" out of the normal neighborhood to see it. You also tend to get sidequests to travel to the new areas a lot which, depending on your PC, will be somewhat annoying with load times.

- Island Paradise
A ton of water-based mechanics which are fun, new area is great, but the content only really works in that new area unless you work very hard to fit it into the normal neighborhoods (some of which it is literally incompatible, I think only Sunset Valley can have functional dive areas and you still need to make them yourself using debugging commands).

- Ambitions
Neat new jobs and cool new mechanics, along with a ton of new skills. Feels a little bit skimpy, though. This is the midpoint between "you should totally get this" and "you might not want to bother."

- Late Night
A ton of new mechanics like subways, apartments, skyrises, and celebrities. You need to place some of them manually into your neighborhood, though. Also adds mechanics involving bars and bands. The bar mechanic is oddly heavily focused on gameplay-wise, which is actually why I tend to involve visiting a bar in a lot of updates as a personal in-joke. But there's a lot of repeats in terms of bar varieties and, if you don't want skyscrapers clashing with your smallish looking neighborhood, personally making a bar takes a ton of guide reading.

- Supernatural
Fun magic stuff and new skills but it all feels oddly out of place. Also adds the annoying mechanic of lunar cycles, but you can turn those off. I am a huge fan of the spooky stuff, though (foggy town with abandoned buildings, paintings which turn creepy at night, and a Victorian-era theme).

- Showtime
Really fun for a while but feels a bit routine after some time, and isn't terribly complex. Also adds a bizarre social gaming aspect to it for Facebook moms or something and locks some items behind that, although you can find a mod which unlocks them without needing to bother with it.

- University Life
Just kind of annoying. The social groups added are irritating, degrees trivialize the game with how much money you make off of them, the whole "going through college" gimmick is tedious, and it feels like jobs were adjusted so that your ability to get promoted is lessened compared to the base game to compensate. The skills it adds are also gimmicky and limited, ultimately feeling underdeveloped and impractical (one skill of which literally doesn't have any use beyond letting you make more money at your job). I would suggest against this if it weren't for the cool new items and buildings it offers (like bowling alleys, arcades, and creamery shops).

- Pets
Pets sort of seem like a chore. Your mileage may vary, but I tend to just ignore pets in general. The buildings you need to place to fully capitalize on it are gigantic, unless you visit the town which comes with the add-on. I won't deny that the animals are absolutely adorable, but they just take too much of an investment for little reward.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Theta Zero posted:

- Pets
Pets sort of seem like a chore. Your mileage may vary, but I tend to just ignore pets in general. The buildings you need to place to fully capitalize on it are gigantic, unless you visit the town which comes with the add-on. I won't deny that the animals are absolutely adorable, but they just take too much of an investment for little reward.

I'd actually speak for Pets being pretty good if you actually want pets. They can be a bit of a chore, but with just two they can easily handle most of their own needs, and they're really great for keeping sim moods up as well. All three of them can be serious moneymakers if you put in the time to train them: dogs can find high quality ore on a regular basis, cats can pick up exotic minor pets like snakes, frogs, and birds, and horses can make nice piles of cash if you're raising a stallion.

The gameplay is a lot better implemented than, say, Sims 2 Pets, but they can amount to being a nuisance and also NPC sims have literally no idea how to care for their own pets.

I'm entirely biased on this regard because I think Appaloosa is the best town. I'm a sucker for autumn aesthetics.

Supernatural is alright, though it changes the tone of the games a whole lot. It also completely busts the mechanics because alchemy is overpowered, fairies ruin any need to do actual gardening, and wizard magic is stupidly lucrative.

Ambitions is perfectly nice, though it ruins any incentive to get them an actual job. You'll probably find yourself jealous that your sim's start-up business of making toys from scrap can easily pay the bills for a mansion. Still, it adds a good number of professions that keep your sims out of rabbit holes.

Again, this is all opinion. I personally found Seasons a bit bothersome, even if it is the best implemented one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

- University Life
the whole "going through college" gimmick is tedious, and it feels like jobs were adjusted so that your ability to get promoted is lessened compared to the base game to compensate.

I see nothing unrealistic about this.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
PART 3: BEATS

Ahh, torrential downpour.

Nature's alarm clock.

☐ Spray paint
☐ Use the computer to learn a skill
☐ Use the computer to learn every skill
☐ Build a room (according to whimsy)
☐ Add a houseplant
☐ Drop some hot beats
☐ Build a basement

Between being soaked, being cold, being smelly, and getting a bad night's sleep, I don't think there's a better combo to wake up to.

I suppose a "free" bed is also a "cheap" bed.

Oh well. What's on TV?

...I could've sworn there was a television here yesterday.

Okay, nix that. Grug reeks like a full body version of morning breath. Time to freshen up.

Luckily, this place comes with an accessible shower...plus bathroom.

What? No, don't be disgusting! The mini-shower, not the pool!

It's still cheap and it's still dirty, but at least it's less disgusting that whatever Grug just slept in.

While Grug was bathing, I got this popup. This is a feature of the Story Progression mod, where it will give little mini updates on people you're related to or friends with.

Looks like Samara's working her way up to becoming a teacher. How quaint.

Speaking of quaint, it's time for Grug to scavenge up some money to buy all those goodies he's wanting.

And I do mean "scavenge."

Alright, Claw. There's gotta be at least two, maybe three dollars worth of stuff in this machine.

Don't fail me now!

Go, Claw!

You're our only hope for the future!

Nooo-ooo!

This is fate, isn't it? Grug is forever cursed to wander the streets, the outside world, struggling with all his might just to survive.

Each and every day is Grug throwing himself to the wind, hoping that fate will allow him to live another 24 hours of this suffering.

Ah! Stupid claw, you made me get existential again!

I swear, if you don't grab a single toy, you're getting shoulder checked so hard...!

Okay, take 2.

Wow, an invisible toy! Wait, no, it's just nothing.

...At least it's finding new ways to disappoint me. Let's try again.

Yyyeeesss...

Perfect.

You've done it, Claw. You've saved yourself from the same fate which befalls you vending machine brethren.

Oh, the anticipation is killing me! Just drop it, you stainless steel seductress!

Excellent.

We'll store that cash away for later, and buy everything we need at once.

After some cheering, Grug begun to feel lucky.

A little...too lucky.

Lotto tickets seem like an excessive and wasteful use of money, so we'll of course tuck this away and do it later.

Time for breakfast.

Ah, goodie. Glad to see the shoulder check still rings true.

But it's high time Grug learned a new skill. You know, beyond shoulder checking.

Behold!

It's a DJ booth.

You can effectively use this as a job of sorts.

Until Grug saves up just enough money to get his own, we'll be stuck with the static two or three booths hidden around town.

Now then, let's see what kind of music we've got.

Uh-huh...

It's pretty limited until Grug gets better at using this thing.

Well, dubstep seems like the safe bet. Although I didn't know they still released modern music on vinyl.

We don't have much an audience right now, so let's just adjust the volume up a little bit. We should be able to attract people from the apartments surrounding this place.

I mean, if not from three counties over.

BBBbbbRRRbbbBBBrrrRRRbbbRRRbbbRRR-BBB-rrrRRR

On second thought, Grug's more of a "funk" kind of guy.

We'll just...throw that disc into the pool.

In a box. Tied to a rock. With a cursed magic seal or two.

♫♪ That's better. ♫♪

Anyways, the DJ booth is a neat little thing.

It takes a while to build up the skill at using it (which in of itself a "hidden skill" so you can't get a visual gauge of its progress), but I think it'll be worth it.

Lemmie hear everyone in the audience! Make some noise!

Woo-ooo!

Probably shouldn't have timed that in between songs. Really made that silence all the more awkward.

Uh, heh...uh...

S-sure.

Let's just...do some precautionary adjustments.

That's...

...Not a bad stage name, actually.

That's right, baby!

Drop that cash like we're dropping hot beats!

...We'll workshop Grug's stage callouts later.

Um, why was Grug tipped $950?

That had to be a fluke, because this isn't supposed to be that lucrative this early on.

But hey, I'm not complaining. With this money, we can finally get a few things we've been wishing for.

First up, a personalized DJ booth for Grug!

This one is portable, so Grug can DJ for cash wherever he pleases.

Secondly, a spray paint kit! Grug's feeling the need to express himself. All over town.

And last but certainly not least...

Plant.

I think it ties the office look together nicely.

Now then, where should Grug test his new spray paint kit first...?

...Ah. I know.

"KZZTBRRRZZZTT--ey. Uh... This is Jan..."

"♫♪ 'THE MAAA-AAAN' (WOOOAH-HO-HOOO) ♪♫"

"...McHarris. Um... Mrs. McHarris says I got to stop doing that since it's running up our electricity."

"Same with, you know...this voicebox...thing. But I'm too much of a fan of both to give it up that easy."

"So this morning I saw that our gas bill ain't as high as the electric."

"I-I mean, we use an electric space and water heater plus stove, so...we have a lot of propane...lying around?"

"I think that's how it works. So...that gave me an idea, and after ripping this thing apart, I've got the first and only gas powered voicebox in three counties over!"

"Or I would. But I think the propane tank uses a Japanese electrical outlet or something. Anyways, I'm out right now looking for a converter."

"'Till then, I...uh, 'improvised.' Besides, the voicebox is only there to keep people away, so that's all the 'gas powered' one has to do, too."

That...doesn't sound good.

Where's the off button on this thing?

"Once I get home, I'm going to crank up the heat, grill some brunch, and take a nice hot bath, so thanks and don't come again."

So--

What a twist.

You know what? Fine.

Plan B it is.

If we can't get back at our secretive neighbor, then we can at least mark our territory on this nightclub as revenge.

Beautiful.

Soon Grug's insignia will be plastered all over town.

Now that's taken care of...

AAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAA-AAAAAAAAA

Let's head inside for a bite to eat.

After all, this whole nightclub is Grug's domain, now!

...Even if we can't get into the VIP section.

With that out of the way, it's time to look the part now that Grug's a DJ, don't you agree?

I'm thinking a more "rave-y" look.

All that's left is to set up shop and let the money roll in!

A little funk...

...A little bass...

...Aaa-aaand...

...A little audience.

Maybe this place is a little too dead tonight.

Okay, time for Plan C.

Let's hit this disco club.

This is Club Rubb, which, despite being a "disco club," falls into the "dance club" category along with poolside clubs and...actual dance clubs.

Buildings like it should attract Sims who are in for a little dancing and music, so it's the perfect spot to attract an audience with the DJ booth.

It also has an intimidatingly gigantic pair of palm trees.

And Samara's here, too!

Grug waves hello.

And immediately wants to mooch money off of her.

Another time, perhaps. As for now, music.

This place already has a DJ booth set up and an audience just waiting to hear some music.

Let's get to work, shall we?

After a few hours of playing...

...And we soon get what looks like everyone within three counties over dancing to Grug's music!

Ah, you can practically hear Grug's non-existant bank account filling up!

Hey, everyone! Don't be afraid to tip your DJ!

Especially if you, say, were promoted just this morning!

What's that?

Why does everyone keeping asking that?

Sure thing, whatever. Just for you.

...Wait, Grug didn't adjust the volume on this--

RRRrrrBBBrrrRRRbbbBBBrrrBBBrrrBBB-RRR-bbbBBB

--booth.

Sorry, everyone! Not used to this booth. Couldn't find where the volume slider was.

So who wanted the dubstep?

...Probably should've just taken the disc off before looking for the volume.

Well, uh...at least we still have the employees listening to us. That's still something, right?

Yeah, Grug...kinda deserves this one.

Oh well. They make deny Grug's livelihood, and they may deny Grug's entry, but that can't deny that admittedly minimal work experience Grug gained.

So...anybody know a place to find a bed around here?

☑ Spray paint
☐ Use the computer to learn a skill
☐ Build a room (according to whimsy)
☑ Add a houseplant
☑ Drop some hot beats
☐ Build a basement

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 28, 2020

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Build a basement lair.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Build a basement lair.

This.

Grug needs a man cave evil lair. It's the best place to plan for the future. Move everything we've got on the surface down there.

I'd suggest he invests in a nice couch instead of a bed. You can still sleep on those, though it'll take a couple naps.

Later on, I'm thinking we get into the resale business to improve our chances at selling Grug's Grog later. Invest in some local products, hit up the consignment store and stick 'em there with a decent markup. Resale's easy, Grug doesn't have to do any work but schmooze people, and he's already great at that.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 28, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agreed, we need a Grug Den.

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
Yes. We need a Grug-Cave for our countless future nefarious deeds.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm gonna go the opposite direction and say build Grug Spire from whence Grug may look down upon the rabble.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Spire rising from the den?

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Spire rising from the den?

A tunnel down to the grug den, with another tunnel at the far end that rises into a spire with no other entrance or exit. Impractical and obnoxious, which I think suits Grug quite well

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

The cat clock must be lonely. Grug should get some more animal themed things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Das Panzer posted:

A tunnel down to the grug den, with another tunnel at the far end that rises into a spire with no other entrance or exit. Impractical and obnoxious, which I think suits Grug quite well

I support this notion.